Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Adam Schein on the afternoon blitz

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Alex Smith can not win a Superbowl. There's no scenario, no dream team you could surround him with where that could ever happen. We all agree on that right?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Alex Smith can not win a Superbowl. There's no scenario, no dream team you could surround him with where that could ever happen. We all agree on that right?
    Ummmmm no people out here seem to act like San Fran sat Joe Montanna down when it comes down to Alex Smith...

Unbelievable!!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 02-12-2013 at 12:33 AM.

San Fran could definitely use Revis, but they could use a pass rusher even more. Justin Smith is getting old.

Jets Insider VIP
    No one is saying that Smith will lead us to Superbowl glory.

He's just simply a better option than Sanchez.

I know that me and you were the biggest Sanchez fans prior to the '09 draft, but I can't take this kid anymore.

I'm literally at my wits end.

Anyone but Sanchez in 2013.

Literally

If he had Manningham and Moss last year, he might have led them to the exact same place that Kaepernick had. Heck, if Kyle Williams doesn't muff two punts he might have led them there.

But that's not the point. The point is he's a better option than Mark Sanchez, even if for a year, and the sooner that S.O.B. is out of this locker-room or at least on the pine pony, the better the organization will be.

Everybody seems so sure that the Niners will dump Smith. Next they all fail to consider that Smith is a West Coast guy, so even if they were to dump him, he's land on his feet in possibly Arizona or Kansas City.

To be perfectly honest:

If you are going to run the read option, which the Niners do, Smith could be the difference between losing an entire season to a Kaepernick injury and being able to still contend without him.

I don't think anybody will give up two first rounders, even late ones, for a guy at a speed position coming off an ACL even if he was the best at his position prior to the injury.

If I was the Jets, I'd be soliciting trades for my first round pick this year combined with Revis for an additional 2nd this year and a first, 2nd, and 3rd next year. The third can go either year, to be honest.

I would much rather have two firsts next year, package them together, and trade up for Bridgewater or Clowney than take whatever bust they'll draft in the first round this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Everybody seems so sure that the Niners will dump Smith. Next they all fail to consider that Smith is a West Coast guy, so even if they were to dump him, he's land on his feet in possibly Arizona or Kansas City.

To be perfectly honest:

If you are going to run the read option, which the Niners do, Smith could be the difference between losing an entire season to a Kaepernick injury and being able to still contend without him.

I don't think anybody will give up two first rounders, even late ones, for a guy at a speed position coming off an ACL even if he was the best at his position prior to the injury.

If I was the Jets, I'd be soliciting trades for my first round pick this year combined with Revis for an additional 2nd this year and a first, 2nd, and 3rd next year. The third can go either year, to be honest.

I would much rather have two firsts next year, package them together, and trade up for Bridgewater or Clowney than take whatever bust they'll draft in the first round this year.
    This should be the Jets thinking as well..

Enough with the band aid approach, lets lay out a STRATEGIC PLAN to win for a change!!!

Banned
    I think people are not fully understanding what Schein said. He didn't say Darrelle Revis for Alex Smith. He said Revis for two first round picks (2013 and 2014), plus Alex Smith.

So we'd have two firsts this year, AND two firsts next year. That's four first round picks in two years, or we can use them in a package deal for a blue chip player.

That is an extremely advantageous position to be in. Plus, it frees up a lot of cap space. It would allow us to sign a couple of decent free agents.

THAT is how you rebuild this team.

Forget the Alex Smith part of the deal. He is a small part of that potential trade.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    I think people are not fully understanding what Schein said. He didn't say Darrelle Revis for Alex Smith. He said Revis for two first round picks (2013 and 2014), plus Alex Smith.

So we'd have two firsts this year, AND two firsts next year. That's four first round picks in two years, or we can use them in a package deal for a blue chip player.

That is an extremely advantageous position to be in. Plus, it frees up a lot of cap space. It would allow us to sign a couple of decent free agents.

Forget the Alex Smith part of the deal. He is a small part of that potential trade.
    That is a Good Point!!!

And in that scenario it would makes sense to deal Revis if you felt that you were going to lose him for practically nothing.

In that way you get real competition for Sanchez and if Smith nor Sanchez shows they can't get it done you are in a better position to do what PMarsico9 suggested above in 2014.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    That is a Good Point!!!

And in that scenario it would makes sense to deal Revis if you felt that you were going to lose him for practically nothing.

In that way you get real competition for Sanchez and if Smith nor Sanchez shows they can't get it done you are in a better position to do what PMarsico9 suggested above in 2014.
    Exactly. You aren't conceding anything by making this move. You're strengthening your position for the next two drafts, as well as giving yourself the ability to fill some of the many holes on your roster.

And you're doing so by giving up only one player. A player that you can't afford to keep, and will otherwise lose in a year for nothing.

If the Niners, or any other team for that matter, would make such an offer, I'd jump all over it.

When you put it like that....

No.

And I'll tell you why, because no team in their right mind is going to trade the opportunity to draft the most dominant player in the NCAA for 2 first round draft picks. The only way we get Clowney is if we're picking #1 overall.

