Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you expect the Jets to compete next year ?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, Rex and Sanchez will gone if they do NOT compete

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    Jets play good when every1 counts them out. so yes they might showup and make playoffs..
    That's pretty funny.

A 6-10 football team with one of the worst rosters in the NFL making the playoffs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want us to be the best, toughest 3-13 team we can be next season. That should be enough to get rid of Sanchez, Holmes and a few others we didn't get rid of in the coming weeks.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    They'll compete for a wild card. They would have been in the running for one if Stephen Hill holds on against NE.

Still, I think competing for a wild card is really just treading water for a team that went to back to back AFCCG 2 years ago. If you guys had an owner who didn't give a **** about the pressure to win now I think a losing season now, having dumped a lot of players who bring too many negatives (cap or behavioral) could set the Jets back up into title contention.

As things stand now they'll probably go 8-8, maybe get 9 or 10 wins if they play over their head.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Anything can happen in the NFL. None of us have a clue what the roster will look like. I will wait until after the pre-season to make any prediction.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nope. Sanchez gone this season and One more season of Rex and the real purge begins.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    If Idzik brings in Matt Moore with MacElroy the backup, the Jets will be competitive

If he brings in a stiff like Alex Smith, Jason Campbell, Matt Flynn or sticks with the Pick Machine at QB the Jets will be lucky to win 7
    what gives you the confidence to say matt moore is an upgrade over alex smith or matt flynn???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    Given all our needs and change in management and coaching I was wondering how many of you really feel that this team can compete next year or will be in a rebuilding mode ? For me it will be a good chance to see if Sanchez continues his decline or can make it back and whether we get some decent talent that can add to this team without taking up cap space.
    I think they'll be both. Yes, they are in a rebuilding mode but they will also compete. Call me crazy, but I do not believe the offense problems are as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

I think with a decent offseason, the team can easily secure a playoff spot.

So of course they are rebuilding, there's no denying that and no way they make it to the SB. But they will also be able to compete within the division and couls easily be the 2nd best team in the division.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Call me crazy, but I do not believe the offense problems are as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

I think with a decent offseason, the team can easily secure a playoff spot.

So of course they are rebuilding, there's no denying that and no way they make it to the SB. But they will also be able to compete within the division and couls easily be the 2nd best team in the division.
    Come on MJ, did you get buried in a blizzard or something? You are smarter than that.

The Jets offense was ranked 28th in the NFL for a reason. They have no legitimate NFL QB, RB's are well below average, some of the worst WR's in the league, and a deteriorating (Mangold and D'Brick's performance has dropped off significantly) OLine.

How will the offense get fixed in one off-season?

Jets are looking at the AFCE basement next year (as both the Bills and Phins are better teams) and probably won't see the north side of a .500 season for the next 3 or 4 years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Come on MJ, did you get buried in a blizzard or something? You are smarter than that.

The Jets offense was ranked 28th in the NFL for a reason. They have no legitimate NFL QB, RB's are well below average, some of the worst WR's in the league, and a deteriorating (Mangold and D'Brick's performance has dropped off significantly) OLine.

Jets are looking at the AFCE basement next year (as both the Bills and Phins are better teams) and probably won't see the north side of a .500 season for the next 3 or 4 years.
    You are so full of sh!t. That's your hope that the Jets will not be .500 or better for the next 3/4 years. In the NFL, teams turnaround very quickly -- just go ask Seattle who was 7-9 two years ago and albeit, a playoff team, the worst in history playing in the worst division that year.

While Sanchez's play was very poor last year, he has won in this league. If he is surrounded with talent, I am confident the Jets can compete and whip the Pats ass again as they did two years ago.

In the meantime, get F-ing lost troll.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

The Pats offense was ranked 25th and went 5-11 in 2000. In 2001 they went 11-5 and won the bowl.. Granted we don't have Brady waiting in the wings but I'll wait till after the draft and see how things work out..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

As a matter of fact, YES, I did get buried in a blizzard. I have 3 feet of snow outside. Just got myself dug out yesterday. Spent 3 hours slowblowing, raking the roof, and shovelling.

But make no mistake about it, it has in no way affected my judgment.

First of all, the Jets do have some good things going for them:

1) They still have the makings of very productive running game. No decent RB's really, Bilal Powell is the best one out of the bunch IMO and he is at best a depth/load supporting RB, not a number 1.

But they do have the makings of a great OL. Nick Mangold and Brick are still great linemen to build around. If Idzik were to focus on getting the running game going, he may find that it is easier than he thinks. A decent blocking TE, resign Brandon Moore, and add a good LG. The Jets could easily have a good running game. Will it be as good as their running game back in 2009/2010? No way. Not even close. But if they got a decent RB through the draft, they could take the pressure off the passing game.

2) They still have a top notch defense. The Jets defense will keep them in most of their games. They ranked 8th overall in total defense this season, albeit with a cupcake schedule, but also without the best defender in the game today. If they get some help at LB and they could easily a top 5 defense. Their DL is emerging. Muhammad Wilkerson is becoming a terror to block. Quentin Coples very quietly with limited playing time played well IMO. He could easily get a lot more playing time this season and his numbers are sure to go up.

Really, for me, besides what I listed, the objective for the offseason should be getting a decent game manager QB and the ST. Everyone knows Sanchez is hot garbage. Adding a decent game manager, a guy who will take good care of the football, is addition by subtraction. No longer do you have Sanchez giving the ball up 26 times per season.

