Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Francesa Says Welker Wants Out Of NE...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think Mallet ever starts the season for NE, In 2 years he is a FA

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I don't think Mallet ever starts the season for NE, In 2 years he is a FA
    Pats can get something out of him, IMO. A 3rd maybe. Not out of the question.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Pats can get something out of him, IMO. A 3rd maybe. Not out of the question.
    He'd have to start a few games and then play well to generate a 3rd round pick.

Unless Brady gets hurt, he won't start any games before he becomes a FA.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    He'd have to start a few games and then play well to generate a 3rd round pick.

Unless Brady gets hurt, he won't start any games before he becomes a FA.
    I think that him not playing doesn't hurt him. As long as he doesn't show poor play, I believe he has trade value.

It's the unknown that people will be after. He was a good QB in college, coming from the Patriots. He has trade value. Whether it's real value or "perceived" value, that's another story.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that him not playing doesn't hurt him. As long as he doesn't show poor play, I believe he has trade value.

It's the unknown that people will be after. He was a good QB in college, coming from the Patriots. He has trade value. Whether it's real value or "perceived" value, that's another story.
    But the pats believe his value lays in backing up Brady at .5mil a year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    Is that why they signed Lloyd?

I realize speaking negatively about golden boy gets people in a twist....but's he's a ****ty down the field passer.

Im not talking about bombs(which he's not very good at either) Im talking about the types of throws Rodgers can make consistently...that even Flacco makes....Eli can make...what Russel WIlson was doing last year....

Brady isnt that type of passer. They're extremely well coached and he's accurate as hell within 10 yards...but when teams press and force the Pats to beat them...they struggle a bit.
    Brady isnt that type of passer. They're extremely well coached and he's accurate as hell within 10 yards...but when teams press and force the Pats to beat them...they struggle a bit.[/QUOTE]

There's some truth in what you say about Brady, but what separates him is that he has the arm strength to make more throws and the brain to see more than most other QBs. He also protects the ball by resisting the usual urge to force things. All of those factors make up for the less accurate long passes that he throws.

As for Welker, anyone who doesn't see what makes him special isn't paying attention. His supposed replacement, Julian Edelman, will mean a drop-off in the passing game. He might be more shifty on screens, but he drops a lot of passes. I hope Welker comes back and they add a deep threat. That and a little defensive help and they'd be off to the races.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    His supposed replacement, Julian Edelman, will mean a drop-off in the passing game. He might be more shifty on screens, but he drops a lot of passes.
    The last two years, Welker has been in the top 5 in the NFL in dropped passes.

Time to move on.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welker's value is lower for anybody who doesn't have Brady or probably Brees.

I think he'll stay in New England. Because he simply would be hurting his value in two years as a probable cap casualty when struggling to break 1000 yards for another team following the 2013 season.

Welker does not make your QB better. He can be a mostly reliable and valuable tool for teams with a very good QB, though.

I mean if you stuck him on the Jets, it's not like Sanchez would turn into a viable NFL QB.

That argument could be made for AJ Green, Fitzgerald, or Calvin Johnson, though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cinci would be a nice fit, Dalton is pretty accurate, they need a slot guy to go along with Green and Gresham.

Cinci can easily be special this year- Welker and Bush to go along with Green, Gresham, BJGE, they already have a very good D and they got 30 mill of cap room to play with.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mallet doesn't have "no value", if you ask what he has shown in the NFL to be worth a high draft pick, I ask you what has any kid coming out of college shown in the NFL to be worth a high draft pick? Mallet was talked about as a potential 1st rounder when he came out, he slipped due to some pre-draft rumors that have not surfaced since. Only one QB can play at a time, and being behind a Brady type player does not exactly count against him. At another position if a player has not been able to make it onto the field behind depth it typically shows that he isn't good enough to earn play time and thus has no value, but when you are only behind a future hall of famer, the sole backup to him to boot, you cannot blame him for not winning the starting job.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone really think the Pats brass does not know what offensive weapons they need for the remainder of Brady's career? Welker has been a phenom - but at this point the money is better spent on Percy Harvin, Julian Edelman and Danny Woodhead. Wes Welker is too expensive, too short term and too old! The Pats will revamp the passing game to stretch the field and allow the tight ends and quick backs to occupy Welker's spot occupying the middle linebackers and free safeties.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM View Post
    Mallet doesn't have "no value", if you ask what he has shown in the NFL to be worth a high draft pick, I ask you what has any kid coming out of college shown in the NFL to be worth a high draft pick? Mallet was talked about as a potential 1st rounder when he came out, he slipped due to some pre-draft rumors that have not surfaced since. Only one QB can play at a time, and being behind a Brady type player does not exactly count against him. At another position if a player has not been able to make it onto the field behind depth it typically shows that he isn't good enough to earn play time and thus has no value, but when you are only behind a future hall of famer, the sole backup to him to boot, you cannot blame him for not winning the starting job.
    Mallett's value is "indeterminate." He has a great scouting report but he's not getting any significant playing time behind Brady. It's possible he could be developed into an excellent QB, nobody knows. The Pats grabbing him is both a blessing and a curse. You get no chance to prove yourself, but hopefully having a good coaching staff can turn him into something. He won't be stuck in QB purgatory forever... either he'll get traded or will play out his rookie contract and get a chance to prove himself against non-HOF QBs.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Time to move on.
    Is that total drops, or a percentage of targets to Welker?

