Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: The free agent nobody is talking about: Brandon Moore

  1. #1

    The free agent nobody is talking about: Brandon Moore

    Moore has been a rock at RG over the years. He seems like the kind of player we won't miss until he's actually gone. Without him to run behind it'll leave a gaping hole at RG and we will have o-line problems (especially if they try to replace Slauson with Ducasse). Not to mention inexperience at the guard position will put even more pressure on Austin Howard, who may not be ready to handle it.

    Everyone is talking about the skill positions on offense (and rightly so), but it seems the o-line will also be a weak link next season as well. Could be a loooong year.

    Moore is the kind of player who could sign with a good team that is trying to plug in the last couple of missing pieces for a championship run.
    Last edited by JetsCrazey; 02-08-2013 at 01:32 AM.

  2. #2
    Moore will get a run during FA for sure. But I think the market is going to be not that lucrative. My guess is 2 years 6 mill tops, he has only played RG so that limits him vs Thomas, Boothe, Rhinehart all of whom played both sides of the center. Boothe even played Center.

    But I still think he is one of the top 5 guards in FA, it is just that he is 33

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,094
    Was a rock.

    Last season however he was clearly either fourth best or arguably the fifth best of the five starters on the OL. At 33 he is clearly on the 17th green of the back nine too.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Was a rock.

    Last season however he was clearly either fourth best or arguably the fifth best of the five starters on the OL. At 33 he is clearly on the 17th green of the back nine too.
    That golf analogy is great. I agree, I think his play was great in 2011 but dropped off last year. I also think there's going to be a team that's going to ante up to where we won't be able to afford to bring him back...a team like Green Bay for example.

  5. #5
    Great NY Jets player. Better to have him out a year to early though
    Last edited by Jetdawgg; 02-08-2013 at 09:11 AM.

  6. #6
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    That golf analogy is great. I agree, I think his play was great in 2011 but dropped off last year. I also think there's going to be a team that's going to ante up to where we won't be able to afford to bring him back...a team like Green Bay for example.
    Well I like Moore too but we are the new smarter Jets and we don't overpay for anybody, right? So I guess he is as good as gone. I wouldn't mind if we slightly overpay to keep him as a life time Jet but I doubt that that is in the cards. Some other team will outbid us.

    I don't want a FA retread so I guess it comes down to how much should we overpay to avoid having to spend a valued draft pick on a guard.
    Last edited by LIJetsFan; 02-08-2013 at 08:08 AM.

  7. #7
    This is funny.

    Some thought he was better in 2011 than he was in 2012? I think the exact opposite. After 2011 I was ready to part ways with him because he played so dreadfully at times, but coming back from back surgery could do that to a player for a year. After last season I'd like to have him back for another year if possible, because in my eyes he did improve and look more like the Moore of old especially in the ground game, but more likely than not someone will overpay for his veteran leadership/services.

    Like it or not he was our third best lineman for a long time and although Austin Howard is starting to get hype again (why, I have no freaking idea), we're in trouble at both Guard spots and RT without Moore. Howard can have all the "promise" you'd like, but facts remain facts: He allowed the second most sacks of any T in the NFL last season and the guy has had three or four years of NFL experience under his belt. How much better is he going to get? And if Vlad Ducasse is the answer at LG, well then, we're screwed. He's a decent run blocker and still can't protect against the pass to save a lick, but that's exactly what the team was trying to transition to last season by giving him a quarter of the snaps.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    This is funny.

    Some thought he was better in 2011 than he was in 2012? I think the exact opposite. After 2011 I was ready to part ways with him because he played so dreadfully at times, but coming back from back surgery could do that to a player for a year. After last season I'd like to have him back for another year if possible, because in my eyes he did improve and look more like the Moore of old especially in the ground game, but more likely than not someone will overpay for his veteran leadership/services.

    Like it or not he was our third best lineman for a long time and although Austin Howard is starting to get hype again (why, I have no freaking idea), we're in trouble at both Guard spots and RT without Moore. Howard can have all the "promise" you'd like, but facts remain facts: He allowed the second most sacks of any T in the NFL last season and the guy has had three or four years of NFL experience under his belt. How much better is he going to get? And if Vlad Ducasse is the answer at LG, well then, we're screwed. He's a decent run blocker and still can't protect against the pass to save a lick, but that's exactly what the team was trying to transition to last season by giving him a quarter of the snaps.
    Theres a few things that are important to remember with regard to some of the sacks Howard allowed.

    First off, we knew he was the "weak link" on the Oline as did every defense we faced....but did we give him TE help, nope. Now part of that is because our TEs couldnt block anyway, but sparano had no clue how to "protect" a lineman.

    To further the above, one of the biggest problems with our offense both under schotty and sparano is the fact that we dont run screen passes or misdirections. Much of that blame falls on sanchez as for whatever reaseon, he is terrible at it (see his multiple INTs off it starting with his first career preseason pass that was a pick 6). Screens force Dlineman to at least think about not rushing full speed. This was so evident vs SD when they rushed/blitzed mcelroy all day while playing man coverage and our only 2 successful plays were a screen to greene and a misdirection to hayden smith, and yet we only ran 2 of them. Awful coaching.

