Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: The value of late round picks...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

The value of late round picks...

One of my pet peeves about Tanny was always about his total disregard for late round picks. I'm not talking about using picks to move up or to trade for vets but moreso moves like giving Rex his one pick, using a late rounder on Sanchez's buddy, dumb trades like Leon Washington AND a 6th rounder for a 5th.

Last year there was 500 UDFA picked up by NFL teams after the draft, that is about the number each and every year. One 7th round pick puts you at the head of this list. Each year after the draft we get our wish lists of guys that did not get drafted that we would like to take a flyer on but these guys control their own destiny and will go where they feel they have the best chance to make a team or for financial considerations.

The Jets have UDFA in the system such as:

Josh Baker
    Nick Bellore
    Jeff Cumberland
    Mike Devito
    Damon Harrison
    Howard Austin
    Robert Malone
    Brandon Moore

Some prospects, some roster filler, some quality vets.

I haven't even listed some of the good 6th and 7th round players in the league. If you look at some of the top teams in this league many of them have had a lot of picks over the years. Do a lot of them not pan out and get cut? Yes. But a lot of gems have been found as well.

My point behind this long winded post is that people should never take these late round picks for granted and treat them like throwaways or garbage.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    One of my pet peeves about Tanny was always about his total disregard for late round picks. I'm not talking about using picks to move up or to trade for vets but moreso moves like giving Rex his one pick, using a late rounder on Sanchez's buddy, dumb trades like Leon Washington AND a 6th rounder for a 5th.

Last year there was 500 UDFA picked up by NFL teams after the draft, that is about the number each and every year. One 7th round pick puts you at the head of this list. Each year after the draft we get our wish lists of guys that did not get drafted that we would like to take a flyer on but these guys control their own destiny and will go where they feel they have the best chance to make a team or for financial considerations.

Josh Baker
    Nick Bellore
    Jeff Cumberland
    Mike Devito
    Damon Harrison
    Howard Austin
    Robert Malone
    Brandon Moore

I haven't even listed some of the good 6th and 7th round players in the league. If you look at some of the top teams in this league many of them have had a lot of picks over the years. Do a lot of them not pan out and get cut? Yes. But a lot of gems have been found as well.

My point behind this long winded post is that people should never take these late round picks for granted and treat them like throwaways or garbage.
    Agreed 100%
    Late Round draft picks and quality UDFA is where you build your depth. Im not counting on these guys necessarily being starters. Im talking about guys who can be quality back ups and rotation players as well as excellent special teamers.

It seems Tanny never made this a priority.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Josh Baker
    Nick Bellore
    Jeff Cumberland
    Mike Devito
    Damon Harrison
    Howard Austin
    Robert Malone
    Brandon Moore

Well said. I hope Idzik is one of us.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Josh Baker
    Nick Bellore
    Jeff Cumberland
    Mike Devito
    Damon Harrison
    Howard Austin
    Robert Malone
    Brandon Moore

I agree 100% and my impression is that Idzik gets that as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just never understood his 6th-7th rounders. Even when they where good players they where guys that had very little shot at making the team. We had clear shots at guys like Billy Winn, Emmanuel Acho, Alfonzo Dennard, Travis Lewis, Audie Cole, Cam Johnson, Junior Hemingway, and Andrew Datko. You know guys that would have actually made us a better team. For what? A RB, SS, and WR who had 0 shot at making the active roster! To move up a few spots to get some guy that would have been there where we where at? Last year I would have stacked up on every late round OLB I could but know not Tanny. I think Cam and Acho would have been a huge OLB upgrade. With 6th round picks!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Josh Baker
    Nick Bellore
    Jeff Cumberland
    Mike Devito
    Damon Harrison
    Howard Austin
    Robert Malone
    Brandon Moore

+1
    Wayne Chrebet was a walk on; Tom Brady a 6th rounder

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I just never understood his 6th-7th rounders. Even when they where good players they where guys that had very little shot at making the team. We had clear shots at guys like Billy Winn, Emmanuel Acho, Alfonzo Dennard, Travis Lewis, Audie Cole, Cam Johnson, Junior Hemingway, and Andrew Datko. You know guys that would have actually made us a better team. For what? A RB, SS, and WR who had 0 shot at making the active roster! To move up a few spots to get some guy that would have been there where we where at? Last year I would have stacked up on every late round OLB I could but know not Tanny. I think Cam and Acho would have been a huge OLB upgrade. With 6th round picks!
    Excellent points. I'm still upset on not drafting Arthur Jones who has been a HEIST of a 7th rounder and would have filled a need at the time

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

The Jets have mismanaged these picks for yrs

These are the picks where you should be taking chances on former top performing players who fell to injury or have fallen off in production due to reasons that are not related to character issues. Undrafted Free Agency which follows the draft should be used to sign as many former high performering players whose character flaws have cause them to fall out of the draft or as many small school high performing players with potential high upside and solid character.

Jets have no QB, so players like Jeff Tuel and Sean Renfree should interest them in the late rounds. Jets need an impact RB, so players like Christine Micheal and Lattimore should interest them in these late rounds. Jets need versatile OLmen, so players like Chris Faulk, David Bakhtiari and Manase Foketi should interest them late. Jets need LBers who can get to the QB but still set the edge, and so, are there any players who fit this criterior.