Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: Do we really need Revis for big bucks?

  1. #21
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,662
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Assuming we lose Laron Landry to FA (which we probably will)

    Next season do you want Kyle Wilson and Cro to cover:

    Julio Jones and Roddy White

    Colston and Jimmy Graham

    Welker and Gronk (2x)


    I don't.
    No, but we're not beating the Saints, Falcons or NE with Revs either. Not unless we can score some points which I am not going to assume we can.

  2. #22
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pass defense rating is misleading in a number of ways. One, most teams ran the ball against us for two reasons - 1. We weren't stout against the run and 2. They had leads on us and ran out the clock. - Also, Cromartie is not going to have as good a year as he did last year again. He's flaky. Don't get me wrong, he's a good Cornerback, but he's not great.

    However, if a consistent pass rush is attained - and we need a consistent edge rusher at OLB to do so - then we should be fine and able to compete for a championship. Will the pass defense ever be the same again without Revis? No, but could we win a championship without him? Abso-freaking-utley. Just look at Baltimore. They lost Webb, a top five CB, and won the Super Bowl not because of their awesome CB play (Williams had a couple of playoff INT's but was burned time and time again all season), but because of their pass rush - the return of Suggs and the emergence of Kruger.

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,320
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    The pass defense rating is misleading in a number of ways. One, most teams ran the ball against us for two reasons - 1. We weren't stout against the run and 2. They had leads on us and ran out the clock. - Also, Cromartie is not going to have as good a year as he did last year again. He's flaky. Don't get me wrong, he's a good Cornerback, but he's not great.

    However, if a consistent pass rush is attained - and we need a consistent edge rusher at OLB to do so - then we should be fine and able to compete for a championship. Will the pass defense ever be the same again without Revis? No, but could we win a championship without him? Abso-freaking-utley. Just look at Baltimore. They lost Webb, a top five CB, and won the Super Bowl not because of their awesome CB play (Williams had a couple of playoff INT's but was burned time and time again all season), but because of their pass rush - the return of Suggs and the emergence of Kruger.
    The Ravens pass rush had almost nothing to do with them winning the Super Bowl. Their defense had almost nothing to do with winning the Super Bowl.

    They won the Super Bowl because Flacco put together the best 8 game stretch of his career, Boldin turned into a slower Calvin Johnson, Jacoby Jones was the best return man in the league, and Justin Tucker, a rookie kicker, only missed 3 FGs all season for a team that won 6 games by 3 points or less.

  4. #24
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    YOU wake up! You're not even talking about the right contract.

    The actual contract that you refer to as "massively overpaid" was Nnamdi Asomogha's contract with the Raiders. A senile Al Davis gave Aso a 3 year 45 million dollar contract. A contract averaging 15 million per season.

    THAT's the massively overpaid contract that he got. NOT the contract he got from the Eagles. The contract he got from was slightly overpaying Nnamdi even at that time when he was considered one of the best corners in the game along with Revis. But when you get someone through FA many teams will overpay.

    Aso's Eagles contract was MUCH more in line with fair market value and you could expect Revis to want more than the 12.5 million per average Aso is currently getting in Philly.

    And as we have already established, Revis is miles better than Aso will ever be.

    If the Jets want to keep Revis, and I hope they do, they will have to back up the brinks truck. Simple as that.
    Wrong. BOTH contracts were massive overpayment. Just ask EITHER team if they would pay that money again and BOTH of them would tell you no I think. They did not get what they were paying for. Just ask the Jets if, looking back they would sign up again for Revis at his current current given where we were at that time and where we are now. They would tell you no.

    The market for premiere cornerbacks has dropped significantly and rightly so. Darrelle Revis cannot expect to get paid like the madness of prior years. If he does expect that then let him find one other fool amongst the other 31 teams. This is especially true given that he is coming off serious injury where the buyer does not know what they are getting.

    Revis got millions of dollars for nothing last year. The risks are not the same for a buyer this time around. Just ask anyone who was flooded by Sandy how much flood insurance is going to cost them this year.

    People need to get off his jock and start thinking in terms of the entire team. You are not thinking that way it seems to me.
    Last edited by EM31; 02-13-2013 at 07:45 AM.

  5. #25
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    The Ravens pass rush had almost nothing to do with them winning the Super Bowl. Their defense had almost nothing to do with winning the Super Bowl.

