Thread: ChiefST's offseason plan (with Trades)

ChiefST's offseason plan (with Trades)

I am of the philosophy that you put the best team possible on the field every season. I don't believe in tanking seasons at all.

Trades -

Cuts:

Standard List Here:
    Pace
    Smith
    Smith
    Tebow
    Scott

4th Rounder For Matt Flynn (Takes 5 Million in Cap Space)
    Cromartie for a 2013 2nd rounder (gain 7 Million in Cap Space in 2013)

Resign - Pace for 2 Million
    Resign - Landry at 5 Million Per
    Resign Braylon Vet Minimum
    Howard - 1.2Million Tender
    Extend Revis - Add 5 Years to his contract at 13.5Million per average with a 28Million SB - Contract back loaded with highest salaries hitting in years 3-4-5

Draft:

Trade down in round one to mid 20's range (pick up an extra 2nd rounder)
    Rd one Pick 20something) Dion Jordan OLB
    Round 2) Giovani Bernard RB
    2) For Cro - Warford G
    2) Via Trade Down Matt Elam S
    Round 3) CB Jonathan Banks
    Round 4) Traded for Flynn
    Rd 5) Landry Jones QB
    RD 6) Hugh Thornton G
    Rd 7) Ryan Otten TE

Starting Roster:

QB Flynn
    RB Bernard/Powell
    WR Hill, Holmes, Kerley, Braylon
    O Line: Brick, Warford, Mangold, Ducasse, Howard
    TE - Cumby, Reuland, Otten

Defense
    CB - Revis,Wilson, Landry, Elam
    LB - Harris, Davis, Pace, Jordan
    Dline - Wilk, Couples, Ellis, Pouha

Flame away!
    Last edited by chiefst2000; 02-14-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Pretty solid. I greatly prefer trading Revis (he is the best QB in football but he is not worth QB money or double Cro), and would not give Laron that type of money. He made it through last season but you cant expect him to hold up for 2 or 3 more seasons at that value.

I like the plan at QB, and I think it is close to what we would actually do. I seem him wanting to replicate the situation Seattle had last year at QB.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Pretty solid. I greatly prefer trading Revis (he is the best QB in football but he is not worth QB money or double Cro), and would not give Laron that type of money. He made it through last season but you cant expect him to hold up for 2 or 3 more seasons at that value.

I like the plan at QB, and I think it is close to what we would actually do. I seem him wanting to replicate the situation Seattle had last year at QB.
    If he wanted double what Cro was getting I agree. Cro is signed for 8 Million and will get closer to 10 in his next deal. I sign Revis for $13.5 Million which is reasonable for a player of his calibre. Since we don't have a franchise QB to pay and likely wont for many many years it is worth tying up that amount on a once in a generation CB. Our cap situation will ease up big time in 2014. Keeping Revis makes sense as long as he doesn't demand 15+ million.

Generally i like your plan, except i woulnt draft a QB in a weak QB class if im trading for Flynn. I would draft another OLB since the draft is so deep there.

I also dont want anything to do with Pace. Hes too much of a liability. Time to give the young guys a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    I am of the philosophy that you put the best team possible on the field every season. I don't believe in tanking seasons at all.

Trades -

Cuts:

Standard List Here:
    Pace
    Smith
    Smith
    Tebow
    Scott

4th Rounder For Matt Flynn (Takes 5 Million in Cap Space)
    Cromartie for a 2013 2nd rounder (gain 7 Million in Cap Space in 2013)

Resign - Pace for 2 Million
    Resign - Landry at 5 Million Per
    Resign Braylon Vet Minimum
    Howard - 1.2Million Tender
    Extend Revis - Add 5 Years to his contract at 13.5Million per average with a 28Million SB - Contract back loaded with highest salaries hitting in years 3-4-5

Draft:

Trade down in round one to mid 20's range (pick up an extra 2nd rounder)
    Rd one Pick 20something) Dion Jordan OLB
    Round 2) Giovani Bernard RB
    2) For Cro - Warford G
    2) Via Trade Down Matt Elam S
    Round 3) CB Jonathan Banks
    Round 4) Traded for Flynn
    Rd 5) Landry Jones QB
    RD 6) Hugh Thornton G
    Rd 7) Ryan Otten TE

Starting Roster:

QB Flynn
    RB Bernard/Powell
    WR Hill, Holmes, Kerley, Braylon
    O Line: Brick, Warford, Mangold, Ducasse, Howard
    TE - Cumby, Reuland, Otten

Defense
    CB - Revis,Wilson, Landry, Elam
    LB - Harris, Davis, Pace, Jordan
    Dline - Wilk, Couples, Ellis, Pouha

Flame away!
    You did not cut enough players to get all that cap room.

