Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: All's very quiet at Floram Park

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    We hired a new GM who came to our team with very little knowledge of the inner working of the team or it's players. It would have been presumpteous (sp) to start by making moves without taking an inventory of what is currently on board.

I believe and i could be wrong, that the new GM is assesing the roster before taking any action. At his intro new conference he told us that no decisions would be made until he had an opportunity to examine the roster and what was the desires of the coaching staff.

Thus far, the guy is sticking to his script. Once he has a working knowledge of the Jets, we will begin to reshape this franchise.
    I think you hit the nail on the head. I like what I don't hear.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Where has Rex been? He usually would show up at the SB and do some interviews. Maybe Idzik has him on lock down or maybe Rex finally realized that his act has gotten old. Either way I am happy. The less we hear from these guys the better.
    It is because he has nothing to run around and brag about. He cant go around saying how smart he is now that the team is in the shape it is in. He has no brash proclamations or predictions, just his record for the past two seasons. Nobody (except for a handful of posters around here) want to hear Rex talk about AFCCG appearances from years ago.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    Please. Watching my cat take a sh!t is more exciting than golf.

Nascar I'll give you. Soccer too, although I enjoy the World Cup.
    Back 9 at Augusta on Sunday is some of the most compelling sports on TV.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any week without a herp-a-derp Rex Ryan press conference is a good week.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Where has Rex been? He usually would show up at the SB and do some interviews. Maybe Idzik has him on lock down or maybe Rex finally realized that his act has gotten old. Either way I am happy. The less we hear from these guys the better.
    + infinity just shut up and do your job talk to me after you won your game on Sunday.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Its nice not being on the ESPN ticker. But I wouldn't mind seeing a "Jets cut Tebow" headline soon
    He is going to be a speaker down here near me for men's church weekenders retreat. Wish I could go so I could tell him to stay and give idzik a chance who said their will be open qb competition.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
    I can't remember it being this quiet from Floram Park since Rex was hired. Is this a sign John Idzik is in full control? I expect this is the calm before the storm.
    Also where is Sanchez? New OC and QB coach and he hasn't commented. Still in hiding licking his wounds. Definitely not a leader. Too soft to be in the NFL!
    It would be a very good thing if John Idzik has managed to fire/gag any of the people constantly leaking information. If these people constantly want to talk about private sh*t to the media, at least be a man and put your name on it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Back 9 at Augusta on Sunday is some of the most compelling sports on TV.
    I'll just have to take your word for it. I'm not watching that coma-inducing garbage.

Oh and I should also point out that I don't consider it a sport. There's nothing athletic about it. It is a game, like horseshoes or bocce.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll just have to take your word for it. I'm not watching that coma-inducing garbage.

Oh and I should also point out that I don't consider it a sport. There's nothing athletic about it. It is a game, like horseshoes or bocce.
    You have obviously never played golf. I have played many sports in my life. Baseball, football, basketball, tennis, handball, etc. Golf is by far the hardest.

Golf is easy to play, but VERY difficult to play well. In other sports, every once in a while your opponent will screw up and you will win a point. In tennis they even track unforced errors as a stat. In golf you are playing against yourself in a SPORT that has an unforgiving margin for error.

The people who bash golf either have not played, or are not ATHLETIC enough or mentally tough enough to play it well.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    You have obviously never played golf. I have played many sports in my life. Baseball, football, basketball, tennis, handball, etc. Golf is by far the hardest.

Golf is easy to play, but VERY difficult to play well. In other sports, every once in a while your opponent will screw up and you will win a point. In tennis they even track unforced errors as a stat. In golf you are playing against yourself in a SPORT that has an unforgiving margin for error.

The people who bash golf either have not played, or are not ATHLETIC enough or mentally tough enough to play it well.
    I've played golf several times. It can be amusing in spurts, but it is not a sport. 70 year-old men can play it, and compete against younger men. Sports require athletic ability. Golf doesn't. It requires skill, but not athleticism.

It's no different than bowling or darts. Both of which are not sports, either. They're games.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've played golf several times. It can be amusing in spurts, but it is not a sport. 70 year-old men can play it, and compete against younger men. Sports require athletic ability. Golf doesn't. It requires skill, but not athleticism.

It's no different than bowling or darts. Both of which are not sports, either. They're games.
    However, it requires what all sports require to be successful, consistency. Most can play a few holes well, try 18, week in, week out.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    However, it requires what all sports require to be successful, consistency. Most can play a few holes well, try 18, week in, week out.
    To be good at anything requires consistency. Doesn't make it a sport.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be good at anything requires consistency. Doesn't make it a sport.
    Brett Hull, Hall of Fame and two-time Stanley Cup winning former National Hockey League (NHL) player, stated the following in an article by Peter McCleery titled "Are Golfers Really Athletes?," published May 2, 2007 in Golf Digest:
    "Sure it's a sport. People don't understand what it takes to be an elite athlete in any sport. To me the mental preparation and toughness in golf blows away what it takes in any sport. Just because golfers don't wear running shoes and don't run down the fairway doesn't mean they aren't athletes.''

I guess it's just a matter of perspective...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    True. Golf can be the most frustrating of all sports to play. It is also one of the most addictive. The swing can come and go in a matter of minutes. Just when you think you have it, it disappears.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was Secretariat an athlete?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    Brett Hull, Hall of Fame and two-time Stanley Cup winning former National Hockey League (NHL) player, stated the following in an article by Peter McCleery titled "Are Golfers Really Athletes?," published May 2, 2007 in Golf Digest:
    "Sure it's a sport. People don't understand what it takes to be an elite athlete in any sport. To me the mental preparation and toughness in golf blows away what it takes in any sport. Just because golfers don't wear running shoes and don't run down the fairway doesn't mean they aren't athletes.''

I guess it's just a matter of perspective...
    Public speaking, and performing surgery both require mental preparation as well. I guess Brett Hull considers them to be sports too.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Public speaking, and performing surgery both require mental preparation as well. I guess Brett Hull considers them to be sports too.
    sport
    noun
    an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
    a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.
    diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was just trying to balance the discussion with a differing point of view from someone who we all would acknowledge as a great athlete.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    sport
    noun
    an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
    a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.
    diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.
    By that definition, you can call anything a sport.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    I was just trying to balance the discussion with a differing point of view from someone who we all would acknowledge as a great athlete.
    Great athlete, yes.

Right in this regard, no.