Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Songs with great bass

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    You're a chowd. No one cares what you say. I was first.

BTW, you idiots put too many YouTubes in your posts and now this thread is all fkd. I'll be seeing myself out.
    Might be time to upgrade that dial-up account. Waddaya got, Prodigy?

Here's the first one that came to mind when I read the thread title....

Chris Squire
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ln9T76ieaA

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Never fully embraced the whole Entwhistle love and there are LOTS of people in your camp. Guy is a true professional, GREAT bassist but I never saw anything that told me he could separate himself from the pack.
    Entwistle was not a bassist, he was a bass guitarist. Basically the guy revolutionized how the bass guitarist was viewed in rock. In the Who he was essentially a second guitar player in how his playing was featured in so many songs. Bass guitarists were in the background and not featured until Entwistle. His bass solo in "My Generation" is one of the earliest bass solos in rock history.

On a side note, Entwistle died in Las Vegas as a result of cocaine induced cardiac death while banging a girl in her 20s. If that doesnt say "rock and roll" I dont know what does.

RIP Ox

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Entwistle was not a bassist, he was a bass guitarist. Basically the guy revolutionized how the bass guitarist was viewed in rock. In the Who he was essentially a second guitar player in how his playing was featured in so many songs. Bass guitarists were in the background and not featured until Entwistle. His bass solo in "My Generation" is one of the earliest bass solos in rock history.

On a side note, Entwistle died in Las Vegas as a result of cocaine induced cardiac death while banging a girl in her 20s. If that doesnt say "rock and roll" I dont know what does.

RIP Ox
    I know... I studied bass in college. Played/practiced 10 hours a day for many years..orchestral, jazz, rock. gave it up to put numbers in boxes. I coulda been a contenda

He is a great player but I do not see him as that far ahead of many in his generation. Just my opinion. I would say Paul McCartney was a more influential player. Again..my opinon. they are both great.

At some level..monster technique is a given. There is NOTHING that McCartney or Entwhistle have done that I haven't seen a 15 year old kid do in a workshop. The talent out there is incredible. I literally have gone to workshops and been BLOWN away by young kids with more technique than one could imagine. 99 percent of them are not professional musicians by their 25th birthday.

I appreciate your point on My generation. That was early stuff.
    Its creating it that I value...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Technique and theory aside, these guys made some boss music. Singling out their lines alone, they're quite refreshing for a younger generation raised on single note power pop. In any event, there's nothing new under the sun, so I don't really care of their technique shaped or changed the scene.

Anyway, back to the tunes. Can't talk about bass without mentioning Peter Gabriel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBAl9cchQac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJWJE0x7T4Q

Very funky, very groovy. Fun stuff.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    IHe is a great player but I do not see him as that far ahead of many in his generation. Just my opinion. I would say Paul McCartney was a more influential player.
    I defer to you as a musician, but totally disagree. I'm a huge Beatles fan, but Entwhistle, in context, was absolutely far ahead. Paul was never in his league, and never strived to be that type of bass player, imho. John was a beast in his times. No doubt that 8000 kids in every industrialized country can copy his lines now, but thats not the point.

ANyhoo, off the top of my head...we are talking about songs, not players, no?

This one by the Smithereens is as simple as it gets...and alternately makes one want to play drums, bass and guitar.

Love the raw bass line, that in the end, steals the song.

http://youtu.be/qDZ_DjrpCYE

-
    Last edited by 32green; 02-14-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    I defer to you as a musician, but totally disagree. I'm a huge Beatles fan, but Entwhistle, in context, was absolutely far ahead. Paul was never in his league, and never strived to be that type of bass player, imho. John was a beast in his times. No doubt that 8000 kids in every industrialized country can copy his lines now, but thats not the point.

ANyhoo, off the top of my head...we are talking about songs, not players, no?

This one by the Smithereens is as simple as it gets...and alternately makes one want to play drums, bass and guitar.

Love the raw bass line, that in the end, steals the song.

http://youtu.be/qDZ_DjrpCYE

-
    I have no argument here.... They are both terrific. style and taste is a personal choice.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2milehighJet View Post
    I remember buying Look Sharp when it came out, great album.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a big Phil Collins fan, but the second half of In the Air Tonight has a phat bass line.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJet View Post
    I LOVE.. absolutely LOVE this album. I learned Circumstances in high school. GREAT bass work.

The entire album is a masterpiece in my opinion.

My children would sing The TREES as I played it all the time in the car when they were young.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE3FAY-NOiU

First song that popped into mind