Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Was the lack of competition at QB Rex's fault?

Was the lack of competition at QB Rex's fault?

I'm not so sure anymore. Tanny's interview on Fatty's show was very eye opening for me.

He took full responsibility for the teams woes and said he was the guy with final say on all players.

Mark Sanchez was never challenged in his career and IMO it has been part of the reason for a toxic lockerroom like so many fans have claimed.

Rex Ryan is also the kind of guy where if you were looking for answers to those kinds of questions you would never get an answer. Rex Ryan has some very good qualities. One of his best is his ability to always go TEAM. He never throws his players under the bus. Mark Sanchez was absolutely terrible last season. But you'd never know it if you were relying on Rex Ryan to tell things like they are. That is Rex Ryan protecting his players and shouldering the blame.

Those are rare qualities found in a HC. Besides Bill Parcells, I wonder if any other HC the Jets ever employed had as much character and honor.

My feeling is that this season is going to in stark contrast to Rex's first 4 seasons in NY. There will be straight up competition at almost every position on the field. I believe that will bring out the best in everyone and certainly end the lockerrom toxicity if there ever was any.

I used to think you had a goatee. Now I realize it's just the stain from kissing Rex's ass all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I'm not so sure anymore. Tanny's interview on Fatty's show was very eye opening for me.

He took full responsibility for the teams woes and said he was the guy with final say on all players.

Mark Sanchez was never challenged in his career and IMO it has been part of the reason for a toxic lockerroom like so many fans have claimed.

Rex Ryan is also the kind of guy where if you were looking for answers to those kinds of questions you would never get an answer. Rex Ryan has some very good qualities. One of his best is his ability to always go TEAM. He never throws his players under the bus. Mark Sanchez was absolutely terrible last season. But you'd never know it if you were relying on Rex Ryan to tell things like they are. That is Rex Ryan protecting his players and shouldering the blame.

Those are rare qualities found in a HC. Besides Bill Parcells, I wonder if any other HC the Jets ever employed had as much character and honor.

My feeling is that this season is going to in stark contrast to Rex's first 4 seasons in NY. There will be straight up competition at almost every position on the field. I believe that will bring out the best in everyone and certainly end the lockerrom toxicity if there ever was any.
    Yes. Walt Michaels and Eric Mangini.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I used to think you had a goatee. Now I realize it's just the stain from kissing Rex's ass all the time.
    Unless you can contribute constructively to the thread without resorting to stupid accusations or personal attacks get out and don't come back. You bring nothing to this board when you start making it sound like it is grounds to fire Rex Ryan for things like flipping off a heckling fan at an ultimate fighting event. That's stupidity in it's purest form.

And in regards to my objective view of Rex Ryan:

If you don't like it, you can KMA?

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Yes. Walt Michaels and Eric Mangini.
    I'm not going to pretend like I knew a lot about Walt Michaels, but Eric Mangini?! That's nuts.

Would you rather have a guy that plays to win or a guy who plays not to lose. Because playing not to lose is EXACTLY what Eric mangini was all about. That and late season collapses.

So although I don't see where you could claim Mangini had more character and honor than Rex Ryan, you could probably make a case for that. This is all opinion.

But you would also never have a good team under Eric Mangini. He was a Marty Schottenheimer waiting in the wings. A guy who coaches so conservatively he basically handcuffs his own team. I think that shows that he didn't trust his own team.

Prime example was the NE game is 2008. Mangini's Jets were kicking the sh*t out of the Patsies in Fagsboro to the tune of 24-6. So what does Mangini do? He starts playing that prevent defense midway through the 2nd quarter for crying out loud. The, the Patsies came back and tied it and pushed the game into OT needlessly. The Jets could have bled them out by half way through the 3rd quarter if they had continued to play aggressively.

Why would a HC who was fully behind his QB and had a competitive team want to have a QB competition? Sanchez was drafted with no other options on the roster. Rex and Shotty worked him out and wanted him. He was able to manage us to two playoff apperances and playoff wins. We changed OC's and it made no sense to install a new O without giving your QB all the reps.

We all want a better QB but this QB competition nonesense is just that nonesense.

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Why would a HC who was fully behind his QB and had a competitive team want to have a QB competition? Sanchez was drafted with no other options on the roster. Rex and Shotty worked him out and wanted him. He was able to manage us to two playoff apperances and playoff wins. We changed OC's and it made no sense to install a new O without giving your QB all the reps.

We all want a better QB but this QB competition nonesense is just that nonesense.
    Bingo.