    They won the Super Bowl because Flacco put together the best 8 game stretch of his career, Boldin turned into a slower Calvin Johnson, Jacoby Jones was the best return man in the league, and Justin Tucker, a rookie kicker, only missed 3 FGs all season for a team that won 6 games by 3 points or less.
    Really? The Ravens defense had nothing to do with them winning the Super Bowl? Zero touchdowns by Indianapolis? Shutting out the best offense in football for 30 minutes and allowing them a single touchdown (NE)? Getting two INT's off of Peyton Manning? - Take away that lucky heave by Flacco and they're eliminated right there and then. Six points in the first 35 minutes against SF?

    Give me a break.

  6. #26
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,320
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Really? The Ravens defense had nothing to do with them winning the Super Bowl? Zero touchdowns by Indianapolis? Shutting out the best offense in football for 30 minutes and allowing them a single touchdown (NE)? Getting two INT's off of Peyton Manning? - Take away that lucky heave by Flacco and they're eliminated right there and then. Six points in the first 35 minutes against SF?

    Give me a break.
    They gave up more than 400 yards and 25 first downs per game. That's really bad. And if you believe that 80-90% of turnovers are offensive mistakes, like I do, then they don't get credit for "forcing" turnovers either.

    Even if you account for turnovers, their net adjusted yards allowed is still below-average for every game except for the Wild Card round against a Colts team, who, despite their record, were not actually good.


    It's the 2nd year in a row that a team that could barely be considered top 10 won the Super Bowl. Don't confuse winning a single elimination tournament with being the best team.

  7. #27
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Wrong. BOTH contracts were massive overpayment. Just ask EITHER team if they would pay that money again and BOTH of them would tell you no I think. They did not get what they were paying for. Just ask the Jets if, looking back they would sign up again for Revis at his current current given where we were at that time and where we are now. They would tell you no.

    The market for premiere cornerbacks has dropped significantly and rightly so. Darrelle Revis cannot expect to get paid like the madness of prior years. If he does expect that then let him find one other fool amongst the other 31 teams. This is especially true given that he is coming off serious injury where the buyer does not know what they are getting.

    Revis got millions of dollars for nothing last year. The risks are not the same for a buyer this time around. Just ask anyone who was flooded by Sandy how much flood insurance is going to cost them this year.

    People need to get off his jock and start thinking in terms of the entire team. You are not thinking that way it seems to me.
    Of course they would because he didn't play up to the value of the contract. But the second contract was FAR less than the first. The second was a slight overpayment (because they had to overpay a FA), but certainly not a massive one like you'd like to claim.

    And bullsh*t to your question about the Jets. What they paid Revis was commensurate with what the top corners in the game were getting at that point in time. That was also 3 seasons ago. The Jets would certainly still pay Revis what they did. He's the only f*cking player on the roster that has ALWAYS been worth it.

    And why don't you explain to me how the market for premiere CB's has gone down? HOW exactly does that happen?

    And WHO might be the other premiere CB's you are referring to. There's no CB in the NFL that's anywhere near the level of Revis. So I guess I haven't the faintest idea what you might be referring to.

    I'll give you that teams should be concerned about how well Revis comes back from the torn ACL, but that is only a one season discount. And lets make it clear right now, Revis will return to top notch form. Like the injury never even occurred.

    The comparison between Revis and flood insurance has got to the dumbest thing I have seen on this board in a long time. You should know better..

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Of course they would because he didn't play up to the value of the contract. But the second contract was FAR less than the first. The second was a slight overpayment (because they had to overpay a FA), but certainly not a massive one like you'd like to claim.

    And bullsh*t to your question about the Jets. What they paid Revis was commensurate with what the top corners in the game were getting at that point in time. That was also 3 seasons ago. The Jets would certainly still pay Revis what they did. He's the only f*cking player on the roster that has ALWAYS been worth it.

    And why don't you explain to me how the market for premiere CB's has gone down? HOW exactly does that happen?

    And WHO might be the other premiere CB's you are referring to. There's no CB in the NFL that's anywhere near the level of Revis. So I guess I haven't the faintest idea what you might be referring to.

    I'll give you that teams should be concerned about how well Revis comes back from the torn ACL, but that is only a one season discount. And lets make it clear right now, Revis will return to top notch form. Like the injury never even occurred.

