Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tank the season?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Exactly. Glad someone gets it.
    To me, I'd look at it as would you take one really bad season to have the chance to have 10 really good ones after that?

I know there are no guarantees, but with the Sanchez and Holmes albatross contracts, how good could this team possibly be next season? At the end of the day, I still think the best chance to get a franchise QB is to have a top 5, if not top 3 pick. The best chance for sustained success in the NFL is to have a franchise QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like this guy's thinking:

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2014.php

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I like this guy's thinking:

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2014.php

yeah if we passed on Clowney for anther POS bust QB I'd throw up. Bridgewater does nothing for me he is 2nd round talent so is Manziel. I'd take Barkley, Geno, and Wilson over both. I want nothing to do with next years QB class it doesn't look as good as this years at all. As much as I am not aboard the suck for Clowney threads if we did get the #1 and passed on him I'd be done with this team. You don't pass on guys like that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    dude, stfu. no, i don't want the Jets to win a SB...
    Well then, besides telling me to shut up, contribute to the thread. "You play to win the game",

We're not playing. The players play to win the game, they get paid for their performance. Teams don't "tank" the season by asking the players not to play their best. They do so to position themselves to better themselves long range. They do this by identifying the players that are going to be there long term and the ones who will not be. If that player or players are not going to be part of the team you trade them if you can and if you can't- you play the younger guy who may develop into a player for you.

The OP wanted opinions on whether the team was better off playing younger guys as the playoff prospects for the jets were dim. I agreed with him in my post and said the team was better off not signing a bunch of 1 year guys in an attempt to go 6-8. Then you chime in with a quote that you don't even make any sense in the context of the OPs question. Hie is not asking whether the team should play their best, but whether the organization should take a long range view. Therefore my response to you of "What game"
    I take it that you want to sign rent a players for a year as you take the short range view.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    yeah if we passed on Clowney for anther POS bust QB I'd throw up. Bridgewater does nothing for me he is 2nd round talent so is Manziel. I'd take Barkley, Geno, and Wilson over both. I want nothing to do with next years QB class it doesn't look as good as this years at all. As much as I am not aboard the suck for Clowney threads if we did get the #1 and passed on him I'd be done with this team. You don't pass on guys like that.
    Dude you are really really really talking out of your ass here. Bridgewater is twice the prospect any of the guys in this year's draft are. It's not even close. He'd be the #1 pick by a mile in this draft. Why make such an idiotic post? Not a scout or GM on the planet would agree with you. There's no way you've seen the guy play to make such completely asinine statements. Next year's QB class will blow this one out of the water. This year's is the weakest since Sanchez's class, and honestly probably a lot weaker since at least Stafford was a consensus #1 pick. Guys like Kiper don't even have a QB rated in the top 20 this season. Bridgewater will be no worse than #3 on anyone's big board next season
    Last edited by SlickBri481; 02-08-2013 at 06:57 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude you are really really really talking out of your ass here. Bridgewater is twice the prospect any of the guys in this year's draft are. It's not even close. He'd be the #1 pick by a mile in this draft. Why make such an idiotic post? Not a scout or GM on the planet would agree with you. There's no way you've seen the guy play to make such completely asinine statements. Next year's QB class will blow this one out of the water. This year's is the weakest since Sanchez's class, and honestly probably a lot weaker since at least Stafford was a consensus #1 pick. Guys like Kiper don't even have a QB rated in the top 20 this season. Bridgewater will be no worse than #3 on anyone's big board next season
    This is not a weak draft at all. Geno is every bit the prospect Stafford was by all accounts. Barkley is the best prospect to EVER come out of USC and played with the worst group they have had in 15 years easy. Wilson is every bit the prospect Bridgewater is. Glennon, Nassib, even Brey are all better prospects then some 1st rounders in the past. When Sanchez came out the 3rd best guy was Nate "dumb ass" Davis. Bridgewater is a good prospect but nothing special. He would not be the #1 here. Kiper is a idiot man stop looking at what he writes. This is the guy who said Clausen was worth the #1 over pick. I couldn't care less what he thinks. People seen to be hating on Barkley but he'd be a 1st rounder in any draft. Geno too. The rest are all solid. It may not be last years QB class but it is still better then most. Next years is a friggen joke IMO. Bridgewater is Brohm 2.0. Louisville puts these underclassman out every few years not one of them have ever been good. The SR class doesn't have one guy right now that you can say is even worth a 3rd honestly. Dont give me that next years looks better BS. You HOPING a lot of underclassman declare and most of them you really have no clue what they can do. Manziel is less then 6 ft and his game will not be the same in the NFL. Driskel maybe but again anther underclassman. Please stop it it is BS that gets us no where. There is nothing special in next years in the way of QB. Nothing at all that warrants us skipping on this years. What happen in your world when Bridgewater doesn't declare or has an off year and looks bad? Wait anther year? F that start the future now there is not gold at the end of the rainbow. The grass will always look greener on the other side. Say it any way you want but there is 0 reason to hold off one more year to get what you can today.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    People loven on the suck for Bridgewater here is a reality check. Last year Barkley was a consensus #2 behind luck. For 2 year Tebow was a consensus #1. Brohm was #1 the year before he declared. Anyone else remember people hyping Colt Brennan as a 1st rounder as well that year. I'm sure there have been others those are just the ones that come to mind when I watch Bridgewater. The QB class always has a underclassman that people think would have been #1 that year if they had gone. Reality is a year changes a lot. Weakness are exposed and teams see what a QB can really do. I'll be shocked if this time next year we still think Bridgewater is the unquestioned #1 QB. I fully expect it to be more a guy like Derek Carr or Tajh Boyd who rides a great season into a top draft pick. Wishing for some magic bean to sprout is not the way to go.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have no clue why people keep mentioning Manziel.