Unless you're talking about drafting a sure thing at QB... then I'll sign off on that. Plus they have to win a Super Bowl... you must guarantee that. Otherwise no.

Agreed. I am not a huge fan of Smith but he is more of a viable two year or three year stop gap while we search for a franchise guy. The first rounders, even late ones would be a big help.

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    When you put it like that....

No.

And I'll tell you why, because no team in their right mind is going to trade the opportunity to draft the most dominant player in the NCAA for 2 first round draft picks. The only way we get Clowney is if we're picking #1 overall.

Unless you're talking about drafting a sure thing at QB... then I'll sign off on that. Plus they have to win a Super Bowl... you must guarantee that. Otherwise no.
    I scanned his post long and hard and didn't see the name 'clowney' in there. This team needs talent in many positions and a lot of flexibility. Most people want to keep out best player in Revis but if the dollar plan says no then get the best deal you can right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Don't be nave

Comparing Smith's career to Sanchez' first four years is completely valid, both top draft picks, both who had slow starts. In Sanchez, he started off far better than Smith, winning 4 playoff games, where Smith was a complete bust right away.

Smith has finally put things together, still hasn't played to the potential of his draft selection, but is otherwise a solid NFL QB, it remains to be seen what Sanchez becomes, but it's not unfathomable that a change in offensive scheme and a complete commitment to the passing game, both in terms of philosophy as well as the supporting cast around him on the roster can help Sanchez as it seemed to do with Smith, they are both very valid, and very comparable, especially since Smith is a topic of discussion as a player that the Jets could consider bringing to the team as competition for Sanchez.
    Sanchez would never have made the playoffs if he had been drafted by a team with a bad enough record to warrant the #1 pick. The Lions for example. Sanchez got drafted by a 9-7 team that really should have been 12-4 the previous year. He went to a great team. Smith went to an awful one. Sanchez would have probably been cut already if he had been drafted by a 3-13 team. He's terrible. Face it and move on already.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Sanchez would never have made the playoffs if he had been drafted by a team with a bad enough record to warrant the #1 pick. The Lions for example. Sanchez got drafted by a 9-7 team that really should have been 12-4 the previous year. He went to a great team. Smith went to an awful one. Sanchez would have probably been cut already if he had been drafted by a 3-13 team. He's terrible. Face it and move on already.

Well said.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    This should be the Jets thinking as well..

Enough with the band aid approach, lets lay out a STRATEGIC PLAN to win for a change!!!
    Agreed! If we rip the band-aid off fast it won't hurt as much.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    By committing to Alex smith you are committing to mediocrity at the qb position. We need a franchise qb not a game manager.
    a game manager has won the last two sbs.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

If teams are using the ACL as excuse not to pony up on Revis, cant we let him start the year play some games and trade him before the deadline? When teams sees hes back to full strength as best cb in the NFl, while their cbs are costing as many games as mark sanchez cost the Jets they will be ready to pay up for Revis.. And if he is slow or off his game Jets can try to sign him at a much lower cost then he dreamed of... But in todays day and age i dont see why Revis wont come back full strength at his age.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    What was so great about the team Sanchez took over, especially in his first year, when he had Stuckey and Cotchery as his starting WR's?

A great team? No, a good team? Yes.

So the Jets, a great team went 9-7 with Favre at QB, with Sanchez the next year, they went 9-7 with a rookie Sanchez

They weren't great, that is a weak argument.

He was terrible last year, with a terrible supporting cast around him, due numerous key player injuries and a roster that was banged up week in and week out.

Move on because you say so? Sanchez may very well not rebound from last year, but all I've said is that I'd like to see him get the chance, with a legit supporting cast around him, and a chance to develop under an offensive coach that is committed to the passing game, which hasn't been the case throughout Sanchez' career to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    What was so great about the team Sanchez took over, especially in his first year, when he had Stuckey and Cotchery as his starting WR's?

A great team? No, a good team? Yes.

So the Jets, a great team went 9-7 with Favre at QB, with Sanchez the next year, they went 9-7 with a rookie Sanchez

They weren't great, that is a weak argument.

He was terrible last year, with a terrible supporting cast around him, due numerous key player injuries and a roster that was banged up week in and week out.

Move on because you say so? Sanchez may very well not rebound from last year, but all I've said is that I'd like to see him get the chance, with a legit supporting cast around him, and a chance to develop under an offensive coach that is committed to the passing game, which hasn't been the case throughout Sanchez' career to this point.
    The year before Alex Smith was drafted the 49ers D finished last in the league in points allowed and their offense finished 30th in the league in points scored. In 2008 the Jets were 8-3 before Favre got injured. Are you seriously comparing the 2 situations? For crying out loud the Jets had the number 1 defense in the NFL in Sanchez's first year as a starter. You're worried about offensive coaching for Sanchez? Smith had a different OC every single year he was in the league before Harbaugh arrived. Sanchez would have proabably made Testaverde's 88-89 season look good if he had gone to SF.