Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 80

Thread: The Jets should target Percy Harvin

  1. #1

    The Jets should target Percy Harvin

    If I was running an NFL team and this guy was available through trade. I am going right after him. Percy Harvin is one of the most dangerous game breaking receivers in the entire league. He's in a class by himself. The reports are that The Minnesota Vikings are going to unload him and that the asking price is supposedly a 2nd round pick.

    This relates to the Jets but any team with a brain would go after Harvin and he's worth a first round pick. I know that the Jets tried to trade up for him a few years back.

    The Jets lack play makers and game breakers and that's exactly what Percy Harvin is. The Jets haven't had a player like him in ages. I understand that the Jets have a supposed cap problem but I'd deal for him and make it work. Harvin is dangerous with the ball is in hands and he's a great weapon for any offense and any quarterback(see Christian Ponder). This is a guy to take a risk on and break the bank for.

    It's hard for me to believe that he'd only be available for a 2nd round pick. That's a steal and teams should be lining up to get him.

  2. #2
    Maybe if the Vikings throw in a **** ton of Excedrin into the deal, sure.

  3. #3
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    VANDERBILT UNIVERSITY
    Posts
    493
    I disagree. Harvin is a great example, in my opinion, of a guy you can't win with because he is so good that you can build an offense around what he can do, but unfortunately he is so often injured that once you have built this offense, he leaves you hanging once he is out with the inevitable injury. Injury-prone players are like an albatross around the neck of a team. You pay a good deal for them, you get little or nothing in return, and worse still, you cling to this idea that they will at some point return to a full season of health and perform at potential, which is far from given. This inhibits progress.

    Harvin is a great player but we cannot be giving up draft picks and in my opinion he is not worth a 2, especially from our perspective as a team in a process of rebuilding the roster.

  4. #4
    i would give a 2 for him in a heartbeat-he is a game breaker and jets have NONE on offense-a second rounder is nothing for him -jets will NOT get a player as skilled as him with their second round pick-he will end up with pats colts or skins

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Harvin would be a huge playmaker for the Jets....he does get injured a lot but for a 2d rder its worth the risk as hes still young. He would instantly be a big time upgrade and someone a DC would have to gameplan for....do it.

  7. #7
    Theres some excellent issues in play here.

    First off, a deal for Harvin as mentioned (for a draft pick) is exactly what led to us to have few draft picks in the past couple years and have some very expensive veteran players.

    You can say "there is no one of harvins skill level in the 2nd round" and you would be 100% correct, but that isnt the way the NFL works. If you trade for Harvin you are also trading for the right to PAY him a big contract. What would a 2nd round pick in the 2013 draft be worth if they made $8 million a year instead of $1.5? Trading a pick for harvin, for a team in the jets situation is not smart team management.

    Now the better question would be what about looking to the vikings for a deal for Revis and have harvin included? Now that "contract risk" is taken out of the equation as you are trading on 2014 UFA for another. The Vikings have $9 million attached to antione winfield that comes off the books after 2013, so they could in essence use that money for Revis in 2014 and "lessen the contract blow".

    Or, even better for the jets, what about sending Cro straight up for marvin? Again we lose the contract risk as Cro comes off the books, we keep our draft picks, and since we are also in a similar position as the vikings (at WR not CB) holmes will come off the books for 2014 and we can use that money to pay harvin and then be able to hoepfuly still sign revis.

    The vikings are a very interesting trade partner, and they can say what they want, but where theres smoke theres fire and harvin and the coach (who they like a lot) do not get along. However trading a draft pick for a 1 year rental who we then have to pay big money to is definitely not the way to go.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Maybe if the Vikings throw in a **** ton of Excedrin into the deal, sure.
    You have become my favorite poster on here.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Maybe if the Vikings throw in a **** ton of Excedrin into the deal, sure.
    Classic.

    Well played.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,875
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Theres some excellent issues in play here.

    First off, a deal for Harvin as mentioned (for a draft pick) is exactly what led to us to have few draft picks in the past couple years and have some very expensive veteran players.

    You can say "there is no one of harvins skill level in the 2nd round" and you would be 100% correct, but that isnt the way the NFL works. If you trade for Harvin you are also trading for the right to PAY him a big contract. What would a 2nd round pick in the 2013 draft be worth if they made $8 million a year instead of $1.5? Trading a pick for harvin, for a team in the jets situation is not smart team management.

    Now the better question would be what about looking to the vikings for a deal for Revis and have harvin included? Now that "contract risk" is taken out of the equation as you are trading on 2014 UFA for another. The Vikings have $9 million attached to antione winfield that comes off the books after 2013, so they could in essence use that money for Revis in 2014 and "lessen the contract blow".

    Or, even better for the jets, what about sending Cro straight up for marvin? Again we lose the contract risk as Cro comes off the books, we keep our draft picks, and since we are also in a similar position as the vikings (at WR not CB) holmes will come off the books for 2014 and we can use that money to pay harvin and then be able to hoepfuly still sign revis.