    The comparison between Revis and flood insurance has got to the dumbest thing I have seen on this board in a long time. You should know better..
    We had him over a barrel three years ago and we caved. We paid him what, 16 million per year for two years and this year a little less? No he did not live up to that because he spent a year riding a stationary bike. The Jets p1ssed a full year's money down the drain and how much did it really hurt if we were still at or near the top in terms of pass defense league wide.

    Revis is worth 10, maybe 11 and no more.

    You need to wake up and figure out the he is not worth 13% of the entire NY Jets team salary cap all on his own. That is a stupid position frankly. He is a cornerback.... a freakin cornerback!

    There is ZERO assurance that he will ever be 100% back to what he was. Maybe so and maybe not.

  9. #29
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,176
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    We had him over a barrel three years ago and we caved. We paid him what, 16 million per year for two years and this year a little less? No he did not live up to that because he spent a year riding a stationary bike. The Jets p1ssed a full year's money down the drain and how much did it really hurt if we were still at or near the top in terms of pass defense league wide.

    Revis is worth 10, maybe 11 and no more.

    You need to wake up and figure out the he is not worth 13% of the entire NY Jets team salary cap all on his own. That is a stupid position frankly. He is a cornerback.... a freakin cornerback!

    There is ZERO assurance that he will ever be 100% back to what he was. Maybe so and maybe not.
    A little less = 7 mil per year in final two years, that isn't a little that is a lot less.

    The statement "pissed a year of money away" is just stupid, sure, Revis was lost for year, injuries happen, that doesn't make the contract they gave him any worse, which I think you're implying.

    I agree that the Jets can't write an open check, but Revis will be worth top CB money, he is a franchise player, and the only risk is on his health, however, given his work ethic, his competitiveness as a player who strives to be the best, I have little doubt he will return to form and sooner rather than later.

    Jets are in a tough spot, I have no doubt they are hedging both sides of the fence, IMO, they will consider trading him, but the offer has to knock their socks off, a game changer, a deal that would give the Jets a very big return, multiple picks and maybe a player, it would have to put the Jets on the fast track to truly add good talent at the top of the draft over the next two years with multiple picks in the top two rounds.

    They will have the entire FA period to evaluate offers and the market for Revis, as well as consider a new contract offer that will undoubtedly have built in insurance after the first year, bonuses that won't kick in until after he has proven himself after a year, and will be conducive to a new cap structure that will allow the Jets to rebuild and replenish around him without breaking the bank.

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    A little less = 7 mil per year in final two years, that isn't a little that is a lot less.

    The statement "pissed a year of money away" is just stupid, sure, Revis was lost for year, injuries happen, that doesn't make the contract they gave him any worse, which I think you're implying.

    I agree that the Jets can't write an open check, but Revis will be worth top CB money, he is a franchise player, and the only risk is on his health, however, given his work ethic, his competitiveness as a player who strives to be the best, I have little doubt he will return to form and sooner rather than later.

    Jets are in a tough spot, I have no doubt they are hedging both sides of the fence, IMO, they will consider trading him, but the offer has to knock their socks off, a game changer, a deal that would give the Jets a very big return, multiple picks and maybe a player, it would have to put the Jets on the fast track to truly add good talent at the top of the draft over the next two years with multiple picks in the top two rounds.

    They will have the entire FA period to evaluate offers and the market for Revis, as well as consider a new contract offer that will undoubtedly have built in insurance after the first year, bonuses that won't kick in until after he has proven himself after a year, and will be conducive to a new cap structure that will allow the Jets to rebuild and replenish around him without breaking the bank.
    16 + 16 + 7 = 13 p/y average which was simply the way they agreed average the deal out. Revis has a history of understanding that perfectly well in year 1 and year 2 but then conveniently getting forgetful and feeling insulted about in year 3.

    Any contract is a gamble on both sides. The Jets gambled and lost BIG time last year. $16 million for squadoosh on the field. 13% of their cap money wasted on ZERO return on the field is a terrible return on investment. It is effectively like starting a 100 meter race by giving all of the other racers a 13 yard head start. Yes, the Jets lost out there.

    Any player coming back off a major injury presents and entirely different risk/reward profile in terms of the prospects for his playing career as well as his performance over those years. That is simply reality.

    Are the prospects for Darrelle Revis return to his prior form good? Maybe so and maybe not but they are not a stone cold lock and any contract given out to him before he returns and demonstrates that level of performance MUST also reflect the risk/reward at the point in time the contract is signed. i.e. less money if he resigns now.

