Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flacco cheating scandal

Flacco cheating scandal

What an idiot did anyone hear this yet? Guy's telling his team to tackle the kick returner from the sidelines if he breaks one for a TD and everyone on the team is just ignoring him or shaking their head.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...6pLid%3D267427

It's not cheating if he didn't actually do it. Plus, i respect him a little more now knowing that he is the kind of guy that would do whatever it takes to win. Granted I am pretty sure if he had tackled Ginn on the way to the end zone the refs would have awarded Ginn a TD anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    It's not cheating if he didn't actually do it. Plus, i respect him a little more now knowing that he is the kind of guy that would do whatever it takes to win. Granted I am pretty sure if he had tackled Ginn on the way to the end zone the refs would have awarded Ginn a TD anyway.
    If Ginn had "daylight" and Flacco came off the sideline to tackle him, he'd get awarded the TD and the Niners would have won. That would have immediately jumped to the top of the craziest moments in sports history had that actually happened.

That would have been the funniest thing in SB history.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I'm down with you on that concept (of a guy wanting to win at all costs), but he sounded like a fool walking around the sideline and spouting off that nonsense. That's the same thing that the biggest bozo on a High school team would say with some Assistant Coach (read Earth Science teacher) smacking him on the helmet shortly after.

Its one thing if he mentioned it to one guy with a smirk and a larf afterwards, but he felt the need to broadcast his dumb idea repeatedly as if he was deadly serious.

The only thing that could embarrass the NFL more than the blackout would have been Joe Flacco coming off the bench to tackle a KR in what otherwise would have been one of the greatest plays in Super Bowl history (presuming Ginn would have won the game on the TD).

Of course, he didn't do it and likely wouldn't have, but it doesn't give me any more respect for the dude.

What a stupid article. Next...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Teams often take delay of game penalties to move back and give the punter more room to work with. That's taking a penalty strategically. Not cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Minkaveli View Post
    What a stupid article. Next...
    You're right I'd much rather talking about cutting Tebow for the 100th time. It's the offseason bro not much else happening.

No sure if the free kick is like a kick-off or a punt? Meaning if the punter kicked it OB where would the Niners have gotten the ball. If like a kick-off, it would be the 35. If like a punt, it would be where it went OB. Either way, I questioned the decision to kick it to Ginn, feeling he had a better chance of running it back for a TD than the Niners had at getting a TD with 4 seconds left from, at best, their own 35.
    Last edited by SONNY WERBLIN; 02-08-2013 at 10:36 AM.

I think the word "scandal" is being thrown around way too loosely.

It seems blindingly obvious to me that he wasn't even the slightest bit serious. Maybe it's just me.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by xxaaaxx View Post
    It seems blindingly obvious to me that he wasn't even the slightest bit serious. Maybe it's just me.
    I don't think he was serious in that he was actually going to do it, but he did seem serious in that he thought it was a good idea.

He wasn't just saying to his buddy "Hey, if Ginn breaks free, I'm jumping on this muthaf'er! Larf Larf", he repeated over and over. To me, it sounded like a guy who just had a real good game, who hasn't quite been there before and was getting cocky and thought he was funnier than he actually was.

Where's the scandal.

They should have just had their trainer trip him.

God I hate cheaters.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    They should have just had their trainer trip him.

God I hate cheaters.
    If Flacco personally ran out there and launched himself into Ginn, and the Refs incompetently ended the game and awarded the SB to the Ravens, most of this board would consider that victory more legitimate than any the Pats won.

All Pro
    Sounds like behavior befitting a 6 ft walking burrito.

Did anyone hear that he is picking up the lucrative endorsement for Haribo Gummi Bears?
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 02-08-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    If Flacco personally ran out there and launched himself into Ginn, and the Refs incompetently ended the game and awarded the SB to the Ravens, most of this board would consider that victory more legitimate than any the Pats won.
    Yeah, so?

I think the rule will be changed as from my understanding the only consequence from him doing that would the player would be ejected. There isn't anything in the rules book that would have rewarded him a touchdown. One of these obscure things that the Nfl didn't cover. So if I read it correctly that was pretty smart by Joe Flacco to realize he could get away with something under current NFL rules.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Nobody said he was the brains of the operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    I think the rule will be changed as from my understanding the only consequence from him doing that would the player would be ejected. There isn't anything in the rules book that would have rewarded him a touchdown. One of these obscure things that the Nfl didn't cover. So if I read it correctly that was pretty smart by Joe Flacco to realize he could get away with something under current NFL rules.
    Wrong.

NFL Rule Book's Rule 12, Section 3, Article 3:

"Palpably Unfair Act. A player or substitute shall not interfere with play by any act which is palpably unfair. Penalty: For a palpably unfair act: Offender may be disqualified. The Referee, after consulting his crew, enforces any such distance penalty as they consider equitable and irrespective of any other specified code penalty. The Referee may award a score."

There is no way Flacco gets away with that. It would be a touchdown, 49ers, and a SB victory if Ginn had "daylight" and Flacco or one of his goons decided to jump onto the field.

This is a really stupid debate, anyway, even Flacco isn't really that dumb. I could see maybe Cutler trying it, though, heh.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 02-08-2013 at 11:08 AM.