Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 94

Thread: Can the Jets Get Pass-Happy?

  1. #1

    Can the Jets Get Pass-Happy?

    Can the Jets Get Pass-Happy?
    Switch to West Coast Offense Means Sanchez Will Have to Prove Himself
    By MIKE SIELSKI WSJ.com

    For all the speculation about the improvements the Jets may or may not make to their offense before next season—particularly about whether Mark Sanchez remains the starting quarterback—it's likely that the team already has made its most influential addition.

    By hiring Marty Mornhinweg to be their offensive coordinator, the Jets are effecting an identity change as stark as the one Clark Kent undergoes whenever there's a phone booth nearby. (No, we're not saying Mornhinweg is the Superman of NFL play-callers. Relax.)

    Mornhinweg's arrival means that the Jets will be using the West Coast offense. That is, they'll use a system that is the antithesis of the one they used last season under Tony Sparano. They will be pass-heavy, and those passes will generally be short, quick throws designed to exploit a defense's soft targets and generate big gains of yardage. Under Mornhinweg's direction, the system usually works: Over his 11 seasons as a coordinator—four with the San Francisco 49ers, seven with the Philadelphia Eagles—his teams have ranked in the top 10 in total offense eight times.

    To extend that track record of productivity, though, Mornhinweg will have to reconcile his West Coast principles with the Jets' obvious limitations. This was, after all, the 30th-best offense in the NFL in 2012. So assuming that the Jets enter next season with similar personnel on offense, here's a primer on the factors that will determine the success of Mornhinweg's tenure.

    1. Seriously—Marty likes to throw the ball.

    Over his first four years as head coach, Rex Ryan had used certain buzzwords and phrases to define the Jets' offense: all-weather, ground-and-pound, attacking. Whatever term he wielded, though, the Jets' approach and the results they got were generally the same: They ranked no better than 20th in total offense in three of those four years, and in 2009, they ran the ball 609 times—77 more times than any other team.

    By contrast, the Eagles attempted at least 104 more passes than running plays in every season Mornhinweg was in charge of their offense. It really can't be overstated how different his philosophy is.

    2. The Jets' receivers should find their routes easier to learn and run.

    In Sparano's offense, the Jets' wideouts often had two or three options on any pass pattern they ran. "Those types of things take time to learn," said former NFL quarterback Jeff Garcia, who played under Mornhinweg for three seasons with the 49ers and Eagles. "If your quarterback and receivers are not on the same page, that's going to create a lack of confidence in each other."

    In Mornhinweg's system, the routes are predetermined, and it's up to the quarterback to know which receiver should be open, based on the defense's coverage. "By the time you hit your fifth step in your drop," Garcia said, "you know where you're going with the football."

    3. Sanchez (if he is the starter) must prove he can be accurate enough with his passes to thrive in the West Coast system.

    This is what could define Sanchez's career as an NFL quarterback, for he has never completed more than 57% of his passes in any of his four seasons. Garcia said that Sanchez has the necessary physical and mental attributes to be an effective West Coast QB and that Mornhinweg can, in a way, teach him the position anew: "Marty's not going to allow a player, just because he's been around for a while, to come out there on the field and not be good in a technical part of the game."

    Brian Baldinger, an analyst for The NFL Network, isn't so sure. The Jets' previous offensive schemes, he said, were so simplistic and demanded so little of the quarterback that it may be difficult for Sanchez to carry out the reads and make the precise throws that are intrinsic to the West Coast system.

    "I always said Mark Sanchez looked like a Canon commercial for the camera," Baldinger said. "It was just point and shoot. It's time for the quarterback to do more. If anybody is going to get the most out of Sanchez, of the guys who have coached him I would say Marty has the best chance."

    Write to Mike Sielski at mike.sielski@wsj.com

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...=ITP_newyork_5

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,376
    If the Jets get pass happy with Mark Sanchez, we'll win no more then 2 games. We could also see 4-5 more ass fumbles.

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,994
    Why keep mentioning mark sanchez in this article? There is 0 chance he is taking any snaps for us this year.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Why keep mentioning mark sanchez in this article? There is 0 chance he is taking any snaps for us this year.
    You keep telling yourself that. I think there is 0% chance he is not. With his contract, a new system. All we will hear from Rex starting in training camp is.... This is the kind of offence I always saw Mark running. BLAH BLAH BLAH. He has shown lots of improvement, he is picking up the new offence much faster than the other QB'S on the roster. And so on and so on and all that kinda stuff. I can hear him already. Yup we will be starting 2013 with Markey Mark weather you I or anybody elese likes it or not.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    You keep telling yourself that. I think there is 0% chance he is not. With his contract, a new system. All we will hear from Rex starting in training camp is.... This is the kind of offence I always saw Mark running. BLAH BLAH BLAH. He has shown lots of improvement, he is picking up the new offence much faster than the other QB'S on the roster. And so on and so on and all that kinda stuff. I can hear him already. Yup we will be starting 2013 with Markey Mark weather you I or anybody elese likes it or not.
    I just don't buy it. First off, it's going to be Marty's call (Not Rex's) Secondly, Sanchez is really bad and watching any game other than opening week from last year and you can see that. Whomever is starting for the Jets next year, it won't be Sanchez.