I'd say if I threw 50 passes to one guy, and 100 to another, the guy with 100 targets will have more drops.

Welker is targeted a lot.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is that total drops, or a percentage of targets to Welker?

I'd say if I threw 50 passes to one guy, and 100 to another, the guy with 100 targets will have more drops.

Welker is targeted a lot.
    Yea, stat I saw was total drops.

It would be interesting to see the percentage based on targeted throws.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Time to move on.
    Dumb. Welker's in the top 5 b/c he is top 3 in targets and receptions every single year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, stat I saw was total drops.

It would be interesting to see the percentage based on targeted throws.
    I would also argue number of drops on passes over the middle would be higher. If you are running an out route, and know you won't be hit, you should make the catch. If you are going over the middle for your 8th reception, and you've been hit 7 times, you are going to drop more passes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Dumb. Welker's in the top 5 b/c he is top 3 in targets and receptions every single year.
    I think there's a lot of bias these days about the "critical" drops that Welker had that everyone thinks about that ignores the 110+ receptions he has every year that makes the Pats elite offense click. It's like a 3-pt shooter who hits all season and helps to team to the playoffs only to miss the crucial one at the last second that costs them the championship, and everyone wants blame him.

That said, he's 31, the Pats have to play the same game they always have wrt to these kinds of situations. Smart decisions payoff in the long run.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Pats letting Welker go would be asinine. Yes Brady is a great QB but Welker is the best slot receiver in the game and has a legit 3-4 top notch years left in him. Gronk's forearm is about as fragile as Chaddycakes' shoulder, Lloyd is very overrated and guys Edelman, Vereen and Goodhead are JAG's made to look serviceable b/c they play with Brady and Welker usually takes away the #1 or #2 CB and Safety leaving those clowns covered by the 4th or 5th DB.

Today's NFL is all about the QB and WR. Welker is the one guy U DO PAY.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    I think there's a lot of bias these days about the "critical" drops that Welker had that everyone thinks about that ignores the 110+ receptions he has every year that makes the Pats elite offense click. It's like a 3-pt shooter who hits all season and helps to team to the playoffs only to miss the crucial one at the last second that costs them the championship, and everyone wants blame him.

That said, he's 31, the Pats have to play the same game they always have wrt to these kinds of situations. Smart decisions payoff in the long run.
    Welker has at least another 3 years left in the tank playing at an elite level and really the Pats would probably only have to give him 3 years guaranteed at the most. As great as Brady is Welker makes him better and he also makes scrubs like Goodhead and Lloyd look better than they really are because defenses are concentrating on Welker. Gronkowski's arm is made of glass.

As a Jets fan I would love to see Welker wind up in Cincy or Indy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Welker has at least another 3 years left in the tank playing at an elite level and really the Pats would probably only have to give him 3 years guaranteed at the most. As great as Brady is Welker makes him better and he also makes scrubs like Goodhead and Lloyd look better than they really are because defenses are concentrating on Welker. Gronkowski's arm is made of glass.

As a Jets fan I would love to see Welker wind up in Cincy or Indy.
    I know your just trolling, but i will bite.

What makes you think Welker will be elite when he is 35? Do you think he is as good as he was 3 years ago? How does a slot guy running 1s and 2s make a guy who runs draws and screens better? Are the backers playing deeper, no. A slot guy has the tendency to keep the defense close to the LOS, a hindrance to a draw or screen.

And when was the last time a jet receiver had a year as good as Lloyd did? And Lloyd being the #4 target.

Sure the pats will sign him for 3 years if he wants 6 mill a year. But if he wants 9 it bye. Will there be a down grade at that position next year, sure they will. But the Pats have to get away from the between the hashes passing game. Let Endleman Gronk and hernandes have that part of the field and get another outside guy like Lloyd to spread the D out side the hashes.
    I think Emmanuel Sanders may be a target as a RFA, if he is tenedered at the original rd level.