Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Per Rotoworld: Laron Landry seeking $6 million a year

Per Rotoworld: Laron Landry seeking $6 million a year

According to ESPN New York, free agent SS LaRon Landry is "believed" to be seeking $6 million a year.
    For the elite safety Landry envisions himself being, it's actually not ridiculous money. Landry, somewhat surprisingly, made it through a full 16-game season in 2012 and forced six turnovers while recording 100 tackles. Last July, the Raiders signed SS Tyvon Branch to a four-year deal averaging $6.65 million annually. So Landry isn't trying to become the richest safety in the game.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4178/laron-landry
    So what's the verdict?

Is Landry worth 6 mil a year? Seems a bit expensive for a safety. I'm sure Landry will test the market, but I doubt he'll get that much. I'll take him back for 4 mil a hyear. Anything more, forget about it.

All Pro
    Im worried that the injuries will pop up again the minute he signs the deal.

I'd give him the deal with games played incentives.

Fact is that this dude has a pretty well documented injury history. 4 million base, 2 million bonus for all 16 games played.

See you later, LaRon.

All Pro
    Not a ridiculous asking price for a player of his quality.

Of course, as the team, you'd want injury protections written into the deal - the kind of per-game active bonuses that Landry earned with the Jets this year.

Trouble is, from the player's and agent's perspective, that's the last thing you want to agree to. They will be pushing hard for a big guaranteed number up-front, which would be a major risk for any team given his injury history.

In a perfect world, if we had the cap room, I'd probably offer him near his asking price with some injury offset language. But I don't think it will happen - he will go somewhere with more cap room for a bigger guarantee.

Hall Of Fame
    I would offer him 2yr/$12MM or 3yr/$15MM fully guaranteed. I don't think he would take it but it is worth a shot.

But to maximize his value we would need to add a true FS that can play center field and cover.

Not a snowball's chance in hell that Idzik pays him that kind of scratch.

Hall Of Fame
    Guys like Antrell Rolle are making 7 million this year, Woodson 6.5, Eric Weddle 6, Quinton Mikell 6, Tyvonn Branch 6.

Safety shouldn't be too difficult a position to improve at. Not sure why our FO has struggled to get somebody for this long.

Either way, I would NOT pay a safety that much. No way.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Not a ridiculous asking price for a player of his quality.

Of course, as the team, you'd want injury protections written into the deal - the kind of per-game active bonuses that Landry earned with the Jets this year.

Trouble is, from the player's and agent's perspective, that's the last thing you want to agree to. They will be pushing hard for a big guaranteed number up-front, which would be a major risk for any team given his injury history.

In a perfect world, if we had the cap room, I'd probably offer him near his asking price with some injury offset language. But I don't think it will happen - he will go somewhere with more cap room for a bigger guarantee.
    He's definitely going to want more guaranteed money.

When he signed his contract last year, he was basically making very little money. And if he had gotten hurt, the Jets would have only had to pay him basically peanuts.

Now that he's proven that he can stay healthy for a whole year, he's definitely going to want more money.

Undrafted Free Agent
    so its an extra 2 mill from last year. IF he can play and stay healthy the way he did last year... id give it to him. That is a HUGE IF though and I dont know if the Jets are willing to take the risk based on that if.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Excellent player but I'd rather use that money towards Revis.

All League
    Remember... It's his ASKING price.

All Pro
    How much does Bell want.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    How much does Bell want.
    It doesn't matter. He's 35 years old and can easily be replaced.

He won't be back next year.

Veteran
    I don't think Landry's asking price is unreasonable. Safety is an experience-based position; I don't think you can expect to have two draft choices back there and have good enough play.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    Not a snowball's chance in hell that Idzik pays him that kind of scratch.
    Not when we have that 1st round powerhouse Kyle Wilson.

Hall Of Fame
    It is a tough one but it in the neighborhood of what I think his contribution is worth. As others have said, guaranteed years will be the big thing.

So he's asking for 6 and was making 4. Probably settle for 5. Trade Cromartie and he brings back 1.25M this year and 9.75M next year. I say definitely resign Landry at this price. Draft a free safety. Resign Revis and we'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    How much does Bell want.
    I wasn't impressed with Bell this past year like a lot of you guys seem to be. I saw him miss a lot of tackles and he is slow......just my opinion