  6. #6
    Honestly I don't know what to think any more. I've heard Sanchez will never take another snap for the Jets again and then I've heard he will be the starter again. I do like the idea though that in Marty's system the QB know where he's gonna throw it by his 5th drop back step. The receivers routes are predetermined and the QB goes to his best matchup vs each receiver can choose 3 different routes on every play in Sparanos system. Seems in Marty's system the QB has less to worry about and can concentrate on accuracy and timing.
    Just find something that works is what really matters.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    You keep telling yourself that. I think there is 0% chance he is not. With his contract, a new system. All we will hear from Rex starting in training camp is.... This is the kind of offence I always saw Mark running. BLAH BLAH BLAH. He has shown lots of improvement, he is picking up the new offence much faster than the other QB'S on the roster. And so on and so on and all that kinda stuff. I can hear him already. Yup we will be starting 2013 with Markey Mark weather you I or anybody elese likes it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I just don't buy it. First off, it's going to be Marty's call (Not Rex's) Secondly, Sanchez is really bad and watching any game other than opening week from last year and you can see that. Whomever is starting for the Jets next year, it won't be Sanchez.
    And really, what does the weather have to do with Mark starting?

  8. #8
    I understand people not wanting to give Mark any more chances -- he's certainly used up enough of them already. But I also understand people (like me) who are holding out all hope that SOMETHING can be salvaged. Right now, we're not one player away anyway, so I don't mind seeing if MM can work some magic.

    I'm not saying this is going to happen (or even that it's likely), but can we agree there's a difference between finding the open receiver and knowing beforehand who "should" be open? Sanchez seems to be willing to put in the work, and while I'm not an expert on MM's system it sounds like any mistake Mark makes won't be based on a "bad read" as much as not knowing the play as well as he should. I like the idea that these plays have already been proven to work (ala MM's resume), as that should build the confidence between Sanchez and his receivers, which must have been at an all-time low last year.

    Having said that, I'll be surprised if it all happens. But I for one am at least willing to give it a chance -- I've waited this long . . .

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I understand people not wanting to give Mark any more chances -- he's certainly used up enough of them already. But I also understand people (like me) who are holding out all hope that SOMETHING can be salvaged. Right now, we're not one player away anyway, so I don't mind seeing if MM can work some magic.

    I'm not saying this is going to happen (or even that it's likely), but can we agree there's a difference between finding the open receiver and knowing beforehand who "should" be open? Sanchez seems to be willing to put in the work, and while I'm not an expert on MM's system it sounds like any mistake Mark makes won't be based on a "bad read" as much as not knowing the play as well as he should. I like the idea that these plays have already been proven to work (ala MM's resume), as that should build the confidence between Sanchez and his receivers, which must have been at an all-time low last year.

    Having said that, I'll be surprised if it all happens. But I for one am at least willing to give it a chance -- I've waited this long . . .
    Agreed. We saw it just last season with Alex Smith. We've seen it with others such as Garcia and Marty, Gannon and Gruden; The coach/coordinator has a lot to do with it.

    Alex Smith was Sanchez before Sanchez came into the league...he had played something like 7 seasons with 6 coordinators, and was considered a bust. All of a sudden, Harbaugh signs on, and his game turns into high completions, low turnovers, and the best passer rating in the league.

    I'm not saying I want Smith, cuz the guy ain't great, but if we can get similar results, we'll have something brewing, because Sanchez is definitely more dynamic than Smith.

    To be clear, I want Tyler Bray next year, and want to be done with Sanchez...but I'm just saying that it's difficult to envision Sanchez playing as bad or worse than last season...there's really nowhere to go but up, and other than last season under dumb**** Sparano, Sanchez had progressed every year.

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,307
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I understand people not wanting to give Mark any more chances -- he's certainly used up enough of them already. But I also understand people (like me) who are holding out all hope that SOMETHING can be salvaged. Right now, we're not one player away anyway, so I don't mind seeing if MM can work some magic.

    I'm not saying this is going to happen (or even that it's likely), but can we agree there's a difference between finding the open receiver and knowing beforehand who "should" be open? Sanchez seems to be willing to put in the work, and while I'm not an expert on MM's system it sounds like any mistake Mark makes won't be based on a "bad read" as much as not knowing the play as well as he should. I like the idea that these plays have already been proven to work (ala MM's resume), as that should build the confidence between Sanchez and his receivers, which must have been at an all-time low last year.

    Having said that, I'll be surprised if it all happens. But I for one am at least willing to give it a chance -- I've waited this long . . .
    I agree with you 100%

    You realize what many posters don't, that the Jets had no strategic plan on offense as it concerned the QB and his development for the last four years and maybe now that we do there maybe a different outcome.

