Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: qb options.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Oh, I though you meant cheaper, as in draft pick compensation.
    It'll be interesting to see if Reid has interest in acquiring Foles.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just wondering doesn't the WCO fit McElroy anyway? It seems like he would actually win the battle over Sanchez anyway.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    But if you get him in a trade you get his contract too. What is his contract #?

Not saying he is the answer or better option but Foles has more NFL game experience, is cheaper, knows Mornhinwegs system and Mornhinweg knows what Foles can and can't do
    Was Flynn drafted after the Rookie Cap? I have no idea, but thats why i was guesing his cap # would be a possibility. At least in comparison to a proven vet....

Just my .02 but im not high on many QB's coming out this year.

Also, im only guessing that Flynn has what....2 years left under contract? It would be good motivation for him, and a minimum risk to the jets, maybe.

EDIT: Oops, I think i was wrong.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Matt Flynn signed for 3 years / $19.50 million.

He'll make $5.25 million in 2013 and $6.25 in 2014.

Each year addition $2.0 million will count agianst the cap due to his prorated $6.0 million signing bounus.
    Thanks for this.....

Yeah, I like those Salary #'s for Flynn. Actually, with the 2 years left, i like that whole situation.

Make it happen Idzy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    The signing bonus proration only effects Seattle. The Matt Flynn scenario at QB is ideal for the Jets. 5 Million is cheap for your starting QB. Flynn has as much upside as anyone in this years draft and is more NFL ready. It really is a no brainer to get this guy particularly with Izdiks connections with Seattle.
    This. He is far and away the best option at QB. I will still draft one on the top guys to develop. That way you are covered in case of injury or worst case, trade bait in a few years like Schaub.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    The signing bonus proration only effects Seattle. The Matt Flynn scenario at QB is ideal for the Jets. 5 Million is cheap for your starting QB. Flynn has as much upside as anyone in this years draft and is more NFL ready. It really is a no brainer to get this guy particularly with Izdiks connections with Seattle.
    Yeah but it is a 5 mill base with incentives that can add another 4 or 5 to his salary. I think his deal was 3 years 19 mill, 6SB and 2mill guaranteed the first two years. But there was 10 mill of incentives that could push it to 29 mill.

5 mill is still a lot of money given the jets Salary constraints. The can ask him to convert 1/2 of it to incentives, and guarantee 2.5 mill of his 2014 salary.
    This way he only hits the jets cap for 2.5 this year, if Sanchez beats him out he still gets the same 5 mill just 1/2 of it a year later.

This is probably the best scenario a jet fan can hope for. A young QB with exp in the WCO. I think a fair trade would be Flynn and the Seahawks 3rd rd rd pick for the jets 3rd rd pick.

The seahawks get 4th rd value, but the jets still get to keep all 7 picks to fill out the roster.
    Last edited by patman; 02-14-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Was Flynn drafted after the Rookie Cap? I have no idea, but thats why i was guesing his cap # would be a possibility. At least in comparison to a proven vet....

Just my .02 but im not high on many QB's coming out this year.

Also, im only guessing that Flynn has what....2 years left under contract? It would be good motivation for him, and a minimum risk to the jets, maybe.

EDIT: Oops, I think i was wrong.
    Flynn was a 7th rd pick for the pack in the 08 draft..