Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 74

Thread: Tank the season?

  1. #1
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Tank the season?

    All this is hypothetical of course, but I was wondering whether tanking the season is an option.

    I'm not talking Penguins-like tanking pre-Crosby/Malkin, which was a bit extreme in my opinion, and I don't think this would work in NY, so please hear me out.

    Since we don't have a shot at the Superbowl anyway next season, why not let the younger guys gather precious experience for the following years?

    If I'm not mistaken, we don't have a lot of players nearing the end of their career due to age concerns, so it's not like Denver with Manning or comparable scenarios.

    We need to build a good foundation for the future, and I'm pretty optimistic that's what Idzik will do anyway, but I hope they go with this approach 100%. One of the possible consequences would be: If Revis doesn't want to sign a reasonable extension, dump him. This goes for other players as well, although Revis is special of course.

    What do you guys think?

    Would you be content with a 3-13 type of season in order to build towards 2014 and beyond? Or is this out of the realm of possibility for you?

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,707
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chadderton View Post
    All this is hypothetical of course, but I was wondering whether tanking the season is an option.

    I'm not talking Penguins-like tanking pre-Crosby/Malkin, which was a bit extreme in my opinion, and I don't think this would work in NY, so please hear me out.

    Since we don't have a shot at the Superbowl anyway next season, why not let the younger guys gather precious experience for the following years?

    If I'm not mistaken, we don't have a lot of players nearing the end of their career due to age concerns, so it's not like Denver with Manning or comparable scenarios.

    We need to build a good foundation for the future, and I'm pretty optimistic that's what Idzik will do anyway, but I hope they go with this approach 100%. One of the possible consequences would be: If Revis doesn't want to sign a reasonable extension, dump him. This goes for other players as well, although Revis is special of course.

    What do you guys think?

    Would you be content with a 3-13 type of season in order to build towards 2014 and beyond? Or is this out of the realm of possibility for you?
    Where you been, we are young. There are like 6 old guys and most are gonna go.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    All I know is I wouldn't mind a 3-13 season in place of a 6-10, 7-9 one. I'd rather have a shot at Manziel or Bridgewater than to settle for a WR or something. I come from the school of unless you're making the playoffs, and I don't think this team will in 2013, hope for as poor play as possible so that you can land yourself a franchise QB. Screw missing the playoffs by a game or two. If you're not getting in, give me 2-14, 3-13. Suck it up.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,546
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there someway we could get 2 of the Top 3 picks like the Redskins did in 2000? If we tanked the season and traded Revis for a package of 2014 picks and used that package to move back up. Teddy B and Clowney.

    A kid can dream.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    3,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    No. You play to win the game some guy once said.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,653
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Where you been, we are young. There are like 6 old guys and most are gonna go.
    Exactly, by this time next year the jets starters will be younger even than the pats. Wilfork, Mankins, Brady, Lloyd Connolly,along with ninko and Mayo being the only starters on their 2nd contract.

    On the jets it will be dbrick, mangold, Harris, Revis and Cro. I am not including Holmes as i think he will start the year on IR/Pup or Sanchez as it is not known if he would start.

  7. #7
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Where you been, we are young. There are like 6 old guys and most are gonna go.
    I'm aware of that. No more Scott, Pace, etc. But how about players like Moore? He isn't going to get any faster or less prone to getting injured.

    Personally I'd keep Brick, Mangold, Howard, and find two guards (Ducasse strictly BU unless there's significant improvement) in the draft. Consequently, the OL play will drop and the QB will be running for his life, but that way we might have a VERY YOUNG and VERY GOOD line for 2014. Then draft a QB, or pick someone up in FA, and we're good to go.

    As was stated in many other threads, the defense won't be the problem; going with a half-assed approach with the OL will be a big problem in my opinion.

