Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mayock says Warmack-best player on tape

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

You're talking about the #1 overall pick vs the 6-10 range.

Of course Warmack won't go with the 1st overall pick. But it wouldn't shock me at all if he goes to Cleveland at #6, thus becoming the highest selected OG in NFL Draft history. He's worth it.
    Now that's an interesting point - Trent Richardson running behind Chance Warmack . . . could be too nice for CLE to pass up.

Jets Insider VIP
    #9 pick for the NYJets is Chance Warmack.

If he is that good our Offensive line will improve from day 1. The running game will improve which means the pass action will be believable and buy the QB an extra second or so. He improves the team based on subtle increases overall.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    #9 pick for the NYJets is Chance Warmack.

If he is that good our Offensive line will improve from day 1. The running game will improve which means the pass action will be believable and buy the QB an extra second or so. He improves the team based on subtle increases overall.
    +1

We haven't really had a great OL since Woody went down with that injury in 2010. Hunter was serviceable for a couple games, got a big K out of it and after that was toilet fodder. Slauson is garbage he just wasn't an enormous downgrade from Faneca who was overpriced garbage. Moore's best days are behind him. 2011 and 2012 our OL was mediocre at best.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Now that's an interesting point - Trent Richardson running behind Chance Warmack . . . could be too nice for CLE to pass up.
    I think the Browns are going to go QB. They already have a good OL and need a sexy pick to energize their fanbase.

The kid is basically John Hannah dipped in chocolate.

I'm not passing on that in favor of the 3rd/4th rated passrusher.
    He may be rated high but the fact is you can find a good G in 3-4 rounds. You don't need to blow your load on one in the 1st unless that is the missing link. This is a really deep G draft and the G/RT FA market is actually strong this year as well. If we took one in the 1st I'd be livid. Unless he ended up being a HOF G that would be a bust pick IMO. I don't see a massive difference in the field. Cooper, Warford, Pugh, Winters, Bailey, and Watson are all guys that can be had in the 2-3 round and they are all pretty good. When you have guys like Williams, Wagner, Uzzi, and Hugh Thornton projected as 5-6 rounder that is a pretty deep RT/G class. If we have a shot at a viable QB or a guy like Mingo that has to be your 1st rounder. If we end up with a guy like William Gholston and Sanchez starting next year because we went G I will puke. That is just not an answer I like.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    I think the Browns are going to go QB. They already have a good OL and need a sexy pick to energize their fanbase.
    They have taken 2 QBs high in 2 years. If they don't want either I'll take either. If I am McCoy I'd flat out ask to be traded. McCoy is a guy I wanted for this team and Weeden doesn't look bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Richardson running behind Warmack is frightening. Could be something like AD running behind Hutchinson a few years back

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    He may be rated high but the fact is you can find a good G in 3-4 rounds. You don't need to blow your load on one in the 1st unless that is the missing link. This is a really deep G draft and the G/RT FA market is actually strong this year as well. If we took one in the 1st I'd be livid. Unless he ended up being a HOF G that would be a bust pick IMO. I don't see a massive difference in the field. Cooper, Warford, Pugh, Winters, Bailey, and Watson are all guys that can be had in the 2-3 round and they are all pretty good. When you have guys like Williams, Wagner, Uzzi, and Hugh Thornton projected as 5-6 rounder that is a pretty deep RT/G class. If we have a shot at a viable QB or a guy like Mingo that has to be your 1st rounder. If we end up with a guy like William Gholston and Sanchez starting next year because we went G I will puke. That is just not an answer I like.
    Well, relatively speaking you can find any position in the first 3-4 rounds.

People keep screaming to the high heavens that we absolutely HAVE to take a passrusher at #9. My question is...why?

Is it totally preposterous to think that someone like Alex Okafor, Brandon Jenkins, or Nick Kasa could be had in the 2nd/3rd round and turn out to be a valuable player on this defense?

I'm not sold on any of the top passrushers in this draft anyway with the exception of Damontre Moore. Mingo looks like a freaking stickman and has been wildly inconsistent throughout his career at LSU, Werner is strictly a 4-3 DE, Jarvis Jones is one collision away from being confined to a wheelchair, Dion Jordan is a jack of all trades but master of none, and Ansah is a total boom or bust prospect very comparable to last years offseason wonderboy Whitney Mercilus.

I've said for months now that Warmack is the best player in this draft class and evidently highly respected draft guru's like Mike Mayock would agree. Tony also says that Warmack at #9 would be tremendous value.

I say take the bluechip stud who is arguably the best player in this draft class, fills a position of need, and is the best player at his position to come out of the college ranks in well over a decade.

I'm an old school guy. I firmly believe in building up the trenches. Having a group of guys who can physically dominate and impose their will on opposing teams late in games.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 02-20-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Sure, you CAN find a good guard in rounds 3-4, we found Slausson in the 6th round. The point is that Warmack is not going to be a good guard, he will likely be great. It isn't a sexy pick, but with Mangold and Dbrick, its a waste not toteam them up with at least one elite guard. We have already spent the last 2 years improving our defensive front, now its time to work on our offensive front with a player that can step in right away and make an impact.

