Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: New Story: Keep Him or let Him Go: Dustin Keller

  1. #21
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    1,073
    Post Thanks / Like

    The more important point is what his value to the Jets?

    Keller has lost most of his leverage when it comes time to negotiate with us or any other team. He’s demonstrated to be nothing more than an average player so far. That could change if he had an opportunity to play with a top-10 QB, but most have solid TEs right now. Most reasonable Jets fans would agree that Keller is above average TE who has made (and not made) several key plays. Most frustration comes when he actually catches the ball and is immediately taken down by initial contact.

    See a list below that I pulled from NFL.com. They listed him at 20, which someone could argue a few spots, but that is improving to middle of the pack at best. Not including this year, he averaged 50 receptions (with approximately 8 over 20 yards), 580 yard and 3 TD’s a year. Even if those numbers were cut in half next year, it wouldn’t have a significant impact on our offense. Especially if his replacement can actually block!

    1. Rob Gronkowski, NE - TE
    2. Jimmy Graham, NO - TE
    3. Aaron Hernandez, NE - TE
    4. Jason Witten, DAL - TE
    5. Tony Gonzalez, ATL - TE
    6. Dennis Pitta, BAL - TE
    7. Vernon Davis, SF - TE
    8. Kyle Rudolph, MIN - TE
    9. Greg Olsen, CAR - TE
    10. Owen Daniels, HOU - TE
    11. Brandon Myers, OAK - TE
    12. Jermaine Gresham, CIN - TE
    13. Fred Davis, WAS - TE
    14. Jermichael Finley, GB - TE
    15. Antonio Gates, SD - TE
    16. Heath Miller, PIT - TE
    17. Martellus Bennett, NYG - TE
    18. Brandon Pettigrew, DET - TE
    19. Jared Cook, TEN - TE
    20. Dustin Keller, NYJ - TE

  2. #22
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,952
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyan66 View Post
    Keller has lost most of his leverage when it comes time to negotiate with us or any other team. He’s demonstrated to be nothing more than an average player so far. That could change if he had an opportunity to play with a top-10 QB, but most have solid TEs right now. Most reasonable Jets fans would agree that Keller is above average TE who has made (and not made) several key plays. Most frustration comes when he actually catches the ball and is immediately taken down by initial contact.

    See a list below that I pulled from NFL.com. They listed him at 20, which someone could argue a few spots, but that is improving to middle of the pack at best. Not including this year, he averaged 50 receptions (with approximately 8 over 20 yards), 580 yard and 3 TD’s a year. Even if those numbers were cut in half next year, it wouldn’t have a significant impact on our offense. Especially if his replacement can actually block!

    1. Rob Gronkowski, NE - TE
    2. Jimmy Graham, NO - TE
    3. Aaron Hernandez, NE - TE
    4. Jason Witten, DAL - TE
    5. Tony Gonzalez, ATL - TE
    6. Dennis Pitta, BAL - TE
    7. Vernon Davis, SF - TE
    8. Kyle Rudolph, MIN - TE
    9. Greg Olsen, CAR - TE
    10. Owen Daniels, HOU - TE
    11. Brandon Myers, OAK - TE
    12. Jermaine Gresham, CIN - TE
    13. Fred Davis, WAS - TE
    14. Jermichael Finley, GB - TE
    15. Antonio Gates, SD - TE
    16. Heath Miller, PIT - TE
    17. Martellus Bennett, NYG - TE
    18. Brandon Pettigrew, DET - TE
    19. Jared Cook, TEN - TE
    20. Dustin Keller, NYJ - TE
    Not that I agree with the list but the Bold ones are FAs as well. Without even adding guys like Dallas Clark, Anthony Fasano, Dante Rosario, and Benjamin Watson. Just saying we have options without overpaying is all.

  3. #23
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midland Park, NJ
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    It all comes down to money. If he's willing to take a cap friendly deal then bring him back. If not, let him walk

  4. #24
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want a TE who can block and who i know will catch the ball if it hits his hands. To Me that guy played at Alabama and gets no respect because he doesn't run like Dustin Keller.


    That's the kind of TE that allows you to win big games . He not flashy, he just does what's neccessary.

    Draft Michael Williams.

  5. #25
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midland Park, NJ
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    I want a TE who can block and who i know will catch the ball if it hits his hands. To Me that guy played at Alabama and gets no respect because he doesn't run like Dustin Keller.


