Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Mock (Cro trade)

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    All you have to do is go back to 1999 and see that it's not an unprecedented idea to draft 2 Guards in the first 2 picks which was practiced by the Great Savior: Bill Parcells.

In 1999 we drafted in order:

2nd round #57 Overall - Randy Thomas -G - Mississippi State
    3rd round #90 Overall - David Loverne - G - San Jose St.

4th round #123 Overall - Jason Wiltz - DT - Nebraska
    5th round #162 Overall - Jermaine jones - DB - lasted 3 games
    6th round #183 Overall - Marc Megna - LB - Richmond
    6th round #197 Overall - JP Machado - G - Illinois
    7th round #223 Overall - Ryan Young - OT - Kansas State

We went HEAVY on OLine that draft and the only picks that panned out were ol' #77 Randy Thomas until we lost him to Washington in 2003 and Ryan Young who was a starter from Day 1 as well but was gifted to the Texans expansion draft in exchange for them also taking Aaron Glenn & Marcus Coleman's MONSTER contracts off our books.

Just saying that it has been done before by a HOF coach and it should not shock anyone if it were to happen again if the value is there
    But the Jets didn't have a ton of money already invested in a pro-bowl LT and a pro-bowl C

Two OG's at the top of their draft is asking for Idzik to commit career suicide in his first year as a GM

Thank god none of you are the GM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    But the Jets didn't have a ton of money already invested in a pro-bowl LT and a pro-bowl C

Two OG's at the top of their draft is asking for Idzik to commit career suicide in his first year as a GM

How the hell is taking two safe, highly touted OG's at the top of the draft committing career suicide? Especially when both Slauson and Moore are going to hit the market?

The way I see it, there are no bigtime players at the offensive skill positions in this draft. The strength of this class is along the OL and DL. So I say draft to this classes strengths.

Warmack and Warford are day 1 starters for this team and immediately transform our OL back to their 2009 level.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    two guards in the first three picks? holy ****.
    yeah same thoughts....lol

Drafting 2 guards in the first 3 picks is straight up awful. The guard position is one of the least important positions on the football field. Trading a top 10 corner for a rookie Guard is a terrible value. Also, Chance would be the first guard taken in the top 10 in over a decade. The Guard position is not that valuable. Our offensive line isn't the Cardinals. We have 2 all-pro caliber offensive lineman at Center and LT. This draft also doesn't cover our most glaring need, a pass rusher, in a pass rusher heavy draft in the first round. Taylor in the 2nd round is a legit reach as well. Randle, Lacy, Bernard, are much better talents, and Bernard and Randle fit our system to a T. This draft class is very RB heavy in the mid rounds, reaching on a 2nd rounder is a terrible pick.

I hate this mock with a passion.

- Oh and, because I already know you're going to combat my argument by saying we'd have an elite offensive line. We'd tie up a ton of money at the offensive line, that we simply cannot do. Also, even if both picks panned out, we'd have an elite offensive line, terrible QB play, mediocre RB's, with a mediocre defense. That's another 5-11 team. Good work.
    Last edited by K-Ro 25; 02-20-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    nooooooooooooooooooooo stop dump. thanks
    Drafting that many guards that early on and forsaking the other position is plain NUTS. Geez what if one of these guys has a season ending injury and we didn't even bother picking up 1 competent OLB passrusher???

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    Drafting 2 guards in the first 3 picks is straight up awful. The guard position is one of the least important positions on the football field. Trading a top 10 corner for a rookie Guard is a terrible value. Also, Chance would be the first guard taken in the top 10 in over a decade. The Guard position is not that valuable. Our offensive line isn't the Cardinals. We have 2 all-pro caliber offensive lineman at Center and LT. This draft also doesn't cover our most glaring need, a pass rusher, in a pass rusher heavy draft in the first round. Taylor in the 2nd round is a legit reach as well. Randle, Lacy, Bernard, are much better talents, and Bernard and Randle fit our system to a T. This draft class is very RB heavy in the mid rounds, reaching on a 2nd rounder is a terrible pick.

I hate this mock with a passion.