    When you add that to the idea that the world has recovered from Al Davis and his Aso madness then it all adds up to a much lower contract for Darrelle Revis this time around. 10-11 might be on the high side quite frankly but any more than that would be insane.

    I don't know how else to say this. Cornerbacks just ain't worth that much and there is simply no assurance that he will even get back to that level.

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,176
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    16 + 16 + 7 = 13 p/y average which was simply the way they agreed average the deal out. Revis has a history of understanding that perfectly well in year 1 and year 2 but then conveniently getting forgetful and feeling insulted about in year 3.

    Any contract is a gamble on both sides. The Jets gambled and lost BIG time last year. $16 million for squadoosh on the field. 13% of their cap money wasted on ZERO return on the field is a terrible return on investment. It is effectively like starting a 100 meter race by giving all of the other racers a 13 yard head start. Yes, the Jets lost out there.

    Any player coming back off a major injury presents and entirely different risk/reward profile in terms of the prospects for his playing career as well as his performance over those years. That is simply reality.

    Are the prospects for Darrelle Revis return to his prior form good? Maybe so and maybe not but they are not a stone cold lock and any contract given out to him before he returns and demonstrates that level of performance MUST also reflect the risk/reward at the point in time the contract is signed. i.e. less money if he resigns now.

    When you add that to the idea that the world has recovered from Al Davis and his Aso madness then it all adds up to a much lower contract for Darrelle Revis this time around. 10-11 might be on the high side quite frankly but any more than that would be insane.

    I don't know how else to say this. Cornerbacks just ain't worth that much and there is simply no assurance that he will even get back to that level.
    Again, you're wrong, last year's number was 7 million, it will be around 7 million this year too, the first two years of the contract was front loaded.

    I don't have a problem with the rest of the post, again, I agree, I don't think the Jets should overpay for Revis.

  12. #32
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,098
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do people want to sell off the one star we have at the first opportunity? put Revis AND Cro back there, and even with Landry and Bell not being the worlds best we pretty much shut down the pass offense. We can focus on LBs and pass rushers and obviously the offense.

    At let's not forget our need for leaders. Cromartie wouldn't, by his own admission, have stepped up the way he did with out Revis' motivation.

    I don't pay a lot of attention to other teams, but is it common to groom someone from the draft to superstar and then dump them when they want to get paid?

  13. #33
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Why do people want to sell off the one star we have at the first opportunity? put Revis AND Cro back there, and even with Landry and Bell not being the worlds best we pretty much shut down the pass offense. We can focus on LBs and pass rushers and obviously the offense.

    At let's not forget our need for leaders. Cromartie wouldn't, by his own admission, have stepped up the way he did with out Revis' motivation.

    I don't pay a lot of attention to other teams, but is it common to groom someone from the draft to superstar and then dump them when they want to get paid?
    +1,000,000

    Let Revis earn his payday by having a great year for us next year and then move on. We get an additional $10 mil in cap room in 2014 after Revis walks to go along with cutting Sanchez, Holmes and other contracts coming off we could be looking at $30 - $40 mil in cap room in 2014 potentially if Idzik plays it right.

    As great as Revis is the Jets could use the cap room in 2014 to sign another, younger elite CB or they could simply trade a late rd pick for Aso who will probably be available.

  14. #34
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    16 + 16 + 7 = 13 p/y average which was simply the way they agreed average the deal out. Revis has a history of understanding that perfectly well in year 1 and year 2 but then conveniently getting forgetful and feeling insulted about in year 3.

    Any contract is a gamble on both sides. The Jets gambled and lost BIG time last year. $16 million for squadoosh on the field. 13% of their cap money wasted on ZERO return on the field is a terrible return on investment. It is effectively like starting a 100 meter race by giving all of the other racers a 13 yard head start. Yes, the Jets lost out there.

    Any player coming back off a major injury presents and entirely different risk/reward profile in terms of the prospects for his playing career as well as his performance over those years. That is simply reality.

    Are the prospects for Darrelle Revis return to his prior form good? Maybe so and maybe not but they are not a stone cold lock and any contract given out to him before he returns and demonstrates that level of performance MUST also reflect the risk/reward at the point in time the contract is signed. i.e. less money if he resigns now.

