Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam Schein on the afternoon blitz

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Fumes View Post
    SF picks at 31, so their "first" round pick is essentially an early second round pick. Revis is worth more than what amounts to one high second round pick, and who knows what it amounts to next season. Likley SF wont slide back that far if they slide back at all. So next years first is also gonna be a late first rounder, or potentially so late its really an early second. The only way those picks are worth anything is to bundle them together and try and move ahead of someone trading ahead of the Jets at pick 9 this year.

The flip side is this tho... if Revis goes anyway and we get cock for him, then by all means lets get as much of whatever as we can get while we can get it.

Quantity wise... you are talking a total of three players for the price of one. On the surface, eh.... not interested tho. This would def give them alot of flexibility in the next two drafts tho.
    You realize that picks 13-50 are generally a lot more solid and safer than top ten picks. Yes, you have your pick of the litter, but top ten picks lead to people choosing potential over substance (Gholston baby!). Also I was thinking about the 42nd pick in the second round as a late first. Depends on how you look at the glass I suppose.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes I would do it. We would win at least 10games with this same roster and alex smith. Use the 2 #1s to help restock the team or as ammo to get a franchise qb (ie: trade up next year).

Revis could be the missing piece for the niners, but I'm not sure they can afford him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Sure. Help them take out their trash and in exchange get the league's best cornerback. Sounds about right. How about Kaepernick? That's something to talk about.

First, this can not even work in the cap. Revis will hit the cap for 9 mill and increase in 3 mill dollars due to SB pro-ration . Smith will then add 7.5 mill and the 2#1s another 3 mill. Where are the jets going to find 14 mill dollars.

And how do you consider 2 #1 picks trash? For renting a cb for a year. The jets don't have revis long term, don't you understand that?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    yes I would do it. We would win at least 10games with this same roster and alex smith. Use the 2 #1s to help restock the team or as ammo to get a franchise qb (ie: trade up next year).

Revis could be the missing piece for the niners, but I'm not sure they can afford him.
    Which roster are you referring to? This years roster is one giant question mark right now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CTJetFan92 View Post
    You realize that picks 13-50 are generally a lot more solid and safer than top ten picks. Yes, you have your pick of the litter, but top ten picks lead to people choosing potential over substance (Gholston baby!). Also I was thinking about the 42nd pick in the second round as a late first. Depends on how you look at the glass I suppose.
    That's not true. It used to be that lower first round picks had a lot more value than top 10 picks. However with the changes to the rookie cap (Luck got $14.5M Guaranteed , for example, Bradford got $50M guaranteed in 2010) that's no longer the case.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The amount of people here scoffing at this deal is shocking. Yes, Alex Smith is average at best, but average qb play would have gotten us into the playoffs last year. He wouldn't be a long term solution, just a stop gap as some have said while a future 1st round pick holds a clipboard for a year or two.

And how many non qbs do you see get traded for multiple first round picks? Not that many. If the FO doesn't want to pay 16 million a year for Revis(which they shouldn't) and cant get him to accept being just the highest paid corner, you take this deal in a heartbeat. I think alot of people are overvaluing how much Revis is worth. 2 1st round picks, granted late ones, would be awesome and a chance to speed up the rebuilding process.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    And Beerfish, what are the odds that the jets don't sign any FA if Revis walks? If so there goes the 3rd.
    If the Jets can't afford Revis they are not going to sign high end FA, or at least Idzik has indicated that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Which roster are you referring to? This years roster is one giant question mark right now.
    the roster of the opening day 2012 team. The current roster is a virtual unknown with the looming FA, cuts, etc.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The scenario is ridiculous because Smith will be released regardless. The idea of anyone trading for him is not as absurd as someone trading for Sanchez but its a close second.

Revis should be retained. There is no trade that will bring back equal value for a player like him. He is worth the 14-15Million per year price tag. Considering a player like Cro is likely to cost 11 million the couple extra bucks for the best is well worth it. Our cap issues end in 2013. Chances are we will be forced to spend on lesser players if we don't retain Revis.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagroCrag View Post
    The amount of people here scoffing at this deal is shocking. Yes, Alex Smith is average at best, but average qb play would have gotten us into the playoffs last year. He wouldn't be a long term solution, just a stop gap as some have said while a future 1st round pick holds a clipboard for a year or two.

And how many non qbs do you see get traded for multiple first round picks? Not that many. If the FO doesn't want to pay 16 million a year for Revis(which they shouldn't) and cant get him to accept being just the highest paid corner, you take this deal in a heartbeat. I think alot of people are overvaluing how much Revis is worth. 2 1st round picks, granted late ones, would be awesome and a chance to speed up the rebuilding process.
    totally agree. Alex Smith is a tremendous upgrade and we can win with him. People think every team should have a brady, brees, or rogers. not reality.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another guy that chooses to ignore the cap.

Pro bowl FS Goldson is a FA, Delanie Walker is a FA, Both DT Sapogoa and Francouis are Free agents, never mind role players such as Moss, Ginn, and Leonard Davis. In two years, Aldon Smith and Kapernick are both FA.
    They are 4 mill under the cap and will save almost 7 mill from the cap from cutting Smith. But Revis will get all that in his first year.
    I guess it might be worth it if you win a few SBs. Anyway, it works for me. At least you can hope to be in the playoffs next year with a few good draft picks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    the benefit of trading for smith is cost certainly of 8mil+ for 1yr. If he is cut, he will be much more expensive on the open market and completely out of reach for this team.

p.s. I don't think the jets will get smith anyway

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagroCrag View Post

Alex Smith is an average QB with Jim Harbaugh as his coach and the surrounding cast he has in San Fran. He is not an average QB with the Jets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    First, this can not even work in the cap. Revis will hit the cap for 9 mill and increase in 3 mill dollars due to SB pro-ration . Smith will then add 7.5 mill and the 2#1s another 3 mill. Where are the jets going to find 14 mill dollars.

And how do you consider 2 #1 picks trash? For renting a cb for a year. The jets don't have revis long term, don't you understand that?
    You hit the nail on the head. Everybody forgets that Revis can't be tagged. Tannenbaum conceded this to Revis. We have Revis for another year until the dollars/cap room required reach even more absurd proportions for the CB position. This team just has way too many needs and holes to afford the luxury that is Revis. It's a damned shame, but for the short term, it must have looked good to Tanny.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    the benefit of trading for smith is cost certainly of 8mil+ for 1yr. If he is cut, he will be much more expensive on the open market and completely out of reach for this team.

p.s. I don't think the jets will get smith anyway
    Smith is not going to get 8+ million per year as a free agent.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would do the deal

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    I would do the deal
    So would i, but not before loking into what the Bucs would offer.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Nope. Just re-sign the guy.
    I doesn't look like that's going to be an option.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 2 1st round draft choices is good enough. Throw Smith in the deal as a stop gap until we draft another QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Alex Smith is an average QB with Jim Harbaugh as his coach and the surrounding cast he has in San Fran. He is not an average QB with the Jets.
    Ummmm this!!!!

Anyone thinking we have the same or simalar talent as San Fran... is NUTS!!!!!