Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61

Thread: Which team is in Salary cap hell???

  1. #21
    All is well. Remember about a week ago this came from Tanny:

    On the salary cap — a situation Tannenbaum was almost brazen in his defense: "You’ll see in the next six weeks how it will pay out. There was a plan … there’s a very detailed plan there."

    He added that he wouldn’t be surprised if new GM John Idzik followed his plan, with a few small tweaks, and said he’d be happy to come back on the radio in a few weeks to point it out.


    ... I really want to hear Tanny get back on the air and talk about it

  2. #22
    I don't think the Giants model is one that necessarily works or should be emulated. One thing the playoffs have taught us the past few years is they are a complete crapshoot and the best regular season team rarely wins. The winner has become somewhat random amongst the playoff field. To have the best chance to win it all, you need to put yourself in the playoffs every year and then hope you get the lucky breaks. Giants miss the playoffs frequently. While they got the breaks, you cannot rely on stuff like the helmet catch or Williams fumbling 2 punt returns. Those are flukes, Giants winning 2 SBs in 6 seasons, while missing the playoffs 3 out of those 6 seasons and generally winning only 9-10 games a year, is a 1 in a million shot. It'll never happen again.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    All is well. Remember about a week ago this came from Tanny:

    On the salary cap — a situation Tannenbaum was almost brazen in his defense: "You’ll see in the next six weeks how it will pay out. There was a plan … there’s a very detailed plan there."

    He added that he wouldn’t be surprised if new GM John Idzik followed his plan, with a few small tweaks, and said he’d be happy to come back on the radio in a few weeks to point it out.


    ... I really want to hear Tanny get back on the air and talk about it
    Yeah, Tebow was a detailed plan that would play out too, just wait a few more weeks and you will see him unleashed

    Tannenbaum cannot be trusted, if he takes credit for what Idzik does, he's also pathetic

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Ray, the Giants have earned the benefit of the doubt. That is what happens when you win 2 SBs. That is the difference.

    And they have the most important pieces in place. When you are great @ HC, QB, WR and DE you are in a pretty good position.
    Umm, false, that's a nice spin and all, and it doesn't work that way in NY

    If the Giants start a downward trend in performance due to having to make tough roster positions and a cap locked up by higher-end players, there won't be any forgiveness by the media, fans will eventually buy in.

    Your spin is that since they have a QB all else is good, that's the model to follow. Dan Marino was one of the best QB's ever, but never won a ring. Even the 2 SB's Eli and the Giants won, they were average teams that made a run at the end of the season after barely making the playoffs and being very inconsistent all year, not unlike their performance last year which wound up falling short since there was no such run, both years, not unlike the Jets years in 2009 and 2010, the teams made a run, most do, the Ravens did as well this past year.

    You're trying to equate the SB victory as a model for teams to follow, when in reality the Giants didn't benefit from a good model, they benefitted from having a good QB, and making a run with a number of breaks that went their way.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Umm, false, that's a nice spin and all, and it doesn't work that way in NY

    If the Giants start a downward trend in performance due to having to make tough roster positions and a cap locked up by higher-end players, there won't be any forgiveness by the media, fans will eventually buy in.

    Your spin is that since they have a QB all else is good, that's the model to follow. Dan Marino was one of the best QB's ever, but never won a ring. Even the 2 SB's Eli and the Giants won, they were average teams that made a run at the end of the season after barely making the playoffs and being very inconsistent all year, not unlike their performance last year which wound up falling short since there was no such run, both years, not unlike the Jets years in 2009 and 2010, the teams made a run, most do, the Ravens did as well this past year.

    You're trying to equate the SB victory as a model for teams to follow, when in reality the Giants didn't benefit from a good model, they benefitted from having a good QB, and making a run with a number of breaks that went their way.
    Coughlin is lucky to have Eli, who masks a lot of the deficiencies that the Giants have at OL. Eli is a tough SOB, who still plays at a high level when he gets his teeth kicked in.

    Coughlin's a good coach, but there's a rabbit's foot stuck up his a$$ somewhere that won't drop.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Yeah, Tebow was a detailed plan that would play out too, just wait a few more weeks and you will see him unleashed

    Tannenbaum cannot be trusted, if he takes credit for what Idzik does, he's also pathetic
    Not every team has a detailed plan from start to finish, some plans take on tangent decisions, especially as new opportunities to obtain a player become available.

    The Tebow move didn't work out, I still don't think Tanny should be the sole person to blame, so much more of the issues tied into the depleted talent on the field due to injuries, and perhaps an unwillingness and even an incompetence of Sparano to integrate and effectively deploy Tebow in the offense.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Coughlin is lucky to have Eli, who masks a lot of the deficiencies that the Giants have at OL. Eli is a tough SOB, who still plays at a high level when he gets his teeth kicked in.

    Coughlin's a good coach, but there's a rabbit's foot stuck up his a$$ somewhere that won't drop.
    Giants also regressed defensively this year, sure they have had a successful pass rush, but as Osi moves on, Tuck gets older, JP will lose his effectiveness. It isn't as if the Giants deploy a top LB and secondary.

