Thread: Drew's Draft Rules

Rookie

Drew's Draft Rules

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/artic...aftrules.shtml

Drew's Draft Rules

By Drew Boylhart April 16, 2012

1. Workouts should confirm what you already know.

2. How a player plays the game is just as important as any stat.

3. Numbers donít lie, but they donít tell the whole story.

4. Character is as important as talent.

5. Your team will not win if they draft criminals.

6. The Combine should be for medical evaluations and for coaches to interview players on coachability ó not to evaluate talent or second guess scout evaluations.

7. Scouts evaluate talent; they do not draft, or slot, players.

8. Coaches coach talent. History proves most, if not all are not good talent evaluators.

9. GMís & coaches place the value of a player to the team; scouts cannot because they are too close to the playerís profile.

10. Many times, scouts plant ďinsideĒ details to manipulate and gather more information.

11. Donít just draft a guard. Draft centers who can play guard and guards that can play center.

12. Drafting a franchise left tackle improves three positions: LT, LG & QB. Drafting a franchise center improves, center, guards and confidence on the rest of the line as well as the offensive coordinator and QB. I love drafting offensive linemen!

13. I love drafting offensive lineman, but you should be able to find a RG standing in the check-out line at Walmart. If he doesnít play center or left guard, let the other teams draft him.

14. Pass rushing is not a specialty. It should be included in the evaluation of the DE or LB position in their totality.

15. Tackling, or lack thereof, is a priority and the first skill I look for when evaluating all defensive positions. A CB can cover like a blanket, but if he doesnít want to tackle, he is worthless.

16. Insisting your team has to draft a certain player or the whole draft is a failure is a trap. The 2-board system shows you the talent in every round. No need to panic.

17. Every round must be looked at like it is as important as the first round. The goal must be to draft talent and value in every round. No more Mr. Irrelevant. Itís an insult to the player selected.

18. Bad teams in top ten should trade down whenever possible for more picks in the ďpresentĒ draft and not for future picks. Future picks are for future GMís and coaches.

19. Never trade out of the top ten when you need a QB.

20. Sell the farm (mother, wife included) to move up in a draft if you think a QB is a franchise QB and your teams needs one. Just ask for visitation rights for mom and a conjugal visit for the wife!

21. Drafting BPA is nice to say, but donít believe it; pretty much everyone is drafting for needs.

22. If a Head Coach blows a top ten selection because of character issues, you can bet he will be fired in about three years ó sometimes sooner.

23. Donít believe the crap that this is a passing league. There are maybe five franchise QBís in the league. The rest need the threat of a good RB to be effective.

24. WRís and RBís can be found in any round in the draft, but there are exceptions to every rule.

25. LBís do not have to run 4.30 40-yd dashes. They just have to be smart enough to know how not to get beat by an opponent who can run a 4.30 forty

I think you pretty much covered it. Think #6...the combine, best point. Don't draft a football player by what they do at a glorified track meet.

Good read. Thanks for posting.

Rookie
    I pray that Idzig & co. subscribe to #'s 11, 12, 13, & 14 in particular.

Rex Ryan should read rule 8. I don't think the new Gm going to let him have one pick.

All Pro
    Those are some smart rules.

Is Brick a Franchise LT according to those rules.

Is Mangold a Franchise OC according to those rules.Who on our team is the best example of the type of OG recommended.

1. Workouts should confirm what you already know.
    Agreed, unless they go counter to what you already know, then what? We have rated this guy highly, what the hell he just ran a 4.7?

2. How a player plays the game is just as important as any stat.
    Agreed.

3. Numbers donít lie, but they donít tell the whole story.
    Agreed

4. Character is as important as talent.
    Disagree, you can't just make this kind of blanket statement. Eric Smith is high character.

5. Your team will not win if they draft criminals.
    If you draft too many I agree.

6. The Combine should be for medical evaluations and for coaches to interview players on coachability ó not to evaluate talent or second guess scout evaluations.
    See my other comment above. If a guy you have rated low has a shockingly good workout or a guy you really like has a shockingly bad work out you have to go back and reaccess.

