Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Can the Jets Get Pass-Happy?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by w0mbat View Post
    If you blame Sanchez's woes on the coaching staff, do you also blame them for Gholston turning out to be a bust?

Like Sanchez, Gholston was a top pick and had a glowing scouting report coming out of college. My point was that some players will struggle to carry over to the pros and are destined to be busts regardless of coaching.

I thought even a simpleton who pretends to be a cartoon character on a sports website could figure out the link between the two. My bad!!!!!!!!!

Neither was Gholston. Of course there is absolutely no possibility at all the draft experts were wrong on Sanchez and Gholston right? Sanchez surely would have become a great franchise QB if it wasn't for coaching. Draft experts are always 100% right with their assessments of 21 and 22 year old college players

Sure the coaching staff can take some blame for not developing Gholston. But there's no way to even compare the two situations.

The way Sanchez has been handled and misused in his four years here would be like the Jets putting Gholston at safety and wondering why he wasn't producing double digit sacks. Gholston was in a defensive system that allowed him to do what he does best rush the QB , Sanchez was never in an offense that was suited to allowing any QB to succeed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez has had 4 years to show SOMETHING. He has not. If we were serious about brining in competition, then he is done. We can bring in a QB with experience in the WCO and Sanchez is done. With his lack of accuracy and trying to learn a new system versus a guy like Flynn, who has better accuracy and knows the system, Sanchez will be the highest priced back up until next March when he is let go.

I would go as far as saying, third string. In addition to signing Flynn, we should draft Wilson in the second. Then if Flynn gets I jured during the season, we should play the rookie over giving Sanchez the valuable snaps needed to develop players that will be on the roster past next season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The stupid thing about this article is that they keep on talking about Sanchez as though he is the unquestioned starter for the Jets.

That is absolutely incorrect.

The fact is, anyone, including Sanchez knows he was hot garbage last season. The only thing keeping Sanchez on the roster right now is his bloated cap figure. That's it.

Any veteran QB on the Jets roster will beat out Mark Sanchez for the starting job with two arms tied behind his back.

So the real point of the article should be WHO will John Idzik sign to take the reigns of Marty Morninweg's WCO?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Perfect example why 99% of Jets fans laugh at you.

In 2010, Sanchez completed a whopping 54.8% of his passes, threw 13 INT's and lost 8 fumbles.

Yep, Mornhinweg will make him an elite QB.

Just like you said last year with Sparano.
    You mean he won't? Thanks for ruining my day!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexJet View Post
    You mean he won't? Thanks for ruining my day!
    Katy's backup QB >>>> Sanchez.

Well the hell you been TJ?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

And Katy's OC and HC are probably 10 times as competent when it comes to designing an offense then Rex/Sparano.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Very few people here will understand the Katy High School reference, but very true. Now that's a football powerhouse. Much to my chagrin, my boys went to Cinco Ranch and Seven Lakes High Schools - we got the crap beat out of us year in and year out.

I've been here all along, just watching from the sidelines. Haven't been very active with my posts - JI has been an interesting place to be for the last couple of years. Too many dumb posts for my taste!

By the way, Sanchez is not going anywhere. He'll be here in 2013. He will restructure his contract. I've been saying that since the end of the season. He'll want another opportunity to compete for the starting QB position, in spite of what many around here think. It's in his best interest to restructure and allow the Jets some flexibility in the process. How that restructure is crafted is beyond my guess, but it will happen. We will also have at least one more competent alternative to compete with him this year, no not Tebow. We'll find out soon enough who that will be.

Unlike others here, I don't foresee a 2-3 win season in 2013. I expect the Jets to be competitive. They may only win 7-8 games though, allot depends on someone stepping up at QB, whether that's Mark or someone else is the question.

The Jets will draft better this year with a competent GM and a good scouting department, which they do have. They can fill some holes in the draft and will find a player or two to fill other holes via free agency (there will be allot of cap space freed up before it's all said and done). We need some of the rookies to start from day one and also need most of the players drafted last year to be strong contributors in 2013. It's happened before, it can happen again.

I'm looking forward to the coming NFL season, low expectations means more to enjoy if they have some success. And I believe this team will have some success. There is a good nucleus of players that have to be augmented by good drafts to make them really competitive again - 2014 could be a good year for this team.

That's my optimistic view of the current state of affairs. A good motorcycle ride or round of golf can fix any bad play by this crazy team I've been a fan of for way too many years - I always have something more interesting to focus on than Jets football!!
    Last edited by TexJet; 02-10-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Sanchez will be the Jets QB in 2013. If he does not show significant improvement next season, the Jets will not waste any more time with him. The Jets need this draft to start filling some of their other needs. There will be a lot of pressure on Mark Sanchez and Rex Ryan to produce.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Because I have an opinion on Sanchez that you don't like and agree with?

So with your 271 posts, you speak for the board?