Cros' savings are canceled out by Revis 5.7 mill SB amortization. (28/5) and his replacements salary. and his salary can not increase more than 30% each year so it is not like you can back load contracts like before by giving the guy a year 1 $750,000 salary. With a 5 years contract averaging 8 mill a year (13.5- 5.7 SB) you will have to start at least at a 4 mill 1st year salary to average out 8 mill per over 5 years. So that give Revis a cap hit of 12 mill this year as you still have to account for his existing contracts SB

Those cuts leave you with about 14 of cap room with almost 7 of that allocated to the rookies. Your giving Flynn 3/4 of that and the rest to Pace.

You will not keep Howard with a 1.2 mill tag, he will easily get 2x that as an offer with no comp.

Do you actually think Edwards will only get 600,000 as a FA. Think 4X that.

Johnathan Banks in the 3rd, by all accounts he is the 3rd best cb in the draft and most likely will be gone by the jets pick in the 2nd rd.

Why do you feel Warford is suited for a ZBS

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Generally i like your plan, except i woulnt draft a QB in a weak QB class if im trading for Flynn. I would draft another OLB since the draft is so deep there.

I also dont want anything to do with Pace. Hes too much of a liability. Time to give the young guys a chance.
    I am looking at Pace in the same light as Bryan Thomas was the past few seasons. A solid run stopper that can start or provide depth at the position. If the price is right I keep him but I wouldn't pay more than 2 million or so. I haven't studied the QB class enough to feel strongly about any of them but I figured if one with potential drops to the 5th it could be worth a shot. The goal is to emulate what seattle did last season. Mayock had jones in his top 5 qb,s list. Figured he is good value in the 5th. Throw enough ****e against the wall and hope something sticks.

Veteran
    Can't see Dion Jordan being available in the "mid 20s"

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Can't see Dion Jordan being available in the "mid 20s"
    I agree. He may not even be there when we pick at 9.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    You did not cut enough players to get all that cap room.

Cros' savings are canceled out by Revis 5.7 mill SB amortization. (28/5) and his replacements salary. and his salary can not increase more than 30% each year so it is not like you can back load contracts like before by giving the guy a year 1 $750,000 salary. With a 5 years contract averaging 8 mill a year (13.5- 5.7 SB) you will have to start at least at a 4 mill 1st year salary to average out 8 mill per over 5 years. So that give Revis a cap hit of 12 mill this year as you still have to account for his existing contracts SB

Those cuts leave you with about 14 of cap room with almost 7 of that allocated to the rookies. Your giving Flynn 3/4 of that and the rest to Pace.

You will not keep Howard with a 1.2 mill tag, he will easily get 2x that as an offer with no comp.

Do you actually think Edwards will only get 600,000 as a FA. Think 4X that.

Johnathan Banks in the 3rd, by all accounts he is the 3rd best cb in the draft and most likely will be gone by the jets pick in the 2nd rd.

Why do you feel Warford is suited for a ZBS
    I'm not a cap expert but I believe there are ways to structure a Revis deal that would add Cap Space this season. (see your draft plan). Your deal signs revis and adds 3 Million to the 2013 cap I believe.

I see Edwards signing for around 1.5 Million on a 1 year deal. As far as Howard goes I am tendering him with whatever tender amount nets a 3rd round pick as compensation. I thought that was 1.2 Million or so. If he gets signed I happily use the 3rd rounder to replace him.

Dollars wise though if the cuts I made arent enough to sign Revis, Landry and Pouha I would either forego the Landry signing or look into cutting Pouha and adding 3 Million in room there. Ellis should be ready to step up at this point.