Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 132

Thread: Adam Schein on the afternoon blitz

  1. #81
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,812
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    No he was worse
    That just isn't true. Smith was never the worst QB in the NFL.

  2. #82
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Worse track? he improved just about every year.Sanchez was not better than smith, ever.. Are u just trying to twist the stats by looking at total yards, tds for 1st 4 years ? Mark played in 62 reg season games in 4 years, smith only 43 so yes marks total yards will be higher playing in 19 more games .Smith had qb rating over 80 twice before harbaugh got here, mark never hit 80. Smith climbed the ladder like many qbs do, mark fell off the ladder after 2 steps.. He can't read defenses at all, he just isn't smart enough to be a qb in the nfl.. I'm not saying smith is great, but he's def. better than mark Sanchez.
    This

    Outside of Smith's craptastic rookie season, he's always been better than Sanchez.

    Even pre-Harbaugh

  3. #83
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Smith is a Top 20 QB

    Is he anything special? No.

    But he's a better alternative than Sanchez for the next 2-3 years while we develop a young QB.

    The fact that we're now running a traditional WCO also has to be factored in. And in order to run this offense effectively, you need a QB who is capable of making quick reads, is accurate with the ball and won't turn it over.

    There's no way that you can convince me that Sanchez is just as good of a fit in this system as Alex Smith.

    Smith was completing 70% of his passes and had a 3:1 TD/INT ratio before suffering a concussion and getting benched. Sanchez has never come remotely close to that even when we had a dominant rushing attack and the best OL in football.
    Smith's first four years
    2005
    SF
    GP CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD LNG INT FUM QBR RAT
    9 84 165 50.9 875 5.30 1 47 11 9 -- 40.8
    2006
    SF
    16 257 442 58.1 2,890 6.54 16 75 16 6 -- 74.8
    2007
    SF
    7 94 193 48.7 914 4.74 2 45 4 6 -- 57.2
    2009
    SF
    11 225 372 60.5 2,350 6.32 18 73 12 3 40.2 81.5
    Sanchez's first four years.

    2009
    GP CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD LNG INT FUM QBR RAT
    NYJ
    15 196 364 53.8 2,444 6.71 12 65 20 8 31.6 63.0
    2010
    NYJ
    16 278 507 54.8 3,291 6.49 17 74 13 5 48.0 75.3
    2011
    NYJ
    16 308 543 56.7 3,474 6.40 26 74 18 4 33.6 78.2
    2012
    NYJ
    15 246 453 54.3 2,883 6.36 13 66 18 9 23.4 66.9
    Don't really see the validity of comparing Smith's 7th year in the league to Sanchez's rookie and second years. Not that Sanchez is any good. But neither is Smith.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Alex Smith is a liability for the Niners. Why should the Jets pay for the privilege of relieving them of this problem, with their very best player?

    Helping the 49'ers to get rid of Alex Smith is 'carrying out the trash' for them. Not the picks -which are essentially high second round picks in reality.

    Getting Alex Smith you are essentially cloning Mark Sanchez - so you duplicate your problem at QB. Instead of one lousy QB you have two, and no star defensive player anymore. What's the point? Then, adding a low first round unknown gamble for the first year. That is a downgrade. Alex Smith is Mark Sanchez with a really good cast around him.
    I don't get what you mean? Yournot helping them get rid of Smith, they will cut him the 1st week they can and not pay the guy a dime this year. Schien is the idiot that proposed the trade, no me. Big deal if the jets cut him in march, they don't have to pay him a dime either. It is not like Sanchez where his money is guaranteed no matter what. Smith's money is only guaranteed if he is on the roster in april.

    1st this is a rediculous trade. The 49ers can't afford him -period. And quit thinking that all you get is 2 late #1s

    Think of the trade this way, the jets get 2 draft picks pf the quality of pick 30 in this years draft go on a top 100 list and pick two players later than 30, yes you have to wait one year, But say this year you pick Barret Jones and
    DJ Fluker and fix the oline.

    Revis (with 15 mill cap hit) vs Fluker, (1 mil) Barret Jones,(1mil) Delanie Walker (4 mill) Landry (5.5 mil) Matt Moore (3.5 mill) total 15 mil

    You don't just fix 2 positions with the picks, you get to fix 3 more with the extra 13mil dollars

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    I love how people give Harbaugh the credit for developing Smith. Smith was putting it all together before Harbaugh got there and showing steady progression.

