Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guess which team is 32nd in Salary Cap Hell?

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You do realize dead money doesnt equal cash expenditures? Much of the dead money that the Jets will incur by cutting the obvious players is the remaining prorated portion of a bonus that was given in the past, that now must be accounted for.
    Yes, I understand that dead money is not NEW money, but money already paid and "lost" because you no longer have the services of that player. It is the new player that comes in to replace the cut player that usually costs new money in the form of a signing bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    1 Oakland - Basically any player worth having is either a FA or on the copping block. They WILL be the worst team next year almost certain.
    2 Dallas - Romo is going to want a new deal this year. I know if I'm his agent I'm telling him to go home and not come out until they give you 5 years 100 mil. Thanks Philly for setting that bar. FA wise not loosing any huge names but still better players then what we have hitting FA.
    3 Detroit - Basically half of their cap is going to 4 guys. They have a few really good FA an not a lot of options. They are not improving this year and they didn't look good last year.
    4 JETS - Yeah not a lot of cap room but no real FA either. For all the resign Landry he will likely not make over 5 mil a year in FA. That is a far cry from what Detroit has hitting the market. If we where about to loose guys they are then I'd be panicking.
    5 Zona - This is just what happens when your GM lets your WR make QB money and tell you who he wants on O.
    Exactly. Everyone panicking because we have no cap space, but we can pretty much keep every important Jet heading into next year. If we had to say goodbye to Dbrick or Mangold or Cro or even Revis because we didn't have the cap space to retain them, THEN i would be worried, but the players we are FORCED to cut/lose were terrible anyway (outside of Landry). Losing the likes of Jason/Eric Smith, bart scott, Pace, Greene, Keller, slausson, moore and a few others does not impact the Jets too much next year. There are plenty of young guys or jags they can bring in, at min contracts, to do the same average job their predeccessors did.

If we had the leagues 14th best/worst cap situation with the same roster our situation heading into next wouldn't be that much different. It's not like having a little extra cap space would insure us a better QB/RB/LB/G.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Yes, I understand that dead money is not NEW money, but money already paid and "lost" because you no longer have the services of that player. It is the new player that comes in to replace the cut player that usually costs new money in the form of a signing bonus.
    Thats not true either. The dead money is the result of cutting players that resulted in a savings that far exceeded the dead money. All the obvious cuts the Jets are making fall into that category. So "eating" dead money as you say will not prevent Woody from spending. The Jets are still limited by their cap restrictions, but the notion that because Woody is eating dead money, therefore he will not be willing to spend is simply false.