    When you add that to the idea that the world has recovered from Al Davis and his Aso madness then it all adds up to a much lower contract for Darrelle Revis this time around. 10-11 might be on the high side quite frankly but any more than that would be insane.

    I don't know how else to say this. Cornerbacks just ain't worth that much and there is simply no assurance that he will even get back to that level.
    What did you forget Revis has another season on his contract? And once again how have contracts for top notch CB's gone down? Please explain to me how that happens?

    And you stance about CB's meaning nothing is purely OPINION, and likely your own opinion. Many people view the CB along with QB and WR as the most important, pay up spots when building a football team.

    But most of all your stance, leaves NO room for the Jets to resign Revis. NONE. You are operating on numbers that would be relevant to the conversation about 3 years ago.

    So, if that's the way you feel just join the side that wants to trade Revis. Because there's no f*cking way you'll EVER get Revis for 11 million per season.

  15. #35
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    What did you forget Revis has another season on his contract? And once again how have contracts for top notch CB's gone down? Please explain to me how that happens?

    And you stance about CB's meaning nothing is purely OPINION, and likely your own opinion. Many people view the CB along with QB and WR as the most important, pay up spots when building a football team.

    But most of all your stance, leaves NO room for the Jets to resign Revis. NONE. You are operating on numbers that would be relevant to the conversation about 3 years ago.

    So, if that's the way you feel just join the side that wants to trade Revis. Because there's no f*cking way you'll EVER get Revis for 11 million per season.
    All it takes is one team willing to pay him crazy money and he will get his money. I just do not want the jets to be that team. If he want to come back for very good money then fine.

    I do not believe that he is likely to do that. I think he is clear that this is a business and it is not personal and that if he can get one red cent more from someone else that it is his right do do that. Good luck to him. It is a tough business and few NFL players get to the point where they can dictate to the league.

    In terms of Cornerback I think the "Elite" market only consisted of two player and that Al Davis totally skewed that market. Nobody would sign up today for either of the last two deals that Aso got and the Jets would not sign up today for the Revis deal. The market came down because those deal in part were built on the assumption of a never ending inflation of the salary cap league wide and that just never happened. The cap actually went down at least once or even twice. Some of the contracts given out at that time were a result of the stupid assumption that there would be league wide cap inflation as far as the eye can see and that has not happened.

    14% of the cap is OK for maybe 3 or 4 QBs in the league and it is NOT OK for anyone else. If you think it is then you are in a very small minority.

    So yes, I am in the boat of trying to get what we can get for Darrelle Revis now because he has negotiated the right to walk at the end of the year and we have no say in that..

  16. #36
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,025
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    +1,000,000

    Let Revis earn his payday by having a great year for us next year and then move on. We get an additional $10 mil in cap room in 2014 after Revis walks to go along with cutting Sanchez, Holmes and other contracts coming off we could be looking at $30 - $40 mil in cap room in 2014 potentially if Idzik plays it right.

    As great as Revis is the Jets could use the cap room in 2014 to sign another, younger elite CB or they could simply trade a late rd pick for Aso who will probably be available.
    I think your a missing his point. I think he wants to keep Revis long term. It sounds like you want Revis to play this year and then let him walk next year for nothing which is the worst idea. We have 3 options:
    1- Trade him for picks which frees up cap space going forward
    2- Resign him to long term contract at big bucks
    3- LEt him play out his contract and get nothing in return when he walks in FA

    Option 3 is by far the worst option. To keep Revis this year (when we aren't likely to win a Super Bowl) is just a waste.

  17. #37
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    All it takes is one team willing to pay him crazy money and he will get his money. I just do not want the jets to be that team. If he want to come back for very good money then fine.

    I do not believe that he is likely to do that. I think he is clear that this is a business and it is not personal and that if he can get one red cent more from someone else that it is his right do do that. Good luck to him. It is a tough business and few NFL players get to the point where they can dictate to the league.

    In terms of Cornerback I think the "Elite" market only consisted of two player and that Al Davis totally skewed that market. Nobody would sign up today for either of the last two deals that Aso got and the Jets would not sign up today for the Revis deal. The market came down because those deal in part were built on the assumption of a never ending inflation of the salary cap league wide and that just never happened. The cap actually went down at least once or even twice. Some of the contracts given out at that time were a result of the stupid assumption that there would be league wide cap inflation as far as the eye can see and that has not happened.

