Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada's 2nd Mock

All Pro

Canada's 2nd Mock

Had some time to think about a few things....here is my second idea, with explanations (when needed)
    CUTs

- Eric Smith
    - Bart Scott
    - Calvin Pace
    - Sione Pouha
    - Tim Tebow
    -Justin Smith

RESIGNED
    - Nick Folk
    - Yeremiah Bell
    - Braylon Edwards
    -Calvin Pace (at the money we will spend on dead money for him)
    -Justin Smith (League Minimum)
    - Mike DeVito
    - Austin Howard
    -Brandon Moore or Slauson (cheapest with fewest years)
    -Lex Hilliard
    -Isiah Trufant
    -Darrin Walls

FREE AGENTS
    -Ahmad Bradshaw....He is a bruising back that plays hurt. I do not think he breaks the bank. I will explain more later

TRADES
    I still believe you trade Revis and extend Cromartie. We need draft picks, and this team is not winning next year. You have to make the tough decision. I will make Tampa now the trade partner. I still think it is best to go for a 2nd and a 3rd this year, with now a 3rd next year with conditions that can make it either a 2nd or a 1st.

With this, we now have a 1st, 2 2nds and 2 3rds.

DRAFT
    1st Round: Mingo/Jordan/Jones, OLB...whichever one is available at 9.
    2nd Round: Ryan Nassib, QB.
    2nd Round: Matt Elam, SS
    3rd Round: Alvin Bailey, OG
    3rd Round: Gavin Escobar, TE
    4th Round: Marcus Lattimore, RB,
    5th Round: Travis Long, OLB 3/4
    6th Round: Keenan Davis, WR
    7th Round: Rashard Hall, FS

I think you draft Lattimore, who suffered a serious knee injury like Willis McGhee did...you IR him for the year, given you have McKnight, Powell, and Bradshaw. The following year, you draft another RB in 2nd-3rd round, and have him and Lattimore as your two feature backs and let McKnight walk in FA.

You can't fix everything in one year; there still is some wiggle room (according to Jason) for the cap to sign some other 2nd tier guys.

in 2014, we have TONS of cap space. We sign/draft another Guard or move Howard inside and draft a RT. Would be good to draft a CB or sign one to play alongside Cro.

This is not a one year fix; but by letting go of Revis (contrary to the nay-sayers, I think Tampa can sign Revis to a high contract), we can restock. Would you rather have Revis, or fill our OG, TE, and another position the following year? I think the answer is obvious. Not to mention the cap space saved to sign even more players.

The floor is now open....

I'd rather have Revis over the draft picks for sure. I mean getting guys like Elam and Escobar in exchange for the one of the best defensive players in football? That is not appealing at all. You say yourself that in 2014 we have plenty of cap room. I'd rather pay revis the 15 Million it will take and trade Cro and his 10 Million dollar salary. We still can get a 2nd rounder for Cro.

Another thing I want to point out is that Pace's dead money is there regardless of what he is resigned for. So in signing him for the "dead money", that doesn't mean that you used the dead money to get the player. The issue is completely separate. I'd bring him back for sure and 2.5 mill may be a reasonable price but it will still add 2.5million to the cap. The dead money is there and hits the cap regardless.

All this said for the most part I really like the draft you put together. I hate the drafts where people have us taking guards in the first two rounds. We need to grab the pass rusher or a franchise QB at 9 or move down.

Hall Of Fame
    I wouldnt touch Lattimore in the 4th. People need to remember that he tore up his other knee the season before last. He didnt just have a simple tear of his ACL, he tore up his entire knee and knee cap and broke a bone. I wouldnt touch the kid.

Hall Of Fame
    FIRE IDZIK!!!!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    FIRE IDZIK!!!!
    +1 guy hasn't done **** here as a GM.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    I'd rather have Revis over the draft picks for sure. I mean getting guys like Elam and Escobar in exchange for the one of the best defensive players in football? That is not appealing at all. You say yourself that in 2014 we have plenty of cap room. I'd rather pay revis the 15 Million it will take and trade Cro and his 10 Million dollar salary. We still can get a 2nd rounder for Cro.

