Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 88

Thread: Was the lack of competition at QB Rex's fault?

  1. #41
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,825
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Yeah, actually I did because of so many dingbats like you saying Rex had control of the FO and he needs to be fired.

    And for your information genius, EVERY draft pick, 5th overall or 199th overall are CRAP SHOOTS, especially QB's.

    Boy, what a great team we'd have right now if Vinny Testaverde's niece were running the show.
    Please show me a single time I've ever called for Rex to be fired. Or that he had control of the FO for that matter. Please try and keep up.

  2. #42
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,040
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    And WHY does Rex deserve blame for sticking with Mark Sanchez. Were there any better option for QB on the Jets roster? I think not.

    I used to blame Rex for his illogical loyalty to Sanchez also during the last season. But the fact is, as ugly as it is to admit. Mark Sanchez WAS the best QB on the Jets roster. Rex went with the best QB on the roster. The guy that gave the Jets the best chance to win. How can you blame Rex for that?
    Delusional. Mark, towards the end of the season especially, LOST games for this team. McElroy or Tebow did (Ari game for Greg) would have been better.

  3. #43
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Please show me a single time I've ever called for Rex to be fired. Or that he had control of the FO for that matter. Please try and keep up.
    Yeah, that's exactly the problem with you. You never go out on a limb and claim anything. You just play Monday morning QB with everyone else's posts on an internet message board. How brilliant are you with that? You never get criticized for anything you say and you get to criticize everyone else by placing a different meaning on one sentence that someone else posts. A little arrogant don't you think?

  4. #44
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51 View Post
    Delusional. Mark, towards the end of the season especially, LOST games for this team. McElroy or Tebow did (Ari game for Greg) would have been better.
    Oh, so it's really delusional or criticism toward Rex just because he didn't bench Mark Sanchez as soon as YOU thought it was necessary? As if you are the HC and know better than the guy that's actually doing the job every day?

  5. #45
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,790
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Oh, so I guess Mike Tannenbaum was just lying to everyone when he said he had final player say? And how did Tanny's roster decision making change when Rex arrived? Can you explain that to me?
    No, Tannenbaum was not lying. He did have final say, but I stand behind my statement that Rex had a huge voice and influence on these decisions.

    Under Mangini, Tannenbaum generally acquired hard working, high character players. Under Rex, he generally acquired corners and ground and pound personnel. The philosophy changed drastically under each head coach.

  6. #46
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    No, Tannenbaum was not lying. He did have final say, but I stand behind my statement that Rex had a huge voice and influence on these decisions.

    Under Mangini, Tannenbaum generally acquired hard working, high character players. Under Rex, he generally acquired corners and ground and pound personnel. The philosophy changed drastically under each head coach.
    Yeah, OK I'm on board. Where there's smoke there's generally fire and everyone knows that Rex loves cornerbacks. Rex does have a large ego, so I can see where you are coming from. I just still believe Rex Ryan is the best HC we have had in a very long time. Certainly considering he's in his first stint as HC. Legitimate criticism.

  7. #47
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Its not hard to truly realize that in Rex's G&P offense there was never a need for a passing QB. His system isn't about throwing the ball its about running the clock and winning on D. He could have brought in Joe Namath as the backup it didn't really matter.

    Sanchez is getting the full blame for a true deriliction of duty by our HC. He never allowed our QB or offense to be anything other than his G&P vision.
    This is complete nonsense. Rex gave Sanchez the ground and pound to use to his ADVANTAGE. You know? A potent running game a young, confused QB can rely on when he needs it? He also gave that young QB one of the best OL's in football. He also went out and got top notch WR's like Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress. Rex literally coddled Mark Sanchez.

    Meanwhile, you want to throw Rex under the bus for claiming some crap like deriliction of duty?! He treated Mark Sanchez like solid gold.

  8. #48
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    If you're referring to CONSISTENCY and how important it is to a HC, then I agree with you. I never claimed Rex Ryan was god or even BB, but he's also in his first tenure as a HC. How did BB fare in his first HCing stint? I just think he's a damn good HC and the best HC the Jets could hope to have going forward. WAY better than Mangini will ever be. If you give Rex the talent he WILL get the most out of it. he's already shown that.

    And no it is not assinine to think Rex did more than Marty is his first HCing stint. The results speak for themselves even if you are blind to them.
    You don't seem to get it. Rex had a BIG say in talent. Tanny and Rex were joined at the hip and if REx said. "Tanny my boy our Qb sucks, better bring in competition for him' that would have happened. If Rex said, Brunnell? REally wtf? We would have had an upgrade. Tanny can blab all he wants that it was he that picked the team but not without REx making suggestions or signing off on moves.