    Lastly, sanchez has also never changed a protection at the line, even at the most basic level of moving the back from one side to the other if he sees a potential blitzer. It cannot be understated how important this is. Sanchez didnt need to be peyton in the sense of calling all the protections at the line, but to start for 4 years and still not be able to have an inkling where the blitz is coming from is pathetic and has really hurt the lines ability to pass protect.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    3,124
    Never over-pay for an OG.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Moore has been a rock at RG over the years. He seems like the kind of player we won't miss until he's actually gone. Without him to run behind it'll leave a gaping hole at RG and we will have o-line problems (especially if they try to replace Slauson with Ducasse). Not to mention inexperience at the guard position will put even more pressure on Austin Howard, who may not be ready to handle it.

    Everyone is talking about the skill positions on offense (and rightly so), but it seems the o-line will also be a weak link next season as well. Could be a loooong year.

    Moore is the kind of player who could sign with a good team that is trying to plug in the last couple of missing pieces for a championship run.
    A friend of mine who is a big Jets fan, said the Jets plan on resigning Moore, but only at a much reduced price.

    I think that would make sense for both sides. Moore is in the twilight of his career at this point. He should be happy he could stay playing under Rex and the Jets get a very competent Guard and smooth transition to a new Guard.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    This is funny.

    Some thought he was better in 2011 than he was in 2012? I think the exact opposite. After 2011 I was ready to part ways with him because he played so dreadfully at times, but coming back from back surgery could do that to a player for a year. After last season I'd like to have him back for another year if possible, because in my eyes he did improve and look more like the Moore of old especially in the ground game, but more likely than not someone will overpay for his veteran leadership/services.

    Like it or not he was our third best lineman for a long time and although Austin Howard is starting to get hype again (why, I have no freaking idea), we're in trouble at both Guard spots and RT without Moore. Howard can have all the "promise" you'd like, but facts remain facts: He allowed the second most sacks of any T in the NFL last season and the guy has had three or four years of NFL experience under his belt. How much better is he going to get? And if Vlad Ducasse is the answer at LG, well then, we're screwed. He's a decent run blocker and still can't protect against the pass to save a lick, but that's exactly what the team was trying to transition to last season by giving him a quarter of the snaps.
    Moore made the Pro Bowl in 2011

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    Well I like Moore too but we are the new smarter Jets and we don't overpay for anybody, right? So I guess he is as good as gone. I wouldn't mind if we slightly overpay to keep him as a life time Jet but I doubt that that is in the cards. Some other team will outbid us.

    I don't want a FA retread so I guess it comes down to how much should we overpay to avoid having to spend a valued draft pick on a guard.
    The factor on us going after Moore or not, is that not only would we be weak at RG, but we're already weak at LG. I agree that any OG should never be overpaid but at the same time, having 2 scrubs on both sides of Mangold could end up being a huge problem. Decisions decisions.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Was a rock.

    Last season however he was clearly either fourth best or arguably the fifth best of the five starters on the OL. At 33 he is clearly on the 17th green of the back nine too.
    C'mon everyone plays the last 4 twice when it's a light day.

    Options are limited and we need to keep our leaders. The team has lost so many leaders over the past3 years, we need someone toke things In check.

  14. #14
    Good player for a long time, but its time to part ways.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    Moore made the Pro Bowl in 2011
    Jeff Saturday made the Pro Bowl in 2012 and he didn't even start in December or January because he was BENCHED.

    The Pro Bowl means nothing.

    Moore got the Pro Bowl nod in 2011 because of being housed in 2009 and 2010. Unless you're a household name, youu always get into the Pro Bowl one year too late.

  16. #16
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...agency/page/15

    Predicted Contract: Four-year, $28 million

    Despite being 32 years old, Brandon Moore should still get a rather large contract this offseason.

    He's been one of the better guards in the league for the past few seasons. Moore excels in run-blocking, but also has the ability to succeed in pass protection.

    With the New York Jets going through so many difficulties this season, I simply can't see them getting rid of one of their best offensive linemen.

    I would LOL if he got this. (Unless it was us paying it)

  17. #17
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,203
    I think with Moore, a lot depends on whether he's healthy. We never really get the true down low until way after, but I think his hip has hobbled him a good amount the last few years.

    If he seems like he's healthy, I wouldn't mind giving taking him back for a year or two. But, not at more than a couple mil per.

    Small benefit of having Devlin take over as the Oline Coach and not some outsider - he has been here for the past few years and knows what he's dealing with in Slauson/Moore/Howard and Caleb S. Whatever moves we make in keeping/letting go any of these guys will at least be made with our Oline Coach's first hand observations and recommendations.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Was a rock.

    Last season however he was clearly either fourth best or arguably the fifth best of the five starters on the OL. At 33 he is clearly on the 17th green of the back nine too.
    And he has had a hard time hitting fairways over the last six holes. Spraying it! Debatable whether he brings it in under 80.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Postseason View Post
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...agency/page/15

    Predicted Contract: Four-year, $28 million

    Despite being 32 years old, Brandon Moore should still get a rather large contract this offseason.

    He's been one of the better guards in the league for the past few seasons. Moore excels in run-blocking, but also has the ability to succeed in pass protection.

    With the New York Jets going through so many difficulties this season, I simply can't see them getting rid of one of their best offensive linemen.

    I would LOL if he got this. (Unless it was us paying it)
    I would LOL too because he was making about $3.5MM per in his last deal when he was more in his prime.

    I think it's just a crappy article.

    If we were to draft a guy like Warmack, then I'd have no problem moving on from Moore. Moore's definitely better than Slauson, but Slauson is more likely to come cheap.

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
    And he has had a hard time hitting fairways over the last six holes. Spraying it! Debatable whether he brings it in under 80.
    I have a hard time hitting fairways on all 18 holes


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us