Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guess which team is 32nd in Salary Cap Hell?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Call Obama! We need a bailout!

Forget Sandy, we got hit with Superstorm Sanchez.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    For many teams in true SC hell, it takes 2 or 3 years to dig out. We can do it in one season. Yes, it will be an austerity program and we won't be signing much new talent this year so don't expect 10-6 or better, but by 2014 we'll be in pretty good shape and able to be back in contention. That's the price we have to pay for the way Tannenbaum managed the roster the past five years. Sucks, but the league has seen worse.
    No it doesn't. If you're willing to do what the Colts did, it never takes more than a year or two.

You go into an offseason saying "We're not paying anyone more than $1M/yr in free agency" and cut a bunch of overpaid players. Any team in cap hell can get out of it by simply cutting a few players. We're fortunate that the players that have us in a bad spot aren't even productive players.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

And Hurricane Holmes. A real double whammy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    1 Oakland - Basically any player worth having is either a FA or on the copping block. They WILL be the worst team next year almost certain.
    2 Dallas - Romo is going to want a new deal this year. I know if I'm his agent I'm telling him to go home and not come out until they give you 5 years 100 mil. Thanks Philly for setting that bar. FA wise not loosing any huge names but still better players then what we have hitting FA.
    3 Detroit - Basically half of their cap is going to 4 guys. They have a few really good FA an not a lot of options. They are not improving this year and they didn't look good last year.
    4 JETS - Yeah not a lot of cap room but no real FA either. For all the resign Landry he will likely not make over 5 mil a year in FA. That is a far cry from what Detroit has hitting the market. If we where about to loose guys they are then I'd be panicking.
    5 Zona - This is just what happens when your GM lets your WR make QB money and tell you who he wants on O.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    True, but while the Jets do not have to cut anyone that is of great value because of the cap, they dont really have the ability to go out and replace those players with a great amount of resources. So while I agree things are not as dire as some say, they are not exactly great either.
    That is it in a nutshell, The jets will probably lose 4 or 5 productive players but they will also "lose" 4 or 5 overpaid players. Losing some productive players should be expected every couple of years, that is how the cap works. The thing with the jets is that they don't have the money this year to obtain better players to replace the ones that will leave on a team that finished 6-10.

I don't understand the reluctance of some jet fans just to rebuild from the ground up.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Redskins are in the worst shape. What with being restricted to $105M instead of $121M next year. (Not including whatever their rollover is)

Not to mention not having a first-rounder for a couple of years. They went all-in on RG3.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Not to mention not having a first-rounder for a couple of years. They went all-in on RG3.
    If I'm a Skins fan it was totally worth it. RG3 is fun as hell to watch.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    From the Master (Jason423)

Looking at the New York Jets Salary Cap Part 3- The Final Conclusions
    Well now it comes time to wrap it up. If you made it this far congratulations that was a massive read. If you skipped to here well you probably made the smart choice! If you want to go back and review here is Part 1 and Part 2, but more likely you just want to know what is the new bottom line? Here is where we now stand:

2013 Cap: $94,669,553
    2013 Cash: $109,366,079
    2013 Cap space: $29,830,447
    2014 Cap: $99,888,929
    2014 Cash:$62,774,817

Not bad. We went from $26,159,803 over the salary cap to $29,830,447 under the salary cap while reducing our cash spending by about $22 million. In doing so we reduced our 2014 payroll by nearly 17 million and created nearly 9 million in future cap room. The only players we needed to release to do it are Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Tim Tebow, Eric Smith, and Jason Smith. Iím not missing any of those players. I doubt you are either. Tebow was the only player who was removed from the 2014 roster so its not like we gutted our future to gain cap room in 2013.

We would still be able to release Mark Sanchez either in September or next year and could do the same with Santonio Holmes if he is healthy in 2013 so we donít have any new guarantees to worry about in 2014. The only true long term commitments are Antonio Cromartie and David Harris who now become part of the roster thru at least 2015. The Jets only have 11 players under contract in 2015 so its no big deal for two players to extend beyond what may be their useful life. Remember all of these numbers include projections for the 2013 NFL Draft so this is money in excess of the rookie class. Itís a lot of spending money.

Does it mean the Jets will want to make all of these moves? No but I think the work here at least dispels the notion that GMís did not want to touch the job because of the salary cap. If a guy sitting at a computer desk in his office can detail this plan Iíd expect a GM candidate to do the same rather than coming out and blasting the organization as lost and in a ďcap nightmareĒ. Salary cap hell is a term used for teams that are in a position where they have to release or trade contributing players because of the salary cap. The Jets were in that place in 2006 where they realistically could not keep certain players because of cap considerations. Cap hell is not a situation where you get rid of dead weight and restructure a few deals and get spending room. And please donít tell me the Jets cap is keeping them from re-signing Revis. Revisí asking price is what keeps the Jets and probably 27 other teams from even considering it.

The Jets structured many of these deals in preparation for this and while it will certainly take some elbow grease to get these kind of deals done it is not entirely out of the realm of possibilities. Harrisí proposed extension is the only one that really concerns me, even more than asking Holmes to take a paycut in 2013. He is the only person to really wield power over the Jets and have no incentive to change a thing. They may need to meet somewhere in the middle of my suggestion which could be a dealbreaker for me. Even still it leaves the Jets with more than enough cap room to get by. Well in closing I hope if you made it this far you enjoyed the read, typos and all. Feel free to leave any of your comments in any section of the articles, in the forums, email or anywhere else on the web as Iíll likely see it at some point and be able to comment on it. Go Jets!
    http://nyjetscap.com/2013_Articles/j...cap-part3.html

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

Accu-Weather might sue; leave Sanchez' name out of all future speculation or they'll take our F*** It Money!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Chicken littles should read Jason's nyjetscap article.