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/...416/alex-smith
    Was "putting it together" never cracking a .500 record in the pitiful NFC West with Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, an excellent OL and a stacked defense?

    Harbaugh is an excellent qb developer and did a great job with Kaepernick. Smith was garbage before Harbaugh and will be garbage after Harbaugh. I'd rather just stick with Suckchez or trade a mid-round pick for Flynn.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    That just isn't true. Smith was never the worst QB in the NFL.
    These are the same Jets fans who couldn't wait for the Jets to get rid of Favre after he had 22 ints in 2008. If Favre had stuck around for 1 more season with Rex Ryan coaching the D instead of Manboobs we probably win the Super Bowl in 2009.

    Jets fans' logic: Every Jets QB sucks and is easily surpassed by other teams' backups and our own 3rd string QB's like Rat/Clemens/Ainge

  7. #87
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Smith's first four years

    Sanchez's first four years.


    Don't really see the validity of comparing Smith's 7th year in the league to Sanchez's rookie and second years. Not that Sanchez is any good. But neither is Smith.
    As Cleansweep just pointed out, Smith had two seasons in which he posted a QB rating over 80 before Harbaugh even arrived.

    Sanchez has yet to even come close to that.

  8. #88
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,664
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    I love how people give Harbaugh the credit for developing Smith. Smith was putting it all together before Harbaugh got there and showing steady progression.

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/...416/alex-smith
    It took him to get to year 7 to show anything worthwhile.

  9. #89
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    As Cleansweep just pointed out, Smith had two seasons in which he posted a QB rating over 80 before Harbaugh even arrived.

    Sanchez has yet to even come close to that.
    He finally edged over 80 in his fourth year and it took to his 7th before he showed anything meaningful. You're comparing his 7th year to Sanchez's first and second.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Smith's first four years

    Sanchez's first four years.


    Don't really see the validity of comparing Smith's 7th year in the league to Sanchez's rookie and second years. Not that Sanchez is any good. But neither is Smith.
    What do you care that Smith took a long time to develop? What does his 1st four years mean? What does Sanchez first two years mean. nothing that was then this is now. Right now Smith is an average NFL QB, Sanchez is not.
    Smith's production is much better than average because he has a much better than average team, but it is not like he is Sanchez.

    But along that line, you dont have an issue comparing the two when Sanchez had the benefit of playing with a much better team than Smith did for his 1st 4 years.

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    He finally edged over 80 in his fourth year and it took to his 7th before he showed anything meaningful. You're comparing his 7th year to Sanchez's first and second.
    And Alex Smith had a good supporting cast in SF with Gore, Davis, Crabtree and a star-studded OL for a big chunk of that time.

    Mark Sanchez never had as good a supporting cast on offense than Alex Smith had his last 3-4 years in the NFL and you cannot compare Jim Harbaugh QB guru to duds like Brian Schittenheimer and Tony Soprano. Harbaugh and that star-studded offense would make Ryan Leaf look decent.

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    This

    Outside of Smith's craptastic rookie season, he's always been better than Sanchez.

    Even pre-Harbaugh
    No he wasn't, and the fact that you ignore the facts and the stats presented, just proves your irrational and baseless hatred for Sanchez.

    I have no problem with fans being upset about Sanchez regressing last year, and being an overall disappointment when it seemed he as on a path to be excited about after his first two years, but I just don't get what seems to be obsessive hatred for the player, and a complete unwillingness to debate not only the facts, but any discussion that quite possibly Sanchez could be saved by Mornhineg, just as Smith was by Harbaugh, a player that many Sanchez haters seem to support, which is all just mindboggling.

  13. #93
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,812
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    These are the same Jets fans who couldn't wait for the Jets to get rid of Favre after he had 22 ints in 2008. If Favre had stuck around for 1 more season with Rex Ryan coaching the D instead of Manboobs we probably win the Super Bowl in 2009.

    Jets fans' logic: Every Jets QB sucks and is easily surpassed by other teams' backups and our own 3rd string QB's like Rat/Clemens/Ainge
    Surely you understand that Favre was never coming back. He wanted to go to Minnesota but had to wait a year bc of the conditions of his trade. Not sure what this has to do with the Sanchez/Smith comparisons.

