Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Building the Trenches!

  1. #1
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Upstate, NY
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Building the Trenches!

    Games are won in the trenches and during the SB it was clear that the Ravens had the superior offensive line. The past two years, the Jets have dedicated two first round picks to our D-line in Wilkerson and Coples, add in K. Ellis and you have good young talent at the position. If we look at our offensive line we need to upgrade at that spot with young dominating talent. The draft has some pretty good talent, at DT I don't think Star will be there at 9 and who knows about Chance getting past Cleveland.
    PFT.com had a great article on how the Steelers have been draft offensive lineman in the first two rounds of the last two drafts in speculation of moving on from their current O-line. I would like the Jets to build in a similar fasion.
    Good Read:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-line-shakeup/

  2. #2
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Screw that.

    Super Bowls are won by teams with quarterbacks who have playmaking WR's, TE's, and receiving running backs who can drive the score up to 40+ points each week.

    Yeah, you need fatties up front for protection, I get that. You need an RB who can get 4 tough yards in a pinch. But ultimately what separates the Champs from the chumps is a QB with confidence because he has a set of receivers that can make impossible catches in very big spots.

    You start building your team from the QB and WR's out, not from the fatties in.

    SAR I

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,545
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been saying we'd be lucky to get that kid at #9. And the more people watch his film the more likely it is that he is off the board when we're picking. His value is gonna go up again after the combine and they see the type of talent he is. He dominates.

    If he's off the board I'd highly suggest finding a trade partner and moving back and possibly picking up an additional 2nd round pick for this draft.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,211
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYDreamer View Post
    Games are won in the trenches and during the SB it was clear that the Ravens had the superior offensive line. The past two years, the Jets have dedicated two first round picks to our D-line in Wilkerson and Coples, add in K. Ellis and you have good young talent at the position. If we look at our offensive line we need to upgrade at that spot with young dominating talent. The draft has some pretty good talent, at DT I don't think Star will be there at 9 and who knows about Chance getting past Cleveland.
    PFT.com had a great article on how the Steelers have been draft offensive lineman in the first two rounds of the last two drafts in speculation of moving on from their current O-line. I would like the Jets to build in a similar fasion.
    Good Read:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-line-shakeup/
    NO the 49ers oline was doing some serious damage against the Ravens dline. The 49ers OC biggest mistake in that game with no NGata they didn't try to run that football inside the five.(four straight passes)

    They were blowing them off the line of scrimmage and they didn't have faith in that oline. ( a case of OC out thinking himself) or they could have possible be the champs right now.


    The game is won in the trenches , you can have the greatest skill players and it wouldn't matter if that oline couldn't open holes for that rb or pass protect for the Qb.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    If he's off the board I'd highly suggest finding a trade partner and moving back and possibly picking up an additional 2nd round pick for this draft.
    With as weak as the draft is this year, what team drafting below the Jets would even consider trading up for the 9th pick?

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    My 1st round pick at 9 in the april draft is going to depend mostly on what i can get in a trade for Revis.Since there's IMHO no QB worthy of picking at 9, i have to llok at LT, DT, and OLber.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    With as weak as the draft is this year, what team drafting below the Jets would even consider trading up for the 9th pick?
    Who knows? After the combine and pro days, some players are going to get hyped up big time. It happens every year.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Super Bowls are won by teams with quarterbacks
    I agree. Unfortunately we don't have one.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,918
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, more offensive and defensive lineman. That will help us.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    Who knows? After the combine and pro days, some players are going to get hyped up big time. It happens every year.
    That happens every year.

    But the 9th pick this year will not yield a game-changing playmaker.

    However, it will get a very good OLineman or DLineman.

    And there is nothing wrong with that.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    That happens every year.

    But the 9th pick this year will not yield a game-changing playmaker.

    However, it will get a very good OLineman or DLineman.