Although we have every right to be upset about bringing in Tebow as the backup and tossing Drew Stanton out. Rex deserves blame for sticking with Mark.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Tannenbaum made the collosal blunder of trading picks for Tebow, paying him +$3 million, then cutting Drew Stanton...and also paying him his 2012 salary as a parting gift. Also could've drafted Russell Wilson, who Bradway was adamant about us taking.

Rex sucks as a coach but the QB situation was not his fault

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Pretty funny. Not taking sides..just funny.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51 View Post
    Bingo.

Although we have every right to be upset about bringing in Tebow as the backup and tossing Drew Stanton out. Rex deserves blame for sticking with Mark.
    and allowing mark to go to his kids HS games. THAT is a perfect conflict of interest.

REX has averaged less than 9 wins a season and is on a downward spiral.

There is no defending his lack of management acument. His passion is unquestioned but so is mine.

All Pro

Agreed. "I've made my decision. Wait. Maybe I should second guess myself".

The media invented meme that just won't die.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    and allowing mark to go to his kids HS games. THAT is a perfect conflict of interest.

REX has averaged less than 9 wins a season and is on a downward spiral.

There is no defending his lack of management acument. His passion is unquestioned but so is mine.
    Huh? Maybe it's something, but not 'conflict of interest'.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Tannenbaum made the collosal blunder of trading picks for Tebow, paying him +$3 million, then cutting Drew Stanton...
    If Stanton was on the roster last year, Rex would have benched Sanchez alot earlier, probably around mid-season based on Sanchez poor play.

If Stanton played well and took the Jets to the playoffs by going 6-2 over the 2nd half, nobody would be talking about the Jets QB situation today.

I completely disagree with this. Competition is as vital to a football organizations health as anything you've ever held sacred. Competition keeps everyone honest and brings out the best. It forces the cream to rise to the top. Without compettion WTF is the point of even having a TC?

Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51 View Post
    Bingo.

And WHY does Rex deserve blame for sticking with Mark Sanchez. Were there any better option for QB on the Jets roster? I think not.

I used to blame Rex for his illogical loyalty to Sanchez also during the last season. But the fact is, as ugly as it is to admit. Mark Sanchez WAS the best QB on the Jets roster. Rex went with the best QB on the roster. The guy that gave the Jets the best chance to win. How can you blame Rex for that?

This idea that Mark was never challenged is moronic. The guy played under the microscope of the NY media and the most hateful fanbase in the NFL. Not to mention the fact that he was on a winning team with a top defense, putting even more pressure on him and the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    If Stanton was on the roster last year, Rex would have benched Sanchez alot earlier, probably around mid-season based on Sanchez poor play.

If Stanton played well and took the Jets to the playoffs by going 6-2 over the 2nd half, nobody would be talking about the Jets QB situation today.
    I 100% agree with this. Thank you TX for telling the truth whether Jets fans want to hear it or not.

I would also venture it wasn't a matter of IF Drew Stanton played better, he would have played better no doubt. Because playing ANY other established veteran QB like Drew Stanton is, would have been addition by subtraction. At the very least you don't have SFB Sanchez throwing the ball up for grabs. The amount of turnovers the Jets offense committed would have been far less and likely would have rsulted in more wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Tannenbaum made the collosal blunder of trading picks for Tebow, paying him +$3 million, then cutting Drew Stanton...and also paying him his 2012 salary as a parting gift. Also could've drafted Russell Wilson, who Bradway was adamant about us taking.

Rex sucks as a coach but the QB situation was not his fault
    They weren't drafting Russell Wilson in the 2nd round. No matter how much Bradway loved him. Seattle picked 2 picks before the Jets, who knows what they would have done if he was around (though, since they picked up Tebow, it's hard to imagine them drafting Wilson also)

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    This idea that Mark was never challenged is moronic. The guy played under the microscope of the NY media and the most hateful fanbase in the NFL. Not to mention the fact that he was on a winning team with a top defense, putting even more pressure on him and the offense.
    OK, then who was challenging him?

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I completely disagree with this. Competition is as vital to a football organizations health as anything you've ever held sacred. Competition keeps everyone honest and brings out the best. It forces the cream to rise to the top. Without compettion WTF is the point of even having a TC?
    Pure BS and not the way the NFL or any pro-league works.

The point of TC is to get your units playing as a unit and filling roster spots. Occassionally a top young player steps up and so stands out they take a job.

This is pro football and you don't develop chemistry and team unity by having a QB competition unless you don't have a QB who the coaching staff believes in.

The Jets organization believed in Sanchez and rightfully played him. The belief might have been misguided but that's not about competition that's about the organization's poor evaluation skills including the HC who was all in on the drafting of Sanchez.

Teams holding auditions at QB are not good teams.