The "woe is me" Jets/Mets attitude is the worst, and contributes a lot towards the perception of the Jets as a laughingstock.

Cap hell is when you have to cut productive players. We are not in that situation.
    +1

I think the Idzik hire took so long because Korn and Ferry were interviewing half of the members of this board.

Whew, glad things worked out!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Chicken littles should read Jason's nyjetscap article.

The "woe is me" Jets/Mets attitude is the worst, and contributes a lot towards the perception of the Jets as a laughingstock.
    Interestingly... when I listen to sports radio and watch national sports shows and the JETS are discussed, the laughingstock portion comes up without CAP being discussed.

Usually it is the butt fumble, our coach's mouth , our 6 and 10 record, Tebow, Holmes etc....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    We are 3 over the hill player cuts away from being almost 10 million under.. And thats before we drop guys like tebow and eric smith ect.. And restructure Sanchez maybe even Holmes and/or Harris..

The cap situation isnt no where as bad as it seems .

Although it's not a bad as most media are making it out to be, it's not as easy as you think, either. You DO have to replace all the bodies that need to be cut to get under the cap. And there's no way to get Sanchez to restructure without giving him an extension. And I doubt any one wants that. In any event, it would seem to be only a one year squeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Although everyone should respect Jason for his knowledge and his effort in explaining the cap there are a couple of flies in the ointment. Jason is neither your coach, your GM, nor your owner, so nothing says they will make the moves that Jason puts forth in his missive.

Second, no one here, Jason included, knows how much dead money Woody is willing to swallow or how much he's willing to open his checkbook. Woody is carrying one of the highest levels of debt service in the NFL. Add to that the failure to sell the priciest PSLs, declining revenues at the games due to people staying away, and a smaller than expected salary cap, Woody may not be in the position or have the willingness to spend a lot of money in 2013.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Although it's not a bad as most media are making it out to be, it's not as easy as you think, either. You DO have to replace all the bodies that need to be cut to get under the cap. And there's no way to get Sanchez to restructure without giving him an extension. And I doubt any one wants that. In any event, it would seem to be only a one year squeeze.

Although everyone should respect Jason for his knowledge and his effort in explaining the cap there are a couple of flies in the ointment. Jason is neither your coach, your GM, nor your owner, so nothing says they will make the moves that Jason puts forth in his missive.

Second, no one here, Jason included, knows how much dead money Woody is willing to swallow or how much he's willing to open his checkbook. Woody is carrying one of the highest levels of debt service in the NFL. Add to that the failure to sell the priciest PSLs, declining revenues at the games due to people staying away, and a smaller than expected salary cap, Woody may not be in the position or have the willingness to spend a lot of money in 2013.
    And yet, here you are on your pedestal, thinking you have a clue, lecturing all of us, with your usual anti-Jets conjecture.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    We need to follow the Indy model. DO NOT push cap hits into future years and just deal with all the dead money now. Hope you hit in the draft and catch lighting in a bottle. Don't really spend anything in free agency. Plan for the future. Cut Sanchez, Scott, Thomas, Smith, Smith, Pace, etc....go super young and start building a long term winner.
    lol... i don't mean to laugh because fact is, YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT..

however... and this has been covered in past threads... WOODY JOHNSON IS ALL IN FOR 2013!!!

What that means is HE HAS STUCK WITH REX BC REX GIVES US THE BEST CHANCE FOR THE PLAYOFFS... We are NOT rebuilding!!

WE are RE-LOADING!!

Does Sanchez suck? yeah, probably... Are the Jets in a bad spot financially? Of course they are.

But this is it.. This is REX's FINAL shot at giving us a Superbowl... If they miss the playoffs, he's fired.. and THEN the rebuilding will begin i.e. Goodbye Sanchez, Tebow, Holmes, Revis, all of them..

But not this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    We are 3 over the hill player cuts away from being almost 10 million under.. And thats before we drop guys like tebow and eric smith ect.. And restructure Sanchez maybe even Holmes and/or Harris..

The cap situation isnt no where as bad as it seems .
    +1

All these "The Jets are in cap hell" articles and doom and gloomers are using figures that include Jason Smith's $12,000,000 salary that the Jets will take off once he's cut.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Interestingly... when I listen to sports radio and watch national sports shows and the JETS are discussed, the laughingstock portion comes up without CAP being discussed.

Usually it is the butt fumble, our coach's mouth , our 6 and 10 record, Tebow, Holmes etc....
    90% of the clowns on sports radio have amateur level knowledge at best of what is actually going on. You think people like Stephanie A Smif and Bonehead and Corny know the Jason Smith is a $12 mil cap savings if cut or that Pace and Scott are like a $23 mil cap savings combined when cut?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    cutting jason smith and pace just about gets us under the cap

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    And yet, here you are on your pedestal, thinking you have a clue, lecturing all of us, with your usual anti-Jets conjecture.
    Huh? Wtf are you talking about?

How do you get from my post that I'm "up on a pedestal", that I'm "lecturing", or that my post was 'anti-Jets". You lost any sense of objectivity Rah Rah, if you had any to begin with.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    We need to follow the Indy model. DO NOT push cap hits into future years and just deal with all the dead money now. Hope you hit in the draft and catch lighting in a bottle. Don't really spend anything in free agency. Plan for the future. Cut Sanchez, Scott, Thomas, Smith, Smith, Pace, etc....go super young and start building a long term winner.
    Indy model? Draft Payton Manning and follow it up with Andrew Luck. Good model.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post

You do realize dead money doesnt equal cash expenditures? Much of the dead money that the Jets will incur by cutting the obvious players is the remaining prorated portion of a bonus that was given in the past, that now must be accounted for.