When the hell was the last time that a 6'0 200 lb QB with a so-so arm went that high in the draft?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    NO. But I wish Mark crapped his pants earlier in season last yr so we could have been lower. Could have been the ones to trade up for RG3. Imagine if we had him? Could have traded our first and Revis for #2 pick (RG3) and thats it..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

When the hell was the last time that a 6'0 200 lb QB with a so-so arm went that high in the draft?
    Vick but he was a lot faster and that draft class was horrid out side of him so he looked like superman.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vick but he was a lot faster and that draft class was horrid out side of him so he looked like superman.
    Vick ran a 4.3 and had an absolute cannon for an arm.

And how was that 2001 class horrible? It was one of the best in recent memory.

Michael Vick, LaDainian Tomlinson, Justin Smith, Richard Seymour, Steve Hutchinson, Marcus Stroud, Santana Moss, Casey Hampton, Reggie Wayne, Todd Heap, etc.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vick ran a 4.3 and had an absolute cannon for an arm.

And how was that 2001 class horrible? It was one of the best in recent memory.

Michael Vick, LaDainian Tomlinson, Justin Smith, Richard Seymour, Steve Hutchinson, Marcus Stroud, Santana Moss, Casey Hampton, Reggie Wayne, Todd Heap, etc.
    Yes because he competed against those guys at QB. QB wise who was he against? A short Drew Brees who not even the team that drafted him thought he'd be an answer. Marques Tuiasosopo, Quincy Carter, and Chris Weinke. All of which played games that didn't look pro. Well maybe Weinke but really how good was he as a prospect?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

He's 6'1" 210. Bigger than Wilson, Brees, Vick, and about the same size as RG3. So I'd say last year was about the last time a QB Manziel's size went really high

