Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tank the season?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I wouldn't consider 3-13 tanking the season. Right now I think that 3-13 is what this team is capable of.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    In all honesty, if Sanchez is the starting qb, you won't have to worry about "tanking" anything, it will happen naturally.
    This is exactly what I would do if I were GM.

I think that way you give Sanchez one more year, end all excuses, while buying your organization time to stabilize itself in 2014.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    I wouldn't consider 3-13 tanking the season. Right now I think that 3-13 is what this team is capable of.
    Good Point!

Which team, the one as constituted right now, or the one no one has any idea how it will look in September 2013?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    How did that work out for them? Build a dynasty? No. They got a good left tackle and a vastly over rated linebacker.

Take it another step, what if they had the top 3 picks that year. Then they could have drafted a bust at DE #1 overall. Draft picks are lottery picks. you don't tank a season to get a guy you hope will be good. Remember when we lost out on Reggie Bush and had to settle on D'Brick? That worked out ok for us.
    Not every draft is the same. At the top of the 2014 draft there are 3 players that are better than every single player in the 2013 draft.

Of course anyone can turn into a bust and nothing is guaranteed and players taken after them could end up better blah, blah, blah. Goes without saying. We are just talking about putting ourselves in the best position to get the highest picks.

IMO we won't need to tank nor should we. I think we will be in the Top 4 especially if Sanchez is our QB.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Seriously. ..

Our "fanbase" wanted everybody fired and shot after a 6-10 season. ..even after the prior 8-8 season. ..

Can you imagine the bloodletting from some of our SARry SOJFs after a 3 win season???
    Rex and his staff will be gone after 2013 regardless. The 2013 Jets won't make the postseason, therefore he and his staff will be canned. I'd rather go 3-13 than 8-8. That's just me though. Give me a chance at Manziel or Bridgewater with a young innovate new offensive (for once) HC.

I don't understand this mentality. Why is this team going to be 3 games worse next year? We won 6 without Revis/Holmes/Keller for most of last year. We will either have Revis back or have an extra 1st round pick helping us out elsehwere. The loss of Scott/pace/Thomas's of the world are more addition by subtraction.

On offense, our QB play can't get worse, we should have Holmes back and maybe even keep Braylon. Shonn Greene can be replaced by Powell without missing a beat. And we played without Keller for most of the season.

That alone makes a solid case for the team being AS GOOD as last year. If we somehow get average QB play next year (from Sanchez or a veteran backup) we could improve.

I don't think they will have to "tank". I see them as a 3 to 4 win team when they take the field next year no matter what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    In all honesty, if Sanchez is the starting qb, you won't have to worry about "tanking" anything, it will happen naturally.
    LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    How will we be able to tell?
    Priceless!!!

All Pro
    Just another scintillating set of posts

Mods please tank this thread

I mean DUMP

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    dude, stfu. no, i don't want the Jets to win a SB...
    Some of you guys are such d*icks

No. You play to win the game some guy once said.
    This isn't sport, this is entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I don't understand this mentality. Why is this team going to be 3 games worse next year? We won 6 without Revis/Holmes/Keller for most of last year. We will either have Revis back or have an extra 1st round pick helping us out elsehwere. The loss of Scott/pace/Thomas's of the world are more addition by subtraction.

On offense, our QB play can't get worse, we should have Holmes back and maybe even keep Braylon. Shonn Greene can be replaced by Powell without missing a beat. And we played without Keller for most of the season.

That alone makes a solid case for the team being AS GOOD as last year. If we somehow get average QB play next year (from Sanchez or a veteran backup) we could improve.
    Wrecks is gonna build an attacking offense............................with SANCHEZ!!!!!!!
    I'm crying I'm laughing so hard.
    Get your popcorn! Wrecks is gonna build a team around his personality!!!!
    This IS entertainment!!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Some of you guys are such d*icks
    what?

Why would we not have a chance at the Superbowl?

No. You play to win the game some guy once said.
    I don't think anyone is suggesting the Jets purposely lose but you can do a lot to think long term...Meaning you manage the cap this year with next year in mind (not this year)

For instance...you cut Sanchez this year (get the full 17mm off that books so you don't have to pay his 4mm on the books next year)

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    All I know is I wouldn't mind a 3-13 season in place of a 6-10, 7-9 one. I'd rather have a shot at Manziel or Bridgewater than to settle for a WR or something. I come from the school of unless you're making the playoffs, and I don't think this team will in 2013, hope for as poor play as possible so that you can land yourself a franchise QB. Screw missing the playoffs by a game or two. If you're not getting in, give me 2-14, 3-13. Suck it up.
    Agreed, I'd sign up for 3-13 in a heartbeat if it meant getting to draft Teddy Bridgewater in 2014 draft. One more bad season? No sweat for fans of this franchise. Plus potential comedic value in more Sanchez bloopers and Ryan postgame meltdowns too. Fighting hard and going 7-9 next season probably gets us nowhere long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Agreed, I'd sign up for 3-13 in a heartbeat if it meant getting to draft Teddy Bridgewater in 2014 draft. One more bad season? No sweat for fans of this franchise. Plus potential comedic value in more Sanchez bloopers and Ryan postgame meltdowns too. Fighting hard and going 7-9 next season probably gets us nowhere long-term.
    The team should play to win, the coaches should do everything with what they have to win but....the roster could be compiled with very cap friendly players ...This does a lot of things

1) Playing a lot of young players gets them experience
    2) By playing a lot of young players you're likely to lose a lot (hence higher draft pick)
    3) Free up cap space to become a serious free agent player when the team is ready

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Exactly. Glad someone gets it.