Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 369

Thread: Breaking News: Jets looking to restructure Sanchez contract

  1. #161
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    the 49ers are a better team with kapernick. alex smith is a mediocre qb at best not a huge upgrade over sanchez.
    That wasnt the question. People were saying the same things you are saying about Sanchez, about Smith a few years ago. Harbaugh comes in and Smith turns into a competent QB. Coincidence that a competent HC comes in and Smith becomes a competent QB?

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    That wasnt the question. People were saying the same things you are saying about Sanchez, about Smith a few years ago. Harbaugh comes in and Smith turns into a competent QB. Coincidence that a competent HC comes in and Smith becomes a competent QB?
    The better observation would be to acknowledge the intelligence and courage harbaugh possesses. He realized that he had maximized Smith's potential and it was not good enough.

    Rex on the other hand lets his stubbornness get the best of him time and time again. Scott, Holmes, Sanchez ... They are all detrimental factors leading to the Jets inability to break the chains of mediocrity.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 02-10-2013 at 10:43 AM.

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    That wasnt the question. People were saying the same things you are saying about Sanchez, about Smith a few years ago. Harbaugh comes in and Smith turns into a competent QB. Coincidence that a competent HC comes in and Smith becomes a competent QB?
    what did alex smith win? the 49ers **** the bed against the giants. smith struggled.

    harbaugh pulled the plug on alex smith in favor of kaepernick. rex ryan failed to pull the plug on sanchez. we can compare qbs and head coaches and get the same results.

    i dont want just a competant qb i want a frnachise qb a winner who gets the job done.

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    People said the same things about Alex Smith, but when a competent offensive minded HC came in, he suddenly turned into a competent QB. Think there is any coincidence in that?
    Just like Sanchez, Smith became 'competant' when the team suddenly had a top 5 running game, oline and defense. He was not coached up to be really good. Put Smith on the Jets and guess what, he will regress.

  5. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Don't do a damned thing, Mark.

    The Jets have gone out of their way to f-ck you every step of the way since you got here, asking you for another favor is laughable.

    Stick to your guns, bro. The fans, well, the smart fans, are behind you on this one.

    SAR I
    DELUSIONAL, truly, truly delusional...

    Sanchez was given everything any young player could have ever wanted. Most young QB's would kill to have been coddled the way Sanchez has been.

    But, eventually, it was time for Sanchez to grow up. It was time for him to take some accountability. It was time for him to perform with a little less.

    How did he respond? He fell directly into the fetal position. He spit the bit. He fell on his face.

    That should tell any fan all he needs to know. Sanchez was given an opportunity and he failed at it. That is the truth. That is the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

    In regards to Sanchez restructuring his contract, I think it would be the right move for him to do that. If he is truly all about the NYJ, and this consumate team player that so many claim he is, then he should be happy to do such a thing. After all, it is the right thing for the NYJ.

    And there are some valuable things to come out of this:

    1) Sanchez is looked at in a more positive light by his teammates. Other than being a guy who chooses to hijack the New York Jets season by hogging all of their cap space. He's suddenly looked upon as a guy who's willing to FIGHT for what he wants. He's willing to EARN it. Something he's never done since coming to the New York Jets.

    2) It helps out the Jets immensely. They get very badly needed cap space so they can hope fully sign some FA's to keep them competeitive for the immediate future.

  6. #166
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    The better observation would be to acknowledge the intelligence and courage harbaugh possesses. He realized that he had maximized Smith's potential and it was not good enough.
    Again, thats not the point. The point was, that Smith was declared dead and buried in San Fran, just like Sanchez. Harbaugh comes in and turned him into a competent starting QB. Did Smith all of a sudden "get it" after 7 seasons? Or did a competent coach finally figure out how to utilize him?

  7. #167
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Elizabeth, NJ
    Posts
    3,458
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Don't do a damned thing, Mark.

    The Jets have gone out of their way to f-ck you every step of the way since you got here, asking you for another favor is laughable.

    Stick to your guns, bro. The fans, well, the smart fans, are behind you on this one.

    SAR I
    Regardless of what we as fans may think of Sanchez, whether positive or negative, Sanchez would be stupid to agree to any restructuring when you look at it from a business point of view. In the end, that's exactly what this is.

  8. #168
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Just like Sanchez, Smith became 'competant' when the team suddenly had a top 5 running game, oline and defense. He was not coached up to be really good. Put Smith on the Jets and guess what, he will regress.
    Right. So you are saying that the team surrounding the QB makes a difference in his performance.

