Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Canada's 2nd Mock

  1. #21
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Can you name me one successful team that was built around a Cornerback?

    Great teams are generally built around a QB or Stand Out Pass Rusher and to a lesser degree a great RB. Not a CB.

    Having a HOF/Top 3 All time CB on a 6-10 team is a luxury not a necessity. Its a bigger luxury when you consider that the Secondary was quite good even without him.

    Sorry, there is no rational reason to give in to Revis' demands and resign him. Emotional reasons? Absolutely.
    Here is my rationale. When Revis is gone and our Defense becomes pedestrian there will literally be nothing exceptional about the Jets team. We got through the Revis injury this season due to solid play from Landry and Bell. They likely wont be back this season. Trading Revis triggers an additional 3 million cap hit virtually assuring that we will not be able to resign Landry. Our secondary will go from the teams primary strength to a weakness.

    If your theory is blow it up and start from scratch and you are hoping for a 3 win season and a shot at a tow 3 pick next season then trading Revis is the move. I think that is a massively high risk move that has a high likelyhood of backfiring. If we end up squeaking out 6 wins we will miss out on the 2 QB's everyone wants and could end up having tanked a season for a bust player like Gholston. As fans we are not privvy to all the details and demands that happen with players and their contracts behind the scenes. There is information that we just don't know. If Revis can be retained for somewhere close to or slightly over Aso's money it is a no brainer to keep him. $13.5 million or so average should get a deal done. I do not subscribe to the throwaway season cult. Football just doesnt work that way. Teams that suck tend to suck for multiple years (see Jags, Bills, Rams, Miami, etc). In football teams need to rebuild on the fly. I also contend that we are not in cap hell. The bad contracts for Sanchez, Holmes and Harris are mitigated starting in 2014. Plenty of cap space to go around at that point. We have the room to pay Revis and still retain our guys and sign FA's moving forward. I trade Cro, get his 9 Million per off the books including 7Million in additional cap space for 2013. I then use that cap space to retain Landry and Pay for my Matt Flynn trade. That alongside the draft and cheap FA's gives us a squad with potential in 2013 plus tons of flexibility in 2014 to change course Flynn doesn't pan out. Low risk and high reward is the way to go.


    EDIT - here is the caveat, if Revis thinks that he is the best player in football and deserves an 18Million per type salary then I'd be happy to get rid of him. Thats the thing. None of us really know what it will take to sign the guy. For me he is worth up to 14Million per.
    Last edited by chiefst2000; 02-14-2013 at 10:25 AM.

  2. #22
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,680
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Here is my rationale. When Revis is gone and our Defense becomes pedestrian there will literally be nothing exceptional about the Jets team. We got through the Revis injury this season due to solid play from Landry and Bell. They likely wont be back this season. Trading Revis triggers an additional 3 million cap hit virtually assuring that we will not be able to resign Landry. Our secondary will go from the teams primary strength to a weakness.

    If your theory is blow it up and start from scratch and you are hoping for a 3 win season and a shot at a tow 3 pick next season then trading Revis is the move. I think that is a massively high risk move that has a high likelyhood of backfiring. If we end up squeaking out 6 wins we will miss out on the 2 QB's everyone wants and could end up having tanked a season for a bust player like Gholston. As fans we are not privvy to all the details and demands that happen with players and their contracts behind the scenes. There is information that we just don't know. If Revis can be retained for somewhere close to or slightly over Aso's money it is a no brainer to keep him. $13.5 million or so average should get a deal done. I do not subscribe to the throwaway season cult. Football just doesnt work that way. Teams that suck tend to suck for multiple years (see Jags, Bills, Rams, Miami, etc). In football teams need to rebuild on the fly. I also contend that we are not in cap hell. The bad contracts for Sanchez, Holmes and Harris are mitigated starting in 2014. Plenty of cap space to go around at that point. We have the room to pay Revis and still retain our guys and sign FA's moving forward. I trade Cro, get his 9 Million per off the books including 7Million in additional cap space for 2013. I then use that cap space to retain Landry and Pay for my Matt Flynn trade. That alongside the draft and cheap FA's gives us a squad with potential in 2013 plus tons of flexibility in 2014 to change course Flynn doesn't pan out. Low risk and high reward is the way to go.


    EDIT - here is the caveat, if Revis thinks that he is the best player in football and deserves an 18Million per type salary then I'd be happy to get rid of him. Thats the thing. None of us really know what it will take to sign the guy. For me he is worth up to 14Million per.
    The problem here is, even with Revis, our Defense has a lot of problems.
    Resigning him to $14-15 million per year will handcuff us in terms of making moves this year and next year.

    Our Defense needs to built around Wilkerson and Coples, not a cornerback. Wilkerson is a monster and if Coples continues to improve on his rookie year we have the makings of two great, not good D-Lineman. And they are both in their early 20s. This will only work in the 3-4 if you have good Linebackers. We dont. Our linebackers suck. We need to get good LBs for this defense to become as good as Rex wants it/thinks it should be. Sign Revis to $14-15 mill per year and you wont be able to get those players (dont forget you still need to fix the offense, i was talking just about the D).

    While i would love to have Revis retire a Jet, we simply cant afford to spend so much on a CB and still field a good team.

  3. #23
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,599
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Of course the Jets can afford Revis- the Jets are in fine cap shape beyond 2013... it just seems as if they might not be willing to give a cornerback franchise QB money.
    NO team should be. He does not come remotely close to the impact of a QB. Revis needs to go.

