Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NJ Mayors To Withhold Emergency Services For 2014 Super Bowl

oh boo hoo NYC is on the hook for billions in overtime for all the national and international events in the city - starting with the UN, every time the President visits, everything in between, and ending with municipal cops having to fight international terrorists. Cry me a river.

and when you make a 'threat' there is some kind of condition, like the word 'if' followed by --- the demand. Did they say they'll boycott unless - something - or, we may just boycott? If we feel like it?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    oh boo hoo NYC is on the hook for billions in overtime for all the national and international events in the city - starting with the UN, every time the President visits, everything in between, and ending with municipal cops having to fight international terrorists. Cry me a river.

and when you make a 'threat' there is some kind of condition, like the word 'if' followed by --- the demand. Did they say they'll boycott unless - something - or, we may just boycott? If we feel like it?
    The IF is lower bowl seats with club access.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

The Game is in NJ not NYC.

The Mayors are following their Governors lead with:
    Bluster first
    Negotiate second.

This tactic has worked incredibly well for Governor Christie so… why not?

PS I think they are justified. They just want a little cash for their time and the ware and tare on their equipment.

Don't blame the mayors, they got screwed on this. Quasi public authority owns the stadium so the municipality can't tax it.

Up here the two towns Wretham and Foxboro supply the police but Kraft has to pay them. The stateys on RT1 get paid from the parking revenue as the state get 1/2 of the lot revenues. Gillette Stadium and Patriot place pay direct municipal taxes. If the same arrangement was in NJ. the mayors would not be complaining.

it is the corrupt state government not the municipality at fault.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    PS I think they are justified. They just want a little cash for their time and the ware and tare on their equipment.
    At face value...yes. That was my gut as a NYer. But it seems to me, many of the posters here are from Jersey and are very cynical about the corruption angle, so I defer to their judgement. Could be blackmail, pure and simple.

-

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Is this a common occurrence in the cities that have previously hosted Super Bowls? I mean, did the local governments of New Orleans, Miami, etc. partake in similar grandstanding or withhold services?

The Game is in NJ not NYC.

The Mayors are following their Governors lead with:
    Bluster first
    Negotiate second.

This tactic has worked incredibly well for Governor Christie so… why not?

I know the game is in NJ not NY, I'm using NYC as an example of a municipality that incurs billions in police overtime for national and international events that have nothing per se to do with the city but NY'ers have to foot the bill. They never get reimbursed. The diplomats owe millions in parking tickets and get off scot free because of diplomatic immunity, and the NYPD should NOT be fighting terrorism! That is a national responsibility but NY'ers get to pay for it and the gov't keeps lowering the Homeland Security grant. One stinkin' week (if that?) for multiple police departments to cover - is miniscule by comparison. Suck it up!

All League
    I know the game is in NJ not NY, I'm using NYC as an example of a municipality that incurs billions in police overtime for national and international events that have nothing per se to do with the city but NY'ers have to foot the bill. They never get reimbursed. The diplomats owe millions in parking tickets and get off scot free because of diplomatic immunity, and the NYPD should NOT be fighting terrorism! That is a national responsibility but NY'ers get to pay for it and the gov't keeps lowering the Homeland Security grant. One stinkin' week (if that?) for multiple police departments to cover - is miniscule by comparison. Suck it up!
    Yeah...except we aren't talking about residents getting reimbursed, we are talking about municipalities being able to afford the services required to host a Super Bowl. If you want to compare Rutherford to all of the NYC events you would have to divide the cost of services across the amount of taxpayers.

Population of East Rutherford - about 9,000
    Population of New York City - 8,200,000

Seems like a great comparison

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    The Super Bowl (and almost all sports) have become for the elitist. No longer can the real fans who have families attend games without it being a "once in a lifetime" event or have to take out a second mortgage to pay it off.

The Super Bowl in NY/NJ is not for NYers. Its for the Woody Johnsons and Mayor Bloombergs of the world. I hope it fails miserably.

Many years ago, I had the opportunity to go to the very first XFL game. A friend offered me a ticket to sit in the second row on the 50 yard-line. How could I pass up this opportunity? It was mid February, about 30 degrees and bright sunshine. We lasted until halftime and it wasnt even a question about leaving. Its one thing to go to an outdoor event in November or December where the cold has not set in yet. But a February event outside at night when winter has set in for a few weeks? Good luck freezing your a$$es off.
    How is this Super Bowl any different than others?

Do you want all superbowls to fail miserably?

The Super Bowl is like all high end stuff and events. Do u get mad when u see people with expensive homes or handbags? Just a fact of life.

All League
    NYC is NYC.

