Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Kenny Vaccaro a reach at #9?

All League

Is Kenny Vaccaro a reach at #9?

ESPN had a highlight of him at about 3am today. I thought last year he came out and didn't know he was still playing this year. Mel & McShay said last year he's a faster version of Landry and while he isn't the ball hawk of a Reed he's a mack truck on skates. The Jets could go in 3 different direction seeing how the board is stacked now, Guard/Tackle with Warmack and Joeckel, OLB with Jones, Bingo, Jordan and Moore. Or they can go Safety with Vaccaro. I'm not sure we can/will sign Landry with the Revis contract looming. If Bell stays pairing him with a guy like Vaccaro could be a good mix of youth and leadership we could grow from. I wouldn't fret if the Jets got him in the first round. He's the only Safety graded out to be a first round talent. His talent dictates he will go in the top 15 but I wouldn't risk dropping down to get him if that's your guy.

In order of preference I would go Warmack, Vaccaro at the 9 spot. If you move down to say the low 20's and pick up a #2 I would go any of the OLB. Moore to me looks to be at the same talent level of the praised Jones & Bingo so for me that would be a good thing if it were to happen.

What do you think?

I've heard arguments that he is going to be a top ten pick. I still like Eric Reid more but I'd also rather a SS. If Revis is back for this year I don't see a huge need to shoot the moon on a DB. Bush and Allen both looked OK in their rookie years. I would like to think we drafted at least one late round guy that can actually have an impact on this team.

All Pro
    I don't see it. He's not Mark Barron or Eric Berry or Earl Thomas.

And, for the Jets, taking him would be pretty dumb. Drafting a S in the top 10 is worse than picking a RG there.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'll be disappointed if we go defense in Round 1, unless someone like Damontre Moore falls (snowballs chance in hell).

If Rex is such a defensive genius, then I don't understand why we need to take a defensive player in the 1st round for the 4th year in a row. Especially when our offense struggles just to score 10 points a game.

I have way more faith in a guy like Warmack being a stud OL over the next decade than I do in someone like Ansah or Mingo developing into an elite passrusher.

Dream draft:

Trade down grab a low 1 and a high 2 and still grab one of the guards.....trade back into the low first round and grab Nassib and Stephan Taylor in the second.....

All League
    Untouchable, I agree. Maybe the theory of Rex being an excellent coach will enable the defense to flourish more than they have over the last couple of years. I really like Warmack because he fits a need at Guard and the learning curve for him to make an immediate impact is like 0. You can plug and play him day 1. You can add another guard through FA or a undrafted rookie to fill out the roster and sign Slauson as a backup/reserve player. A unit of Brick, Warmack, Mangold, free agent and Howard could be very formidable. And I just don't see another player in the top 20 making a dramatic impact. So Warmack makes sense.

I really like what I see of Vaccaro though.

Thumbs up Vaccaro

I like Vaccarro, but this is a deep safety class, and I think he is definitely a reach at number nine overall.

Keep in mind that safety is a position that is devalued on draft day.

I hope that the Jets address the pass rush at number nine with a guy like Jarvis Jones or Bark Mingo. The Jets lack of a pass rush really killed them last season, they have good talent up front with Wilkerson and Coples, but you need a pass rush off the edge to make the 3-4 work. (look at Ware in Dallas, Suggs in Baltimore, etc.)

If they do that, they could draft a safety like Eric Reid (SS) from LSU or Tony Jefferson (FS) from Oklahoma in the second round.

I found this really interesting and in depth big board from Sportsmasher.com which has a lot of detail on the to 70 in the draft, definitely worth a look:

http://sportsmasher.com/2013/02/08/2...d-version-1-0/

i prefer matt elam, he can hit and plays with a real chip on his shoulder, obviously 9 is high for him love for him to fall in the 2nd to us

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I'll be disappointed if we go defense in Round 1, unless someone like Damontre Moore falls (snowballs chance in hell).

If Rex is such a defensive genius, then I don't understand why we need to take a defensive player in the 1st round for the 4th year in a row. Especially when our offense struggles just to score 10 points a game.