- Oh and, because I already know you're going to combat my argument by saying we'd have an elite offensive line. We'd tie up a ton of money at the offensive line, that we simply cannot do. Also, even if both picks panned out, we'd have an elite offensive line, terrible QB play, mediocre RB's, with a mediocre defense. That's another 5-11 team. Good work.
    Your mock blows

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    How the hell is taking two safe, highly touted OG's at the top of the draft committing career suicide? Especially when both Slauson and Moore are going to hit the market?

The way I see it, there are no bigtime players at the offensive skill positions in this draft. The strength of this class is along the OL and DL. So I say draft to this classes strengths.

Warmack and Warford are day 1 starters for this team and immediately transform our OL back to their 2009 level.
    I hate this because there is no positional value there, guards are simply not that important (especially RG) I just don't think it makes any sense at all.

And the fact that this year is deep at OL means they're more likely to find a quality player in the 3-5th rounds (where OGs are usually taken) than other years.

Ignoring skill positions in favor of not 1 but 2 OGs doesn't put more points on the board.

No team in the NFL has 5 OLmen on their roster who they selected in the 1st 2 rounds... and for good reason. You have not figured out some secret plan for success here. It's a bad idea.

Your mock blows

Mature response. I'm also a college football player with a much better draft than that excuse of a draft. Get real.

Mature response. I'm also a college football player with a much better draft than that excuse of a draft. Get real.
    What does being a college football player got to do with a mock draft. Schemes, alignments, responsibilites, regarding plays ok but making a mock draft?

your draft has Cooper being available at pick 39, yours is the only one that I seen him that late, most have him as the best center and 2nd best guard in this draft.

You also traded a guy with a Liz franc injury that still has not had his 2nd surgery and is a head case making 11 mill dollars for a 4th rd pick. A guy that plays football should know what this injury does to to WR and how it can severely limit his ability to play the game at the same level as before, yet you chose to ignore this and trade him to a team that is 12 mill over the cap

Jets Insider VIP
    I played college ball too.

Me, you, and thousands upon thousands of other kids every year.

Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

Why would it be career suicide? If the Jets have the best OL in the NFL for the next 5-10 years no one will look back and complain.

Rex has shown that he can win with crappy Lbers (we haven't had a dynamic one since he has been here), so what is the urgency to get one? Meanwhile, our team is terrible on offense and a great offensive line can make average RBs, WRs and even Average QBs look real good.

All Pro
    - Jets trade Cromartie to the Bucs for their 2nd round pick this year and a 4th in 2014

1st round: OG Chance Warmack - Alabama

2nd round: RB Stepfan Taylor - Stanford

2nd round: OG Larry Warford - Kentucky

3rd round: OLB Brandon Jenkins - Florida State

4th round: QB Zac Dysert - Miami Ohio

5th round: OLB Meshak Williams - Kansas State

6th round: WR Keenan Davis - Iowa

7th round: FB Tommy Bohanon - Vanderbilt
    Thing is though, we're going to address some of the Oline concerns through FA (as Tony's pointed with Schwartz in MIN). Same with OLB. Realistically we can't afford to use 2 picks on the oline that high. We're devoid of depth on the dline (assumedly more cuts) and LB.

I imagine 1 of our top 4 picks will be an OG

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Thing is though, we're going to address some of the Oline concerns through FA (as Tony's pointed with Schwartz in MIN). Same with OLB. Realistically we can't afford to use 2 picks on the oline that high. We're devoid of depth on the dline (assumedly more cuts) and LB.

I imagine 1 of our top 4 picks will be an OG
    If you consider attempting to sign a Fa addressing a concern. Schwartz could not beat out Fusco who was a 1st year starter at guard having played 3 games at center his rookie year. Schwartz would be a nice signing as a b/u but will not make Sanchez feel any better back there.

The jets are not going to be able to address all their concerns with 7 draft picks (who on a good year yield 3 starters and 2 backups) and 10 mill in FA money. There are going to be positions where there are players starting that should not be. However, insuring that the oline is addressed, helps you QB stay healthy and play with confidence, opens holes for your running game and gives the gives the WR a little more time to get open. Build a strong foundation 1st and worry about the wall and roof later.
    Last edited by patman; 02-21-2013 at 06:01 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    If you consider attempting to sign a Fa addressing a concern. Schwartz could not beat out Fusco who was a 1st year starter at guard having played 3 games at center his rookie year. Schwartz would be a nice signing as a b/u but will not make Sanchez feel any better back there.