    The vikings are a very interesting trade partner, and they can say what they want, but where theres smoke theres fire and harvin and the coach (who they like a lot) do not get along. However trading a draft pick for a 1 year rental who we then have to pay big money to is definitely not the way to go.
    This makes FAR too much sense.....this will pop a few brains here.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Apalachin
    Posts
    1,257
    I believe his migraine problem has been taken care of. If that's the case, he shouldn't be considered as injury prone as some of you guys are making him out to be.
    This last season was the first one where he had to miss significant time, and there were even reports suggesting it was more because of his attitude and not the severity of the injury.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Theres some excellent issues in play here.

    First off, a deal for Harvin as mentioned (for a draft pick) is exactly what led to us to have few draft picks in the past couple years and have some very expensive veteran players.

    You can say "there is no one of harvins skill level in the 2nd round" and you would be 100% correct, but that isnt the way the NFL works. If you trade for Harvin you are also trading for the right to PAY him a big contract. What would a 2nd round pick in the 2013 draft be worth if they made $8 million a year instead of $1.5? Trading a pick for harvin, for a team in the jets situation is not smart team management.

    Now the better question would be what about looking to the vikings for a deal for Revis and have harvin included? Now that "contract risk" is taken out of the equation as you are trading on 2014 UFA for another. The Vikings have $9 million attached to antione winfield that comes off the books after 2013, so they could in essence use that money for Revis in 2014 and "lessen the contract blow".

    Or, even better for the jets, what about sending Cro straight up for marvin? Again we lose the contract risk as Cro comes off the books, we keep our draft picks, and since we are also in a similar position as the vikings (at WR not CB) holmes will come off the books for 2014 and we can use that money to pay harvin and then be able to hoepfuly still sign revis.

    The vikings are a very interesting trade partner, and they can say what they want, but where theres smoke theres fire and harvin and the coach (who they like a lot) do not get along. However trading a draft pick for a 1 year rental who we then have to pay big money to is definitely not the way to go.
    Good post, agree with everything here, but a team like the Jets would not be in play to trade a first round pick for a player like Harvin, I'd be confident they either know, or would know the issue with Harvin, and would be pretty sure this would be leveraged during any negotiation for the player.

    I'd be very much for a play at Harvin, even trading a player, Cro, Kyle Wilson? in any deal...

  13. #13
    We cannot trade our 2nd for him this year. Its too high. Plus I would be very happy starting the year with Holmes, Braylon, Hill and Kerly at WR (with possibly Jordan White developing as an option as well). That group would be 10 times better than the crap we had for most of the year (Post Holmes injury and pre-braylon).

    I rather build this team through the draft and make some smaller moves to plug the holes left by the likes of Bart Scott/Pace/Thomas/Keller etc..

    Hopefully, some of the young guys (demario/Allen/Bush/Billal/White/Coples) take the next step and we hit on a couple of draft picks. If that happens we could be a playoff team (assuming we can find a way to get average QB play--- a big question mark) and if things don't work out at QB/developing kids we didn't mortgage the future in the process and get another high draft pick to build with next year.

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,132
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    We cannot trade our 2nd for him this year. Its too high. Plus I would be very happy starting the year with Holmes, Braylon, Hill and Kerly at WR (with possibly Jordan White developing as an option as well). That group would be 10 times better than the crap we had for most of the year (Post Holmes injury and pre-braylon).

    I rather build this team through the draft and make some smaller moves to plug the holes left by the likes of Bart Scott/Pace/Thomas/Keller etc..

    Hopefully, some of the young guys (demario/Allen/Bush/Billal/White/Coples) take the next step and we hit on a couple of draft picks. If that happens we could be a playoff team (assuming we can find a way to get average QB play--- a big question mark) and if things don't work out at QB/developing kids we didn't mortgage the future in the process and get another high draft pick to build with next year.
    +1 But what if they trade Revis You would need a name change No??

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,860
    Jets have enough of their own headaches.

  16. #16
    if the jets acquired a guy like harvin i think he might be one of a short list of players who might be able to help sanchez resurrect his career.

    wrs--- harvin holmes edwards kerley hill or add holmes as part of the trade package.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    if the jets acquired a guy like harvin i think he might be one of a short list of players who might be able to help sanchez resurrect his career.
    Just curious, how would Percy Harvin fix the following:

    1) Sanchez's ability to read a defense.

    2) Improve his decision making skills.

    3) Eliminate all his INT's and fumbles.

    4) And most importantly, improve his accuracy?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Just curious, how would Percy Harvin fix the following:

    1) Sanchez's ability to read a defense.

    2) Improve his decision making skills.

    3) Eliminate all his INT's and fumbles.

    4) And most importantly, improve his accuracy?
    5) STFU Troll, and stop hijacking every thread with your bull****!

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Just curious, how would Percy Harvin fix the following:

    1) Sanchez's ability to read a defense.

    2) Improve his decision making skills.

    3) Eliminate all his INT's and fumbles.

    4) And most importantly, improve his accuracy?
    Tom Brady is not clutch in the playoffs

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Just curious, how would Percy Harvin fix the following:

    1) Sanchez's ability to read a defense.

    2) Improve his decision making skills.

    3) Eliminate all his INT's and fumbles.

    4) And most importantly, improve his accuracy?
    first off he would improve field position on kick returns.

    he would add a dimension to the offense that sanchez has never seen here.

    when sanchez had edwards holmes and cotchery he did pretty well.

    harvin is a route runner and playmaker and battles for the ball.

    harvin a special player might bring out the best or better in sanchez.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us