Another thing I want to point out is that Pace's dead money is there regardless of what he is resigned for. So in signing him for the "dead money", that doesn't mean that you used the dead money to get the player. The issue is completely separate. I'd bring him back for sure and 2.5 mill may be a reasonable price but it will still add 2.5million to the cap. The dead money is there and hits the cap regardless.

All this said for the most part I really like the draft you put together. I hate the drafts where people have us taking guards in the first two rounds. We need to grab the pass rusher or a franchise QB at 9 or move down.
    I think that everyone here would rather have Revis. But the reality is we cannot pay Revis what he wants and still expect to fill our massive holes (2 OGs, a RT, RB, TE, 2 OLBs, 2 Safeties and eventually a franchise QB). Unless you are willing to pay Revis what he wants and have a team that year in and year out will at best be an 8-8 or 9-7 team with slim shot at the playoffs.

The other option is dont trade him and get a compensatory 3rd rd pick when he leaves at the end of this season (because he will leave)

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I think that everyone here would rather have Revis. But the reality is we cannot pay Revis what he wants and still expect to fill our massive holes (2 OGs, a RT, RB, TE, 2 OLBs, 2 Safeties and eventually a franchise QB). Unless you are willing to pay Revis what he wants and have a team that year in and year out will at best be an 8-8 or 9-7 team with slim shot at the playoffs.

The other option is dont trade him and get a compensatory 3rd rd pick when he leaves at the end of this season (because he will leave)
    I'm not convinced that paying Revis 14-15 Million is something the team can't afford. When you consider that a lesser player like Cro will demand 10+ million it seems like kicking out a but more for a vastly superior player is a good value proposition. Our next starting/franchise QB will likely be a rookie that doesn't make much. Outside of Brick and Mangold on O and Wilk/Couples on D (3 more years untill they get paid big) there are not really any other Jet players worthy of massive dollar contracts now or in the near future. If Revis is demanding 18-20 million and absolutely refuses to sign for less then screw him. If the FO can get a deal done in the 13-15 Million range (preferably back loaded with a largs SB) I would keep the guy for sure. I prefer Revis for 14 Miillion over cro at 10Mill plus a midling 4 Million dollar player like DeVito or Slausen or Bradshaw or Pace or anyone else in that category.

All Pro

This is why it is better to trade him for MULTIPLE picks rather than just getting a first or him.
    I don't think anyone is going to give us multiple 1st round picks, so why not get multiple picks period? Why is it so important to keep this guy? The defense played good without him. Is it that important to keep him and pay him the ridiculous amount he will want, to strap the team?

Just because we have cap room doesn't mean you tie it up by giving QB money to a CB. How about we get a good QB and give it to him....the guy that can actually win us games.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Of course the Jets can afford Revis- the Jets are in fine cap shape beyond 2013... it just seems as if they might not be willing to give a cornerback franchise QB money.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    This is why it is better to trade him for MULTIPLE picks rather than just getting a first or him.
    I don't think anyone is going to give us multiple 1st round picks, so why not get multiple picks period? Why is it so important to keep this guy? The defense played good without him. Is it that important to keep him and pay him the ridiculous amount he will want, to strap the team?

Just because we have cap room doesn't mean you tie it up by giving QB money to a CB. How about we get a good QB and give it to him....the guy that can actually win us games.
    If you can present this wonderful franchise QB that we could have if we only had the cap space I would be happy to listen. Until then it is a pipe dream. Most likely we will draft another guy and give it a go. That guy will be cheap. You don't give up your best player for scraps and Revis is our best player. In two years we will be overpaying for a lesser free agent at the position if we trade him. Mark my words there.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post

I agree with you 99%. I think you can get a 1st and 3rd this year and 2nd or 3rd next year.
    We can not gamble with our future by keeping Revis.

If you can present this wonderful franchise QB that we could have if we only had the cap space I would be happy to listen. Until then it is a pipe dream. Most likely we will draft another guy and give it a go. That guy will be cheap. You don't give up your best player for scraps and Revis is our best player. In two years we will be overpaying for a lesser free agent at the position if we trade him. Mark my words there.
    Unless you can tell me how Darrelle Revis is the one piece that the team needs to be a perennial winner, and that it can afford his contract demands and still get quality players to fill our holes at RT, RG, LG, TE, QB,OLB, OLB,ILB, FS, and SS then I can not understand your reasoning not to trade him now.