    See posters keep spouting silly nonsense like because the Jets have a good defense that is the same thing as having a STRATEGIC plan on how you are going to develop your number 5 pick, the guy, the QB, you picked in the draft who was RAW when you drafted him!!!!

  11. #11
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by yayankee View Post
    In Mornhinweg's system, the routes are predetermined, and it's up to the quarterback to know which receiver should be open, based on the defense's coverage. "By the time you hit your fifth step in your drop," Garcia said, "you know where you're going with the football."


    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...=ITP_newyork_5
    Here is my problem with Sanchez running the offense. I have zero confidence that he will be able to read defences.

    My plan, let MS, Matt Moore, and McElroy battle it out for the starting spot. Do not waste a draft pick on any of these jag QB's. We've got too many needed to waste one: OL, RB, FB, TE, OLB, ILB, FS, SS, NT, WR (damn that is a long list) starters and depth. We can help ourselves in the draft here but not at QB.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Why keep mentioning mark sanchez in this article? There is 0 chance he is taking any snaps for us this year.
    I hope you're right, and hopefully Mornhinweg will have a say on that because I don't believe he'd play Sanchez, but if it's up to Wrecks, it'll be Sanchez for at least the first two months of the season.

    The buffoon is clueless, offensively.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    I agree with you 100%

    You realize what many posters don't, that the Jets had no strategic plan on offense as it concerned the QB and his development for the last four years and maybe now that we do there maybe a different outcome.

    See posters keep spouting silly nonsense like because the Jets have a good defense that is the same thing as having a STRATEGIC plan on how you are going to develop your number 5 pick, the guy, the QB, you picked in the draft who was RAW when you drafted him!!!!
    +1
    The team has so many needs that we are really in a tough situation. See if MM can salvage Sanchez and if not then more on and cut him after this season.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Why keep mentioning mark sanchez in this article? There is 0 chance he is taking any snaps for us this year.
    Well since you have been 100% wrong on every other 'prediction', there is now zero chance that Mark will not be starting. Gotta love the unfounded confidence!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    If the Jets get pass happy with Mark Sanchez, we'll win no more then 2 games. We could also see 4-5 more ass fumbles.
    WIth Sanchez as starter, what's the over/under on 2013 buttfumbles?

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Why keep mentioning mark sanchez in this article? There is 0 chance he is taking any snaps for us this year.
    You think football will prevail over $$$$$$?

    Hope you are right.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,179
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    If the Jets get pass happy with Mark Sanchez, we'll win no more then 2 games. We could also see 4-5 more ass fumbles.
    Hopefully it won't be a repeat of the 59 pass Jets-Giants game orchestrated by Schittenheimer.
    Actually reading the above article is the first thing to inspire some confidence, well hope anyway, that there is some hope - Mark not having to think certainly takes away a huge liability

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    If the Jets get pass happy with Mark Sanchez, we'll win no more then 2 games. We could also see 4-5 more ass fumbles.


    Or, with talent added to the offense this season, better offensive coaching with Mornhinweg and David Lee, and a philosophy change to the WCO, maybe Sanchez bounces back and gets back on track from where he was after 2010.

    Is this not possible?

    It's hilarious how many fans have written Sanchez off for their own selfish and ignorant agendas.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I understand people not wanting to give Mark any more chances -- he's certainly used up enough of them already. But I also understand people (like me) who are holding out all hope that SOMETHING can be salvaged. Right now, we're not one player away anyway, so I don't mind seeing if MM can work some magic.

    I'm not saying this is going to happen (or even that it's likely), but can we agree there's a difference between finding the open receiver and knowing beforehand who "should" be open? Sanchez seems to be willing to put in the work, and while I'm not an expert on MM's system it sounds like any mistake Mark makes won't be based on a "bad read" as much as not knowing the play as well as he should. I like the idea that these plays have already been proven to work (ala MM's resume), as that should build the confidence between Sanchez and his receivers, which must have been at an all-time low last year.

    Having said that, I'll be surprised if it all happens. But I for one am at least willing to give it a chance -- I've waited this long . . .
    Exactly!!!

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    Agreed. We saw it just last season with Alex Smith. We've seen it with others such as Garcia and Marty, Gannon and Gruden; The coach/coordinator has a lot to do with it.

    Alex Smith was Sanchez before Sanchez came into the league...he had played something like 7 seasons with 6 coordinators, and was considered a bust. All of a sudden, Harbaugh signs on, and his game turns into high completions, low turnovers, and the best passer rating in the league.

    I'm not saying I want Smith, cuz the guy ain't great, but if we can get similar results, we'll have something brewing, because Sanchez is definitely more dynamic than Smith.

    To be clear, I want Tyler Bray next year, and want to be done with Sanchez...but I'm just saying that it's difficult to envision Sanchez playing as bad or worse than last season...there's really nowhere to go but up, and other than last season under dumb**** Sparano, Sanchez had progressed every year.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us