Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we really need Revis for big bucks?

Do we really need Revis for big bucks?

189.8. Passing yards allowed per game by the Jets -- second best in the NFL. That's without Revis for almost the entire season.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2KilfQnV2

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    189.8. Passing yards allowed per game by the Jets -- second best in the NFL. That's without Revis for almost the entire season.

I'm not saying the Jets should certainly keep Revis, but that information is incomplete

For example:

3rd down passing Defense: 2011: 152 attempts - 23.7% first downs (3rd in NFL), 5 INTs, 2TDs, 13 Sacks

3rd down passing Defense 2012: 135 attempts - 35.6% First Downs (22nd in NFL), 4 INTs, 8TDs, 13 Sacks

Another REVIS thread???? Really?

I miss the ACM vs. the Penningtologists.

YES, absolutely, unequivocally, YES. Cro had one good season. ONE. Counting on Cro to do that each and every year is insane. If the Jets do that, you will b*tch to no end based on what you see on the field.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    YES, absolutely, unequivocally, YES. Cro had one good season. ONE. Counting on Cro to do that each and every year is insane. If the Jets do that, you will b*tch to no end based on what you see on the field.
    Actually, Cro has been good every season since he came here. This past season he was excellent. That being said, counting on Revis to be back to 100% following his knee injury is only just a little bit less insane. And Jet fans will ***** no matter what's on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    Actually, Cro has been good every season since he came here. This past season he was excellent. That being said, counting on Revis to be back to 100% following his knee injury is only just a little bit less insane. And Jet fans will ***** no matter what's on the field.
    You're on crack. And your sanity with this statement is about the equivalent of Michael Douglas's character in Falling Down.

The answer is yes. Revis is absolutely worth the big bucks.

That was against a lot of bad QBs this season and we also had one of the worst run defenses in football, so teams just ran on us. I rather keep talent.

Hall Of Fame
    At $10-$11 per year then yes, sign the beast. More than that number then no it is time to part ways.

Next

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    At $10-$11 per year then yes, sign the beast. More than that number then no it is time to part ways.

Next
    We don't need no stinking QB or any other players we got Mevis.. Pay him the whole cap and give him Sundays off..

Hall Of Fame

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    We don't need no stinking QB or any other players we got Mevis.. Pay him the whole cap and give him Sundays off..
    I wouln't go that far Savage. All I am saying is that a long term deal at or above 11 million per year for a cornerback is insane and a firing offense for a GM in my opinion.

I wouln't go that far Savage. All I am saying is that a long term deal at or above 11 million per year for a cornerback is insane and a firing offense for a GM in my opinion.
    That's not what fair market value is for Revis.

Do we both agree that Nnamdi Asomogha is likely the highest paid corner in the game today? Do we both agree that he makes 12.5 million per season? Because if we do, then there's no way you can get away with paying Revis LESS than Asomogha.

Asomogha has sucked donkey balls the last two seasons. He hasn't played anywhere near the value of his contract with the Eagles so far.

Revis is hands down a better corner.

Therefore, he DESERVES to be the highest paid player at his position and he's NEVER going to settle for anything less.

If the Jets want to keep Revis, (and I hope they do) they are going to have to offer Revis at least 14 million per season.

Are we going to commit long term to Revis, can we afford to commit long term to Revis.

If the Jets cannot answer these two questions in the affirmative before the draft, then cut bait and move on. Make your best trade deal for his services and move on.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    That's not what fair market value is for Revis.

Do we both agree that Nnamdi Asomogha is likely the highest paid corner in the game today? Do we both agree that he makes 12.5 million per season? Because if we do, then there's no way you can get away with paying Revis LESS than Asomogha.

Asomogha has sucked donkey balls the last two seasons. He hasn't played anywhere near the value of his contract with the Eagles so far.

Revis is hands down a better corner.

Therefore, he DESERVES to be the highest paid player at his position and he's NEVER going to settle for anything less.

If the Jets want to keep Revis, (and I hope they do) they are going to have to offer Revis at least 14 million per season.
    Wake up! The market changed and so did notions of fair market value.

Aso was massively overpaid and no cornerback in the NFL would get that contract again if it were today.

14 million is insane for a cornerback . 12 million is insane for a cornerback especially one coming back from a serious injury. Why does a cornerback who missed the entire season due to injury "DESERVE" to automatically be the highest paid cornerback in the NFL? Please explain what he has done to "DESERVE" that?

If he wants 12 then goodbye.

If he is not going to settle for less then goodbye.

There is zero reason to compound a horrible contract error by another team by making a different horrible one of your own. Al Davis is dead and both the Raiders and the Eagles thoroughly regret paying so much to a cornerback. And rightly so.

Enough with this absurd Revis salad tossing
    Last edited by EM31; 02-12-2013 at 07:37 PM.

I am sooooooo tired of hearing the "the man is worth it, give him what he wants" song. He is good, he is worth a lot to a team. That is true, but, he is not worth putting us in cap hell for the next four or five years. We are going to lose him after next year, that is as close to a given as you can get in football today. Do we want to lose him for nothing? I don't. He is a bargaining chip in making the Jets better a few years down the road and I think that is more important than a one year rental.

We get him for a reasonable extension, great. He demands what we can't afford, see ya. And this needs to be done now, before the draft, and before the one mil payout to him that is coming up soon.

If you don't pay Revis or at least keep him for 1 more season you better resign Laron Landry. Landry mitigated us losing Revis for the entire season. I dread the thought of losing both Revis, Landry and possibly Bell - we probably end up with the worst secondary in the NFL.

Assuming we lose Laron Landry to FA (which we probably will)

Next season do you want Kyle Wilson and Cro to cover:

Julio Jones and Roddy White

Colston and Jimmy Graham

Welker and Gronk (2x)

I don't.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Assuming we lose Laron Landry to FA (which we probably will)

Next season do you want Kyle Wilson and Cro to cover:

Julio Jones and Roddy White

Colston and Jimmy Graham

Welker and Gronk (2x)

I don't.
    The question is not if all things were equal would we rather have Revis play here than elsewhere. The question is are you prepared to gut your entire salary cap to keep him here?

Wake up! The market changed and so did notions of fair market value.

Aso was massively overpaid and no cornerback in the NFL would get that contract again if it were today.

14 million is insane for a cornerback . 12 million is insane for a cornerback especially one coming back from a serious injury. Why does a cornerback who missed the entire season due to injury "DESERVE" to automatically be the highest paid cornerback in the NFL? Please explain what he has done to "DESERVE" that?

If he wants 12 then goodbye.

If he is not going to settle for less then goodbye.

There is zero reason to compound a horrible contract error by another team by making a different horrible one of your own. Al Davis is dead and both the Raiders and the Eagles thoroughly regret paying so much to a cornerback. And rightly so.

Enough with this absurd Revis salad tossing
    YOU wake up! You're not even talking about the right contract.

The actual contract that you refer to as "massively overpaid" was Nnamdi Asomogha's contract with the Raiders. A senile Al Davis gave Aso a 3 year 45 million dollar contract. A contract averaging 15 million per season.

THAT's the massively overpaid contract that he got. NOT the contract he got from the Eagles. The contract he got from was slightly overpaying Nnamdi even at that time when he was considered one of the best corners in the game along with Revis. But when you get someone through FA many teams will overpay.

Aso's Eagles contract was MUCH more in line with fair market value and you could expect Revis to want more than the 12.5 million per average Aso is currently getting in Philly.

And as we have already established, Revis is miles better than Aso will ever be.

If the Jets want to keep Revis, and I hope they do, they will have to back up the brinks truck. Simple as that.