Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joe Flacco seeking to be highest paid QB in football

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Eli is elite. Without Eli the Giants offense is terrible. I'm sick of reading this. Manning has more 4,000 yard seasons than Marino, Montana, and Elway COMBINED.

I have no doubt that Matt Moore has done more with less than Flacco. I wouldn't even franchise him.
    Well I am tired of hearing Eli is elite. He is not. He won two SBs because of defense and an extraordinarily lucky catch. Hell the giants would not have even been in the SB last year if the 49ers could have field just ONE of those three muffed punts.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Marisco going full derp.

Eli isn't elite, but he IS a good QB. Same with Flacco. People are just stuck in the ESPN bs and have this idea that a QB is either crap or he's elite. It's stupid, honestly.
    I will go one step further, Eli is VERY good QB. Would LOVE TO have him, but his team misses the playoffs (or gets knocked out first round) pretty frequently despite having ELITE Defensive lineman. His defense CARRIED him to his first SB. The second SB was all him like this past one was all Flacco. But that doesn't make him elite. ROdgers/Brady/Manning are elite. Flacco and Elli are just very good QBs that have some good season and some bad seasons.
    Last edited by revischrist; 02-06-2013 at 02:38 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Eli is elite. Without Eli the Giants offense is terrible. I'm sick of reading this. Manning has more 4,000 yard seasons than Marino, Montana, and Elway COMBINED.

I have no doubt that Matt Moore has done more with less than Flacco. I wouldn't even franchise him.
    How many QBs threw for 4K yards in Montana's time? 11 guys did it this year, including Carson Palmer. Is Carson ELITE?

In 1984 only 3 QBs threw for 4k yards and the guy in 4th place had 3500 yards (something more than half the NFL QBs did this past year). in 1985 only one QB threw for 4k yards (Marino). To compare the two eras is just ignorant.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe has got upside, get em' for all they got Joe.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    He's going to get it.
    Ravens have no choice.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Ravens have no choice.
    The golden rule still applies here.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Well I am tired of hearing Eli is elite. He is not. He won two SBs because of defense and an extraordinarily lucky catch. Hell the giants would not have even been in the SB last year if the 49ers could have field just ONE of those three muffed punts.
    Eli was definitely very fortunate. But those crowning Flacco should look at Eli as cautionary tale. After Eli had a very good postseason run last year, people just put him up there with the top guys and thought he would produce at that level. But his 2012 regular season was pretty much in line with career norms, and far outside the realm of elite QB play. Anyone expecting Flacco to come back next season, throw for 4,500 yards, 35+ TDs, and post a 100+ passer rating is going to be sorely disappointed. Just like they were with Eli. Neither guy is that type of player, they aren't good enough.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Flacco's a good, not great or elite, Quarterback who's going to get a hefty sum of money because of the circumstances of the last two months. He'll be paid as a Top 3 QB, but in two or three years his contract will reflect what he really is: a top 10, not top 5, QB. Plain and simple. Market value for someone coming off a VERY impressive five game stretch, when you include the last real Regular Season game for Baltimore, the Giants.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what all the fuss is about. The Ravens knew they were running a risk when they let him play out his contract and reach FA. Flacco has hit the mother load and the Ravens will have to overpay. That is what happens with FA.

The bigger issue is that I think this is going to make it harder for them to keep their young core on offense together. I can see this being Rice's last year b.c his salary and the emergence of Pierce. Kruger and Reed are likely gone on defense but they have to pay Ellerby.

What is worse. Paying Flacco $18MM or paying Sanchez $12.8MM??? Kind of gives things a different perspective, doesn't it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Flacco's a good, not great or elite, Quarterback who's going to get a hefty sum of money because of the circumstances of the last two months. He'll be paid as a Top 3 QB, but in two or three years his contract will reflect what he really is: a top 10, not top 5, QB. Plain and simple. Market value for someone coming off a VERY impressive five game stretch, when you include the last real Regular Season game for Baltimore, the Giants.
    Well, he can ask for 17.5 a year. It is Sanchez money

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianGreen View Post
    Well, he can ask for 17.5 a year. It is Sanchez money
    I expect his deal to be something along the lines of 6-7 years, $96-106 million.