  9. #49
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,825
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Yeah, that's exactly the problem with you. You never go out on a limb and claim anything. You just play Monday morning QB with everyone else's posts on an internet message board. How brilliant are you with that? You never get criticized for anything you say and you get to criticize everyone else by placing a different meaning on one sentence that someone else posts. A little arrogant don't you think?
    I am very consistent in what I say. Again- show me where I've ever called for Rex to be fired. Either pay attention or be quiet.

  10. #50
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    I am very consistent in what I say. Again- show me where I've ever called for Rex to be fired. Either pay attention or be quiet.
    You're very consistent with what you say? Yeah, consistently INCONSISTENT. WHAT have you ever said? Or better yet what haven't you said about someone else's posts? You are as full of sh*t as a christmas goose.

  11. #51
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,296
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's just summarize this so people don't get Maine Jet's knickers all in a bunch.

    Rex Ryan is the greatest coach. Nothing he does is wrong. He would have 4 SB rings as the coach of the Jets if it were not for the failings of everyone around him.

    Got it?

  12. #52
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    The ONLY way you develop team chemistry and team unity is by promoting the BEST players to starting jobs. You know because they are so talented, moreso than there veteran counterparts, they provide more opportunites for the team to build chemistry and unity?

    And I'll agree that teams holding QB auditions are not good teams. But how does that help out the rest of the team by just going with the guy with the big name?! All that does is build criticism from other players. It builds a cancerous lockerroom. Then, all the players start thinking is HOW do I kiss enough A$$ so that I will become a starter and get the big bucks.

    You know like when many players speaking on condition of anonymity called out Sanchez for never having been pushed in a QB competition and EARNING his job. Especially when all of those other players had to compete to keep their jobs?

    That is not how ANY well run organization runs a team.
    The Jets drafted him, they scouted him, worked him out have had him for a couple of years, believe in him. WTF are you talking about. You act like the Jets management including Rex don't have a clue when it comes to the draft and player talent.

    Well run teams like the Giants draft their QB and invest in him by putting talent around him getting rid of the malcontents that are cancers in the locker. They don't panic when they know they have the goods.

    Now if you want to make the argument that Tanny, Rex and Shotty had no clue in making the evoluation that would make sense. Defending Rex for not wasting time in the development of Sanchez when he believed in him is simply nonesense.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 02-14-2013 at 04:05 PM.

  13. #53
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,790
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    This is complete nonsense. Rex gave Sanchez the ground and pound to use to his ADVANTAGE. You know? A potent running game a young, confused QB can rely on when he needs it? He also gave that young QB one of the best OL's in football. He also went out and got top notch WR's like Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress. Rex literally coddled Mark Sanchez.

    Meanwhile, you want to throw Rex under the bus for claiming some crap like deriliction of duty?! He treated Mark Sanchez like solid gold.
    That's the big misconception everyone is making here. They say Sanchez should have thrived because he had a great Oline & the G&P running game that was effective in years 1 & 2.

    No , the real answer is the Jets O looked competent because it had the Oline & horses to run G&P. Sanchez was a game manager and was very seldom utilized in a way that could have really taken advantage of the Oline & running game. Normal coaches and offenses become much more aggressive and dynamic on offense when they can run like the Jets did. Rex/Jets never did that and was not to protect or coddle Sanchez it was the way Rex envisioned a offense to run.

    They never allowed Sanchez to develop into a passing QB it just did not fit into the HC's masterplan. At times when Shotty tried to open up the offense Rex shut him down. When he had to pass out of necessity the weapons he had were laughable at best, especially this past year.

    And please top notch Wr's ,Holmes & Burress. Holmes became disinterested because this abortion of an offense never got him the ball and Burress was never anything but a redzone threat, did you watch him run routes .

    And if you want to know who treated Sanchez like solid gold it was Tanny, Rex treated him like an afterthought like he did with most of the offense.

  14. #54
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    You don't seem to get it. Rex had a BIG say in talent. Tanny and Rex were joined at the hip and if REx said. "Tanny my boy our Qb sucks, better bring in competition for him' that would have happened. If Rex said, Brunnell? REally wtf? We would have had an upgrade. Tanny can blab all he wants that it was he that picked the team but not without REx making suggestions or signing off on moves.
    DUMB. Rex doesn't sign off the moves that his BOSS makes?! It's the other way around. THAT's how a correct football hierarchy works. Not some weird twisted conclusion that you've come to that has ZERO basis in fact.

    Did Tanny respect Rex's opinion? Of course he did or else they wouldn't be working together. Tanny would have fired Rex. Did Tanny ask his opinion before he made a move? Most likely yes. After all, that's the considerate thing to do.

