Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Snowpocalpse 2013

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    yup. Full family or just the wife?
    Full family. 7 days. February school vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Me too, in March. First time, just the kids, wifes away on Business.

Info, pronto.
    First time at the Keys, needed to have a flight under 3 hours, needed warmth, couldn't do Captiva a 4th time or Disney a 100th time, always wanted to get down there but never did.

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Which key? They are all quite different. I much prefer Marathon myself vs. Largo or Key West, but that depends on what you look for in a vacation.
    Duck Key. Hawks Cay Resort. 5 minutes from Marathon. Seems to be one of the top places to do the Keys with kids from what I've read.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    if you enjoy water activities like snorkeling, scuba, jetskis, fishing then you'll have a blast. I like Marathon too for family. Good choice. If just you and Mrs SAR then Key West for sure. Great night life clubs bars and lounges all night long. But not frenetic like New Orleans.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Meh looks like my 4-8 inches will be accurate.

We missed this one unfortunately.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Meh looks like my 4-8 inches will be accurate.

We missed this one unfortunately.
    Where are you getting that info?

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Where are you getting that info?

SAR I
    Just looking out my window I see about 4 inches. It has been snowing steady since 2pm. Unless this thing picks up some serious gusto I don't see Bergen County getting much more. All the radar has the serious bands to the east of us. LI, CT, Mass are gonna get pimped, NJ is gonna be just a regular snow storm.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Just looking out my window I see about 4 inches. It has been snowing steady since 2pm. Unless this thing picks up some serious gusto I don't see Bergen County getting much more. All the radar has the serious bands to the east of us. LI, CT, Mass are gonna get pimped, NJ is gonna be just a regular snow storm.
    If this is just gonna be a regular storm, I'm comin after cookie monsta.....he'll have alotta splainin' to do.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    If this is just gonna be a regular storm, I'm comin after cookie monsta.....he'll have alotta splainin' to do.....
    LMAO

I know.

I got excited too.

Seriously though, from everything I have looked at, I do think for eastern LI, CT and Southern Mass this is gonna be pretty epic as in 2 feet of snow. For us though, not so much.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Affirmative. From Lonnie Quinn, 8:56 PM

Parts of the area expected to see high snow totals. They include:

Ho-Ho-Kus, New Jersey: 10 inches
    Andover, New Jersey: 12 inches
    Central Park: 8 inches
    Stony Brook, Long Island: 15 inches
    Danbury, Connecticut: 16 inches

Snow accumulations on Saturday morning are expected to range from 10 to 14 inches north of the city, Quinn said. The city, itself, is expected to get about 7 to 10 inches. On Long Island, 10-15 inches is expected.

Areas west and south of New York City are expected to get 3 to 6 inches.

“Maybe it’s going to back off a little bit, maybe an inch or two less than what I was thinking yesterday,” Quinn said.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Affirmative. From Lonnie Quinn, 8:56 PM

Parts of the area expected to see high snow totals. They include:

Ho-Ho-Kus, New Jersey: 10 inches
    Andover, New Jersey: 12 inches
    Central Park: 8 inches
    Stony Brook, Long Island: 15 inches
    Danbury, Connecticut: 16 inches

Snow accumulations on Saturday morning are expected to range from 10 to 14 inches north of the city, Quinn said. The city, itself, is expected to get about 7 to 10 inches. On Long Island, 10-15 inches is expected.

Areas west and south of New York City are expected to get 3 to 6 inches.

“Maybe it’s going to back off a little bit, maybe an inch or two less than what I was thinking yesterday,” Quinn said.

SAR I
    Wow!!!!!!

12 inches!!!!!!

Woah!!!!

Wow!!!

Grow a pair.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Full family. 7 days. February school vacation.

First time at the Keys, needed to have a flight under 3 hours, needed warmth, couldn't do Captiva a 4th time or Disney a 100th time, always wanted to get down there but never did.

Duck Key. Hawks Cay Resort. 5 minutes from Marathon. Seems to be one of the top places to do the Keys with kids from what I've read.

SAR I
    What mm is duck key? I've been to islamorada a bunch to fish. If you think the kids are interested, definitely consider taking them fishing - some of the best around there and many restaurants will cook your catch for you.

Drive down to key west for a day - a fun ride (if you can swing a convertible, even better) and a fun place to be. It's cool to show the kids the southern most point in the continental US.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I know Marathon pretty well. Not really any good beaches in the Keys, but Bahia Honda a little south will work OK if the kids are young. A few fun activities if you're looking for something to do...

Snorkle or scuba Looe Key (there are dive boats out of Big Pine Key).

