Thread: Major DUH for Tannenbaum

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Major DUH for Tannenbaum

Under the heading of "Well, duh," or "No, you know what, Sherlock" former New York Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said Thursday on NFL AM (via NFL.com here) that the contract he gave quarterback Mark Sanchez might have played a role in his firing after last season.

Tannenbaum was let go by the Jets after Sanchez received a $58.25 million extension from the club last March. That contract not only has hurt the club cap-wise, but Sanchez threw 18 interceptions and lost eight fumbles last year as the Jets dropped to 6-10.

"I don't think I would have signed a quarterback to an extension knowing that he'd have 26 turnovers," Tannenbaum said. "That might be one of the reasons I'm right sitting here with you guys. Not that this is not a great place to spend Valentine's Day."

Tannenbaum also brought Tim Tebow to New York, which not only created a media circus, but also proved to be a distraction as the floundering Jets barely used the former Heisman Trophy winner for anything on offense in 2012.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who is Tannebaum?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    "I don't think I would have signed a quarterback to an extension knowing that he'd have 26 turnovers," Tannenbaum said. "That might be one of the reasons I'm right sitting here with you guys. Not that this is not a great place to spend Valentine's Day."
    Sanchez had either 26 turnovers in 2011 also, or actually more than 26. Tannenbaum is truly a fool

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Who is Tannebaum?
    German Christmas tree..

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Sanchez had either 26 turnovers in 2011 also, or actually more than 26. Tannenbaum is truly a fool
    You can have turnovers as long as you win a Bowl like Eli in 07 had 20 picks and 13 fumbles..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You can have turnovers as long as you win a Bowl like Eli in 07 had 20 picks and 13 fumbles..
    And put your team on your back like he did for 4 games.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    Under the heading of "Well, duh," or "No, you know what, Sherlock" former New York Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said Thursday on NFL AM (via NFL.com here) that the contract he gave quarterback Mark Sanchez might have played a role in his firing after last season.

Tannenbaum was let go by the Jets after Sanchez received a $58.25 million extension from the club last March. That contract not only has hurt the club cap-wise, but Sanchez threw 18 interceptions and lost eight fumbles last year as the Jets dropped to 6-10.

Tannenbaum also brought Tim Tebow to New York, which not only created a media circus, but also proved to be a distraction as the floundering Jets barely used the former Heisman Trophy winner for anything on offense in 2012.
    The thing that might have got Tannbaum fired more was giving Revis the Jets can't franchise tag him in 2014. That bonehead move might just cost the Jets one of their best players with no real compensation coming back their way. ( Tannbaum is praying the Jets can get something back for him- if he wants to get another Gm job)

If I was Woody Johnson that was probably the final straw than M Sanchez contract.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    He missed on too many draft picks, not enough difference makers on the team. Sanchez is just one of many problems the Jets have. It's easy to see when you try to imagine how many of our players would start for Baltimore or San Fran. Probably between 2-4 on either.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    And who said Sanchez won anything?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    He missed on too many draft picks, not enough difference makers on the team. Sanchez is just one of many problems the Jets have. It's easy to see when you try to imagine how many of our players would start for Baltimore or San Fran. Probably between 2-4 on either.
    Revis, Harris, Mangold, Cromartie.... That's your 4.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Revis, Harris, Mangold, Cromartie.... That's your 4.
    Harris wouldn't have started for SF this year, maybe not Baltimore either.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The thing he said that was most hilarious was "I don't think I would have given him an extension knowing that he would have 26 turnovers." when Sanchez had 26 turnovers in 2011, too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    And put your team on your back like he did for 4 games.
    Or if your D holds an 18-0 all-time great offense to 14 points. That helps too. Not to mention holding GB and Dallas to 20 or less as well

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    The thing he said that was most hilarious was "I don't think I would have given him an extension knowing that he would have 26 turnovers." when Sanchez had 26 turnovers in 2011, too.
    Haha yep, I pointed that out earlier in the thread. Tannenbaum acting surprised by Sanchez's poor play in 2012 just shows you he had no grasp on evaluating a player.