    14% of the cap is OK for maybe 3 or 4 QBs in the league and it is NOT OK for anyone else. If you think it is then you are in a very small minority.

    So yes, I am in the boat of trying to get what we can get for Darrelle Revis now because he has negotiated the right to walk at the end of the year and we have no say in that..
    I agree that all it takes is one crazy team and the Jets would never be able to resign him. But that is also assuming he gets to FA. The Jets will have this entire season to try and resign him.

    I also very much agree that Revis shows absolutely ZERO loyalty to the NYJ. He wants money and he doesn't give a sh*t where he gets it.

    I just believe that if the Jets can start contract negotiations now to make him the highest player at his position (that will never change no matter what you think), then they could stand a very good chance of resigning him.

    He's also the ONLY player, besides maybe Mangold, I can think of that ALWAYS shows up. The guy has been as solid as a rock ever since his rookie season. Hence, I think he is worth the big bucks.

    He's also a very rare commodity. Revis is one of only two IMO that have ever reached the highest level of play at the CB spot. He essentially makes the defense have MORE players than the offense. Revis never requires Safety help over the top, therefore the defense can assign other duties to the Safety. Maybe bring him up closer to the LOS and help in the running game, or a Safety blitz here and there, or help out on the other side of the field. The uses really, really open up when you have Revis on your team shutting down the opponents best receiver. It's a benefit most any DC would love to have.

  18. #38
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I agree that all it takes is one crazy team and the Jets would never be able to resign him. But that is also assuming he gets to FA. The Jets will have this entire season to try and resign him.

    I also very much agree that Revis shows absolutely ZERO loyalty to the NYJ. He wants money and he doesn't give a sh*t where he gets it.

    I just believe that if the Jets can start contract negotiations now to make him the highest player at his position (that will never change no matter what you think), then they could stand a very good chance of resigning him.

    He's also the ONLY player, besides maybe Mangold, I can think of that ALWAYS shows up. The guy has been as solid as a rock ever since his rookie season. Hence, I think he is worth the big bucks.

    He's also a very rare commodity. Revis is one of only two IMO that have ever reached the highest level of play at the CB spot. He essentially makes the defense have MORE players than the offense. Revis never requires Safety help over the top, therefore the defense can assign other duties to the Safety. Maybe bring him up closer to the LOS and help in the running game, or a Safety blitz here and there, or help out on the other side of the field. The uses really, really open up when you have Revis on your team shutting down the opponents best receiver. It's a benefit most any DC would love to have.
    I like Revis and I would be happy to lock him up long term. I would be even willing to take a calculated risk that there is not much of a residual health risk as a result of his injury last year.

    I do have reservations in general about concentrating that high of a percentage of our overall cap into one player who is not a bonafide franchise QB. I just think that is putting too many eggs into the wrong basket. It also takes away form the amount of money we have available to spend elsewhere and that the difference between Revis and Not revis from a cap point of view may be the difference which results in getting two or maybe three front line starters as opposed to JAGs. With that many dollars into one player we have to have a plan B in case that players gets injured.

    Hoping these players do not get injured is all well and good but hope is not a plan.

  19. #39
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I think your a missing his point. I think he wants to keep Revis long term. It sounds like you want Revis to play this year and then let him walk next year for nothing which is the worst idea. We have 3 options:
    1- Trade him for picks which frees up cap space going forward
    2- Resign him to long term contract at big bucks
    3- LEt him play out his contract and get nothing in return when he walks in FA

    Option 3 is by far the worst option. To keep Revis this year (when we aren't likely to win a Super Bowl) is just a waste.
    Also there is option 4- Revis won't sign with anyone till he test free agency in 2014. (no tag on him - alot of teams will have cash not just the Jets) That happens and one and two might not be options anymore. That why losing that franchise tag was so devastating . Only Revis knows this answer as the ball clearly in his hands, not the Jets.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 02-14-2013 at 02:05 PM.

  20. #40
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,086
    Post Thanks / Like
    What will be interesting to see is what the Eagles do with Nnamdi this year. He is scheduled to make 15 million, but it is not guaranteed. They can save 11 million in cap dollars and have 4 million in dead money. What would Nnamdi be worth on the open market right now? Not nearly the 15 million is scheduled to make. How would that effect the value of Revis either via trade or re-signing him long term?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us