I say take the bluechip stud who is arguably the best player in this draft class, fills a position of need, and is the best player at his position to come out of the college ranks in well over a decade.
    This

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Been saying it all along. Warmack needs to be the Jets' guy at #9. Low risk, high reward that will pay off immediately.
    Agree but he'll be gone by then.

Hall Of Fame
    Warmack will make the entire offense better. We would be lucky and fortunate to get a player of his caliber. I came away very impressed from watching some of the interviews he has done on TV. Cant wait to see him at the combine.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Sure, you CAN find a good guard in rounds 3-4, we found Slausson in the 6th round. The point is that Warmack is not going to be a good guard, he will likely be great. It isn't a sexy pick, but with Mangold and Dbrick, its a waste not toteam them up with at least one elite guard. We have already spent the last 2 years improving our defensive front, now its time to work on our offensive front with a player that can step in right away and make an impact.

This
    in theory, i'm against taking a guard in the top 10. but the jets aren't drafting theoretically. they have to pick from who is there. we'd all love a qb but it doesn't make sense. we'd all love a stud pass rusher, but most come with question marks.

if the jets can trade back and get extra picks, that's great. but if they stay at 9 and the worst thing is they take warmack based on bap philosophy, i'd rather get a guy much closer to a sure thing than whiff on an olb.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Richardson running behind Warmack is frightening. Could be something like AD running behind Hutchinson a few years back
    Seattle made a Super Bowl with a good running back running (spacing the name) behind Hutchinson and Walter Jones on left tackle.

Cleveland puts Womack next to Thomas, with Richardson running behind them, you are going to hear the phrase, "Richardson, run for 8, Cleveland, second down and 2 yards to go" a lot. And any QB looks good on 2nd and 2.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    in theory, i'm against taking a guard in the top 10. but the jets aren't drafting theoretically. they have to pick from who is there. we'd all love a qb but it doesn't make sense. we'd all love a stud pass rusher, but most come with question marks.

if the jets can trade back and get extra picks, that's great. but if they stay at 9 and the worst thing is they take warmack based on bap philosophy, i'd rather get a guy much closer to a sure thing than whiff on an olb.
    Thats true. You cant apply generalizations of draft philosophy without looking at the specific draft at hand and who could be available when you pick. Like others have said, you can find quality players in any round of the draft, the importance of your first round pick is that he at least turns out to be a solid dependable starter for 8-10 years.

Plus, I believe if you draft a player in the top 10, the team drafting him can control him for 5 years, not 4 like the rest of the first round picks. The 5th year is a team option, so if the Jets were to draft Warmack at 9 they could control him for 5 years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeSauer View Post
    Agree but he'll be gone by then.
    This.

If Warmack is there at 9 it's the perfect storm of BAP and a position of need, but he'll likely be gone before that. Jets need to hope one of the QBs go higher than expected to have a chance at him.

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Gallery was drafted to be an offensive tackle, and couldn't hack it.

I hope the Jets get Warmack. You want to make any QB look good? Give him a massive O-Line. You want to make any RB look like a stud? Give him a huge crease to run behind.

Any offensive co-ordinator can look good with consistent second and 5, or second and 4. Third and 1? No problems.
    Warmack would make almost no difference at all with Sanchez at qb or greene at rb. I want to see this guy pass block before anointing him all world and if they do pick him he better be a pro bowler from season 2 to season 10. If all of the olbs are gone I might be able to stomach the pick. If not I'll be displeased.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Warmack would make almost no difference at all with Sanchez at qb or greene at rb. I want to see this guy pass block before anointing him all world and if they do pick him he better be a pro bowler from season 2 to season 10. If all of the olbs are gone I might be able to stomach the pick. If not I'll be displeased.
    greene is as good as gone and sanchez has 1 more year left here thanks to tanny. but as i've posted earlier i'd rather take a guy who is much more of a sure thing than take an olb with injury history concerns or one based more on potential than production. the jets would be lucky to trade out of the spot but if they can't i'd rather get a guy who is regarded as more of a can't miss pick. it's the gholston picks that kill you, not the mangold picks. the jets can't afford a gholston pick this year. they need guys who can come in and start whether at guard, olb or safety or wherever.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    His passblocking IS all-world.

The guy gave up 2.5 sacks in his entire college career facing some of the most dominant DL in the country.

There's nothing about Warmack that ISN'T all-world.

His passblocking IS all-world.

The guy gave up 2.5 sacks in his entire college career facing some of the most dominant DL in the country.

There's nothing about Warmack that ISN'T all-world.
    even his name is all-world. how cool would it be to buy a jet jersey with 'warmack' on it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    even his name is all-world. how cool would it be to buy a jet jersey with 'warmack' on it.
    LOL....agreed. Much better than having DucASSe on your jersey.