Flacco's, not Sanchez's .. Lol.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I expect his deal to be something along the lines of 6-7 years, $96-106 million.

Now he is not, no.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    The golden rule still applies here.
    They can either pay him 6 and 100 or tag him at 14.7 this year, Who knows maybe the Bills will bite and give up the #8 and a 1 next year. The ravens can then keep most/all thier FA and sign Moore/Campbell/Smith. But if nobody bites?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    They can either pay him 6 and 100 or tag him at 14.7 this year, Who knows maybe the Bills will bite and give up the #8 and a 1 next year. The ravens can then keep most/all thier FA and sign Moore/Campbell/Smith. But if nobody bites?
    That's the non-exclusive tag. I doubt they'd tag him at that level for the reason you describe - its not worth it, from a PR or practical standpoint, to lose your Super Bowl winning QB to another team because you were too frugal to pay him.

The Ravens rolled the dice and lost on this one. The solace is that they lost this battle by virtue of winning a Super Bowl. Now they have to pay a premium price for having a top 10 QB. Sie la vie.

JMO, tagging him at $14.7m is more trouble than its worth, from a variety of standpoints. They'll get a long term deal done before the season. The lower tag # is just daring him to go shopping.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    Negotiating ploy....in the end he will likely "settle" for being the #4 or so highest paid.
    Just like the Revis tactic. Wants to be highest paid defensive player, but in the end will settle for highest paid DB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    Just like the Revis tactic. Wants to be highest paid defensive player, but in the end will settle for highest paid DB.
    Highest paid QB and highest paid DB is WAY different.

And since we're talking big contracts, I just laugh that Nnamdi is probably getting cut this year.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that's Eli Manning's contract and a decent comparable for Flacco.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The golden rule, he with the gold rules.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    To think that Flacco went 18th overall and we chose Gholston at #6. Not to mention that this was the year we signed Favre and had no long term answer at QB. The following year we were forced to trade up for Sanchez. What were we thinking?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Exactly. Flacco is an above average QB who had a really good stretch of 4 games in the playoffs. Prior to this stretch, my guess is he played around 90 career games. I bet he never had a 4 game stretch this good (at least with TD:INT ratio). What is more telling about him as a player? 90 games or 4?

If he were an elite QB, he'd be having elite regular seasons. Plain and simple
    His 'really good stretch' just happened to coincide with the changes the Ravens made on the O-line that enabled Flacco to suddenly become 'elite'.

Instead of just plugging in Bobbie Williams into Reid's spot, the Ravens moved right tackle Kelechi Osemele to left guard, shifted left tackle Michael Oher to the right side and put Bryant McKinnie in at left tackle. Baltimore has used this offensive line combination on every snap in the postseason after not using this lineup for one snap in the regular season.

The reshuffling has certainly paid off for the Ravens. Quarterback Joe Flacco has been sacked only four times on 99 dropbacks (one sack every 24.8 dropbacks) in the playoffs. That's much improved than getting sacked once every 16.3 dropbacks in the regular season.

"You’re really rolling the dice, switching guys around like that," right guard Marshal Yanda said. "You’re in the playoffs, so if something goes wrong or you have a bad game, we’re done and we’re not here right now. Those guys did a really good job of not missing a beat. That just speaks well to how good of players they are."

The key to the success of the offensive line has been left tackle Bryant McKinnie, who was almost not on the Ravens this year. Just before the regular season, McKinnie posted on Twitter that he had been released by the Ravens. But, after taking a $1 million pay cut, he remained with the team in a reserve role all regular season.

McKinnie, 33, has looked strong and fresh this postseason, allowing just one sack. Now, he'll go against 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith, who had 19.5 sacks in his first 13 games this season but none in his last five.
    So if Flacco gets his big payday maybe McKinnie and some of those other guys, along with Boldin and Jones who totally bailed Flacco out repeatedly, will walk if they can't get paid too. See how 'elite' you are when you're surrounded by them, Flacco.