Change your name to Kih Sma Hass
    LOL... Love you too, shawty-rock.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    The stupid thing about this article is that they keep on talking about Sanchez as though he is the unquestioned starter for the Jets.

That is absolutely incorrect.

The fact is, anyone, including Sanchez knows he was hot garbage last season. The only thing keeping Sanchez on the roster right now is his bloated cap figure. That's it.

Any veteran QB on the Jets roster will beat out Mark Sanchez for the starting job with two arms tied behind his back.

So the real point of the article should be WHO will John Idzik sign to take the reigns of Marty Morninweg's WCO?
    Pure nonesense. Sanchez is now the kind of crappy veterean NFL QB that you think can come in and take the job away from him.

Sanchez is young a veteran NFL QB and sucks. He also has a big cap hit. That puts him miles ahead of simply Veteran NFL QB that just sucks.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    For any QB to be successful in this league they need an offensive gameplan that puts him in good passing situations. In years 1 & 2 of Rex's G&P, Sanchez was afforded that because the running game was stellar , Sanchez wasn't put in 3rd and longs all game long. Plus the D had to respect the run which gave Sanchez some open spaces when Rex reluctantly allowed his O to pass.

We all know what transpired in years 3 & 4 with the talent level on O and the lack of a run game. Many here are quick to pin that blame on Sanchez that he should have carried the team. Well its hard to carry a team in Rex's offensive blueprint.

Enter Mornhinweg and his WCO a offense Sanchez was adept at running at USC. This O allows quick passes and passes that setup the run, something we haven't seen in 4 years from a Rex offense. People look at Sanchez's stats and say he can't play in a WCO his completion % was under 60, You'd be hard pressed to find a QB that could complete 60% in the outdated offense that Rex ran.

And I love when I keep reading he can't read a defense , based on what - oh look I'm watching a game and saw an open wr - he clearly can't read a defense . Unless you know the play calls and progressions on routes for that call you have no idea if he's reading a defense correctly. You can speculate what he should have done on a play but you have no idea even if the recievers are running the correct patterns. That statement even when it comes from announcers is complete and utter bull****.

Look I know Sanchez will never be an elite QB, but given the fact he'll be our starter in 2013 let's at least see what he can do in an O that's not rooted in the leather helmet days.

You want to blame someone , look no further than the sidelines and Mr defense himself.

Sanchez cant read defense pre snap, i dont know how you can argue again
    that has nopthing to do with the recivers.

just one exampel from last year:
    the Houston game, one play before the INT that ended the game
    Sanchez had planty of time to read the defense pre snap and there was a free blitzer coming from his left side, in this kind of situation you see almost every QB in the league point out the free blizter and change the OL protection to account for that player,you see Manning,Brady,Flaco,all of them stand up and point, we see it all the time.

yet Sanchez do nothing, snap , free run to the QB,sack and the Jets are stuck in 3rd and 17

Sanchez cant read a defense to save his life

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fusion View Post
    Sanchez cant read defense pre snap, i dont know how you can argue again
    that has nopthing to do with the recivers.

just one exampel from last year:
    the Houston game, one play before the INT that ended the game
    Sanchez had planty of time to read the defense pre snap and there was a free blitzer coming from his left side, in this kind of situation you see almost every QB in the league point out the free blizter and change the OL protection to account for that player,you see Manning,Brady,Flaco,all of them stand up and point, we see it all the time.

yet Sanchez do nothing, snap , free run to the QB,sack and the Jets are stuck in 3rd and 17

Sanchez cant read a defense to save his life
    And your down on the field with a microphone to pick up line adjustments being made by the QB and Oline. Because Sanchez doesn't do the pointing and gesturing that a Brady or Manning does doesn't mean he's not making adjustments.

Can you accept possibly that an adjustment call was made and our players just whiffed on the pickup, it happens to every offense even the ones where QB's are pointing and yelling He's the Mike and Omaha.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    And your down on the field with a microphone to pick up line adjustments being made by the QB and Oline. Because Sanchez doesn't do the pointing and gesturing that a Brady or Manning does doesn't mean he's not making adjustments.

Can you accept possibly that an adjustment call was made and our players just whiffed on the pickup, it happens to every offense even the ones where QB's are pointing and yelling He's the Mike and Omaha.
    Oh for Pete's sake... do you honestly think Sanchez can read NFL defenses? It is quite obvious if you watch him that he has no clue what he is seeing.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Oh for Pete's sake... do you honestly think Sanchez can read NFL defenses? It is quite obvious if you watch him that he has no clue what he is seeing.

Any NFL QB can read a defense, if they didn't they wouldn't have been drafted no less a #5 pick.

In addition its reported he spends a good deal of time working on film study, again a QB who couldn't read a defense would have no use studying film.

Its a knee jerk reaction haters have here when they see incompletions, interceptions, blown assignments, sacks. Oh he's mentally shot, he can't read a defense blah blah blah. Face it he'll never be a Manning/Brady caliber QB , but it has nothing to do with if he can read a defense.