Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superbowl Saturday? It's possible!

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images

Superbowl Saturday? It's possible!

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...p-plans-report

Report: NFL mulling storm plans
    By Mike Mazzeo
    Special to ESPNNewYork.com

The NFL, preparing for the possibility of bad weather hitting the New York/New Jersey region on Super Bowl XLVIII game day, is exploring playing the game on a Saturday or delaying it for several days, according to a published report.
    "We have to look at all the angles: storm arriving day-of-game, storm arriving prior to game, storm arriving after game," a source told the Sports Business Journal.

Super Bowl XLVIII is slated to be played on Feb. 2, 2014, at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. It will be the first Super Bowl ever held in an open-air stadium in a cold-weather region.

As the report points out, rescheduling the game, however, could create myriad problems for fans, who might be forced to reschedule flights and extend/cancel hotel stays.

"As we do for every Super Bowl, we have been planning for all possibilities and are creating various contingency plans to deal with each potential situation," an NFL spokesperson wrote in an email to ESPNNewYork.com, adding that the league would not comment on specifics so far in advance of the game.

Mike Mazzeo is a regular contributor to ESPNNewYork.com.

Hall Of Fame
    LOL..Did they do research and find out that it is less likely to snow on a Saturday than a Sunday?? What difference does it make what day they schedule it on? If it snows, it snows.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL..Did they do research and find out that it is less likely to snow on a Saturday than a Sunday?? What difference does it make what day they schedule it on? If it snows, it snows.
    that's not what the article is implying. if the forecast says a storm is coming sunday, they can play it saturday. or if a snow storm hits saturday night or sunday morning they will move it back.

All Pro
    I think superbowl should be on a saturday anyway so people can have a day to recover before workweek starts

The Super Bowl belongs on Saturday. Folks could stay out later in bars, restaurants or at parties, then get a day to recover instead of going to work.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    I think superbowl should be on a saturday anyway so people can have a day to recover before workweek starts
    Or play it over Presidents weekend. Monday would be holiday anyway, so everyone wins.

Jets Insider VIP
    This whole thing is so ****ing stupid. People go to football games in the snow all the time. They can't dick around these ticketholders by moving the dates forward or back, people have hotels and rental cars to pay for.

Idiots.

All League
    the Superbowl is so much more than the game. It should always be a warm weather event. It is a fun mini-vacation get away. I went to 10 SuperBowls. the only one that sucked was in Minnesota. It was in the teens and everything closed early.

Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    the Superbowl is so much more than the game. It should always be a warm weather event. It is a fun mini-vacation get away. I went to 10 SuperBowls. the only one that sucked was in Minnesota. It was in the teens and everything closed early.
    Couldn't disagree more. It's the pinnacle of the sport. How QBs are judged "elite" and if careers are HOF worthy... yet we alter the playing field to benefit teams built for fair weather or domes? Just to appease fans who want little vacations as well? Wtf, go see the pro bowl if yu want a vacation. The Superbowl should be the ultimate game. Not watered down for weak fans.

There have been lots of memorable playoff games in the snow. Why not the Super Bowl? Since the vast majority of fans including myself don't actually go to the game I don't see why any of us should care whether or not the people who are going get to have warm weather. Heck maybe it will let the prices on tickets come down a little if less people are interested in going because of the weather.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Not everyone has Presidents day off, or Saturday for that matter, but I think it would become more fun if it were on a Saturday, maybe even if the Jets weren't in the game. More drinking, eating, yelling, fighting this would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike135 View Post
    Couldn't disagree more. It's the pinnacle of the sport. How QBs are judged "elite" and if careers are HOF worthy... yet we alter the playing field to benefit teams built for fair weather or domes? Just to appease fans who want little vacations as well? Wtf, go see the pro bowl if yu want a vacation. The Superbowl should be the ultimate game. Not watered down for weak fans.
    Please "fans", you got to be kidding me, they are probably not more than 25,000 hard core fans at the game. The super bowl is how teams and the league pay back their sponsors. Average season ticket holders would rather have the superbowl as a vacation topper.

NYC is a nice spot for a long weekend, but not in February. I think "Average" fans will fly in for the game the day before and fly out the next day.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

This news is like hearing about an Oscar after-party changing locations.

Impact on my life: None.

Totally agree. It really diminishes the event in my mind. You can't have a party on a Sunday with kids going to school and adults going to work. If it was Saturday night everyone could really enjoy a party with friends/family. At the very least, it should be a 2:00 game.

In February of 2007 the Colts played the Bears in a down pour in Miami, but we might have to reschedule the Super Bowl because of snow? Give me a break.

Will the pussification of this country stop?

Wow, some of you aren't just whiney sojfs, you are just whiners. The nfl is just making plans in case a major storm comes and they can't play on Sunday. Some of you are the same that would complain if something happened and the nfl DIDN'T make contingency plans.

Remember, this isn't just a regular season game.they need to have a big halftime show etc...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    No it isn't, it's a corporate extravaganza that has everything to do with making money - even the commercials are an 'event', and nothing to do with actual football fans. It needs to be more about football and less about everything else. Somehow we lucked out this year with a real game despite the NFl's efforts. If you want a vacation in a warm spot, go there and pretend there was a football game you couldn't get into and do everything else you would have.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Wow, some of you aren't just whiney sojfs, you are just whiners. The nfl is just making plans in case a major storm comes and they can't play on Sunday. Some of you are the same that would complain if something happened and the nfl DIDN'T make contingency plans.

Remember, this isn't just a regular season game.they need to have a big halftime show etc...
    At this point they could do a virtual halftime show from somewhere else, it doesn't have to be on the field. Then you wouldn't have to make it longer to accommodate trucking the stage and amps in and out etc

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike135 View Post
    Weak fan?? LMAO, yeah, that's why I went to the super bowl - I was a weak fan.
    It was 10 wonderful years with my 2 brothers and father. We did the NFL Experience on all day Saturday. Weak fans like to do that too! Had great dinners at top restaurants each evening. Took in a memorable game each time. Bonded.
    But, I am a weak fan. OK - I would not have traded that experience for anything. The weather being warm made it perfect to get around and have a fantastic time and enjoy an equally great experience and game.
    Last edited by PocketJet; 02-12-2013 at 07:31 PM.

All League
    No it isn't, it's a corporate extravaganza that has everything to do with making money - even the commercials are an 'event', and nothing to do with actual football fans. It needs to be more about football and less about everything else. Somehow we lucked out this year with a real game despite the NFl's efforts. If you want a vacation in a warm spot, go there and pretend there was a football game you couldn't get into and do everything else you would have.
    yeah, that's it. I guess you never went to one