    Sanchez was the worst QB in the NFL this year who made the majority of his teams starts.

    Again, I am not claiming Smith will be a savior. I don't even want him. But he would be a clear upgrade at the position.

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    What do you care that Smith took a long time to develop? What does his 1st four years mean? What does Sanchez first two years mean. nothing that was then this is now. Right now Smith is an average NFL QB, Sanchez is not.
    Smith's production is much better than average because he has a much better than average team, but it is not like he is Sanchez.

    But along that line, you dont have an issue comparing the two when Sanchez had the benefit of playing with a much better team than Smith did for his 1st 4 years.
    Don't be nave

    Comparing Smith's career to Sanchez' first four years is completely valid, both top draft picks, both who had slow starts. In Sanchez, he started off far better than Smith, winning 4 playoff games, where Smith was a complete bust right away.

    Smith has finally put things together, still hasn't played to the potential of his draft selection, but is otherwise a solid NFL QB, it remains to be seen what Sanchez becomes, but it's not unfathomable that a change in offensive scheme and a complete commitment to the passing game, both in terms of philosophy as well as the supporting cast around him on the roster can help Sanchez as it seemed to do with Smith, they are both very valid, and very comparable, especially since Smith is a topic of discussion as a player that the Jets could consider bringing to the team as competition for Sanchez.

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Surely you understand that Favre was never coming back. He wanted to go to Minnesota but had to wait a year bc of the conditions of his trade. Not sure what this has to do with the Sanchez/Smith comparisons.

    Sanchez was the worst QB in the NFL this year who made the majority of his teams starts.

    Again, I am not claiming Smith will be a savior. I don't even want him. But he would be a clear upgrade at the position.
    Alex Smith with Chaz Schilens, Marty Gilyard and Clyde Gates/Cumby = Worst QB in the NFL



    The way you Jets fans overrate Alex Smith and Matt Moore reminds me of the bad ol' days when 95% of Jets fans were ready to induct Kellen Clemens and Brett Ratliff into Canton and kick Chad to the curb. At least Matt Flynn is an unknown commodity any half-way knowledgeable football fan knows Alex Smith is a mediocre game-manager and in no way an upgrade over Suckchez.

  16. #96
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,762
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Surely you understand that Favre was never coming back. He wanted to go to Minnesota but had to wait a year bc of the conditions of his trade. Not sure what this has to do with the Sanchez/Smith comparisons.

    Sanchez was the worst QB in the NFL this year who made the majority of his teams starts.

    Again, I am not claiming Smith will be a savior. I don't even want him. But he would be a clear upgrade at the position.
    +1

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Worse track? he improved just about every year.Sanchez was not better than smith, ever.. Are u just trying to twist the stats by looking at total yards, tds for 1st 4 years ? Mark played in 62 reg season games in 4 years, smith only 43 so yes marks total yards will be higher playing in 19 more games .Smith had qb rating over 80 twice before harbaugh got here, mark never hit 80. Smith climbed the ladder like many qbs do, mark fell off the ladder after 2 steps.. He can't read defenses at all, he just isn't smart enough to be a qb in the nfl.. I'm not saying smith is great, but he's def. better than mark Sanchez.
    You clearly have completely disregarded Smith's stats in his first 5 seasons.

    You are completely ignoring Sanchez' early success in the playoffs in his first two years, an accomplishment Smith didn't even sniff until Harbaugh, in Smith's 6th season.

    Definitely better than Sanchez? Sure, right now he might be, in his 8th year, but certainly NOT during his first 5 years.

  18. #98
    Keep Revis now
    Resign Revis after the season.
    Alex Smith is garbage! Damn a "stop gap"

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by endgameeugenics View Post
    Keep Revis now
    Resign Revis after the season.
    Alex Smith is garbage! Damn a "stop gap"
    +1

  20. #100
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,890
    WOW....
    do some of you hear yourselves?

    TWO first round picks AND a starting NFL QB that is better than Sanchez?

    And you would say no.....

    Thank God nobody here is running the Jets.
    Last edited by CanadaSteve; 02-12-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us