    I'd happily take a 2 or 3 win season in exchange for a bright future.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,707
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously, Brick and Nick aren't in the equation. We need 3 players on D, and 5 on O to get in the hunt this it is going to take more than going in the tank, and not necessarily high draft picks. It's going to take time, bodies and luck unless Sanchez can pull off a miracle( which he may). If he does it makes it more manageable, but still difficult.
    Last edited by Apache 51; 02-08-2013 at 08:59 AM.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,653
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    No. You play to win the game some guy once said.
    What game, the next one or the SB? If the jets want to win the next one, they could get a bunch of vet FA playing close to min and you can add them to this core and get to 6-10 again. Or is the game you want to win the superbowl?

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,952
    Post Thanks / Like
    We shouldn't tank a damn thing. Clowney is not a reason to tank a season and the QB class IS NOT GOING TO BE BETTER. Draft a QB THIS year run the year. If the rook has a good year we could still have a winning season. I think our future QB is in this draft. People need to stop acting stupid and look at the talent here. Loosing year in and year out only makes good players not want to stay. 3 seasons of the team quitting doesn't make this a place people what to stay or go to for that matter.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously. ..

    Our "fanbase" wanted everybody fired and shot after a 6-10 season. ..even after the prior 8-8 season. ..

    Can you imagine the bloodletting from some of our SARry SOJFs after a 3 win season???

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    3,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    What game, the next one or the SB? If the jets want to win the next one, they could get a bunch of vet FA playing close to min and you can add them to this core and get to 6-10 again. Or is the game you want to win the superbowl?
    dude, stfu. no, i don't want the Jets to win a SB...

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,249
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    We shouldn't tank a damn thing. Clowney is not a reason to tank a season and the QB class IS NOT GOING TO BE BETTER. Draft a QB THIS year run the year. If the rook has a good year we could still have a winning season. I think our future QB is in this draft. People need to stop acting stupid and look at the talent here. Loosing year in and year out only makes good players not want to stay. 3 seasons of the team quitting doesn't make this a place people what to stay or go to for that matter.
    This. You can't plan on tanking a season before the season starts. The only time to tank is once you are 1-5 and with zero chance at making the playoffs. But you never enter a season planning on tanking it unless you suffer a major injury (or lose Peyton Manning and have the chance to draft Luck).

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Seriously. ..

    Our "fanbase" wanted everybody fired and shot after a 6-10 season. ..even after the prior 8-8 season. ..

    Can you imagine the bloodletting from some of our SARry SOJFs after a 3 win season???

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,126
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Is there someway we could get 2 of the Top 3 picks like the Redskins did in 2000? If we tanked the season and traded Revis for a package of 2014 picks and used that package to move back up. Teddy B and Clowney.

    A kid can dream.
    How did that work out for them? Build a dynasty? No. They got a good left tackle and a vastly over rated linebacker.

    Take it another step, what if they had the top 3 picks that year. Then they could have drafted a bust at DE #1 overall. Draft picks are lottery picks. you don't tank a season to get a guy you hope will be good. Remember when we lost out on Reggie Bush and had to settle on D'Brick? That worked out ok for us.

  16. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,397
    Post Thanks / Like
    In all honesty, if Sanchez is the starting qb, you won't have to worry about "tanking" anything, it will happen naturally.

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,247
    Post Thanks / Like
    When the Colts got word that Manning was done for the year, they went forward with a plan in place to "tank" the season to get Luck.

    It worked.

    Yes, if the Jets see a qb next year that is franchise worthy, tank the season.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,548
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't really believe there is any correlation between getting a top 5 pick and becoming a SB contender. In fact there is much more correlation of teams who get top 5 picks continuing to get top 5 picks.

    The idea that "tanking" the season really helps is kind of a myth, there will always be cases where getting the number 1 pick really did turn the fortune of a team around (Colts) but that's not really how it works out normally.

  19. #19
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    How will we be able to tell?

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,166
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can live with a 1-3 win season if it guaranteed a top 3 pick and a shot at Clowney or Bridgewater.

    To think this team is "a player or 2 away from contending" would be naive and you probably should lay off of the green kool-aid. This team needs a total rebuild so why not play some of the younger players and rookies to decide who to keep when we start tearing down the roster. Also the 2014 draft seems like it will have some studs at the top so why not try to get one of them......

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us