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Umm, false, that's a nice spin and all, and it doesn't work that way in NY

    If the Giants start a downward trend in performance due to having to make tough roster positions and a cap locked up by higher-end players, there won't be any forgiveness by the media, fans will eventually buy in.

    Your spin is that since they have a QB all else is good, that's the model to follow. Dan Marino was one of the best QB's ever, but never won a ring. Even the 2 SB's Eli and the Giants won, they were average teams that made a run at the end of the season after barely making the playoffs and being very inconsistent all year, not unlike their performance last year which wound up falling short since there was no such run, both years, not unlike the Jets years in 2009 and 2010, the teams made a run, most do, the Ravens did as well this past year.

    You're trying to equate the SB victory as a model for teams to follow, when in reality the Giants didn't benefit from a good model, they benefitted from having a good QB, and making a run with a number of breaks that went their way.
    Ray, I am only speaking from my perspective. Not sure what I am spinning. I never even mentioned the Jets once in this thread. You spun my post to include the Jets.

    And I didn't say the Giants have a QB so all is good. IMO that is the biggest part of it but they have a good GM, great HC, great QB, great young WRs and a great young pass rusher. That is what I said. And that is why they are in good shape. The QB is the biggest reason but the rest of them are also huge factors.

    No spin. But you need to get over the fact that the Giants are treated differently b.c they have earned that. They have 4 SBs in the bank that they can draw on after lean years. We are bouncing checks.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Ray, I am only speaking from my perspective. Not sure what I am spinning. I never even mentioned the Jets once in this thread. You spun my post to include the Jets.

    And I didn't say the Giants have a QB so all is good. IMO that is the biggest part of it but they have a good GM, great HC, great QB, great young WRs and a great young pass rusher. That is what I said. And that is why they are in good shape. The QB is the biggest reason but the rest of them are also huge factors.

    No spin. But you need to get over the fact that the Giants are treated differently b.c they have earned that. They have 4 SBs in the bank that they can draw on after lean years. We are bouncing checks.
    You notorious for your doom and gloom and over pimping everything another team does to mock the Jets, so save it.

    The Giants aren't in necessarily "good shape" as you say, and I pointed out why this is wrong.

    I don't need to get over anything, I also don't need a history lesson from you, I'm well aware of their success, but that isn't the point in this thread.

    Fans and the media won't care about their SB victory if they falter again next season, we are talking about the same Giants team that the media tried to sabotage the team by ramping up the "fire Coughlin" mantra, only to see the team reel together and make a SB run. Bill Cowher has been the coach in waiting over their for 5 years, so dont' tell me or anyone about how they get a pass for anything.

    Their model isn't as impressive as you try to intimate, and their success as I've eluded to isn't any different from the success the Jets had in 09 and 10, the Jets just didn't make it over that final hurdle.

    The Jets really aren't in that bad of shape, it's just that whiny SOJF's like yourself try to spin it that way.

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    You notorious for your doom and gloom and over pimping everything another team does to mock the Jets, so save it.

    The Giants aren't in necessarily "good shape" as you say, and I pointed out why this is wrong.

    I don't need to get over anything, I also don't need a history lesson from you, I'm well aware of their success, but that isn't the point in this thread.

    Fans and the media won't care about their SB victory if they falter again next season, we are talking about the same Giants team that the media tried to sabotage the team by ramping up the "fire Coughlin" mantra, only to see the team reel together and make a SB run. Bill Cowher has been the coach in waiting over their for 5 years, so dont' tell me or anyone about how they get a pass for anything.

    Their model isn't as impressive as you try to intimate, and their success as I've eluded to isn't any different from the success the Jets had in 09 and 10, the Jets just didn't make it over that final hurdle.

    The Jets really aren't in that bad of shape, it's just that whiny SOJF's like yourself try to spin it that way.
    Well if their fans are anything like you, then they should be content for the next 50 years from winning the two Super Bowls. You knock the Giants by saying they barely got into the playoffs the years they won the Super Bowl and were "lucky" to win them, YET you speak of the Jets two runs to the AFCCG like they were some great accomplishments. IF the Jets ever won a Super Bowl in the manner the Giants did you would be defending it till you turned blue or got banned yet again.

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    You notorious for your doom and gloom and over pimping everything another team does to mock the Jets, so save it.

    The Giants aren't in necessarily "good shape" as you say, and I pointed out why this is wrong.

    I don't need to get over anything, I also don't need a history lesson from you, I'm well aware of their success, but that isn't the point in this thread.

    Fans and the media won't care about their SB victory if they falter again next season, we are talking about the same Giants team that the media tried to sabotage the team by ramping up the "fire Coughlin" mantra, only to see the team reel together and make a SB run. Bill Cowher has been the coach in waiting over their for 5 years, so dont' tell me or anyone about how they get a pass for anything.

    Their model isn't as impressive as you try to intimate, and their success as I've eluded to isn't any different from the success the Jets had in 09 and 10, the Jets just didn't make it over that final hurdle.

    The Jets really aren't in that bad of shape, it's just that whiny SOJF's like yourself try to spin it that way.
    OK, I will agree to disagree with you about what kind of shape the Giants in.

