Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Philly hires Tom Gamble

Philly hires Tom Gamble

The Philadelphia Eagles have hired Tom Gamble to become the teamís Vice President of Player Personnel. In this role, Gamble will report directly to General Manager Howie Roseman and work in both the college and pro personnel departments.

Gamble spent eight seasons with the San Francisco 49ers, including the last two years as Director of Player Personnel. During those two seasons, the 49ers reached the NFC Championship Game (2011) and the Super Bowl (2012), while earning 18 combined Pro Bowl selections.
    http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/mu...9-686eaea048a6

Veteran
    Curious move. Something isn't right with this guy

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    I know what you mean. Regular people just don't **** on someone's desk during an interview.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I know what you mean. Regular people just don't **** on someone's desk during an interview.
    LOL.... allegedly

Following his father, who was In the Eagles front office 20 yrs ago.

Hall Of Fame
    I still like Gamble. I just think he wasn't polished and articulate in his interviews. Or he didn't tell people what they wanted to hear.

Is this a downgrade for him? From Director of Player Personnel to VP of Player Personnel. I both roles he is under the GM but just judging by the title it does not seem like a promotion. Maybe someone could shed some light on the Eagles hierarchy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I still like Gamble. I just think he wasn't polished and articulate in his interviews. Or he didn't tell people what they wanted to hear.

Is this a downgrade for him? From Director of Player Personnel to VP of Player Personnel. I both roles he is under the GM but just judging by the title it does not seem like a promotion. Maybe someone could shed some light on the Eagles hierarchy.
    I think he's doing the same exact thing, no matter what the title. He's in charge of personnel all the way up to the GM. VP is probably a slightly better "title" than Director, at least I know it is in my company. But for all intents and purposes this smells like a lateral move.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

He took a promotion. VP is higher then director.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I think he's doing the same exact thing, no matter what the title. He's in charge of personnel all the way up to the GM. VP is probably a slightly better "title" than Director, at least I know it is in my company. But for all intents and purposes this smells like a lateral move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    It appears that it is essentially a lateral move.

The Eagles also have a Director of Player Personnel, Louis Riddick who is now working under Gamble. So they have both a VP of Player Personnel and a Director of Player Personnel. The 49ers did not have a VP of Player Personnel, Gamble was their chief personnel guy.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/staff.html
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 02-13-2013 at 06:15 PM.

He probably laughed when Woody said he had to retain Rex. Laughed more when woody told him Rex would have a say in who was drafted. The laughed more when he looked at our salary cap numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    He probably laughed when Woody said he had to retain Rex. Laughed more when woody told him Rex would have a say in who was drafted. The laughed more when he looked at our salary cap numbers.
    And then cried after not getting the Jets job, even though he tried like hell to get it. But let's not let facts get in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    And then cried after not getting the Jets job, even though he tried like hell to get it. But let's not let facts get in the way.
    Are you denying that the Jets job had some real issues attached to it that might make a guy think twice about the situation? Some people simply have principles or thoughts on how things should be done. We have no idea what the interview was like or how the guy reacted.

If the Jets job was the top of line the line job Caldwell would be here right now, not Idzik. He chose Jacksonville over us.

And I laughed at this post..

Jets Insider VIP
    No, it's a lateral move. The director position in the SF organization is the equivelent of VP in the Philly organization based on the job description.

He was looking for a GM job and then took a lateral move to another organization. He might have wanted to come home since he's a Jersey guy.

Are you denying that the Jets job had some real issues attached to it that might make a guy think twice about the situation? Some people simply have principles or thoughts on how things should be done. We have no idea what the interview was like or how the guy reacted.

If the Jets job was the top of line the line job Caldwell would be here right now, not Idzik. He chose Jacksonville over us.
    How do you know? Maybe Caldwell didn't take the job because he doesn't like the spotlight?.........and plus if we didn't have real issues we wouldn't have been looking for a new GM.........every team looking for a GM had issues and are trying to find someone to fix it.......Not a top of the line job? There are only 32 jobs like this in the world....

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    I think you're confusing him with Sundquist.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I think you're confusing him with Sundquist.
    "They couldn't give the job away!!!!!!!!"

Veteran
    Actually, it's not. Director is higher in every industry I'm familiar with (except maybe the White House), so I'm viewing this as a demotion.

Actually, it's not. Director is higher in every industry I'm familiar with (except maybe the White House), so I'm viewing this as a demotion.
    It depends on the industry, most places VP is higher than Director, the only place I've seen where it isn't is in Finance (banking). That's just what I've seen personally. I know in insurance VP is two levels above Director, with AVP in-between them.

Read the job descriptions it's essentially the same thing he was doing in SF and in both places he reports to the GM.