Also, the ST was what was really saddening. Mike Westhoff is the best ST coach I've ever seen and he will surely go down as one of the best ever to coach ST's. But the ST in his last season was awful. Completely awful. But I cannot see that lasting. They still have Westhoff's protege leading the ST's. A guy Westhoff blessed as his heir apparent. I'll go with that guys opinion any old day of the week. I have no trouble being confident that the Jets ST's will a LOT better than last season.

And really that is it in a nutshell. The Jets will play a 6-10 schedule. They have a very good defense, with a few subtle moves they could have a decent running game and they could sneak into the playoffs.

Mike, you and I both know the margin between the best and worst teams in the league is very thin. Teams go from worst to first all the time. So saying a team that was 6-10 can sneak into the playoffs one season later is not a big thing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on how you define competitive. Detroit was competitive last year in the sense that they were in just about every single game. Most of their games were decided by a TD or less. That said, they still ended up 4-12. We could end up being competitive next year (draft will also influence how much so, if at all), but that doesn't mean we'll be good.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Matt Moore, that's funny.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real answer -- probably not but none of us has any clue.

The Colts went from 2-14 to the playoffs simply by bringing in a new OC and rookie QB (granted, Andrew Luck is far from your typical rookie...)

My guess? We're in neutral for a year while we regroup. 2014 we should have a chance to win some games -- question is if Rex is still here at that point.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    I don't think this team is going to even come close to making me feel as good as I did entering the 98/99 season until the owner sells it or dies. He's a very bad owner. You need to look no further than the mandate to retain Rex then come out and say he won't get a pass next year.

Well what are you expecting you idiot? The roster sucks. As such, there was no way to get a premier GM candidate to even INTERVIEW.

You should've fired Rex immediately. But he's not serious. This is his toy. Hopefully he'll get bored and give it to somebody who actually will treat it with some professionalism.

It is not a good feeling.

1998/1999 Jets are the only time in my 20+ years of being a fan that I felt like the Jets were the best team in the NFL and should win the Super bowl.
    Really has any team since then really felt like the best team in the NFL? Even the Pats first one was a big surprise. That being said I do expect the Jets to compete for a playoff spot however unlikely that is. I expect them to win because everybody else has so why not the Jets. I won't accept anything else less. Nothing could be worse than the crap I took during the Kotite years as a fan. The only thing that helped me this year is the usual trash talker's teams (Giants, Steelers, Cowboys, Eagles, Saints, Dolfags) didn't make the Playoffs neither and the Pats were bounced out.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    As a matter of fact, YES, I did get buried in a blizzard. I have 3 feet of snow outside. Just got myself dug out yesterday. Spent 3 hours slowblowing, raking the roof, and shovelling.

But make no mistake about it, it has in no way affected my judgment.

First of all, the Jets do have some good things going for them:

1) They still have the makings of very productive running game. No decent RB's really, Bilal Powell is the best one out of the bunch IMO and he is at best a depth/load supporting RB, not a number 1.

But they do have the makings of a great OL. Nick Mangold and Brick are still great linemen to build around. If Idzik were to focus on getting the running game going, he may find that it is easier than he thinks. A decent blocking TE, resign Brandon Moore, and add a good LG. The Jets could easily have a good running game. Will it be as good as their running game back in 2009/2010? No way. Not even close. But if they got a decent RB through the draft, they could take the pressure off the passing game.

2) They still have a top notch defense. The Jets defense will keep them in most of their games. They ranked 8th overall in total defense this season, albeit with a cupcake schedule, but also without the best defender in the game today. If they get some help at LB and they could easily a top 5 defense. Their DL is emerging. Muhammad Wilkerson is becoming a terror to block. Quentin Coples very quietly with limited playing time played well IMO. He could easily get a lot more playing time this season and his numbers are sure to go up.

Really, for me, besides what I listed, the objective for the offseason should be getting a decent game manager QB and the ST. Everyone knows Sanchez is hot garbage. Adding a decent game manager, a guy who will take good care of the football, is addition by subtraction. No longer do you have Sanchez giving the ball up 26 times per season.

Also, the ST was what was really saddening. Mike Westhoff is the best ST coach I've ever seen and he will surely go down as one of the best ever to coach ST's. But the ST in his last season was awful. Completely awful. But I cannot see that lasting. They still have Westhoff's protege leading the ST's. A guy Westhoff blessed as his heir apparent. I'll go with that guys opinion any old day of the week. I have no trouble being confident that the Jets ST's will a LOT better than last season.

And really that is it in a nutshell. The Jets will play a 6-10 schedule. They have a very good defense, with a few subtle moves they could have a decent running game and they could sneak into the playoffs.

Mike, you and I both know the margin between the best and worst teams in the league is very thin. Teams go from worst to first all the time. So saying a team that was 6-10 can sneak into the playoffs one season later is not a big thing.
    Glad you are all dug out.

I miss living in Maine.

I have only two issues with your post:

1) The Jets defense is not as good as you think it is. Look what good offenses did to them last year.

2) That 6-10 season will result in the exact same shcedule as the Patriots with the exception of 2 games.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the D awful? no...but not top tier either. Old dead slow weight will be gone so it will be interesting to see what they bring in. They have the beginnings of what could be 'good enough'. All this doesn't matter if the offense can't keep the D off the field.

The offense is still the gaping open sore. I see nothing much to build on. Nothing elite on the O side of the ball. Not a single dominant/impact play maker. Some nice complimentary parts/role players but not a single hammer. The fix ain't gonna happen over night.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Is the D awful? no...but not top tier either. Old dead slow weight will be gone so it will be interesting to see what they bring in. They have the beginnings of what could be 'good enough'. All this doesn't .
    Jets D just need some young solid, fast LB's.

Secondary is is top notch and Wilkerson and Couples solidify the DLine.