Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Francesa Says Welker Wants Out Of NE...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    The last two years, Welker has been in the top 5 in the NFL in dropped passes.

Time to move on.
    If the Pats do move on from Welker it will be for one reason and one reason only... money. They couldn't have a had a more productive and loyal player.

Edelman is fine on punt returns and screens, but when he's a WR and can't see what's coming he shies away from the ball and drops many passes. I'm going by what my eyes see, not some cherry-picked stat.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    If the Pats do move on from Welker it will be for one reason and one reason only... money. They couldn't have a had a more productive and loyal player.

Edelman is fine on punt returns and screens, but when he's a WR and can't see what's coming he shies away from the ball and drops many passes. I'm going by what my eyes see, not some cherry-picked stat.
    +1

IIRC Welker was #1 in YAC last season. The guy consitently gets open, is extremely quick and has proven to be one of, if not the most durable WRs in the NFL despite his size.

Welker isn't just a product of Brady. He gave the Pats fits while on the Dolphins and would produce just as effectively in Denver or SF.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post

Edelman is a reckless player, Welker is more durable because he is more apt to protect himself also leading to more drops. Edelman gets lit up because he fights for every extra yard even when none are to be had

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    +1

IIRC Welker was #1 in YAC last season. The guy consitently gets open, is extremely quick and has proven to be one of, if not the most durable WRs in the NFL despite his size.

Welker isn't just a product of Brady. He gave the Pats fits while on the Dolphins and would produce just as effectively in Denver or SF.
    Welker would be excellent with any elite QB or great offensive system. He would be a monster with Rodgers.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure the Pats might not bring back Welker but then they will bring in Percy Harvin. If Welker goes expect someone better.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Sure the Pats might not bring back Welker but then they will bring in Percy Harvin. If Welker goes expect someone better.
    They can't afford harvin The pats have about 15 mill to spend on FA after paying the rookies and have 7 guys that deserve a deal. They will be lucky to keep 1/2 of thier guys never mind pay someone else.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I know your just trolling, but i will bite.

What makes you think Welker will be elite when he is 35? Do you think he is as good as he was 3 years ago? How does a slot guy running 1s and 2s make a guy who runs draws and screens better? Are the backers playing deeper, no. A slot guy has the tendency to keep the defense close to the LOS, a hindrance to a draw or screen.

And when was the last time a jet receiver had a year as good as Lloyd did? And Lloyd being the #4 target.

Sure the pats will sign him for 3 years if he wants 6 mill a year. But if he wants 9 it bye. Will there be a down grade at that position next year, sure they will. But the Pats have to get away from the between the hashes passing game. Let Endleman Gronk and hernandes have that part of the field and get another outside guy like Lloyd to spread the D out side the hashes.
    I think Emmanuel Sanders may be a target as a RFA, if he is tenedered at the original rd level.
    Alot of the great receivers play well into their 30's and even 40's in some cases. TO, Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Randy Moss, Hines Ward just to name a few. Conditioning and sharp route running adds on several years to an NFL career and oh btw he'd have the best QB in the NFL throwing to him.

It would help your argument that Welker is getting old if he actually relied on straight line speed but he doesn't. Welker runs drag and crossing routes that rely more on precision and quickness - he could easily be effective for another 5 years.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of COURSE he wants out!

He'd like to win a SB at some point in his career.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Alot of the great receivers play well into their 30's and even 40's in some cases. TO, Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Randy Moss, Hines Ward just to name a few. Conditioning and sharp route running adds on several years to an NFL career and oh btw he'd have the best QB in the NFL throwing to him.

It would help your argument that Welker is getting old if he actually relied on straight line speed but he doesn't. Welker runs drag and crossing routes that rely more on precision and quickness - he could easily be effective for another 5 years.
    yes and even more did not produce at an all-star level past 32 or 33. You play the odds and let him go before he is a drain on the cap. If he wants 3 years and 18 mill, great or 2 years and 14 fine. I don't understand the straight line speed argument, as if a player only loses speed and not quickness/Suddenness. I am not saying he can't be productive just that the pats can not afford to spend 75% of their available cap space for him. They offered him 2 years 16 mill fully guaranteed last year, and he turned it down.

If they keep Welker at 9mill they will weaken them selves at 3 other positions in order to do so.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Of COURSE he wants out!

He'd like to win a SB at some point in his career.

And if he would have caught the ball he would have.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    If they keep Welker at 9mill they will weaken them selves at 3 other positions in order to do so.
    What is the salary number for WR's in 2013 in case the Pats elect to tag Welker again?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is the salary number for WR's in 2013 in case the Pats elect to tag Welker again?
    The franchise tag # for WRs is set to be around $10 million. But because they tagged Welker last season, he would have a tag # of $11.4 million. Can't see that happening.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    The franchise tag # for WRs is set to be around $10 million. But because they tagged Welker last season, he would have a tag # of $11.4 million. Can't see that happening.
    That would be dumb, IMO, and not New England's style.

They're going to sign him to a 3 year deal, worth about 8 million/year, or not at all.

I believe that an Amendola type WR (not necessarily him), could have the same production that Welker has had.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Serious question, how bad are Pats message boards if you have to come here to discuss the fate of Wes Welker? I know most Pats fans are borderline illiterate (i know because I went to school in Boston for 3 years) but I would think one or two would be able to hold a conversation with you about Welker.

I couldn't imagine logging into a Pats message board to discuss whether we should re-sign Keller or trade Revis.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

They're going to sign him to a 3 year deal, worth about 8 million/year, or not at all.

I believe that an Amendola type WR (not necessarily him), could have the same production that Welker has had.
    That third year is seemingly the obstacle. Pats are reluctant to give it, and Welker knows this is his last chance at the big $$$. Goodbye Wes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Serious question, how bad are Pats message boards if you have to come here to discuss the fate of Wes Welker? I know most Pats fans are borderline illiterate (i know because I went to school in Boston for 3 years) but I would think one or two would be able to hold a conversation with you about Welker.

I couldn't imagine logging into a Pats message board to discuss whether we should re-sign Keller or trade Revis.
    I am am sure the majority of posters agree with you. The vast majority of patriot fans would not post here either. But I don't understand why you find it difficult to comprehend.

I don't know where you live, but here in NE outside of the kids in School in Boston, 98% of the fans are patriot fans. If you live in NY you get and give opposing takes on your team with giant's fans every day. That is unheard of up here.

There is a thread on Wes Welker on every Patriot board. There are 3 options you keep him or let him go, and at what price. After 100 responses, what is the chance of one more poster adding something meaningful to the discussion that the other 100 Patriot fans have not said already?

Look at some of the long threads on the jets here. and read how many of the posts are redundant or even worse posts like "me to" or "+1" Do you find them entertaining? I know what patriot fans think, I am surrounded by them every day. Like you most of them are only interested in the home team and have just a cursory interest in the other teams. The patriot fans that post here feel different.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post

I would rather discuss this (NFL football talk) than most of the other off-the-topic threads that we go off on tangents with.

Honestly, Revis, Mark Sanchez, Idzik, and how bad Tanny ran the team (without any further movement/transactions) was getting/is getting/has gotten old.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

If they were going to give Welker a 3-year deal, they would have done it last year.

And at $11.4MM for the tag, that's not happening either.

Welker has played his last down as a NEP.