I have way more faith in a guy like Warmack being a stud OL over the next decade than I do in someone like Ansah or Mingo developing into an elite passrusher.
    there's really only 3 offense prospects definitely worth a top 10 pick this year. look at how many #1 picks houston has spent on defense in recent years. we need good players period

All Pro
    This crop of pass rushers is going to be hard to pass up IMO - especially for a team that hasn't had a single individual threat since Abraham left. It's the biggest need on Defense.

I wish there was a stud RB or WR - a playmaker because we need them but there isn't a guy worth #9 overall. Warmack will be a great player but I want an OLB pass rusher all the way this year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Because our defense wasn't that good to begin with; Rex has done a great job with them, but there was a SERIOUS lack of talent for awhile (and still is at OLB and S)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Because our defense wasn't that good to begin with; Rex has done a great job with them, but there was a SERIOUS lack of talent for awhile (and still is at OLB and S)
    agreed... especially considering the impact a legit pass rushing OLB would have considering the talent we've added on the DL. look at the impact that a player like aldon smith had on the 49ers with that talented line in front of him

Undrafted Free Agent
    I would like to see us trade back with St.louis for their two first rounders...not sure how the points add up but could be a great move for us

All Pro
    OMG, No. It was bad enough to have to read over and over about wanting to take an OG top 10, but now we are entertaining the possibility of taking an ok SS at 9.

When will it end.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    OMG, No. It was bad enough to have to read over and over about wanting to take an OG top 10, but now we are entertaining the possibility of taking an ok SS at 9.

When will it end.
    Relax my brother. Not much else to do for about a month might as well let people get their thoughts out.

Plus we can say anything we want when was the last time the jets listened to the fans on a draft pick? WE WANT SAPP!!!

I really do have to laugh at people saying that taking Warmack at #9 is a terrible idea.

As far as Vaccaro, I don't know anything about him but I'm tired of taking defense in the first round... especially another DB. We need serious offensive help. Warmack is my pick and then hopefully Montee Ball in the 2nd if he's still there which I'm highly doubting.

Yes, Vaccaro's a reach at nine, but he is a FS and we haven't had one of those since 2009. We NEED to find a legitimate FS who can cover the TE. Last year was the best tandem of S's we've had under Ryan, but again they were two SS's with Landry being the one playing out of position and getting burned by TE's when the opposition wasn't running the ball down our throats.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post

When will it end.
    Tin, I disagree because of how the board stacks up. There are a number of defensive players you can go with and while 2-3 may be elite talents, I don't see them graded higher than Warmack. IF he's the best player on the board at a position of need unless we happen to trade down, you have to take him. As for Vaccaro, I thought he declared last year. He could have come out and been a top 20 pick. I think he's going to be a great player because while he's a safety, he lined up covering slot WR's a lot. Then he hits as hard as any safety I've seen since Landry himself. He's played against elite competition and has no off the field issues. In fact he's a student of the game with great study habits (scouting reports). And he fits a position of need with no guarantee that Landry & Bell will be resigned. If he's there at 9 and Warmack is still on the board, I would pick Warmack, but if he isn't and Vaccaro is there...I think depending on who is there at OLB you have to consider Vaccaro.

Hopefully, a new sherriff in town boys(Idzik). One who won't delegate his draft responsibilities to a buffoon head coach like his predecessor did. BAP, period. If it's Vaccaro, so be it. That's how real teams draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I really do have to laugh at people saying that taking Warmack at #9 is a terrible idea.

As far as Vaccaro, I don't know anything about him but I'm tired of taking defense in the first round... especially another DB. We need serious offensive help. Warmack is my pick and then hopefully Montee Ball in the 2nd if he's still there which I'm highly doubting.
    +1

Warmack in Round 1 and Montee Ball/Stepfan Taylor in Round 2.

It's pretty much a given that we'll always have at least a Top 10 defense as long as Rex is here. We fielded the best defense in the league with guys like Jim Leonhard, Lito Sheppard and Marques Douglas starting for f*ck sake. Work on fixing this abortion of an offense already.

Pick up a passrusher in the 3rd like Brandon Jenkins or Alex Okafor.

I have no clue why everyone seems to think we can only find a passrusher in the 1st round.