    That's the kind of TE that allows you to win big games . He not flashy, he just does what's neccessary.

    Draft Michael Williams.
    Williams might as well add weight and be a back up tackle. Too slow for the NFL

  6. #26
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,070
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keller is so average it's not even funny. I would look elsewhere.

  7. #27
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    Williams might as well add weight and be a back up tackle. Too slow for the NFL
    A kid that was a big part of a national championship team playing in the toughest conference at his level is too slow to play in the NFL. I bet they told him he wasn't good enough to beat any of the seniors at the Senior bowl either.

    All i know is the kid blocks and catches the football. Last time i checked, that was the Job of an NFL TE.

  8. #28
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midland Park, NJ
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    A kid that was a big part of a national championship team playing in the toughest conference at his level is too slow to play in the NFL. I bet they told him he wasn't good enough to beat any of the seniors at the Senior bowl either.

    All i know is the kid blocks and catches the football. Last time i checked, that was the Job of an NFL TE.
    You're right

    Care to share what you think of McElroy too?

    The only players worthy of a starting role from the Alabama program are their offensive linemen and defensive linemen

  9. #29
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    You're right

    Care to share what you think of McElroy too?

    The only players worthy of a starting role from the Alabama program are their offensive linemen and defensive linemen
    Since you asked, i will. I think if you put him behind an OL capable of allowing 2 RBs to rush for almost 300 yards say in a game against the Bills, he won't throw 5 ints and cost you the game.


    But that's just me.

  10. #30
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,908
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Ummm, last year was the only year Keller missed any games due to injury.

    Hardly a guy you can say "can't stay healthy".
    I guess because he may be leaving the Jets, you can start saying nice things about him.

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to see Keller come back but only at the right price. He's never been much of a blocker, and therefore, never been a complete TE. More one dimensional than anything else.

    Still, he's always proved to be a reliable target for Sanchez and will make a big play here and there.

    In the end, anyone who's thinking that Keller should get top dollar is just plain crazy. Jets should offer him a contract but only at a price that is friendly with the salary cap and in line for the type of player he is.

  12. #32
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,221
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's probably better than he looks. Lackluster QB play hasn't helped him.

    That said, show him the door. He's soft. The guy played scared against the Ravens (as did his bf Sanchez). You don't want guys like that on your team.

  13. #33
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    2,329
    Post Thanks / Like
    one thing to consider is how do/will Keller fit into the new offense. One could argue that he fits in Martys offense better then any other offense we have had before.

    If Sporano was coming back then I would definitely not pay for him. He was a bad fit for that.

    I think he tests the market but in the end may end up coming back. I think his agent is going to ask to much but the value wont be there.

    Remember we tried to workout a deal before the year began but nothing developed.

  14. #34
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,516
    Post Thanks / Like
    To hell with Keller

    Give me a TE with prototypical TE size (around 6'5 or 6'6 260+) who can be a threat in the redzone and can actually block.

    I wouldn't mind bringing in someone like Martellus Bennett.

  15. #35
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    West Philly
    Posts
    94
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation

    I don't think Keller is worth what he might be asking for but if he were healthy and were on a team like the Pats or say Denver, he's be a much better TE and his numbers would show that. The Jets just have a lousy QB who'd make any TE in the league look like crap.

  16. #36
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    To hell with Keller

    Give me a TE with prototypical TE size (around 6'5 or 6'6 260+) who can be a threat in the redzone and can actually block.

    I wouldn't mind bringing in someone like Martellus Bennett.
    The thing is Keller will end up being the cheaper option. Keller's in the same exact situation that Laron Landry was in last year. Keller will cost the Jets a 1 yr deal at around a couple mil versus giving a more well rounded TE like Bennet who is coming off a pretty good season a bigger deal.

    Jets need to get rid of Cumby and get a #2 TE who can block like they had back in the day with guys like Hartsock and Becht.

  17. #37
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Upstate, NY
    Posts
    580
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Keller goes as free agent, I can see him signing with the Atlanta Falcons now that Tony Gonzalez is retiring. They use their TE effectively and he could have a successful career there playing in a dome as well.
    If he comes in at the 3 million suggested I am all for it. I think it will be interesting to see how Idzik builds his offense.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us