    But saying that Rex wanted what he wanted and Tanny was his puppet is the most insanely idiotic thing I have ever heard. That's just a Rex haters excuse for hating him. Never mind that it is completely false. Truth has no place in that argument.

  15. #55
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mainejet; DUMB. Rex doesn't sign off the moves that his BOSS makes?! It's the other way around. THAT's how a correct football hierarchy works. Not some weird twisted conclusion that you've come to that has ZERO basis in fact.


    Yes, I think you have the reason the jets are so fugged up, we had a hierarchy where the coach was a very powerful forceful charismatic person and the GM didn't seem to have the balls to stand up to him. Hard Knocks showed a glimpse of this as did some of the draft picks over the years.

    Did Tanny respect Rex's opinion? Of course he did or else they wouldn't be working together. Tanny would have fired Rex. Did Tanny ask his opinion before he made a move? Most likely yes. After all, that's the considerate thing to do.

    Did or would Tanny ever tell REx to stfu and sit down if they did not agree? Zero evidence of that. they were on the same page for pretty well all major player movements and or signings. If Rex told Tanny he wanted certain players out they would have been gone. Your paragraph above acknowledges that they cooperated.

    But saying that Rex wanted what he wanted and Tanny was his puppet is the most insanely idiotic thing I have ever heard. That's just a Rex haters excuse for hating him. Never mind that it is completely false. Truth has no place in that argument.

    Tanny may not have been totally a puppet but you admit yourself above that they consulted and respected each others 'opinions'. If you are a coach and you don't approve of a player or move you do not go well out of your way top praise it every chance you get. You are accusing others of blaming everything on Rex for the makeup of the team when it appears you are working hard at blaming nothing on Rex and putting it all on the rogue Gm Tanny. I think most reasonable people would see it my way who have watched the evolution of the Jets the last few years.

  16. #56
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    That's the big misconception everyone is making here. They say Sanchez should have thrived because he had a great Oline & the G&P running game that was effective in years 1 & 2..
    There's no misconception, that is a fact. How many young QB's ever got as many luxuries to work with? The answer is none. He got the best of everything and he completely sh*t on everything he was given by horrible, ill advised, completely incompetent football.

    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    No , the real answer is the Jets O looked competent because it had the Oline & horses to run G&P. Sanchez was a game manager and was very seldom utilized in a way that could have really taken advantage of the Oline & running game. Normal coaches and offenses become much more aggressive and dynamic on offense when they can run like the Jets did. Rex/Jets never did that and was not to protect or coddle Sanchez it was the way Rex envisioned a offense to run.
    Very seldom utilized that he could really take advantage of the running game and OL? What about all of the play action passes Schotty would call for Sanchez? What about the roll outs he would call that Sanchez could take advantage of? What calling long balls for Sanchez in almost every single game in his rookie season? What about always putting a player in motion so Sanchez would have an easier time reading the defense? Need I go on?

    If that isn't putting Sanchez in position to take advantage of the offenses strengths then I don't what is and there certainly wasn't ANYTHING the CS could have done to help Sanchez.

    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    They never allowed Sanchez to develop into a passing QB it just did not fit into the HC's masterplan. At times when Shotty tried to open up the offense Rex shut him down. When he had to pass out of necessity the weapons he had were laughable at best, especially this past year.
    Schotty opened up the offense in Sanchez's third season to be exact. Then, Sanchez (not Rex in case you didn't know) completely fell on his face and started heaving the worst prayer balls in the world. He was horribly inaccurate and would regularly throw into sometimes triple coverage. So, yes, Rex shut that down and rightfully so. Don't try to spin this and blame Rex.

    And Sanchez had laughable weapons at best? Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes, Derrick Mason, Jeremy Kerley all say hello. TWO SB MVP's and you call them laughable at best? I think not.

    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    And please top notch Wr's ,Holmes & Burress. Holmes became disinterested because this abortion of an offense never got him the ball and Burress was never anything but a redzone threat, did you watch him run routes .

    And if you want to know who treated Sanchez like solid gold it was Tanny, Rex treated him like an afterthought like he did with most of the offense.
    OK, so now Plaxico Burress is suddenly sh*tty route runner? Holmes became disinterested? They both became disinierested because SANCHEZ could not get them the ball. Sanchez was unable to build chemistry with any of them. Meanwhile, they both have resumes proving the chemistry that they had built with several QB's in the past and were clutch WR's in the biggest spots that this game has to offer. So I guess this is just a choice of believing two WR's with a proven past or some kid that never amounted to anything despite him being the golden boy in NY.

    I know. You want to believe his side because you are a JETS FAN. I am also, but far be it for me to not tell the truth whether that indicts the QB or not.