    And there is nothing wrong with that.
    I agree. This draft is pretty weak at the skill positions. Reaching for one at 9 is a waste if you can draft an elite O-Lineman.

    If the Jets can move down and get an extra 2nd or third, I'd be fine with that. Otherwise, stay where you are and draft the best player available.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,545
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    With as weak as the draft is this year, what team drafting below the Jets would even consider trading up for the 9th pick?
    If there's a prized OLB/DE/DT talent on the board there then I could easily see a team making a deal to move up from the 20s. Or if someone has Geno Smith as their guy I could definitely see someone moving up the draft for him.

    We'll see. I'm all for BPA regardless of position. I'd prefer offensive talent but I really have my mind set of 2 guys... if Warmack is gone by our 1st and Ball by our 2nd then I'm open for whatever the Jets pick.

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,699
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Screw that.

    Super Bowls are won by teams with quarterbacks who have playmaking WR's, TE's, and receiving running backs who can drive the score up to 40+ points each week.

    Yeah, you need fatties up front for protection, I get that. You need an RB who can get 4 tough yards in a pinch. But ultimately what separates the Champs from the chumps is a QB with confidence because he has a set of receivers that can make impossible catches in very big spots.

    You start building your team from the QB and WR's out, not from the fatties in.

    SAR I
    Not true.

    The game IS won in the trenches.. You can have the greatest QB in the world, with the best RBs and WRs, TEs, but if HE CANT DROP BACK TO PASS IT, HE'LL GET KILLED.

    You're right when you say you need a QB with confidence-- SOMETHING THE JETS CLEARLY DON'T HAVE..

    Let me ask you: Did Mark Sanchez look more confident in his first two years, or his last two??? Follow up question: Which year did they have 3 probowlers on the o-line?

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Screw that.

    Super Bowls are won by teams with quarterbacks who have playmaking WR's, TE's, and receiving running backs who can drive the score up to 40+ points each week.

    Yeah, you need fatties up front for protection, I get that. You need an RB who can get 4 tough yards in a pinch. But ultimately what separates the Champs from the chumps is a QB with confidence because he has a set of receivers that can make impossible catches in very big spots.

    You start building your team from the QB and WR's out, not from the fatties in.

    SAR I
    Wrong. Retooling the offensive line was the game changing difference maker that enabled the Ravens to embark on their playoff run and made Flacco suddenly an 'elite' QB.

    Not to mention, had Wayne Hunter not singlehandedly provided unfettered access to Sanchez, he might not be the pile of scrambled eggs under center he is today. And probably damaged his shoulder to boot.

    But the best move came two weeks ago when Ravens coach John Harbaugh inserted Bryant McKinnie at left offensive tackle, moved Michael Oher to right tackle and rookie Kelechi Osemele to left guard.

    That's when the Ravens became championship caliber.

    There are always new schemes and philosophies in football, but there is one constant: If your front five can beat the other team's defensive front seven, you win games.

    On Sunday night, the Ravens' starting group of McKinnie, Oher, guard Marshal Yanda, Osemele and center Matt Birk were outstanding.

    The Ravens had 356 yards of total offense and held a three-minute advantage in time of possession. They were hurt by poor field position in the first half, but once they opened it up in the second they were nearly unstoppable.

    Flacco was 11 of 18 in the third quarter. He finished the game with 240 yards and three touchdown passes. Receiver Anquan Boldin and tight end Dennis Pitta kept coming up with clutch catches as the Ravens took control of the tempo and the game.

    "We just executed better," Birk said. "In the first half we had a hard time on offense sustaining anything and getting our rhythm, other than the one drive. We changed thinks up a little bit in the second half. We got a little up-temp and got some rhythm and guys started making plays. We just tried to block guys and your our playmakers a chance to make plays."

    But they wouldn't have been productive without this offensive line. For most of the night, Flacco had time to eat a doughnut, drink a cup of coffee and then go through his progressions.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 02-11-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us