The jets are not going to be able to address all their concerns with 7 draft picks (who on a good year yield 3 starters and 2 backups) and 10 mill in FA money. There are going to be positions where there are players starting that should not be. However, insuring that the oline is addressed, helps you QB stay healthy and play with confidence, opens holes for your running game and gives the gives the WR a little more time to get open. Build a strong foundation 1st and worry about the wall and roof later.
    That's one line (pun) of thinking. There are many lines of thinking - like why bother protecting sanchez? Or - who needs Linebackers? ...I assure you, we'll not be using 2 of our first 3 picks on Olinemen unless the board dictates it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    That's one line (pun) of thinking. There are many lines of thinking - like why bother protecting sanchez? Or - who needs Linebackers? ...I assure you, we'll not be using 2 of our first 3 picks on Olinemen unless the board dictates it.
    I don't know, it is just the way I feel a team should be built. Not to be a dick though, but after the cuts and Fa losses it is going to be very easy for the jets to go BPA and not reach for any position.

Schwartz also missed the entire 2011 season due to a hip injury. He was an effective player in Carolina before that. Not a stud, but definitely a guy who was capable of starting. No worse than Slauson, plus he has the versatility of playing RT, thus insulating the team in the event Brick gets a serious injury (slide Howard to LT, move Schwartz to RT). It helps us avoid the situation in which Ducasse would have to be forced into the RT spot in case of emergency.

Jets fans know the severity of Schwartz's injury because the same one limited Brandon Moore in 2011 when he had hip surgery before the season.

I'm not making the guy out to be Larry Allen, but he's definitely a cost effective acquisition for the offensive line. That's not the easiest thing in the world to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Schwartz also missed the entire 2011 season due to a hip injury. He was an effective player in Carolina before that. Not a stud, but definitely a guy who was capable of starting. No worse than Slauson, plus he has the versatility of playing RT, thus insulating the team in the event Brick gets a serious injury (slide Howard to LT, move Schwartz to RT). It helps us avoid the situation in which Ducasse would have to be forced into the RT spot in case of emergency.

Jets fans know the severity of Schwartz's injury because the same one limited Brandon Moore in 2011 when he had hip surgery before the season.

I'm not making the guy out to be Larry Allen, but he's definitely a cost effective acquisition for the offensive line. That's not the easiest thing in the world to find.
    Anytime you can pick up a guy that started at multiple positions on the oline for 1mill is a good investment.

Anytime you can pick up a guy that started at multiple positions on the oline for 1mill is a good investment.
    Exactly. He might be a little more than that, but offensive line is not a positional grouping where you can mess around. The Pats are the paragon of how to build an offensive line and establish depth within it.

Even if you guys lose Vollmer this year (which you probably won't), it won't be the end of the world.

I cannot remember the last time the Patriots had a below average offensive line, and it's not like they haven't had their fair share of injuries on the line. It's one of the biggest things I respect about the Pats.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Exactly. He might be a little more than that, but offensive line is not a positional grouping where you can mess around. The Pats are the paragon of how to build an offensive line and establish depth within it.

Even if you guys lose Vollmer this year (which you probably won't), it won't be the end of the world.

I cannot remember the last time the Patriots had a below average offensive line, and it's not like they haven't had their fair share of injuries on the line. It's one of the biggest things I respect about the Pats.
    I think all 3 of the big FA walk this offseason, Welker may stay, but Talib wants to go to FA and the pats Won't match the best ofer, Vollmer may be the highest paid OT to hit FA, His abilty to Play LT makes him to expensive.
    If Welker gets an offer for more than 7 mill I think he is gone. Step back for the pats this year.

I think all 3 of the big FA walk this offseason, Welker may stay, but Talib wants to go to FA and the pats Won't match the best ofer, Vollmer may be the highest paid OT to hit FA, His abilty to Play LT makes him to expensive.
    If Welker gets an offer for more than 7 mill I think he is gone. Step back for the pats this year.
    Of the three, Vollmer seems the most likely to stay.

Even if the Pats take a "step back" this year, they're still a double digit win team. As long as Brady keeps putting up 100+ QB rating seasons, all is well. Plus Ridley emerged last year and you've got to think the defense will marginally improve.

I'll wet myself if the Pats draft Tavon Austin (in the event Welker walks).