Late lunch or early dinner at the No Name Pub on Big Pine Key (the food is just fine, no more, but the atmosphere is true old Keys). Combine it with critter watching (the Blue Hole on Big Pine Key for turtles, birds, and a gator or two; No Name Key for Key deer).

Day or evening trip to Key West. If you go in the day, the Hemingway House is worth checking out. Check out the street shows at Mallory Pier at sunset. Schooner Wharf is a fun, sand floor bar with good live music and a relaxed atmosphere. After dark look in the boat slips alongside and you'll see some enormous tarpon.

The Stuffed Pig in Marathon is a good place to get breakfast. Try for a seat at one of the tables out back.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heaviest snowfall of the day right now in Cliffside Park, NJ.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's official: This is the least-threatening 12 inches of snow since 1993.

http://http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=StlMdNcvCJo
    Last edited by adpz; 02-08-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    It's official: This is the least-threatening 12 inches of snow since 1993.

http://http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=StlMdNcvCJo
    you take that back.

Snow was the ****

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    you take that back.

Snow was the ****
    Lol - I was actually just listening to it. Guy could definitely do the dancehall rap thing, for real. But living down the dorky whiteness and Canadian angle proved too much (the Jim Carrey parody was the last nail in).

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    What mm is duck key? I've been to islamorada a bunch to fish. If you think the kids are interested, definitely consider taking them fishing - some of the best around there and many restaurants will cook your catch for you.

Drive down to key west for a day - a fun ride (if you can swing a convertible, even better) and a fun place to be. It's cool to show the kids the southern most point in the continental US.
    Mile Marker 61. We're going to look into fishing, my boys have done it before with their grandfather, just don't want to go too far out in the ocean. I'm assuming there are charters that just go a few yards out.

Definitely going to go to Key West, will likely make it an afternoon trip so we can catch a glimpse of some of the nightlife.

Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    I know Marathon pretty well. Not really any good beaches in the Keys, but Bahia Honda a little south will work OK if the kids are young. A few fun activities if you're looking for something to do...

Snorkle or scuba Looe Key (there are dive boats out of Big Pine Key).

Late lunch or early dinner at the No Name Pub on Big Pine Key (the food is just fine, no more, but the atmosphere is true old Keys). Combine it with critter watching (the Blue Hole on Big Pine Key for turtles, birds, and a gator or two; No Name Key for Key deer).

Day or evening trip to Key West. If you go in the day, the Hemingway House is worth checking out. Check out the street shows at Mallory Pier at sunset. Schooner Wharf is a fun, sand floor bar with good live music and a relaxed atmosphere. After dark look in the boat slips alongside and you'll see some enormous tarpon.

The Stuffed Pig in Marathon is a good place to get breakfast. Try for a seat at one of the tables out back.
    Awesome list, thanks so much.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mile Marker 61. We're going to look into fishing, my boys have done it before with their grandfather, just don't want to go too far out in the ocean. I'm assuming there are charters that just go a few yards out.

Definitely going to go to Key West, will likely make it an afternoon trip so we can catch a glimpse of some of the nightlife.

Awesome list, thanks so much.

SAR I
    NP. A few things I should have put in my original post...

Looe Key is called a Key but it's really a reef a few miles out (that's why you need a dive boat to get there). The dive boats are pretty reasonably priced as I recall. The water at Looe Key is not nearly as clear as the Bahamas, and there aren't as many pretty fish, but there's still plenty to see. There are some ENORMOUS baracuda.

The No Name Pub, Blue Hole, and No Name Key are all within a few miles of one another, that's in part why I grouped them together. No Name Key connects to Big Pine Key via a bridge. At the foot of the bridge there's a place you can rent kayaks if you want to do some exploring on your own (no idea if the rates are decent or not).

Food in the Keys is mediocre so it's best to set your expectations accordingly. Since it's a string of coral islands, obviously nothing is grown locally. And even the produce that's trucked in is largely flavorless Florida-grown crap. It's not unlike the Carribean...a few very expensive places with decent cooks and fresh ingredients but the majority are serving reheated, flash-frozen stuff. So unless you're in one of the few truly upscale restaurants, for a good meal your best bet is to order either the local seafood or things that travel well and are hard to screw up (breakfast foods, burgers, etc.).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ A&B Lobster House in Key West, if its still there, had great seafood, and a really good raw bar.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    As for the snow, probably got about 2 to 2.5 feet where I am. Snow is up to the mailboxes on my street, and thats before plows. Some of the drifts here are nuts. I'll try and take some pics later.