7. Scouts evaluate talent; they do not draft, or slot, players.
    Hopefully if the Gm actually thinks highly of his scouts he will let them help in slotting them.

8. Coaches coach talent. History proves most, if not all are not good talent evaluators.
    Agreed, and this has been a problem with the Jets.

9. GMís & coaches place the value of a player to the team; scouts cannot because they are too close to the playerís profile.
    This is countered because coaches are too close to existing players and over value them. Rex is a prime example of this.

10. Many times, scouts plant ďinsideĒ details to manipulate and gather more information.
    Not sure what this means, would need an example.

11. Donít just draft a guard. Draft centers who can play guard and guards that can play center.
    Agreed if possible but you know what they say about guys that play multiple positions, they have no real position.

12. Drafting a franchise left tackle improves three positions: LT, LG & QB. Drafting a franchise center improves, center, guards and confidence on the rest of the line as well as the offensive coordinator and QB. I love drafting offensive linemen!
    Agreed.

13. I love drafting offensive lineman, but you should be able to find a RG standing in the check-out line at Walmart. If he doesnít play center or left guard, let the other teams draft him.
    I wouldn't go as far As this dude but agree it is not a priority position.

14. Pass rushing is not a specialty. It should be included in the evaluation of the DE or LB position in their totality.
    Agreed. However it still stands far above something like pass coverage.

15. Tackling, or lack thereof, is a priority and the first skill I look for when evaluating all defensive positions. A CB can cover like a blanket, but if he doesnít want to tackle, he is worthless.
    I disagree and so would a lot of coaches who feel they can coach up a player to be an average tackler. Dion Sanders was one of the worst tacklers you will see.

16. Insisting your team has to draft a certain player or the whole draft is a failure is a trap. The 2-board system shows you the talent in every round. No need to panic.
    Agreed.

17. Every round must be looked at like it is as important as the first round. The goal must be to draft talent and value in every round. No more Mr. Irrelevant. Itís an insult to the player selected.
    Agreed, too bad Tanny had the exact opposite view.

18. Bad teams in top ten should trade down whenever possible for more picks in the ďpresentĒ draft and not for future picks. Future picks are for future GMís and coaches.
    I disagree, first of all it all depends who is on the board of course but at times drafting for future picks is the right thing to do if future drafts hold more value. Not to the extent that the Pats do it but it can be a good move for the franchise as a whole.

19. Never trade out of the top ten when you need a QB.
    Totally disagree, this line of thinking will have the Jets over draft a QB at nine that is totally unworthy of the consideration.

20. Sell the farm (mother, wife included) to move up in a draft if you think a QB is a franchise QB and your teams needs one. Just ask for visitation rights for mom and a conjugal visit for the wife!
    I do not disagree with this but you had better be right or you have pooched your team for multiple years. See the New York Jets.

21. Drafting BPA is nice to say, but donít believe it; pretty much everyone is drafting for needs.
    Not always, there have been many cases where teams did not have a big need at the time but made the right draft. Colts had Marvin Harrison, drafted Reggie Wayne. Rams had Isacc Bruce, draft Tory Holt. Chiefs had priest holmes drafted Larry Johnson, giants drafting dlineman all the time. Packers have tons of recievers, draft cobb.

22. If a Head Coach blows a top ten selection because of character issues, you can bet he will be fired in about three years ó sometimes sooner.
    Funny he is blaming this on the coach not the GM.

23. Donít believe the crap that this is a passing league. There are maybe five franchise QBís in the league. The rest need the threat of a good RB to be effective.
    Sorry, this is just wrong. Brady and the pats had no run game for years, rogers and the packers have no run game, giants lat super bowl win they were very low in rush offense.

24. WRís and RBís can be found in any round in the draft, but there are exceptions to every rule.
    Yes and the exceptions make this rule obsolete. For every Wr and RB that can be found there are alot that flop, just like any other position.