  9. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Again, thats not the point. The point was, that Smith was declared dead and buried in San Fran, just like Sanchez. Harbaugh comes in and turned him into a competent starting QB. Did Smith all of a sudden "get it" after 7 seasons? Or did a competent coach finally figure out how to utilize him?
    you keep referring to smith being competant. do you feel competant is succesful or just able to take snaps and show up to the game?

  10. #170
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    Pretty sure the union wouldn't let him do that even if he wanted to.
    What does the union have to do with this? All they can do is ADVISE him what to do. They cannot override what Sanchez wants. If Sanchez, being of sound mind and faculty, chooses to restructure his contract, all the while knowing that he runs a huge risk of getting cut outright, wants to COMPETE for the starting job, then what does the union have to say about that?

    Most likely nothing is my guess. All they would be advising Sanchez to do is be greedy and guarantee that no other team gives him a shot because they would be afraid that Sanchez would do the same thing to them.

  11. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Again, thats not the point. The point was, that Smith was declared dead and buried in San Fran, just like Sanchez. Harbaugh comes in and turned him into a competent starting QB. Did Smith all of a sudden "get it" after 7 seasons? Or did a competent coach finally figure out how to utilize him?
    Does not matter ... He was replaced because he was not good enough ... I'm not sure what you are trying to say. If Sanchez turns it around this year, he will, much like Smith, STILL NOT BE GOOD ENOUGH.

    And that my friend, ... Sadly, .... Is the point.

  12. #172
    sanchez apologists really need to take thier heads out of thier asses. he is a 4 year starter in this league and he has rapidly regressed and needs to be replaced.

  13. #173
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,737
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    In spurts in different playoff games, sure.

    But in every game, a critical offensive series was needed and Mark Sanchez was making clutch throws each time.

    And in the two playoff losses? Please, all on the defense. Mark played brilliantly in the first half of the '09 AFCCG, gave us an 11 point lead that Rex's defense blew. The following year, Mark led a ferocious comeback after Rex's defense didn't get off the bus and put us in a 17-0 hole in the first half.

    He was a 22 year old rookie in his first post-season, couldn't have done any better to get us to the Super Bowl, the D couldn't hold on for 35 minutes against a Colts team on its last-legs.

    He was a 23 year old sophomore in his second post-season, had a clutch comeback with 2:00 on the clock to end Peyton Manning and the following week destroyed the Patriots when they expected him to fail.

    Watch the highlights. The selective memories around here are getting tiresome.

    SAR I

    I've always given Sanchez credit for the '09 AFCC game against Indy and the 2010 divisional game against New England. But he was along for the ride in the other 4 playoff games. I don't even see how you could say otherwise.

    As for the 2010 AFCC game against Pitt...are you kidding me? Sanchez was directly responsible for gift wrapping the Steelers 7 points before the half. In that first half, he lead the Steelers to more points than he did us.

    And the Steelers went into a shell in the 2nd half due to a 24 point lead. They played not to lose. James Harrison was even very critical of the playcalling afterwards for letting us back in the game.

    You're acting like Sanchez is some sort of Montana-esque force in the playoffs. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 02-10-2013 at 11:01 AM.

  14. #174
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I've always given Sanchez credit for the '09 AFCC game against Indy and the 2010 divisional game against New England. But he was along for the ride in the other 4 playoff games. I don't even see how you could say otherwise.

    As for the 2010 AFCC game against Pitt...are you kidding me? Sanchez was directly responsible for gift wrapping the Steelers 7 points before the half.

    And the Steelers went into a shell in the 2nd half due to a 24 point lead. They played not to lose. James Harrison was even very critical of the playcalling afterwards for letting us back in the game.

    You're acting like Sanchez is some sort of Montana-esque force in the playoffs. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    he hasnt delievered squat since those glory days. beating buffalo and other teams with losing records isnt the qb i want leading this team.

  15. #175
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    There are 2 people on the planet who think Mark is an NFL caliber QB. One is SAR the other is Rex. Oh the ironing.
    You're wrong, Dcat. SAR is the only one who thinks Sanchez is Joe Montana. Rex Ryan only went with Mark Sanchez because he KNEW that Sanchez was the best QB on the roster. As sad as that is to say, Rex Ryan was right. Mark Sanchez is the BEST QB on the Jets roster right now.

    Rex also has a very good quality in that he NEVER throws his players under the bus. That is why you will never hear Rex say anything derogatory about Sanchez. Rex just knows that Sanchez sucks and he's hoping like hell that Sanchez is off the team, so he can move on.

