Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patterson!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Patterson!

For those fans leery of taking an OG, or another defensive player, how would you feel about getting the best WR in the draft in Patterson?

Most Jets fans can't stand Holmes & we don't even know if he will be able to come back from his Liz Franc injury?

For S & Gs imagine a trade scenario that has Revis traded to the Vikes for Percy Harvin & their 1st, ( yea I know not likely but would you do Harvin & Vikes 2nd & a 3rd in 2014?)
    Lets face it Harvin will not be a Vike next year & getting Revis would be huge for their fan base.

Now with a new competent OC you have the potential of having a receiving core Patterson- Harvin - Kerley- Hill!
    With the 2, second round picks you have the opportunity to get a stud RB like Stepfan to team up with Powell & still be in the running for very good OG, or an OLB that falls, & build fan excitement by actually scoring some points.
    In that scenario, in 1 draft you have solidified your new offense heading into the 2014 season when you will have a clear cap, no crazy Revis contract to worry about, Sanchez off the books & can shore up the rest of the holes on D.
    Last edited by jetster; 02-12-2013 at 06:00 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who would be the QB in this scenario and how exactly do you come up with the cash to pay Harvin?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trading Revis for Harvin seems like a lot more sh-t than grin to me. I don't want another locker room headache coming in. If anything we need to reduce the drama.

I heard Weatherford on NFL Radio today talking about how happy he is on the Giants as compared to the Jets. Now these guys are ultimately paid to play football but it probably wouldn't hurt if the locker room was a more congenial place than it has been in the past few years.

As for drafting Patterson, it's not really a reach at 9, but I just don't think it's the right pick for the Jets right now. If it was a Megatron-type talent, yes, but I think WR is pretty far down our list of holes to fill. For starters, we have no running game and without that, another WR isn't going to help our passing game much.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We don't need Harvin we already have a bunch of slot WR. As for Patterson he is NOT the best WR in this draft Allen is. Patterson is very raw and needs a ton of work. Like Hill great size great ability but will drop a lot of passes. I'd even take Hopkins over him but WR is not that big of a need to waste a 1st on IMO unless we are trading down.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    We don't need Harvin we already have a bunch of slot WR. As for Patterson he is NOT the best WR in this draft Allen is. Patterson is very raw and needs a ton of work. Like Hill great size great ability but will drop a lot of passes. I'd even take Hopkins over him but WR is not that big of a need to waste a 1st on IMO unless we are trading down.
    Agreed. There isnt a Julio Jones or Justin Blackmon type WR prospect in this draft. Allen would be nice later in the first. The Jets if healthy could have Holmes, Hill, Kerley, Braylon and maybe a kid like Harper in the 5th round. Thats not a horrible group of receivers.

Hopkins is pro ready from day one. He made Boyd look great all season. Hopkins game against LSU last year was evidence of this. Kid made tough catch after tough catch all night. He can play slot or outside has good speed and fights for the ball.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i really like the idea of trading back and then taking a wr in the first.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are dismissing Harvin because we have Kerley and White? Come on man.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Kerley and Holmes. Harvin would be a real mistake. Give me a guy like Wallace in the mix and it might make some sense, but the Jets can't afford him either. Draft - 3rd/4th/5th round.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Kerley and Holmes. Harvin would be a real mistake. Give me a guy like Wallace in the mix and it might make some sense, but the Jets can't afford him either. Draft - 3rd/4th/5th round.
    Since when has Holmes been strictly a slot receiver? Harvin is light years better than Holmes or Kerley. I won't dispute that we probably can't get the guy for a lot of reasons but to say we have slots thus we don't want him is bizarre.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since when has Holmes been strictly a slot receiver? Harvin is light years better than Holmes or Kerley. I won't dispute that we probably can't get the guy for a lot of reasons but to say we have slots thus we don't want him is bizarre.
    I'm looking at it from a cost-benefit point of view. We're stuck with Holmes and Kerley is developing nicely. Holmes has to be included as a dimension of the slot, that's all. What we need is a vertical threat with good hands. Wallace would add a whole new dimension to our WR core. Harvin would add to an existing dimension marginally. Not a good investment, unless Holmes were gone.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He has never even made 1k yards in this league. I seriously don't get it. He is short, has health issue, wants more money then he is worth, and is not a viable #1 which is what we need. Way more red flags then I would want in a WR right now. If that was the missing piece on a PO team fine but this team no. Yeah I'll dismiss him because of Kerley alone. Kerley looks good no where near our biggest issue. Why replace him? I just don't think Harvin is all that much better. Spending big money on him would be just anther bad WR move IMO. Why would we continue to overpay for guys that other teams no longer?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He has never even made 1k yards in this league. I seriously don't get it. He is short, has health issue, wants more money then he is worth, and is not a viable #1 which is what we need. Way more red flags then I would want in a WR right now. If that was the missing piece on a PO team fine but this team no. Yeah I'll dismiss him because of Kerley alone. Kerley looks good no where near our biggest issue. Why replace him? I just don't think Harvin is all that much better. Spending big money on him would be just anther bad WR move IMO. Why would we continue to overpay for guys that other teams no longer?
    Harvin is a freaking beast when healthy.
    Guy is lightning in a bottle.
    Vikings have no clue how to use him. Something tells me Marty would not have that problem
    Give Harvin Holmes money after we cut him after next year.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Vikings have no clue how to use him. Something tells me Marty would not have that problem
    +1 agreed...

Slot Receiver???? Are you kidding me?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll say this right now, I think Patterson is the pick. I want Jordan but he'll be gone as will my other picks in Moore, Milliner (sorry but Revis aint coming back) and Star-Lo. Cordarrelle is going to be a monster

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Just say no

Patterson is an immature headcase - just what the Jets need. And he's dumber than a bag of rocks.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/...s-taunting-in/

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Egbert Souse View Post
    Patterson is an immature headcase - just what the Jets need. And he's dumber than a bag of rocks.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/...s-taunting-in/
    So he's a headcase for getting a taunting penalty in college which would not be called in the NFL? thanks, got it

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Patterson IMO would be a great fit for a WCO. Harvin would just take up what Holmes cap number would be next year. But to me Wr is like the icing on a cake, the last thing to be added. I think the focus should be on the big uglies as they are involved in 100% of the plays every game, both running and passing, then the focus should be on the RBs. before you get to the guys touching the ball 8 times a game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Patterson IMO would be a great fit for a WCO. Harvin would just take up what Holmes cap number would be next year. But to me Wr is like the icing on a cake, the last thing to be added. I think the focus should be on the big uglies as they are involved in 100% of the plays every game, both running and passing, then the focus should be on the RBs. before you get to the guys touching the ball 8 times a game.
    I just don't see the need for a WR taken in the first right now considering our other needs :pass rushing OLB (first and foremost), RB etc

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Yes. Harvin is a very gifted athlete and he's much more than "just a slot" WR. He can do just about anything you would ask a WR to do.

Patterson, while very raw, is also a very gifted athlete. I would be very happy if the Jets drafted him... but he will take some time to be what we need him to be. Although, there really isn't anyone else like him in the league. His agility and moves in the open field are similar to a player much smaller than he is.

But there isn't any reason for the Jets need to add both of these players. Overkill.