Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Philly hires Tom Gamble

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    While some see it as odd as to why Gamble would take a lateral move to go to the Eagles, when you look at from all the different angles it actually makes a lot of sense.

Howie Roseman has been the Eagles GM since 2010. Since taking over, the Eagles have gone 10-6, 8-8, & 4-12. That's pretty abysmal considering they spent HUGE money on big name free agents during the 2011 offseason like Nnamdi, Rodgers-Cromartie, Cullen Jenkins, and Jason Babin. These are all deals that completely backfired on them and since acquiring these players the Eagles have gotten significantly worse. Their drafts haven't been bad but they haven't been anything special.

Now to Gamble.

Although they lost, the 49ers are coming off a Super Bowl and a large reason for that is their GM, Trent Baalke, and how well he has run that team. He's going to get all the credit and rightfully so. He's also, barring a complete and utter disaster the next couple of seasons, not going anywhere. If I'm Gamble I see the Eagles as an opportunity waiting to happen.

Even though Roseman was signed to a recent extension, if this team fails to compete with Chip Kelly as the HC and he bombs out in the NFL ala Saban and many other college coaches, the Eagles could be looking at a house cleaning in a few years. This means Gamble could potentially get interviewed for the vacant GM spot, kind of like what happened with Baalke in San Fran (he was promoted from Vice President of Player Personnel after the 2010 season to GM). However, if the Eagles flourish and another team has an opening, they probably would want a person who was a member of a strong front office. This route would be kind of similar to how he got his interviews this year. While there is always the chance that the Eagles bomb and he gets the axe too, taking the job there is most likely the best opportunity for him to get another shot at a GM job sometime soon and actually makes a lot of sense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post

Howie Roseman has been the Eagles GM since 2010. Since taking over, the Eagles have gone 10-6, 8-8, & 4-12. That's pretty abysmal considering they spent HUGE money on big name free agents during the 2011 offseason like Nnamdi, Rodgers-Cromartie, Cullen Jenkins, and Jason Babin. These are all deals that completely backfired on them and since acquiring these players the Eagles have gotten significantly worse. Their drafts haven't been bad but they haven't been anything special.
    It struck me as I read this paragraph if you substitute names this sounds remarkably like the Jets.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    It struck me as I read this paragraph if you substitute names this sounds remarkably like the Jets.
    Was thinking the same exact thing as I typed it lol. The fact that Tannenbaum and Howie are great friends doesn't shock me at all. They way that they operate is remarkably similar.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's basically a lateral move position-wise, it appears. But it's obvious one of the best teams in the league wasn't going out of their way to keep him around and then he landed with one of the most disappointing ones. And this after another major disappointment reportedly passed on him for their vacant GM job. So, it's kinda like a demotion.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well howie Roseman is a jets fan, he even says so in his bio. he probably thought that was the way things are done.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    It's basically a lateral move position-wise, it appears. But it's obvious one of the best teams in the league wasn't going out of their way to keep him around and then he landed with one of the most disappointing ones. And this after another major disappointment reportedly passed on him for their vacant GM job. So, it's kinda like a demotion.
    I think Balke must be a tough guy to work with. Gamble and Scot McCloughan and Balke all came up at the same time, Balke came out on top and the other two guys bailed.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Are you denying that the Jets job had some real issues attached to it that might make a guy think twice about the situation? Some people simply have principles or thoughts on how things should be done. We have no idea what the interview was like or how the guy reacted.

If the Jets job was the top of line the line job Caldwell would be here right now, not Idzik. He chose Jacksonville over us.
    You forget your own advice here. You are right, we have no idea. Maybe Caldwell chose Jax because he didn't want to surrender 15% of his salary in state and local taxes. Maybe he wanted to live somewhere where a million dollars buys a beachfront mansion and not a studio on 10th Ave.
    Many of us often forget that factors like these put the Jets at a huge disadvantage when recruiting talent (free agents, or front office) from other parts of the country.

As for Gamble it does seem like an odd lateral move away from a Super Bowl team.
    As for

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Are you denying that the Jets job had some real issues attached to it that might make a guy think twice about the situation? Some people simply have principles or thoughts on how things should be done. We have no idea what the interview was like or how the guy reacted.

If the Jets job was the top of line the line job Caldwell would be here right now, not Idzik. He chose Jacksonville over us.
    Except it was widely reported by reputable sources that Gamble TURNED DOWN other interviews to focus on getting the Jets job.

Jesus Fing Christ it hasn't been a month since this happened and we're already changing facts around to suit your personal slant....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I realize that judging a book by it's cover doesn't always work, but it usually gives you a pretty good idea of the contents. Gamble looks like a dinosaur. Like he's right out of the 50s. He may be a great personnel guy, that takes his lunch pail to work consistently everyday, but he sure doesn't look like a forward thinking charismatic shark. He probably came in with a 5 year plan to contention, and put Woody to sleep. I would have liked to go with Popp, but that may have been too over the top for the Circus. I'm a fan of playing to win, and going for broke. Good things do not come to those who wait, they come to those who go get them. Idzik may be one of those guys, but Gamble, despite the name seems more like a slow, and steady blue collar type. Perfect for an assistant to the GM, but I wouldn't want him running the show, and apparently neither would anyone else... except maybe Beerfish, but he seems to like everyone that is not a Jet.