Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are the era of long big contracts coming to an end ?

Are the era of long big contracts coming to an end ?

It's not surprising that Flaco wants to sign a $100 million contract and that Revis wants big bucks to stay with the Jets but the time is coming, I believe, when there will be more performance incentives than dollars. If anyone player becomes a superstar all pro with a team and signs for huge money than there is no doubt that the rest of the teams talent is going to suffer. Today to win you need talented people on both sides of the line but everyone is signed on what they have done in the past not on what they could do now with the current team and schemes.

I believe that the days of huge contracts are going to come to an end but for a select few. The cap just makes it almost impossible to spread talent on the field as the Ravens are about to find out.

Hall Of Fame
    For QBs I think the money will always be there. It also depends on what your definition of a "big contract" is. For me, a big NFL contract is like $75MM and up. Also have to realize that not all the money is guaranteed. So a guy could sign a contract like McNabb did with the Redskins for over $70MM but it could all be fluff depending on the guaranteed money and the structure.

But for defensive players I think teams are going to be wary of making the mega deals. They rarely pay off. I think Haynesworth is the only defensive player to get a $100MM contract and that was a disaster. Then there is Marios Williams' contract. The Nate Clements contract before that.

We have seen WRs get big contracts the past few years and both Fitz and Megatron have performed well. Fitz had a rough year this year but that was b.c of Arizona's QB situation. And since WRs are important to QBs I think there will always be big money to be made for them. Same for LT.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 02-10-2013 at 03:21 PM.

The era of good NFL football is going away along with it will be people willing to spend huge bucks on the NFL. Contracts will come down and teams will go away.

No. If anything, you'll see more and more big long contracts in the years to come, especially once the cap starts going back up. For now, because the cap is flat, player salaries will be pretty flat as well.

Veteran
    The union should look to change the current cap whereby certain incentive bonus payouts (MVP, offense and defense) do not count against the cap. That way truly great players can still get paid without killing a teams cap
    Last edited by bcess; 02-10-2013 at 04:13 PM.

I think that is the whole point of teams switching to a spread option. It is very hard on guys and after 4 5 years your not talking a 20 mil QB. More excitement for the fans and less money the team spends. I do see the number of years going down but year the amount per year may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    The era of good NFL football is going away along with it will be people willing to spend huge bucks on the NFL. Contracts will come down and teams will go away.
    I seriously believe that the NFL will fall to the 3rd most watched sport within the next 10 years behind the NBA and Baseball. Hockey may even supplant t for those looking for a contact sport to follow.

I find it alarming that the scores are more often than not starting to resemble bad basketball games.

I also find it sad that a once balanced game has turned into an offensive race waiting to see which team makes the first mistake rather than an actual physical ad mental battle.

A game that was at one time a testament to being a man, has been stripped of its testosterone and injected with all the skill of a good darts competition. Being accurate with the ball in a relatively uncontested environment.

The NFL had to change because of all the safety concerns, but the rules needed to change on both sides of the ball. Can't hit a guy until he has already caught the all ?? Ok ... Then get rid of the 5 yard chuck rule. Can't hit the QB violently at all ?? Allow more physicality by the DBs.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 02-10-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I seriously believe that the NFL will fall to the 3rd most watched sport within the next 10 years behind the NBA and Baseball. Hockey may even supplant t for those looking for a contact sport to follow.

I find it alarming that the scores are more often than not starting to resemble bad basketball games.

I also find it sad that a once balanced game has turned into an offensive race waiting to see which team makes the first mistake rather than an actual physical ad mental battle.

A game that was at one time a testament to being a man, has been stripped of its testosterone and injected with all the skill of a good darts competition. Being accurate with the ball in a relatively uncontested environment.

The NFL had to change because of all the safety concerns, but the rules needed to change on both sides of the ball. Can't hit a guy until he has already caught the all ?? Ok ... Then get rid of the 5 yard chuck rule. Can't hit the QB violently at all ?? Allow more physicality by the DBs.
    Agree at the least they need to bring back bump and run coverage and change the pi rule to 15 yards like college

Banned
    Seriously? Do you know what the NFL ratings are versus the NBA and MLB?

