Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Story: Keep Him or let Him Go: Dustin Keller

Post New Story: Keep Him or let Him Go: Dustin Keller

As of right now we don't know anything about John Idzik as a General Manager, but with all the different immediate decisions Idzik will have to face, it won't take long for us to form some type of understanding of what he's about.

Would he really trade Revis? How does he address the quarterback situation in 2013? Draft offense or defense? Best Player Available or need? Who does he target in free agency and who does he retain from this roster?

With the Jets already set to release Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Eric Smith and Jason Smith (and possibly Sione Po'uha or...

More...

Veteran
    This article is dead on. Only for the right price should we bring him back. Cumberland still has some room to grow and will be much cheaper. And the draft has some good options.

keller is garbage-tight ends are a dime a dozen-let him walk-he is not anywhere near a top tight end and cant stay healthy
    I would rather have cumberland right now at less money

Quote Originally Posted by kmsurfs2000 View Post
    keller is garbage-tight ends are a dime a dozen-let him walk-he is not anywhere near a top tight end and cant stay healthy
    Agreed, each year there are usually TE's that become available and do not cost a lot.

All Pro
    I can truly honestly say that trading back into the 1sr round for Dustin Keller was a bigger mistake than trading up for Mark Sanchez.

Oh and I never wanted Mark Sanchez anywhere near my Jets.

Banned
    Ummm, last year was the only year Keller missed any games due to injury.

Hardly a guy you can say "can't stay healthy".

Keller just strengthens my belief that no TE is worth a 1st rounder. He is good better then average I'd say. This year was a down year for him and if we can resign him for under 3 mil I say do it. Cumby needs to go regardless. I don't think he does anything good at all. The TE class seems deep this year I'd be happy with the UDFA of the group over what we have. Jefferson, Cotton, Ryan Griffin, Luke Willson(if only for the name), Levine Toilolo, Justice Cunningham, Lucas Reed, and pretty much the whole group is at least worth a look in camp.

Veteran
    This is a classic example of jets fans not knowing how good they have it until its gone.

Keller is not great but he is far from bad and other then this year very healthy. He does tend to disapear at times but he is still a good weapon.

For the right price he should be brought back. He is far from a bust.

Jets Insider VIP
    Keller is done here. Izdik is building his own team. Keller is not good enough to be included in these plans.
    '

We'll ride with the Aussie, Rueland, and Baker.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Keller just strengthens my belief that no TE is worth a 1st rounder. He is good better then average I'd say. This year was a down year for him and if we can resign him for under 3 mil I say do it. Cumby needs to go regardless. I don't think he does anything good at all. The TE class seems deep this year I'd be happy with the UDFA of the group over what we have. Jefferson, Cotton, Ryan Griffin, Luke Willson(if only for the name), Levine Toilolo, Justice Cunningham, Lucas Reed, and pretty much the whole group is at least worth a look in camp.
    I dont get the hate for cumberland. Guy was undrafted I believe and very raw coming out. I definitely think he flashed at times this year. The entire offense was bad so its tough to judge anyone really based on performance. Also you have to remember he missed basically all last year with a ruputed achillies. Not an easy one to come back from. Many thought it might be a career ender. He deserves one for year to develope at a dirt cheap price

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Tony G was drafted in 1997. Since then here is a list of the TEs drafted in the 1st round.

Bubba Franks
    Becht
    Todd Heap
    Jeremy Shockey
    Daniel Graham
    Jerramy Stevens
    Dallas Clark
    Kellen Winslow
    Benjamin Watson
    Heath Miller
    Vernon Davis
    Marcedes Lewis
    Greg Olsen
    Keller
    Brandon Pettigrew
    Jermaine Gresham

Anyone here you'd take with a first rounder?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rah_Rah_19 View Post
    Tony G was drafted in 1997. Since then here is a list of the TEs drafted in the 1st round.

Bubba Franks
    Becht
    Todd Heap
    Jeremy Shockey
    Daniel Graham
    Jerramy Stevens
    Dallas Clark
    Kellen Winslow
    Benjamin Watson
    Heath Miller
    Vernon Davis
    Marcedes Lewis
    Greg Olsen
    Keller
    Brandon Pettigrew
    Jermaine Gresham

Anyone here you'd take with a first rounder?
    I'd still take Vernon Davis in the 1st. Maybe not as high as he went. I'd also be fine with Heath Miller going somewhere in the 1st. That's it!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    I'd still take Vernon Davis in the 1st. Maybe not as high as he went. I'd also be fine with Heath Miller going somewhere in the 1st. That's it!
    are you kidding me? Todd Heap, Bubba Franks, Dallas Clark, even Shockey would be worth it. Now Im not saying high 1st but definitely 1st round.

Do you have now memory of these guys careers?

Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    are you kidding me? Todd Heap, Bubba Franks, Dallas Clark, even Shockey would be worth it. Now Im not saying high 1st but definitely 1st round.

Do you have now memory of these guys careers?
    Franks was not much of a receiving threat outside of the red zone. Dallas Clark was a terrible blocker. Shockey was a headcase and his drinking ruined his career. Heap I agree was good. Not top 10, but a solid 1st rounder.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rah_Rah_19 View Post
    Franks was not much of a receiving threat outside of the red zone. Dallas Clark was a terrible blocker. Shockey was a headcase and his drinking ruined his career. Heap I agree was good. Not top 10, but a solid 1st rounder.
    Franks was a better receiver then you are giving him credit for. Clark didnt need to block because it wasnt his role. In that offense he had 1st round value.

Yes Shockey was a headcase but based on talent and ability as well has his early production you cant say he wasnt worth a 1st round pick. Hindsight is always 20/20

Keller is a JAG. If he will play for a very cap friendly number keep him otherwise give him $20 for cab fare.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Dime a dozen?

Tony Gonzalez and David LaFleur - yes on Gonzo but he was a very rare talent. Hell no on LaFleur. That was a strong TE draft don't know what the Bears where thinking.

Bubba Franks and Becht No but my memory fails me looking at this draft other then Erron Kinney it must have been weak

Todd Heap - No but that was not a good TE draft. Heap was good but not 1st round good. I actually liked Alge Crumpler more

Jeremy Shockey, Daniel Graham, and Jerramy Stevens - No not in that class and I liked Shockey. There was some good TEs in that draft teams really reached that year for TEs. The Giants replaced Shockey easy when he left.

Dallas Clark or Ben Joppru - Jason Witten - Donald Lee - Vishante Shiancoe L.J. Smith No not in that class. Without Manning Clark wouldn't have been what he was

Kellen Winslow and Benjamin Watson Maybe for Winslow but not that high there where good options that went late there

Heath Miller and Matt Jones No not in that class it was weak though

Vernon Davis and Marcedes Lewis Davis maybe but again not as high as he went. This was a draft you could hold off at TE on. There was almost no drop off from Lewis and the next 5-6 guys

Greg Olsen No Olsen was nothing special that was not a bad TE draft either

Keller OR Fred Davis - Martellus Bennett - Jermichael Finley - Jacob Tamme - Brandon Pettigrew - Jared Cook - John Carlson - Kellen Davis - Brandon Myers - Zach Miller No not in that class it was super deep and not real top end heavy. Wasn't a fan of Keller but he was the best we ever drafted

Jermaine Gresham OR Rob Gronkowski - Ed Dickson - Jimmy Graham -Aaron Hernandez - Pitta No not in that class either. The top 5 where all very good prospects and most of them where going to be there in the 2nd. Gresham was not worth a 1st

Let him go and try to get Delaney Walker. He can catch and block, play ST, TE and FB.