Post Thanks / Like

It shame to read about trouble Wesley Walker

going through today. http://www.contracostatimes.com/sports/ci_22558403

Former Cal star Wesley Walker in 'constant, wrenching' pain

By Dave Belli

dbelli@bayareanewsgroup.com
    Posted: 02/09/2013 08:16:09 PM PST
    Updated: 02/09/2013 08:50:02 PM PST

The image many Bay Area college football fans of a certain age have of Wesley Walker is of the ultimate deep threat, an impossibly fast wide receiver for Cal in the mid-1970s.

It might be more than a little sobering, then, to learn of his current physical state.

Jeff Roberts of The Record (Hackensack, N.J.) wrote earlier this year that Walker, 57, has been unable to feel his feet for 25 years and suffers from what Walkers calls "constant, wrenching" pain running up his arms and deep inside his hands, which shake from nerve damage.

This, reports Roberts, is the result of injuries Walker suffered during his often spectacular football career, which included four seasons at Cal (1973-76) and 13 in the NFL with the New York Jets (1977-89).

According to Roberts, Walker suffers from almost daily sleeplessness, which he combats by watching movies in the dark.

"I've sat in bed, praying 'Jesus, God, would you make the pain go away?' " Walker told The Record. "I just don't want to go through this anymore. I would give anything just for a day not to have this happen."

Roberts wrote that Walker took hits in 1986 and 1989 that left him temporarily paralyzed and are responsible for much of his pain and weakness. Spinal surgery five years ago required a plate and 14 screws to rebuild his neck, and he now needs back surgery.

Walker told The Record that he resorted to drinking but recently stopped when his three adult children
    Advertisement
    expressed concern.

"They don't understand," Walker said. "It's not taking the pain away. It's just making me not think about it."

His daughter Taylor Walker told The Record: "It's just a constant struggle because he's always in pain."

The newspaper said Walker needs injections to walk and is experiencing short-term memory and enunciation difficulties.

"I never thought it would be like this," Walker told The Record. "If I knew I would end up like this, hell no. Not on your life (would I have played). I'd find another career."

Walker, who was inducted into the Cal football Hall of Fame in 1992, set an NCAA record for highest average gain per catch in a career (minimum 75 catches) at 25.7 yards. His best game came against San Jose State in 1976 when he had eight receptions for a school-record 289 yards.

The Jets selected Walker 33rd overall (second round) in the 1977 draft, and he caught 71 touchdown passes and averaged 19.0 yards per catch in his NFL career, making two Pro Bowls.

Those exploits came at a high price.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I never thought it would be like this," Walker told The Record. "If I knew I would end up like this, hell no. Not on your life (would I have played). I'd find another career."
    That's one of the first times I've heard an ex NFL player say that. They usually say they'd do it again in a heartbeat.

One of my favorite Jets of all time with Freeman and Klecko.

I hope things work out soon.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    See this is what happens to great players and no one really cares.

Posters out here complain and mock the players who are now playing and say "why should they get paid"...

Well folks this is why!!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Walker was a great, explosive WR.

He always seemed to torch the Pats.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

Ok?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    See this is what happens to great players and no one really cares.

Posters out here complain and mock the players who are now playing and say "why should they get paid"...

Well folks this is why!!!!
    I've always felt that out of all the professional athletes, football players and boxers actually deserved the millions they make, because of the beatings they endure over the course of their careers.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'd like to extend prayers to him and his family. difficult can't describe what he goes through. he's a patient at my girlfriend's office and she says he still is a great guy and manages to smile and be kind to everyone.

the man is going through hell for entertaining us. I hope there is something that can be done for him.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    I've always felt that out of all the professional athletes, football players and boxers actually deserved the millions they make, because of the beatings they endure over the course of their careers.
    I fully agree with you. The situation is even worse in boxing. The overwhelming majority make peanuts, and walk away from the sport with neuro damage.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

Who didn't back then?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really sad. Had the chance to meet Wesley a couple of times and he was as nice a guy as you could imagine. One of my faves as a kid.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Who didn't back then?
    Ouch! Those Patriots teams of the late 70's were no slouches. Didn't matter to Walker though -- he was a great player.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Really sad. Had the chance to meet Wesley a couple of times and he was as nice a guy as you could imagine. One of my faves as a kid.
    +1