Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Snowpocalpse 2013

Jets Insider VIP

Exclamation Snowpocalpse 2013

Im so working from home tomorrow irregardless (*****es)

http://gawker.com/snowpocalypse/

NYC Will Get Either 3 or 30 Inches of Snow This Weekend

Have you made plans for this weekend that include traveling outside of your house for even the briefest moment? Cancel them! Or maybe make more of them? The Northeast is about to get walloped or tenderly caressed with either a couple inches or a couple feet of snow.

Current forecasts place the total amount somewhere between 2.6 and 29.3 inches.

Such is the maddening, exhilarating unpredictability of weather patterns on this rock-and-lava spinning blueberry we call home.

Right now, all we know for certain is that when you emerge from your hoarder's lair on Saturday morning, there will be some sort of weather occurring in earth's atmosphere. It might be rain; it might be snow; it might be "cold, sunny day" or "fire-clouds." Whatever the outcome, have no fear: There will be plenty of oxygen and adequate air pressure to keep your blood in a fluid state.

In search of answers, we turn to machines. Here's what three computer weather models are predicting for this weekend's precipitation:

USA! USA!
    Right now, American (GFS) computer models are predicting a few inches of snow for much of the tri-state: a little over two inches for New York City; under an inch for much of New Jersey. Some of it might be rain. The sky-water is expected to start falling Thursday night through Friday morning, but the the brunt of the storm probably won't hit until late Friday night.

Combat equivalent: Gloved slap across the face

The European Model: So Hot Right Now
    The European model, like a European model, is much more intimidating (and mean). According to the ECMWF (European Center for Medium range Weather Forecasting — boring name; brainstorm improvements while trapped in your home this weekend), the amount of snow in New York could reach over a foot by Saturday evening (about 15 inches). The European model is generally considered by meteorologists to be the most accurate (it was the first to accurately predict the track of Hurricane Sandy).

Combat equivalent: Punishing right hook

Utter Annihilation by Snow
    The third model, the RPM (Rapid Precision Mesoscale), is calling for a staggering amount of snow: almost thirty inches in New York City. If this turns out to be correct, society as we know it will crumble. The wealthiest members—those who can afford to eat out every night—will starve in their stairwells, while those capable of whipping up a Thanksgiving feast from a few packets of Ramen, some sriracha, and a cat that died of "natural causes" will emerge as chieftains; perhaps even gods.

Combat equivalent: Bayonet through the entrails, plus a head butt, plus all your teeth falling out in an unrelated incident

In any case: Be careful out there this weekend or don't be careful because you don't need to be.

Hall Of Fame
    SAR is going with the American model so he doesn't have to spring for a generator.

Jets Insider VIP
    From what i've seen I dont expect anything extreme for the NYC area...4-8 inches no big deal.

Boston on the other hand...

Also no weather thread can be complete without a big F U to the weather channel. Naming winter storms, hyping up the hysteria. **** should be illegal.

No worries. I have plenty of vino and beer, so all is well.

Hall Of Fame
    I just heard that it's supposed to now be moderate in Vewrmont but epic further south. Yes they said "epic".

Would be nice if Sooth made Ruby a mod for his last few days. Make a Wish Foundation type thing.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    From what i've seen I dont expect anything extreme for the NYC area...4-8 inches no big deal.

Boston on the other hand...

Also no weather thread can be complete without a big F U to the weather channel. Naming winter storms, hyping up the hysteria. **** should be illegal.
    Weather.gov. Nothing but poorly drawn maps and lines of text that make you google meteorological terms. Just the way I like it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    From what i've seen I dont expect anything extreme for the NYC area
    Ruby has analyzed the weather data, everyone can relax

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Ruby has analyzed the weather data, everyone can relax
    I was president of the weather club in 4th grade biotches!

It's been nice knowing you all.

I have a concert to go to tomorrow this better NOT CANCEL IT !

Quote Originally Posted by Gata View Post
    I have a concert to go to tomorrow this better NOT CANCEL IT !
    Bieber?

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Bieber?
    Passion Pit

Passion Pit
    Interesting band. How would you classify them? Electronic-Pop?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bmg3h7RSM4

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Was supposed to leave tomorrow eve to go skiing, so of course, ironically, snow may prevent me. Guess I have to play this one completely by ear.

Either way, every channel will have hoody jacketed mongos standing on the side of roads ALL DAY going (SuperSLeet13 ominous theme music)...."YOu can see the plow behind me....dont know where he's going...(bends down)..this is a substance known as sleet...are you getting this..it sometimes comes before Snow, so yes, this is starting...(runs up to car) Hello, why are you out here...in the storm (Driver; Ees no snow ees rain?) There you have it ladies and gentlemen, back to you in the studio, Bob, Jim, DOnna and Dr Steve.

-

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    SAR is going with the American model so he doesn't have to spring for a generator.
    I was all set to spend $10,000 on a whole-house generator, chose the model, had a plumber and electrician already to go, and then found out from PSE&G that we are on incredibly low-pressure gas and can't have a natural gas generator.

So, as a result, I am generator-less for this storm.

SAR I

No worries. I have plenty of vino and beer, so all is well.
    What type of guitar is your new avatar?

Interesting band. How would you classify them? Electronic-Pop?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bmg3h7RSM4
    I classify them as Indie ... Now gone mainstream ...
    but Electronic Alternative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bfseWNmlds

This will be the second time I see them ... They were at the Wellmont theater like 2 yrs ago for NYE much smaller venue compared to MSG

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    What type of guitar is your new avatar?
    That's my new "baby". A Taylor 214ce.

I've had it a few months putting it through its paces. Absolutely love the action on the ebony neck as well as the booming tone. I played just about everything in my price range (+/-$1,200) and kept coming back to it. Actually worked out a deal with Sweetwater to buy it for about $850!

I classify them as Indie ... Now gone mainstream ...
    but Electronic Alternative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bfseWNmlds

This will be the second time I see them ... They were at the Wellmont theater like 2 yrs ago for NYE much smaller venue compared to MSG
    Thanks. Have a blast at the show.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

That's my new "baby". A Taylor 214ce.

I've had it a few months putting it through its paces. Absolutely love the action on the ebony neck as well as the booming tone. I played just about everything in my price range (+/-$1,200) and kept coming back to it. Actually worked out a deal with Sweetwater to buy it for about $850!

Did it only come in black?

Got the big 5-0 coming up and it may require some expenditure.

Im ashamed to say my 30 year old GUild (I'm original owner) is trashed to shyte. My brother dropped it down the stairs years ago, cracked the top pretty good and I stopped really babying it since. No excuse, I just got sloppy with it.

-