    But please show me where I said the Giants had an impressive model? That is not up for interpretation. I never said anything about the Giants model. Not sure where are you getting that from. You invented that argument.

    For the record. I believe the Giants are strong in most of the key areas. GM, HC, QB, WR, DE, etc. And because of that I feel it is much easier for them to turn things around compared to other teams, especially the Jets (since you brought them up).

    As for the Giants getting the benefit of the doubt all you have to do is look no further than them missing the playoffs was treated this year. Fans were upset but the worst thing I heard from any Giants fan was wanting to replace the DC. Yes, before Coughlin and Eli won there were many questioning them. Meyers called for Coughlin to be fired. But once they won, they built up currency. After 2 SBs, this current Giants regime (GM, HC, QB) pretty much has carte blanche now. The worst thing that could happen after a down year is Coughlin could retire and start the countdown to his Canton induction speech.

  12. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post


    The Jets really aren't in that bad of shape.

  13. #33
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,757
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    LOL.

    We just fired our GM and may have to trade our franchise player.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Not every team has a detailed plan from start to finish, some plans take on tangent decisions, especially as new opportunities to obtain a player become available.

    The Tebow move didn't work out, I still don't think Tanny should be the sole person to blame, so much more of the issues tied into the depleted talent on the field due to injuries, and perhaps an unwillingness and even an incompetence of Sparano to integrate and effectively deploy Tebow in the offense.
    Defending Tannenbaum? Good god man give it a rest. Effectively deploy Tebow is an oxymoron, he's a crummy football player and the move was awful the second it was conceived.

    Your comments on the Giants in this thread actually haven't been terrible, if you would just stop with the over the top nutty defense of anything and everything Jets you'd probably get a lot more respect on this board. You also loved the Sparano hire and defended it to death when it happened, now that the team has let him go, you're the first to throw him entirely under the bus. Hilarious

  15. #35
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    You notorious for your doom and gloom and over pimping everything another team does to mock the Jets, so save it.

    The Giants aren't in necessarily "good shape" as you say, and I pointed out why this is wrong.

    I don't need to get over anything, I also don't need a history lesson from you, I'm well aware of their success, but that isn't the point in this thread.

    Fans and the media won't care about their SB victory if they falter again next season, we are talking about the same Giants team that the media tried to sabotage the team by ramping up the "fire Coughlin" mantra, only to see the team reel together and make a SB run. Bill Cowher has been the coach in waiting over their for 5 years, so dont' tell me or anyone about how they get a pass for anything.

    Their model isn't as impressive as you try to intimate, and their success as I've eluded to isn't any different from the success the Jets had in 09 and 10, the Jets just didn't make it over that final hurdle.

    The Jets really aren't in that bad of shape, it's just that whiny SOJF's like yourself try to spin it that way.




  16. #36
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Umm, false, that's a nice spin and all, and it doesn't work that way in NY

    If the Giants start a downward trend in performance due to having to make tough roster positions and a cap locked up by higher-end players, there won't be any forgiveness by the media, fans will eventually buy in.

    Your spin is that since they have a QB all else is good, that's the model to follow. Dan Marino was one of the best QB's ever, but never won a ring. Even the 2 SB's Eli and the Giants won, they were average teams that made a run at the end of the season after barely making the playoffs and being very inconsistent all year, not unlike their performance last year which wound up falling short since there was no such run, both years, not unlike the Jets years in 2009 and 2010, the teams made a run, most do, the Ravens did as well this past year.

    You're trying to equate the SB victory as a model for teams to follow, when in reality the Giants didn't benefit from a good model, they benefitted from having a good QB, and making a run with a number of breaks that went their way.
    Good Post...

    Nice to see you posting!!

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Defending Tannenbaum? Good god man give it a rest. Effectively deploy Tebow is an oxymoron, he's a crummy football player and the move was awful the second it was conceived.

    Your comments on the Giants in this thread actually haven't been terrible, if you would just stop with the over the top nutty defense of anything and everything Jets you'd probably get a lot more respect on this board. You also loved the Sparano hire and defended it to death when it happened, now that the team has let him go, you're the first to throw him entirely under the bus. Hilarious
    I'm not defending the Jets or Tannenbaum, I commented on the Tebow move and the SOJF mantra that everything is doom and gloom, that the GM should have an exact plan, blah blah blah

    Maybe if SOJF would stop balling their eyes out, they'd actually be able to see things aren't that bad.

  18. #38
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,757
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Effectively deploy Tebow is an oxymoron, he's a crummy football player and the move was awful the second it was conceived.
    Brilliant. Perfectly said.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    LOL.

    We just fired our GM and may have to trade our franchise player.
    We don't have to trade our franchise player because of the team's cap situation, aka the point of this thread.

  20. #40
    Guys, stop the nonsense. There isn't a Jets fan in his/her right mind that wouldn't swap the Giants organization fot the Jets in a "New York" Minute. The only thing the Jets have in common with the Giants is that they play in the same stadium. This from a 33 year season ticket holder. It's like comparing the Beatles to the Partridge family. Stop wasting everybody's time, and come back to planet Earth.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us