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is not a weak draft at all. Geno is every bit the prospect Stafford was by all accounts. Barkley is the best prospect to EVER come out of USC and played with the worst group they have had in 15 years easy. Wilson is every bit the prospect Bridgewater is. Glennon, Nassib, even Brey are all better prospects then some 1st rounders in the past. When Sanchez came out the 3rd best guy was Nate "dumb ass" Davis. Bridgewater is a good prospect but nothing special. He would not be the #1 here. Kiper is a idiot man stop looking at what he writes. This is the guy who said Clausen was worth the #1 over pick. I couldn't care less what he thinks. People seen to be hating on Barkley but he'd be a 1st rounder in any draft. Geno too. The rest are all solid. It may not be last years QB class but it is still better then most. Next years is a friggen joke IMO. Bridgewater is Brohm 2.0. Louisville puts these underclassman out every few years not one of them have ever been good. The SR class doesn't have one guy right now that you can say is even worth a 3rd honestly. Dont give me that next years looks better BS. You HOPING a lot of underclassman declare and most of them you really have no clue what they can do. Manziel is less then 6 ft and his game will not be the same in the NFL. Driskel maybe but again anther underclassman. Please stop it it is BS that gets us no where. There is nothing special in next years in the way of QB. Nothing at all that warrants us skipping on this years. What happen in your world when Bridgewater doesn't declare or has an off year and looks bad? Wait anther year? F that start the future now there is not gold at the end of the rainbow. The grass will always look greener on the other side. Say it any way you want but there is 0 reason to hold off one more year to get what you can today.
    The amount of factual inaccuracies and absurdities in this paragraph is mind-boggling. I wouldn't believe unless it was from the same guy who wrote that the Niners were a great matchup for the Jets earlier in the year and that the Niners were weak and overrated.

You have some off the wall opinions dude, I'll stick to the experts and my own informed analysis though. LOL at Barkley best ever out of USC. I guess Carson Palmer never existed and scouts haven't slid Barkley out of the 1st round.

Bridgewater and Brohm both went to Louisville, clearly they should be compared together, that's the only criteria obviously. Let's also compare Aaron Rodgers to Zach Maynard. I mean, heck, they both went to Cal, they must be identical under Dreamers logic.

Although if you are trolling (I hope so), you got me pretty good, so there's that
    Last edited by SlickBri481; 02-08-2013 at 09:14 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I am very much in agreement with you on drafting a small QB with an average arm, but I do have to admit every time I saw Manziel, he was friggin magic.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's 6'1" 210. Bigger than Wilson, Brees, Vick, and about the same size as RG3. So I'd say last year was about the last time a QB Manziel's size went really high
    RG3 measured in at 6'3 at the combine last year. And those are strict measurements.

And I don't buy for one second that Manziel is 6'1. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he doesn't even measure in at 6'0 even.

The kid is small as hell.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am very much in agreement with you on drafting a small QB with an average arm, but I do have to admit every time I saw Manziel, he was friggin magic.
    Manziel is 6'1" and has an above average arm. I don't see his physical traits as a negative, he's going to torment opposing Ds with his scrambling

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow was magic everytime I watched him at Florida.

The magic hasn't exactly translated to the pro game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    RG3 measured in at 6'3 at the combine last year. And those are strict measurements.

And I don't buy for one second that Manziel is 6'1. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he doesn't even measure in at 6'0 even.

The kid is small as hell.
    Bigger than Wilson and Brees. I've seen all 3. Manziel is a bigger stronger guy than you are giving him credit for. No idea where you are getting your info from, the guys announcing the Cotton Bowl, who have zero affiliation with Texas A&M or Manziel's career, made repeated emphasis about how much bigger a person Manziel is than people think. And that he's still growing. No idea why FOX's announcers would lie to the nation

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow was magic everytime I watched him at Florida.

The magic hasn't exactly translated to the pro game.
    Comparing him to Tebow??? Wow dude. Tebow was slow as hell, he just bulled guys over. Manziel is comparable to Vick with his running. Not to mention Tebow had an all-time bad throwing motion. Manziel's mechanics are actually pretty solid.