Unless you can tell me how Darrelle Revis is the one piece that the team needs to be a perennial winner, and that it can afford his contract demands and still get quality players to fill our holes at RT, RG, LG, TE, QB,OLB, OLB,ILB, FS, and SS then I can not understand your reasoning not to trade him now.
    Here goes:

RT - Howard resigned at 1.2Million
    RG - Slausen or Moore Resigned or Vlad if he is ready
    LG - Player Drafted in the middle rounds
    OLB - Player drafted in 1st round
    OLB #2 Pace resigned for short money
    RB - Player drafted in early rounds
    TE - Reuland + Cumberland + Blocking TE from later rounds
    ILB - Harris and Demario already under contract
    FS/SS - Resign Bell for vet minimum pair with Bush
    QB - Nasib or Barkley or Glennon or Smith drafted in 1st or second round

Here goes:

RT - Howard resigned at 1.2Million
    LG - Player Drafted in the middle rounds
    OLB - Player drafted in 1st round
    OLB #2 Pace resigned for short money
    RB - Player drafted in early rounds
    TE - Reuland + Cumberland + Blocking TE from later rounds
    ILB - Harris and Demario already under contract
    FS/SS - Resign Bell for vet minimum pair with Bush
    QB - Nasib or Barkley or Glennon or Smith drafted in 1st or second round
    Wow, thats a terrible plan. You really want to continue to suck? Dont you want to improve as a team?
    So lets look at your plan:

RT- resign a below avg RT whose a liability in pass blocking (no improvement)
    LG- middle round OG- needs time to develop most likely a JAG at a key position on the line (No Improvement)
    RG- Resign a JAG or past his prime OG vs Hope that a bust isnt as bad as he has shown thus far (no improvement)
    OLB#1- Agree w 1st line pick (improvement)
    OLB#2- Resign aging veteran who cant rush the passer or cover (no improvement)
    RB- Agree with drafting one high (improvement)
    TE- Cont with below average talent. No receiving threats in your plan (No improvement)
    ILB- Davis is an unknown and didnt wow anyone in his limited action and Harris has been on the decline/slow as mollases who will be a cap casualty next year. (possible improvement)
    FS/SS- Bush is a late round pick who showed nothing in training camp or limited playing time and Bell is in the twilight of his career at best has a year or two left (no improvement)
    QB- Nasib/Barkley/Glennon- all would be reach picks in the first round and none are considered sure thing franchise QBs. All would struggle mightily without a running game and O-line or receiving threats (no improvement)

But hey, at least we have mortgaged our future by signing Revis to a $15 million/year contract.
    Last edited by kennyo7; 02-13-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I wouldnt touch Lattimore in the 4th. People need to remember that he tore up his other knee the season before last. He didnt just have a simple tear of his ACL, he tore up his entire knee and knee cap and broke a bone. I wouldnt touch the kid.
    +1 My son WAS a RB and on his first day of practice broke his knee cap and tore the ligament off his knee. Hasn't been the same since. He took up Rugby because he wasn't fast enough for football anymore

Wow, thats a terrible plan. You really want to continue to suck? Dont you want to improve as a team?
    So lets look at your plan:

RT- resign a below avg RT whose a liability in pass blocking (no improvement)
    LG- middle round OG- needs time to develop most likely a JAG at a key position on the line (No Improvement)
    RG- Resign a JAG or past his prime OG vs Hope that a bust isnt as bad as he has shown thus far (no improvement)
    OLB#1- Agree w 1st line pick (improvement)
    OLB#2- Resign aging veteran who cant rush the passer or cover (no improvement)
    RB- Agree with drafting one high (improvement)
    TE- Cont with below average talent. No receiving threats in your plan (No improvement)
    ILB- Davis is an unknown and didnt wow anyone in his limited action and Harris has been on the decline/slow as mollases who will be a cap casualty next year. (possible improvement)
    FS/SS- Bush is a late round pick who showed nothing in training camp or limited playing time and Bell is in the twilight of his career at best has a year or two left (no improvement)
    QB- Nasib/Barkley/Glennon- all would be reach picks in the first round and none are considered sure thing franchise QBs. All would struggle mightily without a running game and O-line or receiving threats (no improvement)

But hey, at least we have mortgaged our future by signing Revis to a $15 million/year contract.
    Are we rebuilding or not? If we are I want to build around a guy like Revis. There are only a few players currently on the Jets that scare opposing coaches and Revis is one of them. I want to keep those types of players and get rid of overpaid jags. Is Harris is declining I'd be more apt to get rid of his 9 Million per year salary. I am not convinced that the Jets would spend the money saved on Revis wisely. Would you prefer two more underachieving players like Bart and Pace at 7-8 Million per year or one Revis.