It has 30,000+ police officers

East Rutherford has 30 police ... maybe

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    At face value...yes. That was my gut as a NYer. But it seems to me, many of the posters here are from Jersey and are very cynical about the corruption angle, so I defer to their judgement. Could be blackmail, pure and simple.

-
    In a sweeping generalization of NJ citizens… Jerzy folk want to live in little itty bitty towns where the school principal knows every Parent and every students by first name. But then they wanna b!tch because there taxes are high.
    Ya can’t have your pizza and eat it too

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Is this a common occurrence in the cities that have previously hosted Super Bowls? I mean, did the local governments of New Orleans, Miami, etc. partake in similar grandstanding or withhold services?
    I believe New Orleans owns the Super Dome

I know the Giants and Jets own Met life Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by JetFreak89 View Post
    Yeah...except we aren't talking about residents getting reimbursed, we are talking about municipalities being able to afford the services required to host a Super Bowl. If you want to compare Rutherford to all of the NYC events you would have to divide the cost of services across the amount of taxpayers.

Population of East Rutherford - about 9,000
    Population of New York City - 8,200,000

Seems like a great comparison
    and what is the cost of providing one day of overtime (or a few days at most) by Rutherford vs thousands of hours and billions $$$$$$$$ of dollars per year, I'd bet the second one comes out higher. And it's not just E. Rutherford it's at least 3 municipalities. If they didn't want to do it they should have spoken up before the agreement was made. It is their responsibility. They can't pick and choose which assignments they want. Let somebody die in an emergency due to their negligence and get sued and see how much more that will cost.

and it's not just E. Rutherford, the press release names Carlstadt and Secaucus which adds about 22,000 more people, and it sounded like there were 5 towns altogether.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 02-11-2013 at 01:07 AM.

I believe New Orleans owns the Super Dome

I know the Giants and Jets own Met life Stadium.
    If they own it then the town has the right to tax it, My understanding is that they lease it from the stadium authority so that they don't have to pay taxes on it. My understanding is that the town gets a flat rate of 3 mill a year. Which is no way enough to provide services for 40 events a year.

EAST RUTHERFORD — Authorities and legislators want to crack down on prostitution and sex trafficking ahead of the Super Bowl at MetLife Stadium, the Record reported.

New Jersey Attorney General Jeffrey Chiesa's office has communicated with Louisiana and Indiana officials to find out how they addressed trafficking.

Bergen County Prosecutor John Molinelli said his office would likely sweep for human trafficking before the Super Bowl. And Assemblywoman Valerie Vainieri Huttle (D-Englewood) introduced a bill to impose a $25,000 fine for anyone convicted of a crime linked to trafficking.

A multi-agency task force arrested 85 people on charges of human trafficking, prostitution, pandering, narcotics and weapons charges ahead of the Super Bowl in New Orleans, the Times-Picayune reported. Police rescued five women allegedly brought to New Orleans to work as prostitues against their will.

Jets Insider VIP
    How many football games have been played in NY in the last 20 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    How many football games have been played in NY in the last 20 years?
    It's not about football games it's about overtime police services:

Analogy (from Greek ἀναλογία, analogia, "proportion"[1][2]) is a cognitive process of transferring information or meaning from a particular subject (the analogue or source) to another particular subject (the target), and a linguistic expression corresponding to such a process. In a narrower sense, analogy is an inference or an argument from one particular to another particular, as opposed to deduction, induction, and abduction, where at least one of the premises or the conclusion is general. The word analogy can also refer to the relation between the source and the target themselves, which is often, though not necessarily, a similarity, as in the biological notion of analogy.

Hall Of Fame
    To compare the "municipality" of NYC to East Rutherford is comical. NYC is second largest city economy in the WORLD. Their resources are more than some states. That is a bad analogy.

The state of NJ is getting much of the financial windfall from the Super Bowl, therefore the state will provide the added services needed.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    To compare the "municipality" of NYC to East Rutherford is comical. NYC is second largest city economy in the WORLD. Their resources are more than some states. That is a bad analogy.

The state of NJ is getting much of the financial windfall from the Super Bowl, therefore the state will provide the added services needed.
    And where is the state going to get the resources from? The state will lean on the local municipalities, which brings it back to the problem at hand. The locals are not getting the $.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    And where is the state going to get the resources from? The state will lean on the local municipalities, which brings it back to the problem at hand. The locals are not getting the $.
    No they wont, the state police will provide added support for traffic and crowd control, Homeland Security does a lot for every Super Bowl in terms of securing the area. How much can they really lean on the local municipalities? The state has PLENTY of resources for this event.