  16. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    DELUSIONAL, truly, truly delusional...

    Sanchez was given everything any young player could have ever wanted. Most young QB's would kill to have been coddled the way Sanchez has been.

    But, eventually, it was time for Sanchez to grow up. It was time for him to take some accountability. It was time for him to perform with a little less.

    How did he respond? He fell directly into the fetal position. He spit the bit. He fell on his face.

    That should tell any fan all he needs to know. Sanchez was given an opportunity and he failed at it. That is the truth. That is the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

    In regards to Sanchez restructuring his contract, I think it would be the right move for him to do that. If he is truly all about the NYJ, and this consumate team player that so many claim he is, then he should be happy to do such a thing. After all, it is the right thing for the NYJ.

    And there are some valuable things to come out of this:

    1) Sanchez is looked at in a more positive light by his teammates. Other than being a guy who chooses to hijack the New York Jets season by hogging all of their cap space. He's suddenly looked upon as a guy who's willing to FIGHT for what he wants. He's willing to EARN it. Something he's never done since coming to the New York Jets.

    2) It helps out the Jets immensely. They get very badly needed cap space so they can hope fully sign some FA's to keep them competeitive for the immediate future.
    I believe Peyton Manning did this in Indianapolis so it is not unprecedented. Maybe Sanchez has it in him to do this... However he has not held himself accountable for anything so I am not holding my breath

  17. #177
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Exactly, and I typically agree with 99% of everything you post.

    I'm just baffled on your viewpoint on Sanchez.
    My viewpoint on Sanchez is often misunderstood because people are looking for a pro-Sanchez guy to vent on having been conditioned to having pro-Tebow people all last year.

    Here's where I am on Sanchez:

    I believe there's a 70% chance that he's done, sucks, over.

    I believe there is a 30% chance that with the right supporting cast he can regain his confidence and the early looks at what he might have become can again reappear.

    I believe his is a great post-season quarterback and that's a quality that is very hard to find.

    That's it. I'm no Sanchez fanboy. He sucks right now. I believe that he's worth another look because of what the prior regime did to him these past two years. Even if the odds are slim, we owe it to ourselves to find out. Not like we're going anywhere for the next 3-4 seasons anyway.

    SAR I

  18. #178
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    That is because he was coming off his second year in the league. He was not the 4th year failure that he IS today. He had two mediocre years where he did not completely **** the bed, and admittedly played some stellar playoff games.
    You have to divide the Sanchez era into two parts:

    Part I: The 22 year old rookie. 2009 and 2010 seasons.

    Part II: Stripped of all his weapons, under a bad offensive line, a RB that stinks, two coordinators in two years, asked to throw too much because the D had us behind in games early and the RB couldn't run.

    This isn't some "slow erosion" of a quarterback. He was destroyed by his HC and GM.

    SAR I

  19. #179
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Roots View Post
    When my arm goes bad at work and I can't pick up the phone or email anymore, I will tell my boss I am a victim. I hope he understands...
    When your boss takes away your phone and your computer, yes, you will tell him you're a victim because you don't have the tools to do your job.

    SAR I

  20. #180
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    SAR, agree here with TX. I, too, enjoy reading your threads, they are often very funny and well thought out. You have mastered the idea of "media", even in this little arena, using it to arouse people's emotions. The thing I don't get is you are on a crusade(of which I agree) to get rid of Rex ASAP, yet you support his chosen QB, who has regessed to the point of no return and has led the Jets to the bottom of the league yet again. Sanchez is just as responsible, if not more so, than Rex, because he is actually on the field wrecking games. I just don't get how you can despise Rex, yet support his co-conspirator.
    I do not support Mark Sanchez. No one wants what we see on the field these past two seasons.

    But I see two things:

    1. He was very good for a 22 year old, won more playoff games than all other Jets QB's combined, and had amazing promise as a potential franchise QB going into the 2011 season.

    2. Going into the 2011 season, every good playmaker he had was replaced with garbage, the offensive coordinator got himself fired, the OL and Wayne Hunter got him slaughtered, and the running back couldn't get any yardage.

    Add those things up, there's a distinct possibility that Mark Sanchez might have blossomed into a tremendous quarterback if we had kept his playmakers intact and made better decisions at OL, RB, and OC, and didn't have a HC whose just a DC run-amok.

    I want to find out. That's it. I'm no Mark Sanchez fan. I'm just a Jets fan who has seen horrible quarterbacking since 1976 and I'm not too keen on punting the one guy in the past 40 years that might actually be good if shown some support.

    SAR I

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us