I am not in the camp that thought our O-Line was a problem last season. Therefore I am comfortable with Howard at RT for now. The G play from Slausen and Moore last season was jag like. A guy like Caleb Schaluderhouse(?SP) or Ducasse or mid round draft pick types would step in and see little to no dropoff. I am also content to keep a Jag at the TE position. Cumberland and Reuland are serviceable and free agents are generally available cheap.

In my offseason plan I trade Cro for a 2nd rounder (adding 7Million to the cap space for 2013) and trade down from the 9 spot to the 20's for an additional 2nd rounder. If the team does that we will actually be able to grab the OLB in the 1st, then S or CB/RB/G in the second. All positions that should contribute in year one. I would also trade a 4th rounder for Flynn and solidify the QB position. I would look at CB/TE/RT/G and ILB with the remainder of the picks.

All Pro
    My point is paying a CB like he is a franchise QB.

Jet fans need to let go of this obsession with having the best CB in the league as if it is a badge of honor. A $15 million dollar CB doesn't win you Super Bowls. Ask the Raiders how that worked out for them, and how the Eagles so far have enjoyed Nnamdi.

All Pro
    Are we rebuilding or not? If we are I want to build around a guy like Revis.
    Why not keep Cromartie, who comes cheaper, and rid yourself of a 28 year old CB who is coming off of major knee surgery and will want almost $5 million more per year? And he will want AT LEAST $50 million guaranteed, which is looking like roughly 7 years MINIMUM at contract length.
    That is how you ruin a franchise. Ask Buffalo how they feel about that albatross of a contract named Mario Williams.

Are we rebuilding or not? If we are I want to build around a guy like Revis. There are only a few players currently on the Jets that scare opposing coaches and Revis is one of them. I want to keep those types of players and get rid of overpaid jags. Is Harris is declining I'd be more apt to get rid of his 9 Million per year salary. I am not convinced that the Jets would spend the money saved on Revis wisely. Would you prefer two more underachieving players like Bart and Pace at 7-8 Million per year or one Revis.

I am not in the camp that thought our O-Line was a problem last season. Therefore I am comfortable with Howard at RT for now. The G play from Slausen and Moore last season was jag like. A guy like Caleb Schaluderhouse(?SP) or Ducasse or mid round draft pick types would step in and see little to no dropoff. I am also content to keep a Jag at the TE position. Cumberland and Reuland are serviceable and free agents are generally available cheap.

In my offseason plan I trade Cro for a 2nd rounder (adding 7Million to the cap space for 2013) and trade down from the 9 spot to the 20's for an additional 2nd rounder. If the team does that we will actually be able to grab the OLB in the 1st, then S or CB/RB/G in the second. All positions that should contribute in year one. I would also trade a 4th rounder for Flynn and solidify the QB position. I would look at CB/TE/RT/G and ILB with the remainder of the picks.
    You don't build around a corner... and the amount Revis will be asking is Mario Williams money and then some. Jason at nyjetscap.com did a great article where he talks about how much higher than the highest paid corner we'd be giving up to Revis. It was a 30-40% jump, which is unheard of generally. It would be a stupid move, let some other team do it unless Revis comes down on his demands esp. after his surgery.

Can you name me one successful team that was built around a Cornerback?

Great teams are generally built around a QB or Stand Out Pass Rusher and to a lesser degree a great RB. Not a CB.

Having a HOF/Top 3 All time CB on a 6-10 team is a luxury not a necessity. Its a bigger luxury when you consider that the Secondary was quite good even without him.

Sorry, there is no rational reason to give in to Revis' demands and resign him. Emotional reasons? Absolutely.