Nobody watches baseball and basketball anymore, boring sports with no future.

And yea, I'm sure hockey will will surpass the NFL.

Hockey isn't boring, though. It just doesn't seem to catch on with the mainstream for some reason.

Anyway, the NFL is and will always be (in our lifetime, at least) top dog. Baseball is ok, but it's dying quicker than Boxing. NBA is good, but it's infested with swag culture. **** that ****.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Hockey isn't boring, though. It just doesn't seem to catch on with the mainstream for some reason.

Anyway, the NFL is and will always be (in our lifetime, at least) top dog. Baseball is ok, but it's dying quicker than Boxing. NBA is good, but it's infested with swag culture. **** that ****.
    Compare the ratings of the last World Series and NBA finals, to the opening day regular season of the NFL.

Baseball, basketball, hockey, NASCAR (which isn't even a friggn' sport) will never match the NFL in popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Compare the ratings of the last World Series and NBA finals, to the opening day regular season of the NFL.

Baseball, basketball, hockey, NASCAR (which isn't even a friggn' sport) will never match the NFL in popularity.
    Never say never ... Violence grew the NFL ... And the changes to that culture have been swift and dramatic.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 02-10-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Sports are dying.

Everything will be virtual soon.

Never say never ... Violence grew the NFL ... And the changes to that culture have been swift and dramatic.
    It's still football and it's still violent. People will continue to watch for both reasons.

Safeties can't deliver big hits right when the receiver comes down with the ball ? They'll adjust and figure out where the guy will be two steps later and they'll lay massive hits at that spot instead. RBs will still run through the line and get hammered by LBs and Safeties.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    It's still football and it's still violent. People will continue to watch for both reasons.

Safeties can't deliver big hits right when the receiver comes down with the ball ? They'll adjust and figure out where the guy will be two steps later and they'll lay massive hits at that spot instead. RBs will still run through the line and get hammered by LBs and Safeties.
    Demo ... I hope you are right ... but when I hear the commissioners office coming out with terms like ...

'unnecessary viscous hits' ... it worry s me. There is a LOT open for interpretation.

The office agreed that the Ridley hit this year in the playoffs was legal ... but that they may need to take a closer look at that type of situation.

NFL is completely entrenched in our culture, nothing's going to happen to their market share but up... As less small corporations are able to grow, larger are able to increase their share, and there's nothing happening in sporting that will change that over the course of the next 10 years. Look at the values of teams now in NFL and Soccer, going up..

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    The puck is too small for TV viewers. The contest structure is too unique and weird. Three periods with no actual halftime, is offputting. Mostly defensive game with very low scoring. Americans like scoring (thus soccers lack of appeal). Also, their approach to team standings. Americans like their rankings a bit more clear cut (another failing of soccer).

The NFL will fail in the next 30 to 40 years, from financial issues more than anything else. The sport itself will suffer from parents refusing to allow their their kids to participate. That will eventually trickle down into a negative for the college game (a whole other issue).

On a league level, lawsuits such as the one the Seau family and the retired players group are filing, are only the beginning. Some of these suits are going to go against the NFL. The retroactive payouts are going to be very damaging. Unless the economy picks up the networks aren't going to be able to keep agreeing to record breaking deals. Players will never stop wanting huge contracts causing the ticket prices to get further out of control than they already are. Technology will continue to improve, increasing the consensus opinion that the "best seat in the house" is in my living room.

All these factors don't paint a pretty picture for the leagues future.
    Last edited by DanNamath; 02-10-2013 at 11:33 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Seriously? Do you know what the NFL ratings are versus the NBA and MLB?

Nobody watches baseball and basketball anymore, boring sports with no future.

And yea, I'm sure hockey will will surpass the NFL.
    Already has in half of North America..

A televised jets practice would get better ratings than an average MLB game. Who the F are you kidding?

I do agree with you that the league is going to sh*t with all the penalties and crap that Goodell has implemented to cater to the Fantasy Football world while disguising it as "player safety."