25. LBís do not have to run 4.30 40-yd dashes. They just have to be smart enough to know how not to get beat by an opponent who can run a 4.30 forty.
    Only to a point because the other teams know your guy runs a 4.8 and will do everything they can to match up against him. See Bart Scott.

All Pro
    I agree with a lot of this.

Tough to just ignore speed though. It does matter, a lot for skill positions.

Character is often overrated. And football/team character is different than if someone is labeled a trouble maker. If he is committed to he game and his teammates, I don't care that he's a dickhead or doesn't give to charity or likes to party.

There are lots of really nice, good guys who never made it in the league and there are lots of douchebags who are pro bowlers.

All League
    Hard to disagree with any of the 25 points. I could probaby nitpick a few but all very well written.

Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

Sorry, this is just wrong. Brady and the pats had no run game for years, rogers and the packers have no run game, giants lat super bowl win they were very low in rush offense.
    I think you need to re-read that one. Brady and Rodgers are what he believes to be franchise QBs. "THE REST" need an effective running game.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I think you need to re-read that one. Brady and Rodgers are what he believes to be franchise QBs. "THE REST" need an effective running game.
    He also says there are only 5 franchise QB's and then says if you are in the top 10 you must not trade back and probably go after a Qb. He also says to trade the farm to get a Qb if you don't have one. He also says RB's can be had anywhere in the draft. There is some very contradictory hard and fast rules in there.

All Pro
    He also says there are only 5 franchise QB's and then says if you are in the top 10 you must not trade back and probably go after a Qb. He also says to trade the farm to get a Qb if you don't have one. He also says RB's can be had anywhere in the draft. There is some very contradictory hard and fast rules in there.
    It was poorly worded but I took it to mean IF there was a franchise QB candidate in the draft, you go get him no matter what (hello, SAR!). But in this particular draft that doesn't really apply except maybe about Geno Smith (maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    It was poorly worded but I took it to mean IF there was a franchise QB candidate in the draft, you go get him no matter what (hello, SAR!). But in this particular draft that doesn't really apply except maybe about Geno Smith (maybe).
    And I would agree with that ala the Redskins going after RG3. You can't fool your self though like the Jets did with Sanchez. We were just lucky that Mangini made a poor trade.

All Pro
    And I would agree with that ala the Redskins going after RG3. You can't fool your self though like the Jets did with Sanchez. We were just lucky that Mangini made a poor trade.
    Very low risk trade for Sanchez and honestly, after that first and then second season ending at the AFCCG you had to be thinking we got a great deal on that trade. What happened since is something nobody could really have foreseen.

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Very low risk trade for Sanchez and honestly, after that first and then second season ending at the AFCCG you had to be thinking we got a great deal on that trade. What happened since is something nobody could really have foreseen.
    Not sure about that a few of use were never sold on Sanchez. He only really looked like a good Qb in about 5 games even in those years. He was nearly as bad the 1st two years as the last two, we just had a much better supporting cast.

All Pro
    Not sure about that a few of use were never sold on Sanchez. He only really looked like a good Qb in about 5 games even in those years. He was nearly as bad the 1st two years as the last two, we just had a much better supporting cast.
    Fair but considering our next best option at that time was Clemens, and we really gave up very little to move up and draft Sanchez, AND considering he only had a year of starting at USC and we hoped he'd continue to improve, the trade itself was considered a very good one.

History makes fools of us all eventually though.

Rookie
    With all the vitreol now surrounding Sanchez, drafting him would not have set us back too badly had it not been for Tanny's extention. We just could have parted company with no hard feelings if it wasn't for that. I think we're all riding him way to hard.

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    With all the vitreol now surrounding Sanchez, drafting him would not have set us back too badly had it not been for Tanny's extention. We just could have parted company with no hard feelings if it wasn't for that. I think we're all riding him way to hard.
    Who, Sanchez? The guy makes 15 million a year and has played like a lousy CFLer. I do agree about Tanny though, that extension totaly smacked of coddling once again after the Jets showed interest in Manning.