Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

Thread: Per Rotoworld: Laron Landry seeking $6 million a year

  1. #21
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,357
    They are not using the money towards Revis. Revis is a goner. Noway hes on the roster opening day. It sucks but it is a way for the Jets to rebuild faster. Had we been a contender, Revis wouldn't be going anywhere. But facts are facts and this team needs a lot. We need way to much to pay a CB close to 100 mil.

    Landry will easily get 6 mil per. Someone will fork over 5/30 or 6/36. It's not a crazy deal and other safeties are making more.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    So what's the verdict?

    Is Landry worth 6 mil a year? Seems a bit expensive for a safety. I'm sure Landry will test the market, but I doubt he'll get that much. I'll take him back for 4 mil a hyear. Anything more, forget about it.
    So you don't think he deserves more money based on how he played this year.

  3. #23
    I don't think the Jets should commit 6/mil a year to this guy. Your team needs a pretty solid roster overhaul to lose a lot of dead weight and bring on some new guys. I think it is a minimum 2 seasons before they're competing for the division again and by that time they would have sunk 6-12m into a player who is getting up there.

    They're not a LaRon Landry away from competing.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    So he's asking for 6 and was making 4. Probably settle for 5. Trade Cromartie and he brings back 1.25M this year and 9.75M next year. I say definitely resign Landry at this price. Draft a free safety. Resign Revis and we'll be fine.
    I love the idea that you have to keep talent no matter what the position they play but in the reality of the salary cap era resigning Revis & Landry on what will be big multi-year deals will mean a lot of cap tied up in two 28 year olds coming off a major ACL injury and long term chronic Achilles problem.As much as I want them both to be Jets that's a little scary in reality

  5. #25
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Somerville, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,734
    i'd spend it for landry. a safety that is feared over the middle, plays VERY well down in the box, blitzes like a mad man and is decent in coverage is a HUGE plus for the defense. move landry to strong safety and draft a free safety.

    it might be a reach, but i've seen Vaccaro from Texas linked to us at #9. he's a solid FS, and with landry at SS, thats a duo i'd love to see.

  6. #26
    [QUOTE=fnordcircle;4812873]I don't think the Jets should commit 6/mil a year to this guy. Your team needs a pretty solid roster overhaul to lose a lot of dead weight and bring on some new guys. I think it is a minimum 2 seasons before they're competing for the division again and by that time they would have sunk 6-12m into a player who is getting up there.

    They're not a LaRon Landry away from competing.[/QUOTE]

    Which team is an injury prone 28 year old looking for big $$ away from competing?

  7. #27
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    3,124
    If I'm Idzy, I wouldn't break the bank on him. I'd offer him a 3 year 12 mil and if he no like, no problem. Move on.

  8. #28
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,587
    We can draft Eric Reid for one third the price

  9. #29
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,866
    It's not about what he wants, it's about what we can afford.

  10. #30
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Revis & Landry on what will be big multi-year deals will mean a lot of cap tied up in two 28 year olds coming off a major ACL injury and long term chronic Achilles problem.As much as I want them both to be Jets that's a little scary in reality
    You do realize we have Cromartie counting $10.75M against the cap for 2013 and he had an ACL tear as well? Everyone that's scared of signing Revis because of the ACL doesn't seem to notice that Cro bounced back no problem.

  11. #31
    I think he's a great safety but 6 mil is too much. I don't think he can stay healthy for the long-term so it's not worth the investment.

  12. #32
    3 years 12 mil he is not worth 6 mil.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellaz View Post
    You do realize we have Cromartie counting $10.75M against the cap for 2013 and he had an ACL tear as well? Everyone that's scared of signing Revis because of the ACL doesn't seem to notice that Cro bounced back no problem.
    Personally I'm making the assumption that before we sign Revis we would need to be comfortable with his progress. Cromartie is an excellent player, but if one had to go it should be Cromartie. He's coming of an all pro year and he'll be 29 years of age this season. This may be the last year we can actually cash in on him. We'd also save cap money this year and next. Revis would actually cost us $3M to trade.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Im worried that the injuries will pop up again the minute he signs the deal.
    The injuries will absolutely pop up again with Landry. Last year was a fluke he is very injury prone. However, we cannot lose both Landry and Revis this off-season we will end up with the most putrid secondary in the NFL next season.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    It doesn't matter. He's 35 years old and can easily be replaced.

    He won't be back next year.
    Bell played better than Landry last year IMHO. Landry wiffed more than a few times, and went for the big hit rather than the tackle. I recognize that Landry is the better talent, but he is an enforcer in an era where enforcers have been gelded.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Bell played better than Landry last year IMHO. Landry wiffed more than a few times, and went for the big hit rather than the tackle. I recognize that Landry is the better talent, but he is an enforcer in an era where enforcers have been gelded.
    I seem to recall Landry laying out quite a few hits that weren't penalized or fined, so its premature to say that enforcers have been gelded. As discussed before, they just have to be more selective with their timing

    That said, the key points have been hit upon. $6 mil is not an unreasonable price for a really good safety. Landry has a history of getting injured, so that is a concern. The Jets are in a tight financial situation AND will probably be rebuilding, so its questionable whether to pay that much for a safety for the next 2 years.

    So, presuming you can sign him Landry to an incentive based contract to protect against injury, are we in a complete rebuild mode ? Or are we just kind of retooling ?

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    I seem to recall Landry laying out quite a few hits that weren't penalized or fined, so its premature to say that enforcers have been gelded. As discussed before, they just have to be more selective with their timing

    That said, the key points have been hit upon. $6 mil is not an unreasonable price for a really good safety. Landry has a history of getting injured, so that is a concern. The Jets are in a tight financial situation AND will probably be rebuilding, so its questionable whether to pay that much for a safety for the next 2 years.

    So, presuming you can sign him Landry to an incentive based contract to protect against injury, are we in a complete rebuild mode ? Or are we just kind of retooling ?
    If rebuilding .... The question may be ....

    Is a 2 million Bell worth more than a 6 million Landry.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Not a ridiculous asking price for a player of his quality.

    Of course, as the team, you'd want injury protections written into the deal - the kind of per-game active bonuses that Landry earned with the Jets this year.

    Trouble is, from the player's and agent's perspective, that's the last thing you want to agree to. They will be pushing hard for a big guaranteed number up-front, which would be a major risk for any team given his injury history.

    In a perfect world, if we had the cap room, I'd probably offer him near his asking price with some injury offset language. But I don't think it will happen - he will go somewhere with more cap room for a bigger guarantee.
    Agreed. He's at least as good as Tyvon Branch when healthy. The injury history is a bit daunting though so as mentioned the Jets will need to be protected and build in the incentives in his contract towards a full game season.

  19. #39
    Give him the 6m per year!
    We need a guy like him at safety. He makes opponent WRs not go over the middle, plus he also proved he can be a ballhawk and go for a pick and take it to the house

  20. #40

    Thumbs up

    Landry played great last season for us, BUT I predict we sign Bills FA Safety Jarius Byrd !!!

    This guy is a play-maker, and he is young, with lots of solid future ahead of him...with God-in-Cleats (Ed Reed) probably playing only 1 more year, Byrd could step up as the next TOP NFL safety...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us