Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you expect the Jets to compete next year ?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you expect the Jets to compete next year ?

Given all our needs and change in management and coaching I was wondering how many of you really feel that this team can compete next year or will be in a rebuilding mode ? For me it will be a good chance to see if Sanchez continues his decline or can make it back and whether we get some decent talent that can add to this team without taking up cap space.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes............ for the #1 overall pick in 2014

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rebuilding mode. I think we win between 4-6 games this season.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we can. We won 6 games with some of the worst QB play I've ever seen. Even if we had a journeyman QB, we would have won at least a few more games.

Rex is going to field a solid defense. A good RB, and a halfway competent QB, and we can still be competitive. Not world-beaters, but competitive.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I expect that the front office and coaching staff are planning to go in and be competitive in 2013. The idea of tanking a season is not in the realm of reality for anyone outside of the fans on this site. This isn't basketball. The Jets cap problem is mostly this season, certainly not long term.

The proof will be when the QB situation is clarified. If we go into the season with Sanchez projected as starter or competing with a scrub like Tavaris JAckson then essentially we are tanking the season. If a QB is drafted or traded for (ie Flynn) then we are in it to win it or at worst give the new QB a year of experience and evaluation.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Transition in a year where we are cap strapped and picking 9th in a below average draft year. Weak talent at the skill positions on offense and an unimpressive QB who lacks confidence and doesn't adjust well to system chances. 6 +/-1 wins...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No

We will be a 1-4 win team next year and I am fine with that as long as Idzik commits to rebuilding the right way (through the draft) and we can contend in 2-3 years......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the D there is always a chance. The schedule is far more difficult, playing the NFC South and AFC North. I see 4 almost guaranteed losses there (Ravens, Steelers, Falcons, Saints). Not to mention likely getting swept by the Pats again and we'd already be up to 6.

Hard to say anything with certainty until we know what the team will look like, particularly who will play QB. I'd say 6-7 wins could be the ceiling barring significant improvement in QB play

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    It's easy to think that they wont. I also have to think the schedule will be tougher next year unless the AFC North suddenly falls apart.

What gives me hope are two things:

1) Can the Jets QB play and offense possible be any worse than it was in 2012?
    2) Revis and Holmes will be back (possibly) and for all of our departing players, it's tough to say we'll really miss any of them... A healthy Keller? (which we didn't see in 2012 anyway) Slauson? Maybe Landry as an enforcer, but the stats show he wasn't great in coverage...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    I expect that the front office and coaching staff are planning to go in and be competitive in 2013. The idea of tanking a season is not in the realm of reality for anyone outside of the fans on this site. This isn't basketball. The Jets cap problem is mostly this season, certainly not long term.

The proof will be when the QB situation is clarified. If we go into the season with Sanchez projected as starter or competing with a scrub like Tavaris JAckson then essentially we are tanking the season. If a QB is drafted or traded for (ie Flynn) then we are in it to win it or at worst give the new QB a year of experience and evaluation.
    I agree with this. If they go for someone like Flynn (and they might. He's a good fit in the new offense) then they're trying to compete. If they sign some piece of crap from the scrap heap, then we truly are in a rebuilding phase.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    Given all our needs and change in management and coaching I was wondering how many of you really feel that this team can compete next year or will be in a rebuilding mode ? For me it will be a good chance to see if Sanchez continues his decline or can make it back and whether we get some decent talent that can add to this team without taking up cap space.
    I don't expect it, but stranger things have happened. As Source said, we had horrendous QB play. If that improves (whether its an improved Sanchez, or someone else) the Jets have a chance to compete for a Wild Card.

Its more likely that they'll be under .500, but there's certainly a chance.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    yes............ for the #1 overall pick in 2014
    This.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think this team is going to even come close to making me feel as good as I did entering the 98/99 season until the owner sells it or dies. He's a very bad owner. You need to look no further than the mandate to retain Rex then come out and say he won't get a pass next year.

Well what are you expecting you idiot? The roster sucks. As such, there was no way to get a premier GM candidate to even INTERVIEW.

You should've fired Rex immediately. But he's not serious. This is his toy. Hopefully he'll get bored and give it to somebody who actually will treat it with some professionalism.

It is not a good feeling.

1998/1999 Jets are the only time in my 20+ years of being a fan that I felt like the Jets were the best team in the NFL and should win the Super bowl.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 02-08-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    So if the majority of the fan base feels this is a rebuilding year and we have little chance to compete then does Rex Ryan basically get a pass?

With no expectations how could you fire the guy?

On the other hand if they have a winning season or even make the playoffs is Rex now considered great again like his first 2 seasons?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really depends on the players they bring in.
    If they can rebuild the O-Line, get a pass rusher and decent RB who can catch out of the backfield I think an 8-8/9-7 season is possible...even with Sanchez.

If they dont address these issues, I think 3-13 to 5-11 is more likely.

As big of a problem QB is for us, I dont see a viable solution this year. So i hope they dont try to force the issue with a reach pick in the draft

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The schedule is rough; in addition, Buffalo and Miami will be better. At best we are 8-8 and worst 3- 13. Not much hope.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    I think we can. We won 6 games with some of the worst QB play I've ever seen. Even if we had a journeyman QB, we would have won at least a few more games.

Rex is going to field a solid defense. A good RB, and a halfway competent QB, and we can still be competitive. Not world-beaters, but competitive.
    We agree.

Trade Revis for QB Alex Smith a West Coast offense QB

1st round. take OLB/DE Dion Jordan (Oregon) Best OLB/DE in a 3-4 defense.
    2nd round. take RB Joseph Randle (Oklahoma State). Good WCO fit.
    3rd round. Take S Tony Jefferson (Oklahoma). Has been compared with Troy Polamalu

Fill out the rest of draft with WR's and OL'men.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088 View Post
    We agree.

Trade Revis for QB Alex Smith a West Coast offense QB

1st round. take OLB/DE Dion Jordan (Oregon) Best OLB/DE in a 3-4 defense.
    2nd round. take RB Joseph Randle (Oklahoma State). Good WCO fit.
    3rd round. Take S Tony Jefferson (Oklahoma). Has been compared with Troy Polamalu

Fill out the rest of draft with WR's and OL'men.
    I hope there is a lot more to this trade otherwise that would be the worst trade ever.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Compete, that's what athletes do, win, all revolves around the QB situation if he is competent 8-8 is possible. Jets need too manny players to win a SB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    NO