  4. #24
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    597
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Are we rebuilding or not? If we are I want to build around a guy like Revis. There are only a few players currently on the Jets that scare opposing coaches and Revis is one of them. I want to keep those types of players and get rid of overpaid jags. Is Harris is declining I'd be more apt to get rid of his 9 Million per year salary. I am not convinced that the Jets would spend the money saved on Revis wisely. Would you prefer two more underachieving players like Bart and Pace at 7-8 Million per year or one Revis.

    I am not in the camp that thought our O-Line was a problem last season. Therefore I am comfortable with Howard at RT for now. The G play from Slausen and Moore last season was jag like. A guy like Caleb Schaluderhouse(?SP) or Ducasse or mid round draft pick types would step in and see little to no dropoff. I am also content to keep a Jag at the TE position. Cumberland and Reuland are serviceable and free agents are generally available cheap.



    In my offseason plan I trade Cro for a 2nd rounder (adding 7Million to the cap space for 2013) and trade down from the 9 spot to the 20's for an additional 2nd rounder. If the team does that we will actually be able to grab the OLB in the 1st, then S or CB/RB/G in the second. All positions that should contribute in year one. I would also trade a 4th rounder for Flynn and solidify the QB position. I would look at CB/TE/RT/G and ILB with the remainder of the picks.
    Good post. I'm not worried about TE either, esp with Baker comming off IR as additional insurance.

    OTOH I don't trade Cro for that same reason you don't trade Revis. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

    I doubt we move back due to lack of a trading partner. At this point I'm going Warmack or BPA OLB or NT at 9. Next I'd like Bartlett Jones in the 2nd. He's one of the most versatile Olinemen in the draft and would fill the need. Stepfan Taylor in the 3rd might be a bit of a reach but he's a good RB that fits perfectly in the WCO. The only thing he is missing is break away speed but he's an immediate upgrade for us in the RB spot.

    I'd prefer to sign Matt Moore as one of our cap expenditures and save the draft pick.

  5. #25
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    The problem here is, even with Revis, our Defense has a lot of problems.
    Resigning him to $14-15 million per year will handcuff us in terms of making moves this year and next year.

    Our Defense needs to built around Wilkerson and Coples, not a cornerback. Wilkerson is a monster and if Coples continues to improve on his rookie year we have the makings of two great, not good D-Lineman. And they are both in their early 20s. This will only work in the 3-4 if you have good Linebackers. We dont. Our linebackers suck. We need to get good LBs for this defense to become as good as Rex wants it/thinks it should be. Sign Revis to $14-15 mill per year and you wont be able to get those players (dont forget you still need to fix the offense, i was talking just about the D).

    While i would love to have Revis retire a Jet, we simply cant afford to spend so much on a CB and still field a good team.
    I think we need to get those LB's via the draft rather then FA. Couples and Wilk are yound and have 3-4 years until they need new contracts. The OLB's we bring in via the draft will also be cheap for the next 3-4 years. Revis contract can be designed cover the next 3-4 seasons with an out thereafter. I still contend that since we don't have a franchise QB to pay and with buttfumbler and Holmes coming off the payroll the team can afford to pay Revis simply because there is no one else worthy of that money on the team or via FA. I would however prefer to trade Cro because his value is peaking right now and If I have to choose which player to tie up large dollars in a long term deal with I go Revis over Cro. As a bonus trading Cro adds cap room in 2013 and 2014. Revis actually costs cap room to cut in 2013.

  6. #26
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Here is my rationale. When Revis is gone and our Defense becomes pedestrian there will literally be nothing exceptional about the Jets team. We got through the Revis injury this season due to solid play from Landry and Bell. They likely wont be back this season. Trading Revis triggers an additional 3 million cap hit virtually assuring that we will not be able to resign Landry. Our secondary will go from the teams primary strength to a weakness.
    You blow up your own theory in one sentence. First off, the defense was hardly pedestrian without Revis. We ranked second in the league for passing yards as a defense with a shade over 189.8. That was NOT thanks to Revis being in, given we gave up 195 to Fitzpatrick and over 250 to BenR.

    Then you say we got through the injury to Revis thanks to Landry and Bell. If anything, you are making a case showing the importance of Landry and Bell to the team, and that Revis is not that important; that in fact, our safety play is more important because with Revis out, the improved safety play, in fact, helped the Jets.

    Sorry; there is no convincing argument in keeping a $15+ per season CB on this team, when a second solid CB, and better S play can both be had for cheaper than Revis.

  7. #27
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,481
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    You blow up your own theory in one sentence. First off, the defense was hardly pedestrian without Revis. We ranked second in the league for passing yards as a defense with a shade over 189.8. That was NOT thanks to Revis being in, given we gave up 195 to Fitzpatrick and over 250 to BenR.

    Then you say we got through the injury to Revis thanks to Landry and Bell. If anything, you are making a case showing the importance of Landry and Bell to the team, and that Revis is not that important; that in fact, our safety play is more important because with Revis out, the improved safety play, in fact, helped the Jets.

    Sorry; there is no convincing argument in keeping a $15+ per season CB on this team, when a second solid CB, and better S play can both be had for cheaper than Revis.
    This. If you invest 14-15 a year in Revis, you can't invest much more in the secondary without there being too much in one unit. Therefore you have weaker safeties and on the whole the secondary isn't that dangerous anymore. This is like paying an LT 18 million a year cause he is a HOFer, but then having to put a scrub in at RT. At the end of the day the OL will still suck.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us