    Tanny treated him like solid gold just like the rest of the CS including Rex did. EVERYONE treated Sanchez like solid gold and he sh*t the bed in return. He was given multiple opportunities and he made the CS regret each and every one of them. Sanchez is garbage. Not to be confused with garbage even a homeless person would want to pick through.

  17. #57
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Yes, I think you have the reason the jets are so fugged up, we had a hierarchy where the coach was a very powerful forceful charismatic person and the GM didn't seem to have the balls to stand up to him. Hard Knocks showed a glimpse of this as did some of the draft picks over the years.
    And what evidence do you have to back that up? You say you saw a glimpse of that during Hard Knocks? What part might you be referring to? I also watched Hard Knocks and I didn't see anything even closely resembling what you think? And apparently neither did Woody Johnson when he fired Tanny and NOT Rex. Honestly, WHERE in the world are you coming up with this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Did or would Tanny ever tell REx to stfu and sit down if they did not agree? Zero evidence of that. they were on the same page for pretty well all major player movements and or signings. If Rex told Tanny he wanted certain players out they would have been gone. Your paragraph above acknowledges that they cooperated.
    There's also ZERO evidence that Rex would tell Tanny to STFU. But what we do have is the evidence of one of the parties involved saying that HE, and only HE had final say on player decisions. Now, if you wanted to say something along the lines of Tanny fell hook, line, and sinker for EVERYTHING Rex said? Well, there I suppose you could argue that. But that still means that Tanny was incompetent and didn't deserve to keep his job.

    But I still would call BS because Woody fired Tanny, NOT Rex. Woody would certainly be well aware of the dynamic between his HC and GM if he's the meddling owner that everyone around here claims he is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Tanny may not have been totally a puppet but you admit yourself above that they consulted and respected each others 'opinions'. If you are a coach and you don't approve of a player or move you do not go well out of your way top praise it every chance you get. You are accusing others of blaming everything on Rex for the makeup of the team when it appears you are working hard at blaming nothing on Rex and putting it all on the rogue Gm Tanny. I think most reasonable people would see it my way who have watched the evolution of the Jets the last few years.
    If you are a HC that respects his teammates and bosses then YES, he will go the team route and never throw his BOSS of all people under the bus. That's called career suicide. That's exactly what Rex does. He goes out of his way to praise his players. He takes all of the responsibility off the players and he shoulders the blame 100%. That's what truly good HC do.

    And if Rex is this bumbling idiot that you see him as, why don't the players EVER call him out? WHY do they always speak in glowing terms of their beloved HC?

    And before you answer... With all due respect to you I believe what the players have to say. People that deal with Rex on a daily basis. Not just some fan that has never even had so much as a conversation with the guy.

  18. #58
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    The Jets drafted him, they scouted him, worked him out have had him for a couple of years, believe in him. WTF are you talking about. You act like the Jets management including Rex don't have a clue when it comes to the draft and player talent.

    Well run teams like the Giants draft their QB and invest in him by putting talent around him getting rid of the malcontents that are cancers in the locker. They don't panic when they know they have the goods.

    Now if you want to make the argument that Tanny, Rex and Shotty had no clue in making the evoluation that would make sense. Defending Rex for not wasting time in the development of Sanchez when he believed in him is simply nonesense.
    This post is complete nonsense and I have absolutely NO idea what you are trying to say.

    And for that matter, if competition is irrelevant to the Jets problems at QB as you say it is, then I guess you must think John Idzik is a complete weirdo with no idea how to run a football team, right? I mean wasn't competition at every position, including QB one of the very first things he said?

    I guess the last 20 years John Idzik spent learning the ins and outs of football hasn't taught him a thing, right?

    What John Idzik said is proof positive that is the ONLY way to run a football team. And regardless of where you pick your QB, like any good football exec knows, you cover your bets. You place them in a competitive environment and make that pick work his A$$ off and EARN a spot.

    Then, and only then, do the other players respect that player enough for things like chemistry and unity to be built.

  19. #59
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Tannenbaum made the collosal blunder of trading picks for Tebow, paying him +$3 million, then cutting Drew Stanton...and also paying him his 2012 salary as a parting gift. Also could've drafted Russell Wilson, who Bradway was adamant about us taking.

    Rex sucks as a coach but the QB situation was not his fault
    3 pages, and this was all that needed to be said.

  20. #60
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    So you had to listen to Tanny speak in an interview to figure out he was the one making the GM decisions? Almost as dumb as the notion that a 5th overall pick rookie QB needs to be 'challenged' and that 's the purpose of training camp.
    Ummmmm I agree with you. I dont get why people think the Jets not having a clear plan to groom Sanchez is somehow the players fault and not in any way the HCs or FO's blame.....

    Amazing!!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us